Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dagenham away tonight 23/07

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the reports, all. Sounds like Cousins might be ready to step up. Not sure we can judge Piggott and Smith if they don't get any service. 2nd half sounded poor but that's often the case when you make tons of changes.

• Options

my report from D&R tonight.

decent first half, although it looked at times that we were playing rush striker (instead of rush goalie) with Harriott/Hollands/ Green all trying to get on the end of Kermy's flick-ons. Evina had a solid game as did Wood. 1st half MOTM is a toss up between Kermy and Jordan Cousins, who played some lovely 40-50 yard passes and always looked comfortable on the ball.

2nd half we went back into our shell & looked worse when 4 or 5 subs were made. Very disjointed and kept giving the ball away. Last 15-20 mins consisted of a front 2 of Piggott & Smith and although they tried hard they had no real service, apart from a couple of crosses that their keeper caught easily.

I know a lot of you on here think I'm a moaner, but I dread to think how this team is going to fare this season without adding another 3 or 4 bodies - mainly strikers. I think we have a decent back 5 and with Jacko, Harriott& Pritch in midfield we have some energy and oomph. We rely SO much on Kermy and god knows what would happen if he got a long term injury as he alone is holding the top end together. It seems to me that CP now realises he ain't going to get the 2 or 3 strikers that he really needs (certainly not before Aug 31st) and is trying out this 4-5-1 formation with various players making the spare man to come up with the goals. To date this has worked, but we not played anyone of note and I can see it falling apart very quickly unless we sign someone soon.

Pretty good summing up Golfie, enjoyed the first half but the second half reminded me why I don't usually go to pre-season games. We are desperate for a couple of strikers, Kermit went down after a heavy challenge and my heart was in my mouth until he got up. Joe Piggot looks the part but not ready for the first team yet IMHO, he would benefit from a loan spell in league 1.

Did anyone see the lad from TOWIE (Adam I think) is he a Charlton fan?
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

my report from D&R tonight.

decent first half, although it looked at times that we were playing rush striker (instead of rush goalie) with Harriott/Hollands/ Green all trying to get on the end of Kermy's flick-ons. Evina had a solid game as did Wood. 1st half MOTM is a toss up between Kermy and Jordan Cousins, who played some lovely 40-50 yard passes and always looked comfortable on the ball.

2nd half we went back into our shell & looked worse when 4 or 5 subs were made. Very disjointed and kept giving the ball away. Last 15-20 mins consisted of a front 2 of Piggott & Smith and although they tried hard they had no real service, apart from a couple of crosses that their keeper caught easily.

I know a lot of you on here think I'm a moaner, but I dread to think how this team is going to fare this season without adding another 3 or 4 bodies - mainly strikers. I think we have a decent back 5 and with Jacko, Harriott& Pritch in midfield we have some energy and oomph. We rely SO much on Kermy and god knows what would happen if he got a long term injury as he alone is holding the top end together. It seems to me that CP now realises he ain't going to get the 2 or 3 strikers that he really needs (certainly not before Aug 31st) and is trying out this 4-5-1 formation with various players making the spare man to come up with the goals. To date this has worked, but we not played anyone of note and I can see it falling apart very quickly unless we sign someone soon.

Pretty good summing up Golfie, enjoyed the first half but the second half reminded me why I don't usually go to pre-season games. We are desperate for a couple of strikers, Kermit went down after a heavy challenge and my heart was in my mouth until he got up. Joe Piggot looks the part but not ready for the first team yet IMHO, he would benefit from a loan spell in league 1.

Did anyone see the lad from TOWIE (Adam I think) is he a Charlton fan?
    I saw everyone having photos with some bloke. Had no idea who he was until i asked the steward.
  • Options

I make it we are still unbeaten so far this 'season' .. is that right?

Yes - five wins and one draw. Golfie's reference to Smith, above, threw me - he didn't feature last night, surely?

• Options

I make it we are still unbeaten so far this 'season' .. is that right?

Yes - five wins and one draw. Golfie's reference to Smith, above, threw me - he didn't feature last night, surely?

Smith wasn't even an unused sub last night.

• Options
    I have to say I thought Stephens was excellent first half
  • Options
    A footnote for those interested in music and pubs. I got off the District line at Upney and walked four miles across the Becontree estate to the ground, pit-stopping at the Roundhouse and the Eastbrook. The former staged bands including Floyd, Yes and Led Zepp in an annex in the early 1970s. The latter retains lavish 1930s Deco fittings including beautiful walnut panelling, Tuscan columns and stained glass. Did anyone else notice the very faint rainbow in the eastern sky during the first half? Unusual, because it wasn't raining - must have been caused by the humidity in the atmosphere.
  • Options
    Bubble said:

I have to say I thought Stephens was excellent first half

I am Stephens' biggest critic and have to agree he was strong in the challenge and accurate in his passing last night. I think we look super-fit since Spain, pinging fast diagonal balls that are instantly brought under control: pass and move. Crisp and lively. Pretty weak opposition, though - the Daggers had a good shot or two, but seemed poorer than AFC Wimbledon.

• Options

If obika is the answer to all our problems then we are doomed.

So who is the answer? Given our money situation, who would you want in to do a better job? No sillyness like Baldock either, as we know his wages would be far too high, and he'll command a fee.

• Options
    Fascinating comments about Smith, as he's injured, and did not even get on the pitch...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It was a good game. Harrington had a good first half. He made a couple of mistakes but these were due to showing off. He can't afford to do this when the season starts. However if you can't show off in a PSF when can you do it. I'm rather confident a

Harrington presumably equals Harriot
  • Options
    edited July 2013

It was a good game. Harrington had a good first half. He made a couple of mistakes but these were due to showing off. He can't afford to do this when the season starts. However if you can't show off in a PSF when can you do it. I'm rather confident a

Harrington presumably equals Harriot
    ... and Smudge7946 stops abruptly, mid-sentence. D'you think he's OK?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    N
  • Options
    edited July 2013

It was a good game. Harrington had a good first half. He made a couple of mistakes but these were due to showing off. He can't afford to do this when the season starts. However if you can't show off in a PSF when can you do it. I'm rather confident a.....

. . .. big fat octopus will be signed to accompany Yann up front before the season begins at bournemouth.
  • Options
    4-5-1 was terrible to watch in the second half last night, especially when the 3 centre mids were players who aren't known for pushing forward.
    Last season we looked hopeless most the time when we did play 1 up front; we only really found a consistent winning formula at the end of the season when we had 2 up front. I hope we don't look to play that way very often this season.

That said we looked ok in the first half because at least Harriot and Green were running at their markers on the wing and trying to put balls in.
    Cousins did look fairly solid as a holding centre mid aswell.
  • Options

4-5-1 was terrible to watch in the second half last night, especially when the 3 centre mids were players who aren't known for pushing forward.
    Last season we looked hopeless most the time when we did play 1 up front; we only really found a consistent winning formula at the end of the season when we had 2 up front. I hope we don't look to play that way very often this season.

That said we looked ok in the first half because at least Harriot and Green were running at their markers on the wing and trying to put balls in.
    Cousins did look fairly solid as a holding centre mid aswell.

I think that's a perfect summary. The 4-5-1 formation used for many home games last season was my biggest disagreement with Powell. The midfielders didn't support the lone striker well enough, and the lack of possession up front invited pressure on our defence. That was the root cause of all those defeats.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    positives from last night are that cousins looked pretty good. harriot was threatening. best move of the night was the second goal, green wining the ball passing it to solly who went on a charging run forward quick 1-2 with kermorgant and then along the by line where he passed it straight to harriot who slotted home a well drilled low shot.
    the whole team played well in the first 20mins but after that they seemed to slowly lose momentum.

green tried to get passed his marker but with lack of pace he struggled. evina seemed to get down the wing but failed on most occasions to deliver a decent ball. It was a shame that piggot and yann didn't play together. after seeing them at welling together and working well I was hoping to see more of the same.
  • Options
    Did the heat play a part as the match wore on?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Did the heat play a part as the match wore on?

Possibly, but they do all look super-fit after Spain. Probably more a case of 2-0 up after half-an-hour, so don't bust a gut for anything more.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It all sounds like a typical Charlton PSF to me. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how many we win and how many we lose, the important thing is that we build up match practice and fitness. What counts is when we walk across the whitewash on Saturday 3 August at 3pm.
  • Options
    Thanks for the highlights: neat wing-play (lots of space), and a smart save from Button.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Looked like Cousins did some good stuff from that vid. Seems to be getting a lot of game time.
  • Options
    Well done Danny Hollands too.
  • Options
    Some decent stuff on the wings.
  • Options
    Quality second goal. Move and finish was superb.
  • Options
    Haha Harriott's celebration pointing to no name on his back