Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricardo Fuller

Comments

• Options
    Kermorgant signed a new deal last summer. Probably not on £15k but at the same time I doubt he's on £5k.

True it is the whole squad (and non football staff), but the majority of that £8m+ figure will be made up of the first team players. Young pro's are probably on hundreds per week, U18s even less.

Accounts from 06/07 show we spent over £30m on wages (similar in the previous season as well) http://cafc.digital-ink.co.uk/uploads/CA_AR07.pdf

A first team squad on £10-15k a week doesn't come to anywhere near that figure. Perhaps bonuses and signing on fees come into it? Either way I think the £15k at most is undestimating the sort of money we were paying. Players like Rommedahl didn't come here for the clubs name, history, stadium or to play under Curbs/Dowie.
  • Options

If we are paying Yann anything close to the amounts being bandied about then the owners are deservedly up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

This. Yann, or anyone (Simonsen?) it would be suicide.

• Options
    Sign him up ASAP!
    Done enough for me last season, especially last ten games him and Yann were unplayable at times.
  • Options
    During the year to 30 Jun 2012 (the promotion season), total wages/salaries were £8.0m and the average number of employees was 128, of which 73 were on the playing side and 55 on the non-playing side.

With no further information other than the above, I think one can still make some reasonable assumptions. Say there are 25 senior first-team squad members (plus an addition 2 on loan at any one time), and 8 senior employees on the management/training side (Powell, Dyer, Bloom etc.), making 35 'better-paid' people on the playing side.

At an average of say £250k pa (~£5k per week), this would imply more than £8.0m alone, without any cost being applied to the remaining 93 employees.

Thus by definition the amounts we are paying the squad and important management staff must be considerably lower than even this amount. A figure closer to £150k pa (~£3k per week) must be more reasonable since this would imply £5.25m, leaving £2.75m to be spread across the remaining 93 (at an average of ~£30k pa) which feels about right given it includes many low-paid staff in operations, young pros etc.

Of course it's possible that a handful of highly-paid players and senior management (including Powell) were paid considerably more than £150k, but if so then the rest of those important 35 or so must in turn be paid less for the numbers to make sense.

Admittedly the above analysis is for the final League One season and the wage bill will have risen somewhat in the Championship, but I find the idea that any players are being paid half a million pounds a year to be ludicrous, and it would be totally inconsistent with what the publicly-available accounts are telling us.

If I'm wrong then the club is being badly mismanaged.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Fuller can be compared to JFH. A bit of a threat outside the box...decent at cutting in etc but seemingly little predatory instinct. Had a couple of very good games away from home (Watford being exceptional) but struggled in a lot of the home games. Pay him £1500/week but no more.
  • Options
    I would sign him up if we could afford his wages. Remember alot of his appearances last season were off the bench so that considered I dont think 5 goals is too bad.
  • Options

During the year to 30 Jun 2012 (the promotion season), total wages/salaries were £8.0m and the average number of employees was 128, of which 73 were on the playing side and 55 on the non-playing side.

With no further information other than the above, I think one can still make some reasonable assumptions. Say there are 25 senior first-team squad members (plus an addition 2 on loan at any one time), and 8 senior employees on the management/training side (Powell, Dyer, Bloom etc.), making 35 'better-paid' people on the playing side.

At an average of say £250k pa (~£5k per week), this would imply more than £8.0m alone, without any cost being applied to the remaining 93 employees.

Thus by definition the amounts we are paying the squad and important management staff must be considerably lower than even this amount. A figure closer to £150k pa (~£3k per week) must be more reasonable since this would imply £5.25m, leaving £2.75m to be spread across the remaining 93 (at an average of ~£30k pa) which feels about right given it includes many low-paid staff in operations, young pros etc.

Of course it's possible that a handful of highly-paid players and senior management (including Powell) were paid considerably more than £150k, but if so then the rest of those important 35 or so must in turn be paid less for the numbers to make sense.

Admittedly the above analysis is for the final League One season and the wage bill will have risen somewhat in the Championship, but I find the idea that any players are being paid half a million pounds a year to be ludicrous, and it would be totally inconsistent with what the publicly-available accounts are telling us.

If I'm wrong then the club is being badly mismanaged.

Exactly, the way people bandy these silly wages around is ridiculous, there is simply no way we are paying people 15K per week at the moment.

A mate of mine who covers Leeds for the YEP says that not even they would be paying that kind of money and doubts that anyone outside the Premiership (excluding parachuters) would be paying it either.

The revenue in the Championship is pathetic compared to the Premiership, until you get your hands on that Sky cash then you would be hard pushed to pay anyone more that 10K per week, most players in this League would be on closer to 5/6K per week and about 2,500 in L1.
  • Options
    Even if he wasn't scoring a lot, he makes things happen, a spilled shot being rebounded to a teammate to bury home, playing the pass that creates the assist, running at defenders making space for others to shoot, it's all stuff that stats won't show up but we have seen him do
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Nearly 2 years ago (October 2011) - average championship wages around £4,000 per week. See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2055140/Premier-League-wages-FIVE-times-Championship.html. Suspect that wages have actually gone down since then.
  • Options
    I'd be amazed if Yann was on anywhere close to 15k a week.

More likely to be half that with appearance and goal bonuses on top.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc-west said:

Nearly 2 years ago (October 2011) - average championship wages around £4,000 per week. See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2055140/Premier-League-wages-FIVE-times-Championship.html. Suspect that wages have actually gone down since then.

Thanks, I knew I had seen that somewhere.

Hopefully that will settle a few gullible souls down a bit.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

jamescafc said:

£12k a week. I hope we don't have any other players on 5 figures per week.

Would be amazed if Yann isn't.

The club accounts confirmed we spent something like £8m on wages in 2011/12. That doesn't work out to a squad of players all on £2-4k each a week. I'd also be surprised if that figure wasn't higher last season.
    Hmm, unless my maths is off - League One, £8m a year, assume it's all player costs with ca.30% tax/NI/other salary contributions, 40 professionals - I make it around £2.5k per week average in League One. As we retained virtually the same squad, the average would have had to increase by 60% on promotion to exceed £4k a week. I can't see that, although Fuller would have skewed things a tad.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Scoham said:

jamescafc said:

The club accounts confirmed we spent something like £8m on wages in 2011/12. That doesn't work out to a squad of players all on £2-4k each a week. I'd also be surprised if that figure wasn't higher last season.
    Hmm, unless my maths is off - League One, £8m a year, assume it's all player costs with ca.30% tax/NI/other salary contributions, 40 professionals - I make it around £2.5k per week average in League One. As we retained virtually the same squad, the average would have had to increase by 60% on promotion to exceed £4k a week. I can't see that, although Fuller would have skewed things a tad.
    But it's not all player costs - it included non-playing salaries too, including those of directors.
  • Options
    I don't think Fuller would have been on a much higher wage than anyone else, it doesn't fit with how CP builds up a squad with a team ethic, though his proven quality would no doubt make him one of the highest earners - though not to the point of 2-3 times as much as Kermorgant, JJ etc. I can see him having some decent goal/performance bonuses in there, but can't begrudge him that. He's the only player in the squad save possibly Andy Hughes who has proven consistently good above Championship level.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Scoham said:

jamescafc said:

40 professionals? The young pro's will probably be on a few hundred a week. Senior pro's was closer to 25, and I imagine players like Pritchard, Solly and Wagstaff weren't on much at the time.
  • Options
    No way is Kermogant on 15k per week. Absolutely no way. Id be suprised if he was earning above 10k.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

I don't think Fuller would have been on a much higher wage than anyone else, it doesn't fit with how CP builds up a squad with a team ethic, though his proven quality would no doubt make him one of the highest earners - though not to the point of 2-3 times as much as Kermorgant, JJ etc. I can see him having some decent goal/performance bonuses in there, but can't begrudge him that. He's the only player in the squad save possibly Andy Hughes who has proven consistently good above Championship level.

Has Andy Hughes even played above Championship level, let alone been proven consistently good?! Genuine question, not trying to nitpick.
  • Options
    @CAFCNewsAndFans: CP says the door is open for Fuller to put pen to paper! Good move for the addicks? #cafc
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

thenewbie said:

Has Andy Hughes even played above Championship level, let alone been proven consistently good?! Genuine question, not trying to nitpick.
    Apparently not! I don't know who I got him mixed up with there... Still, that just increases Fuller's value in relative terms I suppose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    plenty of quality, terribly fragile physically and spent large portions of his (brief) appearances last term grumping about cos things weren't going his way
    £650k+ cost for his 5 goals last season was obviously 10 times too much
    If he'll play for a moderate championship wage (given that he is overall a moderate championship player now) he'd be a reasonable signing - chances are some other club will take the sort of gamble spanish tony took this time last year and RF will ply his trade elsewhere.
    If RF has been training with the 1st team then his non-appearance in any of the friendlies thus far is as good a sign as we need as to where he features in SCP's plans and that's good enough for me.
  • Options

rikofold said:

Scoham said:

jamescafc said:

But it's not all player costs - it included non-playing salaries too, including those of directors.
    Hmmm, was kind of agreeing with you?
  • Options
    rikofold said:

rikofold said:

Scoham said:

jamescafc said:

Hmmm, was kind of agreeing with you?
    I know :-)
  • Options
    we never lose with andy hughes
  • Options
    I assume Powell 'leaving the door open' is basically a way of telling Fuller that his wages need to be significantly reduced if he wants to remain at Charlton.

You can't justify 12k a week (especially in our financial situation) for 5 goals in 31 games, especially considering his age and the probability of more and more injuries creeping into his game.

Lack of goals were our problem last season. I think a strike force of Kermo, Church, Fuller (on a reduced wage) and 1 more Championship quality striker would be really able to compete.
  • Options
    Looking at some of the pictures our players are putting on instagram, the wages must be fairly good. The likes of Cousins and Hariott are driving some seriously expensive cars for young pros. Poyet too although not sure how much comes from his dad.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Looking at some of the pictures our players are putting on instagram, the wages must be fairly good. The likes of Cousins and Hariott are driving some seriously expensive cars for young pros. Poyet too although not sure how much comes from his dad.

That's because the average player's definition of the 'long-term' is next week.
  • Options
    Id pay yann all the tea in China if it was my neck on the line

id pay fuller a singing bonus, an appearence fee ,a goal bonus and 5K.a week basic if in the match squad.

Id pay bent bent bent ( Mr charlton - happy days) double both of em
  • Options

Id pay yann all the tea in China if it was my neck on the line

id pay fuller a singing bonus, an appearence fee ,a goal bonus and 5K.a week basic if in the match squad.

Id pay bent bent bent ( Mr charlton - happy days) double both of em

Singing?
  • Options
    However, someone who appears unlikely to be pulling on a Charlton shirt again anytime soon is Jamaica international Ricardo Fuller.

The forward was released at the end of last season, but spent part of the summer training at Sparrows Lane in a bid to maintain his fitness.

Powell has previously expressed an interest in re-signing the veteran frontman, but – when quizzed on the subject at a press conference on Friday morning – admitted a potential transfer was now looking some way off.

“It’s all quiet on that front,” he said.

“We haven’t seen Ric, and I haven’t spoken to him, for a while now. I know there were one or two other people enquiring and looking into acquiring his services but it hasn’t happened yet.

“Who knows? It is a tough one. Ric was well liked by myself and my staff, the players and the supporters, but I have got to balance whether it is right for us and whether Ric wants to do it again.”