Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricardo Fuller

Comments

• Options

However, someone who appears unlikely to be pulling on a Charlton shirt again anytime soon is Jamaica international Ricardo Fuller.

The forward was released at the end of last season, but spent part of the summer training at Sparrows Lane in a bid to maintain his fitness.

Powell has previously expressed an interest in re-signing the veteran frontman, but – when quizzed on the subject at a press conference on Friday morning – admitted a potential transfer was now looking some way off.

“It’s all quiet on that front,” he said.

“We haven’t seen Ric, and I haven’t spoken to him, for a while now. I know there were one or two other people enquiring and looking into acquiring his services but it hasn’t happened yet.

“Who knows? It is a tough one. Ric was well liked by myself and my staff, the players and the supporters, but I have got to balance whether it is right for us and whether Ric wants to do it again.”

With Kermorgant, Sordell, Church and Pigott, I think we can quietly forget about both Fuller and Obika....

• Options
    I still think Obika will come in.
  • Options
    powell has to stick with the squad ethics a player has to want to be part of this and has to be able to understand the club and what it means if your just after a pay check then thanks but no thanks..
  • Options
    I like ol' Ric .. BUT ... we're OK with Kermorgant, Church, Sordell and Pigott .. spend any available cash on a midfielder who can pass, tackle and run at the opposition .. he won't come cheap if there is one about who is readily available
  • Options

I like ol' Ric .. BUT ... we're OK with Kermorgant, Church, Sordell and Pigott .. spend any available cash on a midfielder who can pass, tackle and run at the opposition .. he won't come cheap if there is one about who is readily available

Agree with this entirely.
  • Options

This. All day long.
  • Options
    Always have the option of a loan after the transfer window closes. He may well act before but only in the event of injury imo.
  • Options
    agim said:

The problem with Fuller is, he is great in and around the box, but when it comes to finishing his chances he really lacks that compusre. Not sure he is worth the 12k a week. Quote

Didn't see him bang that one in top corner about 25 yards out at the valley no? Sometimes wonder if people actually watch the games

Saw that goal, I think. Wasn't it the one against Peterborough where he smashed it in from a distance and did his hamstring or something at the same time and limped off injured?
  • Options

agim said:

The problem with Fuller is, he is great in and around the box, but when it comes to finishing his chances he really lacks that compusre. Not sure he is worth the 12k a week. Quote

Didn't see him bang that one in top corner about 25 yards out at the valley no? Sometimes wonder if people actually watch the games

Saw that goal, I think. Wasn't it the one against Peterborough where he smashed it in from a distance and did his hamstring or something at the same time and limped off injured?
    Yes, Fuller certainly did that.

• Options

agim said:

Yes, Fuller certainly did that.

Yep... Once in the season... 12k.... 5 goals....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Off topic but this proves we've strengthened over the summer and we're stronger than last season. At the end of last season our priorities were strikers and defenders. Now we've got that covered we want to strengthen the midfield.
  • Options

Off topic but this proves we've strengthened over the summer and we're stronger than last season. At the end of last season our priorities were strikers and defenders. Now we've got that covered we want to strengthen the midfield.
    At the end of last season our priority was most certainly midfield.
  • Options

exactly .. good all round midfielders are a rare species .. Stephens is the closest we have .. if only Powell could get him fired up and consistent on a weekly basis our midfield weakness would be a long way to being resolved .. still. Stephens is still quite young
  • Options
    Player costs are not seperated out so the averages quoted above make sense except for one thing... During the Trust's research into last seasons finances we discovered that revenue was up by c.£3.5M partly tickets but mainly the TV deal in the Championship is far, far better than League 1. The estimated losses are the same for the following reasons:
    Signing Fuller on quite a big deal... various loan players - not cheap... AND a general increases in first team contracts - built in because of promotion
    Rumour has it that Celtic came in for a certain player and he received an increased deal for staying put... but nowhere has a reliable source put that number anywhere near or above £10K per week.
    If we need Fuller and he is willing to drop his demands then maybe there is a deal?
  • Options
    Fuller is a free agent and can be signed (by any club) even after the transfer window closes.

Not that it would help his fitness.
  • Options
    I'm sure he's holding out for the most money. In today's climate though I think he needs to get realistic. He will, eventually.
  • Options
    Rob said:

I'm sure he's holding out for the most money. In today's climate though I think he needs to get realistic. He will, eventually.

it doesn't seem that the queue for his services is very long .. nowadays clubs just will not take a punt on any player who's all round fitness is an issue
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited August 2013
    My sentiments exactly. And he's no spring chicken
  • Options
    We need a player of Ric's ilk for games like today. Both teams playing shite - one moment of out of the blue magic could settle it.
  • Options
    Is he still training with us? Everytime Yann went down today made me think how lacking we are in the strikers department...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Is he still training with us? Everytime Yann went down today made me think how lacking we are in the strikers department...

Not been with us for about two weeks. CP not had contact with him for that period.

• Options

We need a player of Ric's ilk for games like today. Both teams playing shite - one moment of out of the blue magic could settle it.

Thought this today aswell.

Knock him for his goal return but he certainly could make things happen to liven up our chance of scoring.

Need a centre mid now so all the best to Ricky.
  • Options

Dead right EA.
    We haven't got a player that can make something happen.
    As soon as Boro took the lead you knew the game was lost

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I was really missing Fuller today - we were crying out for a player that could do something on his own!!!
  • Options

I was really missing Fuller today - we were cruing out for a player that could do something on his own!!!

Second that, Muttley.

But I would have settled for Young Joe P .

• Options
    Fuller was given the chance?

Or am i wrong?
  • Options
    Fuller wasn't released for performance reasons. It was money. We signed him up on a 1-year contract, with an option to a second on the same wages, which were our highest. I think Powell was hoping to get him back on reduced wages, but that hasn't happened for one reason or another.
  • Options
    Looks like Fuller is signing for Blackpool on a one year contract with a one year option.
  • Options

Fuller wasn't released for performance reasons. It was money. We signed him up on a 1-year contract, with an option to a second on the same wages, which were our highest. I think Powell was hoping to get him back on reduced wages, but that hasn't happened for one reason or another.

So if he had scored 30 goals last season he would have been released ? I would imagine it was a mixture of both and if he's earning the highest wages his contribution should be amongst the most important. He was decent and showed flashes of being a class above but his performances were not consistent enough to justify the wages he was being paid.
  • Options

So if he had scored 30 goals last season he would have been released ? I would imagine it was a mixture of both and if he's earning the highest wages his contribution should be amongst the most important. He was decent and showed flashes of being a class above but his performances were not consistent enough to justify the wages he was being paid.