Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cyclists on the road

Comments

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

This riding two-a-breast thing does my head in too and I'm consider myself a proper cyclist.

If you go on one of the organised Sky Rides, they encourage the riders to ride two-a-breast so as to make the riders more visible and safer to the passing traffic.

I totally disagree with this.

It was the same when riding with my old club when I first started cycling. Two or three-a-breast seemed to be the norm. The people were more interested in chatting than getting any better and as a result they had absolutely no road awareness and were literally a danger to themselves and others.

Its worse when there's a big group, say 16-20 riders or more on a country lane when they leave no space for cars to pull into when overtaking.

When I'm riding with my mate, who I've literally rode thousands of miles with, we're fairly sensible. We'll ride two-a-breast when its safe and we need to chat but as soon as we see a car approaching from front or behind, we instantly drop into single file, no matter what the road conditions are. When we're properly training, we spend most of the time taking turns on each others back wheel anyway.

I wish all cyclists were like you - sadly many think they own the road and don't care about anyone else on the road at all.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

This riding two-a-breast thing does my head in too and I'm consider myself a proper cyclist.

If you go on one of the organised Sky Rides, they encourage the riders to ride two-a-breast so as to make the riders more visible and safer to the passing traffic.

It was the same when riding with my old club when I first started cycling. Two or three-a-breast seemed to be the norm. The people were more interested in chatting than getting any better and as a result they had absolutely no road awareness and were literally a danger to themselves and others.

Its worse when there's a big group, say 16-20 riders or more on a country lane when they leave no space for cars to pull into when overtaking.

When I'm riding with my mate, who I've literally rode thousands of miles with, we're fairly sensible. We'll ride two-a-breast when its safe and we need to chat but as soon as we see a car approaching from front or behind, we instantly drop into single file, no matter what the road conditions are. When we're properly training, we spend most of the time taking turns on each others back wheel anyway.

I wish all cyclists were like you - sadly many think they own the road and don't care about anyone else on the road at all.
    There are plenty of vehicle drivers who don't care at all about other road users,especially cyclists, as well - just look at some of the posts on here.
  • Options
    iainment said:

JohnBoyUK said:

There are plenty of vehicle drivers who don't care at all about other road users,especially cyclists, as well - just look at some of the posts on here.
    Yes I know, but as this is a thread on cyclists, my comment was related to cyclists.
  • Options

4 cyclists riding 4 deep up seven sisters rd this morning at about half 1 causing buses and cars to go rd them got abusive to anyone who confronted them until they got to the lights at manor house and 2 fellas jumped out of their car and twatted all 4 laugh couldn't stop they rode single file all the way to Tottenham hale there after i rode so slowly home laughing at them it added an hr to my journey

Lost interest in this post after the 8th word.
  • Options
    You get loads of cyclists round here in their lycras, riding 2-3 deep. Its the main reason I hate all cyclist the planet over
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

You get loads of cyclists round here in their lycras, riding 2-3 deep. Its the main reason I hate all cyclist the planet over

Is there any real reason why your ordinary cyclist wears lycra?

I mean, I get why the top cyclists will look to do anything to improve their aero dynamics and shave a second or two off their times (as well as shave their legs), but it does make me laugh when you see these fellas in all the gear going to the supermarket!

So come on, all you cyclists on here - who's going to admit to dressing up in all the gear for no other reason than it makes them feel like they are Bradley Wiggins?
  • Options
    lol, you cant ride a road bike wearing anything but lycra. Its a comfort thing...as well as aerodynamics.
    Aerodynamic drag is the main reason though. You'll need to have a degree in Physics to understand why though. On a time trial, I think I read somewhere its 60% of the energy used it just to overcome the drag. Thus you wear the tightest fitting body suits to reduce drag and save your energy...blah blah blah.

Anyway, there are set rules to follow ;)

Oh and I have my legs waxed now, it took me far too long to shave them...
  • Options
    Off_it said:

BIG_ROB said:

I mean, I get why the top cyclists will look to do anything to improve their aero dynamics and shave a second or two off their times (as well as shave their legs), but it does make me laugh when you see these fellas in all the gear going to the supermarket!

So come on, all you cyclists on here - who's going to admit to dressing up in all the gear for no other reason than it makes them feel like they are Bradley Wiggins?
    So if you are going for a run or playing football you'd just wear everyday clothes - after all you're not Mo or Ronaldo are you?

It's a comfort right clothes for the job thing. Having said that I go for baggy cycling shorts and pretty drab tops.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Off_it said:

BIG_ROB said:

So if you are going for a run or playing football you'd just wear everyday clothes - after all you're not Mo or Ronaldo are you?

It's a comfort right clothes for the job thing. Having said that I go for baggy cycling shorts and pretty drab tops.
    You don't see many joggers in running vests and spikes. And you don't see many people in the park having a kick about in full kit, pads and boots.

You see a hell of a lot of people - mainly fellas, it has to be said - flying down the road dressed up like they're king of the mountains though!
  • Options
    iainment said:

I hope you're not wearing baggy shorts on a road bike? Otherwise, you'll be referred to rule #18. Tut tut ;)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    PS. I'm guessing that's two lycra clad responses. Anyone want to be brave?
  • Options
    I don't wear lycra - just the same sort of technical materials as when I run. The shorts have cycle pads in them though.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

PS. I'm guessing that's two lycra clad responses. Anyone want to be brave?

Its a comfort thing as John says. If you wear thicker material I find I sweat bucket loads and well when you're on your bike for 2-3 hours thats just unpleasant.

Plus I hate the flapping about in the wind of loser clothing when I'm on the bike, bloody pisses me off. So yep, lyrca for me all the way.

• Options
    Personally I don't cycle anymore living in London it is about as safe as freebasing. That said I think most cyclists are resonsible however the minority (and there are a lot of them) who spoil it for the rest really annoy me. Not long ago my daughter was nearly mown down in Charing Cross road by a cyclist who was riding at high speed on the pavement. For me that should be a criminal offence it is just plain daft and dangerous.

As for helmets well I guess it's the same argument as motorcycles I tend to fall on the side of compulsory that way kids get to learn good habits. Lights if they are not on again should be an offence you often see people riding at night with no visibility at all but if you knock them off their bike you get done for undue care and attention madness! lastly ignoring the rules of the road like red lights. Not sure what you can do but I suppose if seen an on the spot fine which if it isn't paid the bike gets impounded. Can't think of any other way.

Just want to say I am not anti bike or anti cyclists its great exercise and in the right environment a great way to see any country but London? No thanks
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

iainment said:

I hope you're not wearing baggy shorts on a road bike? Otherwise, you'll be referred to rule #18. Tut tut ;)

No, it's an old Sirrus. I am thinking of getting a cyclocross or cargo bike though as the roads round here are awfully hard on the bike.
    I don't particularly like road bikes.

• Options
    iainment said:

JohnBoyUK said:

iainment said:

No, it's an old Sirrus. I am thinking of getting a cyclocross or cargo bike though as the roads round here are awfully hard on the bike.

You are therefore excused from the rules.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

iainment said:

JohnBoyUK said:

iainment said:

Do you post on bikeradar?
  • Options
    I thought the same to be honest. Does it really make a massive difference wearing shorts and tshirts while cycling.

They even put the sunglasses on too when they blatantly dont need them. Seems to me, as soon as the lycra goes on they go all cav and wiggins down waterloo road. I should get someone on the back of my scooter facing the other way with the camera in there face just to top it off.

Ive also noticed a cyclist is never wrong. You will never win an argument with a cyclist.
  • Options

I thought the same to be honest. Does it really make a massive difference wearing shorts and tshirts while cycling.

They even put the sunglasses on too when they blatantly dont need them.

I find it does - if I wear ordinary clothes I almost drown in my sweat but with the right sort of clothing it's ok. So, as I said earlier, I wear a wicking shirt and baggy cycling shorts. They're not like the TdF riders gear but do the same job.
    As to the sunglasses they do make a hell of a difference, even if it's just to protect your eyes from insects, grit and other detritus. A good pair actually help your vision and make the road ahead clearer. I don't know why but there is a lot of research into this which I'll leave you to google.
  • Options
    Wear my Oakley Radars for full eye protection, even at night as got clear lenses in. When you're riding along at 25-30mph, any bit of grit or an insect going into your eye is going to bloody hurt and you could come a serious cropper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

JohnBoyUK said:

iainment said:

JohnBoyUK said:

iainment said:

Do you post on bikeradar?
    Ha, no but used to read it a bit. I was introduced to the rules by Charlton Charlie who posts on here.
  • Options
    iainment said:

They even put the sunglasses on too when they blatantly dont need them.

I find it does - if I wear ordinary clothes I almost drown in my sweat but with the right sort of clothing it's ok. So, as I said earlier, I wear a wicking shirt and baggy cycling shorts. They're not like the TdF riders gear but do the same job.
    As to the sunglasses they do make a hell of a difference, even if it's just to protect your eyes from insects, grit and other detritus. A good pair actually help your vision and make the road ahead clearer. I don't know why but there is a lot of research into this which I'll leave you to google.
    Cant be bothered to be honest mate but I do get the grit in the eye thing.

Fecking annoying when im doing 70 on me little pop pop bike along the old kent road.
  • Options
    When it comes to your Clarksonesque hatred of cyclists, some of you need to rule 5 it.

Also - I've never seen a cyclist wearing lycra during anything other than cycling or pre/post cycling activities. Are there really the cycling equivalent of Full Kit Wankers out there who wear lycra, cleats and a helmet to go down the shops or to the pub?

As alluded to above, wearing glasses is essential - a fly in the eye at 40 mph is not a pleasant experience!

To further back up what JohnBoy and others have said, lycra is essential for a semi serious cyclist. Even setting aside the sanctity of The Rules, it makes a massive difference. I really wish it didn't, because to be honest it makes mere mortals look like tits, but having started wearing it about a month after I got my road bike, I can safely say its made a huge difference. Its more comfortable and definitely makes a huge difference to times.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed this out but lights are already a legal requirement and the drink driving laws apply to bicycles too.

• Options
    If I had yo wear Lycra to be able to ride a pissing bike, I wouldn't ride it....... Simple
  • Options
    You'd love it. Lycra makes you feel like a real man. Shows off your pecs, biceps and meat & two veg - plus you develop fuck-off big quads and calves.

Added bonus - tan lines of note.
  • Options

You'd love it. Lycra makes you feel like a real man. Shows off your pecs, biceps and meat & two veg - plus you develop fuck-off big quads and calves.

Added bonus - tan lines of note.

You big pussy!

Still, makes a change from your normal spandex I suppose!
    ;-)
  • Options
    LOL Spandex. I never did listen to Cinderella, Poison or Ratt on my ride to Paris offy. The bastards wouldn't let us listen to headphones.
  • Options

When it comes to your Clarksonesque hatred of cyclists, some of you need to rule 5 it.

Also - I've never seen a cyclist wearing lycra during anything other than cycling or pre/post cycling activities. Are there really the cycling equivalent of Full Kit Wankers out there who wear lycra, cleats and a helmet to go down the shops or to the pub?

As alluded to above, wearing glasses is essential - a fly in the eye at 40 mph is not a pleasant experience!

To further back up what JohnBoy and others have said, lycra is essential for a semi serious cyclist. Even setting aside the sanctity of The Rules, it makes a massive difference. I really wish it didn't, because to be honest it makes mere mortals look like tits, but having started wearing it about a month after I got my road bike, I can safely say its made a huge difference. Its more comfortable and definitely makes a huge difference to times.

Unbelievably driving on the way to football tonight I saw a bloke walking down the street with cycling shorts, the shoes with the spikes on they wear and the over the top Oakley sunglasses but no bike to be seen. Make it even weirder he was pulling along one of those old shopping bag things that me nan used to have.

God knows what he was up too but he looked like a massive bell end.
  • Options
    Quite possible that his bike got nicked! Happened to a mate of mine last week - got to the station from work to find some c*** had nicked his bike. 85 quid lock destroyed, probably by liquid nitrogen or frozen air, bike gone. CCTV camera not working either.