Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gareth Bale

Comments

• Options
    The post you quoted of mine is from 2019 @JohnBoyUK . There's no suggestion of Bale going to PSG now or of Madrid having any say over where he does go, three years on. Looks like he's going to Cardiff.
    Haha, so it was!  consider my wrist duly slapped!
  • Options
    I believe he might end up at Southampton
  • Options
    Read an article the other day questioning whether he was ultimately a success at Madrid.

85m transfer fee plus a reported 200m in wages across his 9 years there.
    258 appearances and 106 goals. Over 1m per appearance and over 2.5m per goal.
    Fans hated him towards the end and kind of tarnished the first few good years he had.

But he scored important goals, was a key player in 4 CL wins (can't really count the 5th) and won them the Spanish cup with that incredible goal where he ran off the pitch and around the defender.

Does that make him worth the money?
  • Options
    Read an article the other day questioning whether he was ultimately a success at Madrid.

Fans hated him towards the end and kind of tarnished the first few good years he had.

But he scored important goals, was a key player in 4 CL wins (can't really count the 5th) and won them the Spanish cup with that incredible goal where he ran off the pitch and around the defender.

Why did Real fans hate him?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Why did Real fans hate him?
    This flag didn't exactly help!

• Options
    I reckon Southampton. No way can i see him in the champ getting the shit kicked out of him and risking injury before the world cup. If he goes to Cardiff it will be to be close to Celtic Manor
  • Options
    I reckon Southampton aswell
  • Options
    Madrid fans are funny - they tend to turn against players very quickly. A lot I know did value him, especially in his first years when he scored some important goals but many seem to be quite against him for things like the flag incident and for never speaking to them in interviews: stuff that's not as important as the on the pitch performance.  Madrid fans do have a very inflated sense of importance though and want their players to constantly recognise the grandeur of the club, something with which Bale didn't really want to play the game at.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm sure Real made a pretty penny off of his image rights, shirt and merchandise sales (particularly the first few seasons there) so I highly doubt the actual cost to RM has been anything like that. 
  • Options
    Glad you agree with yourself, mate.

Long day, didnt even realised id typed that first bit  :p
  • Options
    Gareth is Cardiff bound .. he'll play the odd game of football and a lot of golf, and be admired and loved as a demi god and Welsh wizard
  • Options
    Made me laugh when Gabbidon said in the post match analysis "that's Gareth's goal". Not sure the dubious goals comity are still around, but I'm pretty sure that was an own goal from wherever you were sitting! Decent ball into the box though to be fair, which left the defender with little option but to put something on it.
  • Options
    Signing for LAFC in MLS.
  • Options
    Signing for LAFC in MLS.
    Assume he will go on loan so he’s playing before the WC? 

Guess that’s a way Cardiff can afford to have him. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    is LA a different club to LA Galaxy?
    Or is it a rebranding?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    is LA a different club to LA Galaxy?
    Or is it a rebranding?
    Yeah they are two different clubs 
  • Options
    Gareth is Cardiff bound .. he'll play the odd game of football and a lot of golf, and be admired and loved as a demi god and Welsh wizard
    In a years time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    he has retired from Club and International Football.
    What a career he has had.
    He can fully concentrate on his golf. 
  • Options
    Fair play to him, a great career
  • Options
    Not surprised, he looked awful @ the World Cup
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    he has retired from all football with immediate effect.
    Indeed. One of the best ever British players .... in terms of talent plus achievements then probably the best.
  • Options
    Does that mean his last ever competitive football match was getting tonked 3-0 by England at the world cup? Quite fitting really
  • Options
    Salad said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Indeed. One of the best ever British players .... in terms of talent plus achievements then probably the best.
    Hmmm…if we’re including achievements, I’d probably say Bobby Charlton has him beaten. 
  • Options
    Salad said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Lol no he's not, how many trophies did he win and actually have a major contribution to winning them? He's not on the level of many players England have had over the years, and certainly not better than people like Dalgleish, George Best and others over the years.