Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

4th Ashes Test

Comments

• Options
    Got to say bell has really changed my opinion of him. Obviously talented, and with a good average, but most of his runs came with England on top. If we were collapsing he rarely stood up to be counted. This series however has been the making of him I believe, 3 tons, all with our backs against the wall. Big big shout for man of the series.
  • Options

Got to say bell has really changed my opinion of him. Obviously talented, and with a good average, but most of his runs came with England on top. If we were collapsing he rarely stood up to be counted. This series however has been the making of him I believe, 3 tons, all with our backs against the wall. Big big shout for man of the series.

Always rated Bell. I know what you mean about his runs never seeming to be 'important' before, I've never agreed with that, but concede its a perfectly valid view. Hopefully this series has put that totally to bed. Can't see another choice for man of the series, personally. Bell has been the absolute epitome of consistency.
  • Options
    Yep, bell's been brilliant this series. Always had a gorgeous technique but felt he lacked the mental strength. Making me eat humble pie now.
  • Options
    Without Bell England would be in huge trouble in the series, Cook, Trott and Prior have not performed and Root has one score in eight knocks and Bairstow has struggled too.

Bell and Swann are the difference between the teams.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bell was seriously good in the last ashes in Aus as well. Think he averaged over 100 for the year. Can be inconsistent and hits too many pretty 30s... But this serious he is England's no 1, with only maybe Swann and Anderson making decent contributions in more than one match
  • Options

Yep, bell's been brilliant this series. Always had a gorgeous technique but felt he lacked the mental strength. Making me eat humble pie now.

No need to eat humble pie - the past criticism of Bell for not scoring hard runs was perfectly legitimate. Too often he'd score a pretty 30/40/50 and then gift his wicket away and other teams knew they could bully him into submission and often did. That has slowly changed and it hasn't just been about this one series, he's scored runs in other tough situations - in South Africa and India but perhaps he has needed this series of consistent scores to demonstrate that he can be head and shoulders above his colleagues when it matters.

Anyway back to this Test, it's turning into potentially the best of the series to date. This morning the advantage was all Australia's but Broad, Swann and Anderson ensured that their tail did not wag and despite three early wickets Bell and KP have given England something to defend. Another 50-60 runs should be enough to set up a fascinating last innings and then it'll be about who wants to win the most. Anderson will be gagging for a few wickets and Broad was hitting the straps. A bit of rough should give Swann something to bowl into.

• Options
    Tomorrow should be fascinating, as all possible results are still on, and despite some rain being likely, plenty of time left in the match
  • Options
    England's burst of wickets in the first hour was critical, especially the two from Swann.

The ball to get Haddin was a beauty, those two wickets arguably turned the game.
  • Options
    251/6 - Bell gone for 113.

New ball causing a few problems for England.
  • Options
    Prior gone first ball
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Harris on a hat trick
  • Options
    Harris is on a hat trick. Bowled them both with the new ball, which looks unplayable. The old ball was doing nothing.
  • Options
    Survived.
  • Options
    255-7, lead by 223

Think we need to get the lead to 250 as a bare minimum, but we would want closer to 350 in an ideal world.
  • Options
    Stay in till at least lunch. Weather forecast not clever after one
  • Options
    Broad gone. 8 down for 275
  • Options
    275/8 Broad goes - short and sweet 13

Lead of 243.
  • Options
    Bresnan just hit 14 runs off Bird's last over.
  • Options
    290-8 (258 lead).
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    296-8 what a great Test Match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't see the Aussies chasing down 280 + . Come on England. I'm sitting by the pool on holiday in Spain listening to TMS . Bliss
  • Options
    Well done Bres, it's definitely not the time to be waiting for a Jaffa (because it will come and judging by the last 3 not a lot can be done about it), knock the runs off while you can.

We're into that minimum territory now. Maybe stretch closer to 280+ lead, every run counts now.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    300 up. Lead of 268
  • Options
    300 lead would be such a psychological boost... 10 runs at a time.
  • Options
    274 lead at drinks. Swann and bres can thump it. Could end up with a very defendable total. Anything can happen in a low scoring game
  • Options
    Defend against Harris - score at the other end.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bresnan out. c and b Harris. Lead of 285
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Typical. Whenever I walk out the room I miss a wicket. It seems to happen every time.

Likewise with football & missing goals. It really is uncanny.

PS Steve Smith drops Swann :-)
  • Options
    The ball is doing something... If Broad carries on like the first innings, Jimmy is Jimmy and Bres plugs away, this could be fun.

that'll be a Warner and Smith double century stand then. I'd eat my own eyes if that happened.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Typical. Whenever I walk out the room I miss a wicket. It seems to happen every time.

Likewise with football & missing goals. It really is uncanny.

PS Steve Smith drops Swann :-)
    Tie a knot in it :-)