Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup in Qatar 'impossible' in summer, says Greg Dyke

Comments

• Options
    Round by round voting

Qatar 11 10 11 14
    USA 3 5 6 8
    South Korea 4 5 5 –
    Japan 3 2 – –
    Australia 1 – – –
    Total Votes 22 22 22 22

• Options

Australia came last in the voting... United States were second followed by South Korea and Japan (separate bids)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup#Host_selection

Was strange that Australia came behind those three as FIFA are forever saying they want to take the tournament to new countries (Yet those three have already hosted before)

Australia's bid was a total clusterfuck, a real comedy of errors.

It was spearheaded by Frank Lowy - the guy who owns Westfield - and he fell for the charms of some Hungarian lobbyist who convinced him he could deliver the votes for Australia.

So, Frank (who basically runs football in Australia) gets the federal government to tip $43 million into the pot to win the World Cup - and ended up without a single vote but their own.

Basically, the Aussies tried to play on the big stage and got exposed as total lightweights and naive beyond belief.
  • Options
    Cheers for the insight Ormiston... Could never understand why their bid was pretty much ignored after seeing the votes as I think Australia would be an awesome place to host the World Cup, one of the big / popular countries in the world yet to have a chance
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Round by round voting

Qatar 11 10 11 14
    USA 3 5 6 8
    South Korea 4 5 5 –
    Japan 3 2 – –
    Australia 1 – – –
    Total Votes 22 22 22 22

I know everyone assumes (and probably correctly) that it was all about money, when you look at who Qatar were up against, it's no surprise they won. USA and Japan/Korea have both held recent world cups and Australia is a million miles away and it'd be winter then.
  • Options

Cheers for the insight Ormiston... Could never understand why their bid was pretty much ignored after seeing the votes as I think Australia would be an awesome place to host the World Cup, one of the big / popular countries in the world yet to have a chance

It could do it easily, the stadiums are here already with probably about 10 decent stadiums already here, two each in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and one each in Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Newcastle.

Politics though dictates that it won't happen, we are getting the Asian Cup later this year but that's as good as it will get.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

MrOneLung said:

Round by round voting

Qatar 11 10 11 14
    USA 3 5 6 8
    South Korea 4 5 5 –
    Japan 3 2 – –
    Australia 1 – – –
    Total Votes 22 22 22 22

I know everyone assumes (and probably correctly) that it was all about money, when you look at who Qatar were up against, it's no surprise they won. USA and Japan/Korea have both held recent world cups and Australia is a million miles away and it'd be winter then.
    It was winter in south áfrica in 2010 and will be winter in a lot of the cites in brazil 2014.

Even though those countries who bid with qatar have hosted it recently in my book qatar are still bottom of that group by a long, Long way. So Corrupt its almost Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Couldn't a fans boycott petition be organised? To my mind that would be the only way to get any change.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Couldn't a fans boycott petition be organised? To my mind that would be the only way to get any change.

I imagine the Qatari's will just force all the Nepalese who built the stadiums to fill them as well if the real fans boycotted
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    In no organisation in which there was a smidgen of accountability would the Management survive something as absurd as this. It really is quite shocking.

You require a number of countries to spend millions of pounds bidding to host the competition. You then make a decision that a 10-yr schoolboy (or girl) can immediately see is ridiculous. When you are then forced to face the reality of the situation you retrospectively change the nature of the bid without remorse or a care in the world. In the meantime, creating massive disruption and cost to many of your constituents.

Self governance at its most incompetent and corrupt.
  • Options

iainment said:

I imagine the Qatari's will just force all the Nepalese who built the stadiums to fill them as well if the real fans boycotted
    I think the boycott - if it happened - would also be targeted at broadcasters and the WC sponsors like Coca Cola etc. I think if they thought there would be no audience they would have a word with FIFA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

I think the boycott - if it happened - would also be targeted at broadcasters and the WC sponsors like Coca Cola etc. I think if they thought there would be no audience they would have a word with FIFA.
    Forgive my ignorance but then wouldnt we also need to boycott watching on the TV as the sponsors like Coca Cola would still get their advertising air time with ITV Ads and the sponsorship boards at the stadiums... I guess the only big sponsor to miss out would be Mastercard (or is it VISA for the WC?)
  • Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

Forgive my ignorance but then wouldnt we also need to boycott watching on the TV as the sponsors like Coca Cola would still get their advertising air time with ITV Ads and the sponsorship boards at the stadiums... I guess the only big sponsor to miss out would be Mastercard (or is it VISA for the WC?)
    Yes, also to not buy newspapers that intend to send people to the WC, to boycott any team sponsors products or any other companies World Cup themed competitions or products.
  • Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

Whilst that is true, I would imagine that the likes of Coca Cola and McDonalds would still be less than happy to be associated with something that many of its potential customers have chosen to boycott.

Irrelevant anyway - zero chance of an organised boycott, although it's certainly feasible that some of the games could be quite poorly attended due to lack of interest and general reluctance to travel to a country where many elements of Western culture are not welcome.
  • Options
    There's a chance as the boycott should be with the intent of giving the tournament to the USA as they came second in the ballot. There's be a few who'd prefer a trip there.
  • Options
    The boycott would also include sending emails or letters to this crowd.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/partners/
  • Options
    If there's any interest on here I'll draft something for discussion and see if it's worth a punt on publishing.
  • Options
    I cannot believe there hasn't been a world cup in England since 1966. At the very earliest we'll see one here in 2026. Both Mexico & Germany have had it twice in that time.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I cannot believe there hasn't been a world cup in England since 1966. At the very earliest we'll see one here in 2026. Both Mexico & Germany have had it twice in that time.

Brazil had to wait 64 years.....and they may still not be ready.

• Options
    PopIcon said:

I am ready to be shot down in flames here mate, and I know there are quite a few other countries to whom this could apply, but could it be because if necessary FIFA know that we could satisfactorily stage a world cup at a months notice if the sh1t hit the fan elsewhere? It's not fair of course, but it might be something they have considered?
  • Options

PopIcon said:

I am ready to be shot down in flames here mate, and I know there are quite a few other countries to whom this could apply, but could it be because if necessary FIFA know that we could satisfactorily stage a world cup at a months notice if the sh1t hit the fan elsewhere? It's not fair of course, but it might be something they have considered?
    Well it's certainly true that we could do that. One of the few countries in the World who could host a tournament without having to piss away millions on developing stadiums and transport infrastructure. Would like to think we'd tell them to eff off as a matter of principle, but no doubt money would dictate that we'd jump at the chance, if it ever came to that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

That fact proves FIFA corruption too.
  • Options

PopIcon said:

There is no doubt that we are one of the best equipped counties to hold a world cup at short notice. We have world class stadiums, have a more than adequate travel network and most importantly for FIFA an England world cup would be a sell out world cup. 60 years is too long and I couldn't envisage FIFA pulling a world cup from under another country. The brown envelopes have already been passed.
  • Options
    Yes, they will have spent the money they were given as bribes.
  • Options
    gonna be a disaster whatever happens. It will affect more than one domestic season and means more games being played in our summertime so affecting crowd levels and possibly even season ticket sales. The 2022/2023 will have to start early so will that mean the previous season ending earlier? If so will that season start earlier too? If not then the close season in 2022 will be shorter so affecting recuparation and pres season schedules. And that is just the start. It will be a right old mess.
  • Options
    Just read that the African nations cup is scheduled for January 2023, so if a club has a few africans, they'll be gone for about 3 months!
  • Options
    The only people that could get FIFA to change the date are the tv companies. Am sure they would prefer to bolster their figures during the fallow summer months than during run up to Xmas when all the advertising is booked out anyway.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Colombia were chosen to host the World Cup in 1986, but were unable to fulfil their commitments and resigned, i.e. I do not believe that FIFA made the decision. Mexico was then chosen to step in. I guess partly because they were in the right region (though Mexico is in CONCACAF not CONMEBOL, of course) and partly because they'd only recently hosted it (1970) and we're deemed capable.

We competed with Germany to host the 2006 World Cup, but lost unfortunately. Some felt that hooliganism in a previous Euros hadn't helped. The real blow for us was losing the bid for 2018 because at best Europe is now going to get to host the competition every twelve years and there's obviously a lot of competition in the UEFA region.
  • Options
    Russia will do an excellent job even though the travelling will be a bot of a nightmare

Qatar is and will be a complete disaster from start to finish
  • Options
    If Qatar's bid did not include the minor detail that it would have to stage the competition in the middle of the Northern Hemisphere winter, then surely the vote should be redone as this should have been a primary consideration for the nations that originally voted for Qatar. Blatter might support this as it will mean another chance to line his back pocket.

If it does go ahead in Qatar in our winter, which seems likely, the season would have to run from July to November and February to June and that way Wenger et al get the winter break they've always wanted.

Would it be 2021/22 or 2022/23?
  • Options
    coca cola don't need the tv sponsorship , its the ability to put fifa and world cup on their products and merchandise and also on posters etc, the adverts are good but the rate of sales in world cup promotions on pack or product far out weigh the impulse sales

any boycott needs to be by countries not fans,