Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup in Qatar 'impossible' in summer, says Greg Dyke

Comments

• Options

You'll be one of the Times/Guardian readers then ;-)

Independent, when I can QN...

• Options

I've heard it said on occasions, that Blatter is not the type of person you would wipe your arse with.

Who is that type of person? Doesn't sound a great job to me.
  • Options
    Really can't see this being taken away from Qatar. Even in the unlikely event that Sepp's lawyer finds corruption, he will do what he normally does and laugh it off and say we can't take it off te Qatari people now. Just reading about the other 2022 bidders, I must have missed it at the time, but Japan and America bid for it again, they have both had it recently, and Japan only 12 years again... Madness.
  • Options
    An now blatter links the investigations to Racism!? This man needs to go
  • Options

Well it worked for Labour, until Gordon Brown finally got turned over by a pensioner from Rochdale.
  • Options

For this alone, he should go. All that says to me is that the claims surrounding corruption are 100% true.
  • Options
    Sometimes I get the impression that it's only us Brits that really care about the alleged bribery that took place, maybe it's just not that big a deal in other parts of the world ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Sometimes I get the impression that it's only us Brits that really care about the alleged bribery that took place, maybe it's just not that big a deal in other parts of the world ?

I would think the indignation levels would closely follow the Transparency International Global Corruption index. Which by the way, the UK never tops (i.e is free of corruption) , nor even gets into the top 5. But some of our journalism remains world beating.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I place the blame for this British "corruption is a big deal" attitude fair and square on Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells. No question.
  • Options
    Most of the world would be shocked if there wasn't any corruption.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great article in last month's When Saturday Comes about when US journalist Grant Wahl tried to stand as FIFA president.
  • Options

I don't see what the big deal is. According to Blatter logic we should all be able to shake hands and forget about it.
  • Options
    Probably try and get us banned now..
  • Options
    edited June 2014

"ALERT: FIFA called U.S. Soccer to have ready an Organizing Committee for 2022.
    There would be no World Cup in Qatar."

• Options
    That's fantastic. I retire in 2022 and was thinking of a World Cup jaunt but Qatar was just not right. USA on the other hand :0)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Creates a new issue - the country which invented the game doesn't get it for well over half a century and a country that calls it soccer gets it twice in less than 30 years. When you factor in the fact that the country that invented the game is probably one of 5 countries best equipped to hold a tournament of this sort, you really see how ridiculous it all is. If Qatar lose it, it should be offered to us!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm not saying every 4 years - but we all know that FIFA and world football resents us for inventing the game and that simple reason has prevented a country with our superior infrastucture getting it since 1966. I would put on the back of our tracksuits ~ We invented this bloody game you *****!

I don't think we were able to bid for 2022 because the previous World Cup was going to be held in Europe. But if we lose Qatar, surely give it to a country who could host it at the drop of a hat!
  • Options
    edited June 2014

- but we all know that FIFA and world football resents us for inventing the game

Do they? Where is the evidence for that?

Maybe they don't like the arrogance of some England fans telling everyone that "we invented the game" as if that should give us special privileges.

Which as it happens it still does. Permanent memberships of the The International Football Association Board (that sets the laws of the game) for example. Not just England either. Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales too.

And that we are one country with four teams and four votes must puzzle at lot of people too.

FIFA is a corrupt and badly run organisation but it makes aircraft hangers full of dosh now and that is why England doesn't get tournaments. We don't pay big enough bribes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2014
    They don't like the arrogance of English fans - I accept that - but we are only telling the truth - Of course the four associations keeps us down too - think of Best, Dalglish, Giggs, Bale............

You are right about the bribes though.
  • Options
    Would have liked to see it in Oz, and at least it's their winter.

But rather the US than Qatar!
  • Options

But if we lose Qatar, surely give it to a country who could host it at the drop of a hat!

They will be doing exactly that if they give it to the US.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Yes but I didn't mean yanks - they should be exempt until it is their national sport!
  • Options

Yes but I didn't mean yanks - they should be exempt until it is their national sport!

You've proper lost the plot.
  • Options
    I'm amazed people think the idea is ok for the USA to hold it 2 times since we originally did.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Muttley is someone hacking your account ? As Stu says you've lost the plot mate.

Your logic on here is as sound as your " Alastair Cook is a coward and should be dropped for Pietersen to return as captain."

(on the Test Match thread).

Wibble.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Wot like South Arica you mean NLA ? :-)
  • Options
    It's a dangerous idea. This campsite is currently enduring high humidity and daytime temps of 35 degrees and no breeze. We are in the 5th day and people are now struggling. Brazil is hellish enough for footballers, Qatar is plain medically irresponsible IMO
  • Options

Would have liked to see it in Oz, and at least it's their winter.

But rather the US than Qatar!

What basis does Blatter have to just give it to the US? Australia has just as strong a claim and has not had it before.

Blatter needs to be eliminated.