Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup in Qatar 'impossible' in summer, says Greg Dyke

Comments

• Options

If it had to be a country in Asia, I think China would be a much more suitable place to host the WC than Qatar. We have the experience of hosting the Olympics and the weather in summer is just fine, especially in those coastal areas. Shame that our football has been so poor in the past decade that it would just seem sort of embarrassing to even bring up the idea of hosting the WC.

I don't think the quality of the football team of the hosting nation is particularly important is it ? Qatar ?

I don't know. I hope you're right. I just think that the hosting country has automatic qualification to play in the tournament so its national team can't be too bad. I remember Qatar's football used to be good. Just checked their current FIFA ranking and surprised to find they've dropped to 100. But still they're three places higher than China...
    IA said:

If it had to be a country in Asia, I think China would be a much more suitable place to host the WC than Qatar. We have the experience of hosting the Olympics and the weather in summer is just fine, especially in those coastal areas. Shame that our football has been so poor in the past decade that it would just seem sort of embarrassing to even bring up the idea of hosting the WC.

The advantage to FIFA of awarding 2022 to USA if it's taken from Qatar is that it opens up the possibility of several Asian nations competing for 2026, including the above three, Indonesia and possibly China.
    I'd be absolutely gutted to see the World Cup hosted in Indonesia before China !!!!!!
  • Options
    I only mentioned Indonesia because they've been hinting at bidding for the World Cup a few times. It's up to China to bid too and beat them. :-)
  • Options

I'm going to support Muttley here. I'm not thinking England have a right to host the WC but for a nation that has the most professional clubs, the biggest league, one of the highest football profiles in the world I would have thought we might have had it awarded without a gap of sixty odd years.

I may have made my point more dramatically than I could have - but thanks for getting it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So Michael Garcia, the lawyer investigating all this, submitted his report earlier this month and FIFA says they won't publish the report... it is, I suppose, at least encouraging that some senior members are refusing to support that stance.
  • Options
    Having just been to Qatar, I can't see how this can happen, I walked out of the airport at 7 30am and the heat was unbearable.
  • Options
    It is absurb and a true test of what happens next
  • Options

It will be difficult to play football in such extreme heat, however
    The game will only last 1 1/2 hours
    They won't have to wear Kevlar helmets
    They won't have to wear reinforced body armour
    They won't have to carry 40lbs back packs.
    They are unlikely to be shot at, worry about mortars or IEDs
    They will be handsomely rewarded did there efforts.
    The accommodation is likely to be five star.
    The deployment is only going to be for a month. (abd probably only two weeks for England.)

With no disrespect to the armed forces at all of course Smudge.

1) The conflict cannot be moved somewhere more suitable
    2) Like footballers, no one has been forced to join the armed forces
    3) No one has (allegedly) bunged anyone in order for the conflict to take place where it is.
    4) The conflict isn't entertainment which people paying good money to watch want to see at it's best, not as a half speed parody of the real thing.

• Options
    was there this concern about playing at altitude in 1986?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

was there this concern about playing at altitude in 1986?

Was that even a big issue? ( I cannot remember or find a reference to that). But there were 11 venues, and for sure most of them would not have presented a big issue. There's no getting away from the heat in Qatar.

What I have been reminded by Wikipedia is that in fact Colombia were chosen for 1986, and FIFA took it away from them only in 1983. So there is a precedent.
  • Options
    Didnt Colombia say they couldnt host it after an earthquake only for Mexico City to also suffer one?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It will be difficult to play football in such extreme heat, however
    The game will only last 1 1/2 hours
    They won't have to wear Kevlar helmets
    They won't have to wear reinforced body armour
    They won't have to carry 40lbs back packs.
    They are unlikely to be shot at, worry about mortars or IEDs
    They will be handsomely rewarded did there efforts.
    The accommodation is likely to be five star.
    The deployment is only going to be for a month. (abd probably only two weeks for England.)

Yeah but some of them will be real heroes
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Didnt Colombia say they couldnt host it after an earthquake only for Mexico City to also suffer one?

Says "economic reasons" on Wikipedia, but maybe an earthquake triggered those problems
  • Options
    So in addition to shutting down the European domestic leagues for 8 weeks, there is now the possibility that they may have to move the African Cup of Nations and the Winter Olympics - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29517324

Farce after farce after farce.
  • Options
    http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/29918581

Players will boycott 2022 if held in the summer.
  • Options
    players 'may' boycott 2022 if held in the summer.
  • Options
    Surely the FAs of the major countries should boycott it, the tournament would then be worthless and show FIFAs decision to award it to Qatar to be ridiculous.

FIFA could then ban those countries but could then run the risk of a breakaway to form a new world governing body that has more transparency and honesty than FIFA.
  • Options
    It wont be held in the summer.
  • Options
    the subject of the title is a statement of the bleedin' obvious
  • Options
    The WC is a summer tournament - always has been & always should be. The idea is that it fits in when the major football nations seasons have ended & before they start again........and that was the concept for the bidding process. Anything different should make the bidding process null & void. END OF.
  • Options
    Exactly, they might as well do it in 2023, or just whenever they fancy it, i'm sure that's what it said could happen in the tender....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The WC is a summer tournament - always has been & always should be. The idea is that it fits in when the major football nations seasons have ended & before they start again........and that was the concept for the bidding process. Anything different should make the bidding process null & void. END OF.

I think the Brazilian league might have something to say about that.
  • Options

What was it when South Africa hosted the competition? ;)
  • Options
    Every time I see this topic reappear at the top of the forum, my football soul sinks a little.

Maybe we need Russell Brand to start a new footballing governing revolution!!
  • Options
    Everyone knows it was crooked, they just need to give up the charade and admit it's a ridiculous idea.
  • Options
    If Atlantis had bribed enough officials, we'd be having an underwater World Cup.

Great idea, we can drown the FIFA top men in one go. I think we should tell FIFA and Qatar to get stuffed, then organise a competitive Cup in the Summer as usual. Qatar's World Cup would be nothing without the European and South American countries, USA would be a good venue.
  • Options

Everyone knows it was crooked, they just need to give up the charade and admit it's a ridiculous idea.

I wonder if anyone at FIFA genuinely thinks they're getting away with this farce and that nobody knows they're as bent as a nine bob note?

• Options
    Hasn't Platini inferred that a new vote carve up stitch up is due if the findings white wash of the enquiry snow job show any irregularities leads to the money?
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

I wonder if anyone at FIFA genuinely thinks they're getting away with this farce and that nobody knows they're as bent as a nine bob note?

I think that like bankers, MPs, the landed gentry, big shot criminals etc, they just don't care. As long as they have the money in the bank, and hang around with like minded people it does not matter what us plebs think.

They - as I am reminded so often on threads about Scott Parker or Diego Poyet - are "just looking after their family's future" and "anyone would do the same"... :P
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    when i worked there i had to stay in their "Olympic hotel" already part of their bid for the Olympics---floor 32 no phones worked ,the fire alarm went off but no worries you could wander down via the lifts (which still worked) and ask the reception what was going on (if they knew !!!) ExxonMobil moved me as soon as i informed them of the hotels issues.

Our building was next to a Quatarie building which we had to let them know was on fire (i kid you not) they sounded the evacuation---which no one took any notice of for 30 mins---that building was the Ministry of Education !

I turned up for one stint of 8 weeks on and was asked where my cold weather clothes were ? i had none. It was fecking freezing at night and one of the Indian security guys got me a heavy duty jacket

Then there are the sand storms ---like something out of the film Mummy---the dust takes days to settle and its not easy to breath.

So all in all Qatar is a great place to hold the World Cup unless your a player or spectator