Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup in Qatar 'impossible' in summer, says Greg Dyke

Comments

• Options
    Bet it wasn't a mistake when the money was coming in...
  • Options
    So many instances of corruption surrounding Blatter, Warner etc.
    I think that, as we created the game we should take our ball away and announce a FIFAesque breakaway
  • Options
    I've said it before & I'll say it again. Uefa need to grow some & say that none of the European teams are going to play the World Cup in the winter, which in itself will mess up a whole continents football watching for at least 2 seasons. I 'l like to see FIFA try to organize a World Cup without Germany, Italy, England, Spain, France etc.

Someone needs to make a stand and to show FIFA that the World Cup is a summer tournament & countries made their bids based on that fact.....and not one that will take place in winter & in the middle of most football playing nations season.
  • Options

I've said it before & I'll say it again. Uefa need to grow some & say that none of the European teams are going to play the World Cup in the winter, which in itself will mess up a whole continents football watching for at least 2 seasons. I 'l like to see FIFA try to organize a World Cup without Germany, Italy, England, Spain, France etc.

Someone needs to make a stand and to show FIFA that the World Cup is a summer tournament & countries made their bids based on that fact.....and not one that will take place in winter & in the middle of most football playing nations season.

I dont think its the individual organisations that need to grow some balls more the individual countries FAs themselves... Platini is just a big a prat as Blatter and believe that countries need to start threatening to breakaway and form their own organisations for these idiots to listen
  • Options
    I have said it before, it just needs England, Italy, Spain and Germany to break away and the whole house of cards will come tumbling down.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    That would be nice, but I really can't see it. No doubt the Qatar FA will argue that Bin Hammam wasn't acting with their authority. Then there's the problem of the vast sums of money the Qataris have already spent in preparation. Would FIFA compensate? Just not viable really.

Most likely outcome is a November/December tournament and a train wreck for the season in Europe.

With luck, however, the Times expose (I can recommend getting hold of a copy of the paper) will bring the whole stinking edifice down. Surely, the loathsome Blatter can't survive this.
  • Options
    I don't think Platini is corrupt - maybe a little eccentric in his ideas. But I do think Blatter is. FIFA has to stop being a club and be run for the good of football. The problem is that the world is a corrupt place and FIFA merely reflects this. A solution may be to entrust it in the hands of strong countries like Italy, England, France & Germany, but the Premiership has shown that this will most likely evolve into a self interest society. The fact that FIFA is a dictatorship, could be a good thing IMO - it is just you need the right dictator - Blatter isn't it - nor I fear is Platini.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    By its very nature FIFA is vulnerable to endemic corruption. To get elected you need votes and you get those votes by promising something to those who are able to vote. It might be more World Cup places for the African continent, for example. Havelange was the first to exploit this when he won the election battle against Stanley Rous.

It's hard to deal with this, but much greater transparency has to be part of the answer. We don't even get to know which way members voted, let alone why. It's not rocket science to set out a list of criteria against which each bid to host the World Cup is then judged and then require each member to score. Nefarious activity might still take place, but it would be harder to get away with it. We certainly wouldn't be having a World Cup in Qatar.

Blatter doesn't want this though because he would lose power. It's this self governance which needs to get fixed somehow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The simple solution to this is the same as it always has been. England, Argentina, Italy, Germany, Brazil, France, Spain and Holland just leave FIFA and set up their own association. Let's see how much TV and sponsorship money FIFA can come up with for a world cup final between Japan and Poland

As soon as his snout is out of the trough, Blather will disappear
  • Options
    Matthew Syed wrote a very good piece in the Times back in January which mentioned Platini and Sarkozy. Eufa backed the bid in exchange for billions of euros to be spent by the govt and psg...allegedly!
  • Options

By its very nature FIFA is vulnerable to endemic corruption. To get elected you need votes and you get those votes by promising something to those who are able to vote. It might be more World Cup places for the African continent, for example. Havelange was the first to exploit this when he won the election battle against Stanley Rous.

It's hard to deal with this, but much greater transparency has to be part of the answer. We don't even get to know which way members voted, let alone why. It's not rocket science to set out a list of criteria against which each bid to host the World Cup is then judged and then require each member to score. Nefarious activity might still take place, but it would be harder to get away with it. We certainly wouldn't be having a World Cup in Qatar.

Blatter doesn't want this though because he would lose power. It's this self governance which needs to get fixed somehow.

A nice start would be FIFA telling countries in continents that they have no intention of awarding the tournament to that that is the case before they spend millions on mounting a bid. Rather than letting them go ahead, and having all expenses paid trips to those countries for fun...
  • Options

A nice start would be FIFA telling countries in continents that they have no intention of awarding the tournament to that that is the case before they spend millions on mounting a bid. Rather than letting them go ahead, and having all expenses paid trips to those countries for fun...
    Agree but the bidding process is all part of the FIFA trough snufflers raison d'être. Can you really see them knocking back the opportunity to make several all expenses paid five star VIP trip to the bidding countries where they are wined and dined and given goody bags and fauned upon by the local association. No. Nor can I.
  • Options
    Uefa and FIFA are both corrupt. Platini hates the English so we would never get a WC with him in charge.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    We know we are disliked because we probably have the strongest case of any country to hold the tournament. If I was in charge, I'd introduce a continental cup to decide which continet gets the world cup. I'd insist that at least 8 nations were represented on the pitch by a team at any one time and would seed South America/America and Europe. Then the federation of the winning continent would get the World Cup.
  • Options

We know we are disliked because we probably have the strongest case of any country to hold the tournament. If I was in charge, I'd introduce a continental cup to decide which continet gets the world cup. I'd insist that at least 8 nations were represented on the pitch by a team at any one time and would seed South America/America and Europe. Then the federation of the winning continent would get the World Cup.

A sort of world cup to award the World Cup. Quirky. I like it.

• Options
    Just use the Eurovision rules, winner hosts the next World Cup................... ;-)
  • Options

Just use the Eurovision rules, winner hosts the next World Cup................... ;-)

So England still will never get it.

• Options
    edited June 2014

A sort of world cup to award the World Cup. Quirky. I like it.

There would be some great teams playing in it too. It would probably mean the world cup doesn't go outside of Europe or America but the other continents have a chance if their football warrants it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So England still will never get it.

So?

I thought according to certain posters, that we all support Belgium now?

• Options
    Qatar 2022 (Nov 2010): Bin Hammam "definitely our biggest asset in the bid.”
    Qatar 2022 (now): BH "played no official or unofficial role"

Oh dear.

Throw the book at them. Bin Hammam should be banned from involvement in world football for life and Qatar banned from World Cup football for the next 20 years.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Posting without reading (to quote @LenGlover‌ ) was always a non starter crap decision to host there by a crap controlling body totally out of touch with your 'in the flesh' football supporting public.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited June 2014
    In any organisation or country, no person should be allowed to be president for more than 2 terms. Sepp Blatter and Fifa is a perfect example of why 2 times needs to be the maxium.
  • Options
    The federations are killing international football with their collective and individual greed. The next European Championship is a shambles. The qualifying competition has been diluted so much, that it isn't worth watching. Before long we will have more teams qualifying for the finals than those eliminated.

The information supplied to the Sunday Times from official FIFA sources, could start the collapse of FIFA. I very much doubt the yanks letting this go.

Local protests or riots during the Brazil world cup will increase the pressure. Apparently, the venue for the first match is still unfinished, has temporary seating and has yet to acquire a safety certificate, let alone hold a test event. The roof at one end will be incomplete, but never mind, they have the plastic ponchos ready if it rains.

If we did get to Qatar in 2022, I very much doubt that the clubs would allow their valuable assets to be exposed to such harsh conditions. It would quickly become a meaningless competition with none of the top players taking part.
  • Options
    vff said:

In any organisation or country, no person should be allowed to be president for more than 2 terms. Sepp Blatter and Fifa is a perfect example of why 2 times needs to be the maxium.

2 times too many!
  • Options
    The trouble is that FIFA is corrupt down to the bone, any internal investigation will be quashed or a few expendables thrown out.
  • Options
    Septic Bladder has spent his whole career admitting to mistakes and claiming he learns from them.

For me he is a modern day Al Capone, considering himself above any law or regulation.

Some Septic gems

. Tight shorts for women to make the game more exciting
    . Declaring homosexuals should observe a period of chastity during 2022. Excellent way to getting to the root of the problem.
    . Idea to abolish draws. ..Sepp why dont u go and work in American Sports?

"Every game should have a winner. When you play cards or any other game, there's always a winner and a loser. We should have the courage to introduce a final decision in every game of football." Blatter on abolishing draws  in 2004.

My Favorite is this

"I would say it is a little surprising that the motherland of football has ignored a sacrosanct law or belief that the national team manager should be from the same country as the players. I have never seen Italy, Germany, Brazil or Argentina with a coach from another country." Blatter in 2008 on the appointment of Italy's Fabio Capello as England Manager

Out of the last 9 Swiss managers, 1 was Swiss

The most successful Swiss Manager ever is Woy Hodgson

Its just rank hypocrisy, showing his true base morales. Geezer is a toad, a really fat fooking road with boils on its eyes.

@PragueAddick‌ suggested only the UN could take him down and I tend to agree. There is one other avenue....Seeptic allegedly doesnt pay his income tax in Canton Wallis. Thw timid Swiss Courts wont go near the case. Another Capone analogy. But if we are providi g Scudamore/Dyke as the Elliot Ness character, seeptic will carry on as an untouchable

A good book on the whole debacle is Foul by Andrew Jennings.....poorly written but some good content.

Finally, the Fifa HQ in zurich sits 500M opposite the Zurich Zoo. I suspect that there may have been an incident in the 70s with animals swapped for fifa dignatories....sepp's mum was a walrus and his dad was a cane toad.

Any change has to originate from football fans of passion. For revolution, look first to the proliteriat.
  • Options
    Nothing will come of this. I fully expect the World Cup to go ahead in Qatar regardless.
  • Options
    This shows the value of top quality journalism.

Journalists then rely on the rest of us to kick up a fuss about what has been revealed.