Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup in Qatar 'impossible' in summer, says Greg Dyke

Comments

• Options

Would have liked to see it in Oz, and at least it's their winter.

But rather the US than Qatar!

What basis does Blatter have to just give it to the US?

To appease a lot of pissed off US based sponsors
  • Options
    He can't give it to Australia as he has just come out against racism, where as racism no longer exists in the US because of Obama, don't you people read the news......................... ;-)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Nobody hacking my account - both sound opinions - I would say finishing the career of England's best player because he had a row with you is cowardly and being ultra defensive in your tactics is too. You may disagree - but it is about opinions.

As for USA not having more rights to hold a world cup than England - I don't even think I should have to justify that opinion!
  • Options
    I was in Doha a couple of days ago. Went outside at 2pm for two minutes. You can barely breathe because of the heat.

If they keep the tournament the games will have to be played at 2am, because you can't play football during the day
  • Options

I was in Doha a couple of days ago. Went outside at 2pm for two minutes. You can barely breathe because of the heat.

If they keep the tournament the games will have to be played at 2am, because you can't play football during the day

The plan has always been to play the games in fully air-conditioned stadia, so the time of the KO will not really matter for the players & officials. The big issue will be how the spectators will cope with travelling to the games during 50 degrees of heat.
  • Options
    How does Septic know that all those executive committee members who voted for Qatar wouldn't have voted for Australia rather than the US if their first choice had been excluded?

If there's going to be a re vote that means, err, having a re vote, not handing the tournament to the US simply because they appear to have come second.

Not only is Splatter a crook, he's a complete freaking moron who stumbles from one mess to the next without engaging what little brain he has.

As an aside, I would agree with those who've said that it's a nonsense for a nation where football is a minor sport to host the competition twice within forty years.

PS As for Platini, it's hard to believe he still has any credibility left. He voted for Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup. The vote was for a summer World Cup. This decision was against the advice of FIFA's own technical committee and is now generally acknowledged to have been absurd.

So why did Platini vote for Qatar? There are only two possibilities. Either his vote was in return for an inducement of some kind or he was guilty of a catastrophic error of judgement. If its the former he should be banned from football for life. If the latter, you wouldn't trust him to run the proverbial evening out in a brewery. It beggars belief that this intellectual giant, this model of integrity and common sense, is next in line to run FIFA.
  • Options

Evenings are nice though, drops down to early/mid 30's but without the sun beating down.
    We hosted and played the Asian 5 Nations rugby a couple of weeks ago and it was played in the evenings no problem. No issues with spectators either at that time of day. The issue is during daylight hours with people drinking gallons of booze.
  • Options
    Its a nonsense and inhumane to play it in some countries in June

The entire middle east should never have been considered

• Options

When you factor in the fact that the country that invented the game is probably one of 5 countries best equipped to hold a tournament of this sort, you really see how ridiculous it all is. If Qatar lose it, it should be offered to us!

The US are probably the best country equiped to hold a tournament of this sort though in fairness.
  • Options

When you factor in the fact that the country that invented the game is probably one of 5 countries best equipped to hold a tournament of this sort, you really see how ridiculous it all is. If Qatar lose it, it should be offered to us!

The US are probably the best country equiped to hold a tournament of this sort though in fairness.
    On top of that, a World Cup in America now they have a decent league, that is becoming more and more popular year on year could be what finally makes Americans see sense over what is the best sport in the world truly is.

So i can see them getting given it under the umbrella of growing the world game.

So plenty of reasons why them getting again so soon makes sense, as it would be a very different World Cup from 94.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same thing as was said when they last had it! It ultimately fails to take off there because they are not a football nation. Yes they play it, but they don't support it! And did I say - we invented it. We are due a bit more recognition and respect than FIFA have given us.
  • Options

Nobody hacking my account - both sound opinions - I would say finishing the career of England's best player because he had a row with you is cowardly and being ultra defensive in your tactics is too. You may disagree - but it is about opinions.

As for USA not having more rights to hold a world cup than England - I don't even think I should have to justify that opinion!

You can't justify it though, can you.

It's called the world cup, if you can enter it, you should be able to apply to host it.

Stick to giving advise to international football managers, this topic seems a little beyond you buddy.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

You can't justify it though, can you.

It's called the world cup, if you can enter it, you should be able to apply to host it.

Stick to giving advise to international football managers, this topic seems a little beyond you buddy.
    Muttley, I agree it's about opinions and if anyone could have entered to hold the 2022 WC, then I'd agree that England would have a better case than the US.

However, unless I'm mistaken, Europe get their chance to bid for a WC and next up it's the Rest of The World.

So for 2022 Europe couldn't bid and on that basis, yes USA must have more rights than England, as England and the rest of Europe could not bid. It really is that simple. Isn't it ?

• Options
    edited June 2014

Same thing as was said when they last had it! It ultimately fails to take off there because they are not a football nation. Yes they play it, but they don't support it! And did I say - we invented it. We are due a bit more recognition and respect than FIFA have given us.

All but one maybe two of the MLS teams got a higher average attendance then Charlton last season, the MLS also got a higher average attendance then the Championship, now i know they have less teams at the moment and im talking about our second tier but they are not doing badly considering they apparently "don't support it".

It is also the second most popular sport in the US for teens and early 20s.

I want a World Cup in this country too but the claim because we invented it, we should get more respect is jusy silly.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Muttley, you're sounding like a Wednesday fan.

No European country can host in 2022 (or 2026 for that matter) following Russia's successful bid for 2018 due to the rotation policy FIFA have in place. The USA are the most logical choice should it be stripped from Qatar: second in original bidding, infrastructure to host at the drop of a hat, meets FIFA criteria to widen the sport's fanbase.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it to come here and I think we'd put on a fantastic event but it has to wait until 2030 at least...
  • Options
    Muttley I have to admire your spirit, what a wonderfully contrived but ultimately ridiculous argument your "National Sport" one is. The phrase "National Sport" is so woolly that it will mean different things in different places. Very few counties have an officially sanctioned national sport. For those that do, it is almost never football. The reason being is that where sports are declared as "national" it has nothing to do with what the locals play or watch and everything to do with whatever the local brand of nationalists think differentiates them as a country. National sports are often sports that have little appeal overseas, because it's not about describing what the local people like and are involved in; it's about presenting a vision of what makes that country unique. It's got far more to do with social identity, falsified political cohesion and tourism than it has about sport.

For what it's worth I've looked up the national sports of those countries that have had The World Cup, to see if they were really deserving by your criteria:

2014 & 1950: Brazil - Capoeira
    2010: South Africa - Soccer, Cricket or Rugby probably depending on your skin colour, place of birth and social class
    2006 & 1974: (West) Germany - Fußball
    2002: South Korea - Tae Kwon Do or StarCraft if you believe some recent reports; Japan - Sumo
    1998: &1938 France - Football
    1994: USA - Baseball
    1990 &1934: Italy - Molto noioso calcio stile catenaccio
    1986 & 1970: Mexico - Charreada
    1982: Spain - Bullfighting
    1978: Argentina - Pato
    1966: England - Cricket
    1962: Chile - Chilean Rodeo
    1958: Sweden - Football as participation sport, Ice Hockey as spectator sport
    1954: Switzerland - Hornüssen
    1930: Uruguay - Destrezas Criollas aka Gaucho Skills

So, it seems that if "National Sport" were the criteria, very few of what we would consider to be footballing countries would ever get a sniff of hosting la Coupe du Monde. Instead it would steadily orbit its way around continental Europe, only occasionally heading off to some poor South African townships.
  • Options
    I'm going to support Muttley here. I'm not thinking England have a right to host the WC but for a nation that has the most professional clubs, the biggest league, one of the highest football profiles in the world I would have thought we might have had it awarded without a gap of sixty odd years.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Well ultimately because of the continent rotation policy we are competing with other countries that have similar profiles such as Germany, France and Spain/Portugal who all can also host major tournaments. If we were in Asia we would likely have got it by now. I guess we've had the European Championship more recently than most as well.
  • Options
    On what basis does anyone claim that Russia is part of Europe?
  • Options

On what basis does anyone claim that Russia is part of Europe?

Western Russia (which is by far the most populated Russian region) is on the European continent.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

How does Septic know that all those executive committee members who voted for Qatar wouldn't have voted for Australia rather than the US if their first choice had been excluded?

If there's going to be a re vote that means, err, having a re vote, not handing the tournament to the US simply because they appear to have come second.

Fair point, but a revote would involve wining and dining the officials, sending them on all expenses paid holidays to each of the bidders and presenting them with more gifts. I'd prefer for it to go to the 2nd place from the original vote.

I'm aware this would mean that if Russia lose out at the same time as Qatar, 2018 would go to Spain & Portugal.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Muttley I have to admire your spirit, what a wonderfully contrived but ultimately ridiculous argument your "National Sport" one is. The phrase "National Sport" is so woolly that it will mean different things in different places. Very few counties have an officially sanctioned national sport. For those that do, it is almost never football. The reason being is that where sports are declared as "national" it has nothing to do with what the locals play or watch and everything to do with whatever the local brand of nationalists think differentiates them as a country. National sports are often sports that have little appeal overseas, because it's not about describing what the local people like and are involved in; it's about presenting a vision of what makes that country unique. It's got far more to do with social identity, falsified political cohesion and tourism than it has about sport.

For what it's worth I've looked up the national sports of those countries that have had The World Cup, to see if they were really deserving by your criteria:

2014 & 1950: Brazil - Capoeira
    2010: South Africa - Soccer, Cricket or Rugby probably depending on your skin colour, place of birth and social class
    2006 & 1974: (West) Germany - Fußball
    2002: South Korea - Tae Kwon Do or StarCraft if you believe some recent reports; Japan - Sumo
    1998: &1938 France - Football
    1994: USA - Baseball
    1990 &1934: Italy - Molto noioso calcio stile catenaccio
    1986 & 1970: Mexico - Charreada
    1982: Spain - Bullfighting
    1978: Argentina - Pato
    1966: England - Cricket
    1962: Chile - Chilean Rodeo
    1958: Sweden - Football as participation sport, Ice Hockey as spectator sport
    1954: Switzerland - Hornüssen
    1930: Uruguay - Destrezas Criollas aka Gaucho Skills

So, it seems that if "National Sport" were the criteria, very few of what we would consider to be footballing countries would ever get a sniff of hosting la Coupe du Monde. Instead it would steadily orbit its way around continental Europe, only occasionally heading off to some poor South African townships.

Football is Qatars national sport. ;-)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I know that it's 13 minutes long, but this is well worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DlJEt2KU33I
  • Options
    Nug said:

Was catching up on the review of the whole 1978 World Cup. Lovely to see Mothercare as one of the main pitch side sponsors. And Metaxa brandy.

• Options

Nug said:

Was catching up on the review of the whole 1978 World Cup. Lovely to see Mothercare as one of the main pitch side sponsors. And Metaxa brandy.

Ironic - Mothercare being a sponsor of a world cup in a country where the Mothers of Plaza de Mayo are still asking about their disappeared children.
  • Options
    If it had to be a country in Asia, I think China would be a much more suitable place to host the WC than Qatar. We have the experience of hosting the Olympics and the weather in summer is just fine, especially in those coastal areas. Shame that our football has been so poor in the past decade that it would just seem sort of embarrassing to even bring up the idea of hosting the WC.
  • Options

If it had to be a country in Asia, I think China would be a much more suitable place to host the WC than Qatar. We have the experience of hosting the Olympics and the weather in summer is just fine, especially in those coastal areas. Shame that our football has been so poor in the past decade that it would just seem sort of embarrassing to even bring up the idea of hosting the WC.

I don't think the quality of the football team of the hosting nation is particularly important is it ? Qatar ?

• Options
    I can definitely see a Chinese World Cup in the next 20-30 years.
  • Options

I can definitely see a Chinese World Cup in the next 20-30 years.

Certainly before England host it again.

• Options

I don't see how it would have to be a country in Asia, but if it does, then it should be one of the three nations in Asia that originally wanted to host it - Japan, South Korea or Australia (who are in Asia for FIFA).

The advantage to FIFA of awarding 2022 to USA if it's taken from Qatar is that it opens up the possibility of several Asian nations competing for 2026, including the above three, Indonesia and possibly China.