Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Scotland tonight

Comments

• Options
    Yeah its a classic "its their cup final" type of game. Our pampered prem players will mince about the pitch for 90 mins on pain of getting dropped by their club manager for risking getting injured, while getting drowned out by the noise from 20K jocks, and then they nick a late win. We wont play them again for another 10 years so the bragging rights would last a long while....

I would genuinely be surprised by an England win....
  • Options
    Welling tonight anyone?
  • Options
    Waiting to hear if my jock mate has got me a ticket or not. It pains me to say it but the atmosphere at the new Wembley is absolutely dreadful for England games. Always seems like 50% of people are there because work has offered them free tickets or because they got them for free for someone else not wanting to go or something,
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Waiting to hear if my jock mate has got me a ticket or not. It pains me to say it but the atmosphere at the new Wembley is absolutely dreadful for England games. Always seems like 50% of people are there because work has offered them free tickets or because they got them for free for someone else not wanting to go or something,

Definitely true. Been to a fair few Wembley games and the atmosphere has been absolutely crap, apart from in the away stand.
  • Options
    I went to the Holland game there and the atmosphere was exactly like Tom says. I still think the crowd are too far away from the pitch.
  • Options
    Especially in the top tier, you are sitting a country mile from the pitch. When I saw England v Mexico there just before the last World Cup, I genuinely struggled to make out who our players were. No singing or excitement at all among the fans. I was truly amazed when they said that the attendance was 90,000!
  • Options
    They sold our soul for a pot full of cash

So the premier elite could build a stash

And foreigners now rule the day

While we slink out down Wembley way.
  • Options
    hashtag modern football...
  • Options
    Got my tickets for this one.
    If there is ever going to be a good atmosphere for an England game at Wembley, then it will be tonight.

Problem is that 99% of people sit at these games, whereas in recent domestic fixtures there has been Man Utd, Palace, Dortmund/Bayern fans standing in the tens of thousands behind the goal and occasionally across the whole lower tier.
    England matches at Wembley seem to attract a more 'reserved' group of fans and a lot of familys, which is good in many ways, but its not exactly going to sound like a Besiktas match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also its not cheap going to Wembley for the 'common man'.
    My tickets are behind the goal tonight in the lower tier, which is usually considered to be the cheapest area in most grounds.
    The FA thought it was ok to charge £45 though for this 90 minute friendly, i suppose i'm the mug for paying to go.
  • Options
    sad i dont really have any intrest in this England team. Its even a struggle to get motivated to beat the men in skirts !
  • Options

Also its not cheap going to Wembley for the 'common man'.
    My tickets are behind the goal tonight in the lower tier, which is usually considered to be the cheapest area in most grounds.
    The FA thought it was ok to charge £45 though for this 90 minute friendly, i suppose i'm the mug for paying to go.

Think tickets are still on sale.
    http://ticketing.thefa.com/
  • Options
    The only england game you would see with atmosphere would of been if we got the world cup in 2018. Wembley would of been rocking.
  • Options
    Huge mistake IMO having a 'friendly' against Scotland. Hodgson will understandably treat it like any other friendly, make loads of changes, worry more about technical issues than final score. The Jocks on the other hand, roared on by 20,000 nutters with chips on their shoulders will get stuck in early doors and play like it's their most important game for years. Expect injuries.

My lifelong Scottish mates back home are all getting together to watch it. Who on earth bothers to do that for a friendly? One of them is in France, he thinks he's going to go to a French sports bar and commune with all the frogs in the 'auld alliance". How many French sports bars will show a friendly not involving France? That is the extent of their delusion.

I'm meeting my Spanner supporting client and we are going to studiously ignore the whole thing.
  • Options

Huge mistake IMO having a 'friendly' against Scotland. Hodgson will understandably treat it like any other friendly, make loads of changes, worry more about technical issues than final score. The Jocks on the other hand, roared on by 20,000 nutters with chips on their shoulders will get stuck in early doors and play like it's their most important game for years. Expect injuries.

My lifelong Scottish mates back home are all getting together to watch it. Who on earth bothers to do that for a friendly? One of them is in France, he thinks he's going to go to a French sports bar and commune with all the frogs in the 'auld alliance". How many French sports bars will show a friendly not involving France? That is the extent of their delusion.

I'm meeting my Spanner supporting client and we are going to studiously ignore the whole thing.

You seem to be going out of your way to not be bothered by the game which kind defeats the object

• Options
    There are probably enough young(ish) Scotsmen and women living in London to fill Wembley twice over. I am relishing the return of the world's oldest international .. England should walk this ... BUT a draw would not surprise me in the least.
  • Options
    ShefNot sure about your memory Dave.

England team in 1967:

Banks

Cohen Wilson J Charlton Moore

Stiles Ball Peters B Charlton

Greaves Hurst

So Greaves in for Hunt from the world cup winning team. And Greaves is England's greatest striker ever.

The late great Jim Baxter doing keepy uppy, let's be honest Scotland or England fan, Scotland won convincingly that day.

field Red Said:

Stand corrected Sheffield for some reason I thought Moore and B Charlton were not playing must be getting old. My comment still stands though they win a friendly and claim to be World Champions and frankly if I hear about the f******g keepy uppy one more time I will scream!
  • Options
    I suspect there might be a few club managers hoping the game isn't as competitive and feisty as it probably will be in terms of the tackling!
  • Options

Can't say I'm looking forward to it, particularly after the U21s debacle. My local when I'm back home received a police warning about its racist chalkboard advertising the fixture. Scotland v Them. Some people will take offense wherever they can find it.

se9addick said:

Apparently there was some trouble with Russians who showed up and started throwing bottles.

We'll set aboot them
    Are you seriously trying to tell us that there are NOT a large number of Scots with prejudice against England?

I do agree that it's a soppy over-reaction though.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to it as always, no more or less than any other England game. If I wasn't I wouldn't take the time and trouble to go on an Internet forum to tell people about it...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, the Scots are weak, hey? Fancy needing a football match against the auld enemy as an excuse to get drunk and probably enjoy yourself too. Us Poms do it in lots of locations all over Europe every Summer, hey?
  • Options

You seem to be going out of your way to not be bothered by the game which kind defeats the object

On the contrary. We both have Scottish mates. By ignoring their hysteria about the game , we wind them up even more. That is the object.

(If it was a WC qualifier, we'd have a completely different attitude to it. International friendlies have become a parody of competitive football)
  • Options
    Breaking news: Midfielder Michael Carrick has pulled out of the England squad for Wednesday's friendly against Scotland with an eye infection.

No doubt it will heal in time for Man Utd match against Swansea on Saturday.
  • Options
    Going to the game but can't say I'm as bothered about it as I should be.

Hopefully the Scots in the ground will make the atmosphere half decent for once.
  • Options
    Attend this game? ha, I won't even watch it on TV.........................
  • Options

Can't say I'm looking forward to it, particularly after the U21s debacle. My local when I'm back home received a police warning about its racist chalkboard advertising the fixture. Scotland v Them. Some people will take offense wherever they can find it.

se9addick said:

Apparently there was some trouble with Russians who showed up and started throwing bottles.

We'll set aboot them
    Are you seriously trying to tell us that there are NOT a large number of Scots with prejudice against England?

I do agree that it's a soppy over-reaction though.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to it as always, no more or less than any other England game. If I wasn't I wouldn't take the time and trouble to go on an Internet forum to tell people about it...
    Oh god no. There'll be a lot of idiots frothing at the mouth. A chalkboard that says Scotland v Them 7:45 Wednesday seems a very low level of bants to start getting knickers twisted over...
  • Options

On the contrary. We both have Scottish mates. By ignoring their hysteria about the game , we wind them up even more. That is the object.

(If it was a WC qualifier, we'd have a completely different attitude to it. International friendlies have become a parody of competitive football)
    Agree. I'd increase the number of countries in each qualifying group and have less groups, the international calendar fills up with competitive games only, more interest in the fixtures. I'd permit 2 friendlies before a tournament.

The February international date has been scrapped from 2014 onwards, so there's already one international date a year that's been removed to accommodate club football.
  • Options
    C'mon England! Friendly or not, if we did lose they'd never let us live it down!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

C'mon England! Friendly or not, if we did lose they'd never let us live it down!

One of them being interviewed on tele this morning bought up Bannockburn, and they moan about the English commentators talking about 1966! LOL.

Please stop all the bollocks about friendlies being "pointless". How the hell else are you going to find out how well players react to international football, and how well they play with each other? Would you like to find out that players A B and C just can't cut it half way through the game in Ukraine when we are three nil down, or after a non competetive match against the Scots or the Dutch or whoever?
  • Options
    Getting nice and lively in Trafalgar Square right now. A few Scots in the fountains, aided and abetted by several thousand more. The tourists look a bit bemused.