Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Takeover in the offing (almost official confirmation)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013

Still a very strange thing for both Ince and Powell to have said.

Not in the slightest.

Powell hasn't the funds to sign Fuller

Fullers agent touts him round clubs

Ince is keen, phones up Powell for the usual sp (is he fit, how does he train, what sort of character, why you not resigning him etc)

Powell said he wanted to, but there's no funds, waiting for a takeover etc)

So Powell tells a rival boss, we wanted him, I liked him and he done well for us, but hey you can have him. By the way we're f**ked.
  • Options
    Could it not be that Powell and Ince are mates?
  • Options

Not in the slightest.

Ince is keen, phones up Powell for the usual sp (is he fit, how does he train, what sort of character, why you not resigning him etc)

So Powell tells a rival boss, we wanted him, I liked him and he done well for us, but hey you can have him. By the way we're f**ked.
    I'm finding it really strange that so many think this conversation (or one similar) wouldn't happen between 2 managers?

For all we know Ince and Powell could speak every week on the phone.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Not in the slightest.

I'm finding it really strange that so many think this conversation (or one similar) wouldn't happen between 2 managers?

Don't be ridiculous. Do you really think Paul Ince has any mates?
  • Options

DanDavis said:

Not in the slightest.

Don't be ridiculous. Do you really think Paul Ince has any mates?
    I've heard he has loads around West Ham.
  • Options
    Powell and Ince were both on that training course in Turkey a couple of months ago so it's not beyond the realms of possibility to say they get on amicably.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Not in the slightest.

This.

I appreciate many are trying to throw cold water over this so not to get our hopes up, but managers phone each other up for advice/support very regularly. Considering Powell and Ince went on a coaching course this summer, and due to the fact CP is a class bloke I think Ince must've phoned him up in the last week saying "I know this bloke is training with you, i might want to sign him but I don't want to poach a player of yours, what's going on". Just as common courtesy.

Football is a very insular industry, everyone knows everyone. Whether there is a takeover happening is up for debate, Powell may know just as much as we do.
  • Options

Not in the slightest.

People in football simply don't look upon other clubs as rivals the same way supporters do. There are far fewer secrets in football than you would think.
  • Options
    Apparently Charlton F.C. have issued a press release stating that they are sure something will turn up!
  • Options

Not in the slightest.

People in football simply don't look upon other clubs as rivals the same way supporters do. There are far fewer secrets in football than you would think.
    totally this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

"Speaking to Chris Powell, they wanted to sign him but they are waiting for a takeover to take place so he was disappointed to lose him, but it's a chance for him to come in a show what he can do."

This implies to me that something is in motion (re a takeover) otherwise would SCP not have used the words "hoping for a takeover to take place"?

Just a thought.
  • Options

Apparently Charlton F.C. have issued a press release stating that they are sure something will turn up!

Indeed, on the back of the previous release about finding a croc of gold at the end of the rainbow one day.
  • Options
    I'm not in the know at all, but there's not smoke without fire in my opinion. And there seems to be a lot of smoke recently.
  • Options

"Speaking to Chris Powell, they wanted to sign him but they are waiting for a takeover to take place so he was disappointed to lose him, but it's a chance for him to come in a show what he can do."

This implies to me that something is in motion (re a takeover) otherwise would SCP not have used the words "hoping for a takeover to take place"?

Just a thought.

I think that's what the entire thread is about mate !
  • Options
    straws - clutching??
  • Options

straws - clutching??

Sadly yes.

• Options
    se9addick said:

Just a thought.

Hoping and waiting.That's all we ever seem to do on here.

• Options

I'm not in the know at all, but there's not smoke without fire in my opinion. And there seems to be a lot of smoke recently.

Rome burnt while Nero played the fiddle. (Or something)
  • Options
    Sorry to wheel it out again but.......

• Options
    edited August 2013

se9addick said:

Just a thought.

Hoping and waiting.That's all we ever seem to do on here.

Ain't there a song that goes a bit like that? Sitting In The Park maybe?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It could also be Ince's way of justifying to his own fans why he's signing one of our cast offs !
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It seems to suggest something is in the offing. It isn't a phrase that Ince would use if it wasn't. Powell and Ince did their FIFA PRO badge together in Turkey so likely they would have had a franker chat about it than might normaly be the case and Ince has inadvertantly let a cat out of the bag. Whether it comes to anything of course is an entirely different matter!
  • Options
    Has Slater crawled out from beneath his rock to quash this nonsense yet?
  • Options
    To me, this must be about the previous takeover that we are already aware collapsed. The same one that was going on when Powell and Ince were on that course together.
  • Options

Has Slater crawled out from beneath his rock to quash this nonsense yet?

Now that comment has struck a chord. Here in Scotland, we commonly refer to woodlice as slaters.

So from now on, I think I will refer to our very own Slater as Cheesiebug. Seems rather appropriate...
  • Options
    tricky said:

To me, this must be about the previous takeover that we are already aware collapsed. The same one that was going on when Powell and Ince were on that course together.

I'm not so sure.

A friend who knows a player who we were apparently interested in signing told me a couple of weeks ago that we were about to be taken over - not sure if that had come from the player himself, but it is obviously well known that the club is up for sale, no matter what the official position may be.
  • Options

tricky said:

I'm not so sure.

A friend who knows a player who we were apparently interested in signing told me a couple of weeks ago that we were about to be taken over - not sure if that had come from the player himself, but it is obviously well known that the club is up for sale, no matter what the official position may be.
    Just out of interest - who was the player. Would be interesting to know what sort of level player we are looking at

• Options
    Swisdom said:

tricky said:

I'm not so sure.

Just out of interest - who was the player. Would be interesting to know what sort of level player we are looking at

Paul gorman... ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tricky said:

Assuming Ince and Powell still talk, which they surely do - had it been the previous takeover he would have referred to it in the past tense. My guess is that Fuller wanted to stay but couldn't wait any longer and this probably means a takeover is probably on but not imminent or guaranteed.

Of course it is possible Powell would have told Ince on the course that he would like to keep Fuller but needed the Russian takeover to go through, but surely if Ince was interested in the player he would keep on top of the situation.

Elementary my dear Watson.
  • Options

tricky said:

Assuming Ince and Powell still talk, which they surely do - had it been the previous takeover he would have referred to it in the past tense. My guess is that Fuller wanted to stay but couldn't wait any longer and this probably means a takeover is probably on but not imminent or guaranteed.

Of course it is possible Powell would have told Ince on the course that he would like to keep Fuller but needed the Russian takeover to go through, but surely if Ince was interested in the player he would keep on top of the situation.

Elementary my dear Watson.
    What's this "ten" group ? Source ? ;0)