Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ashes: Fifth Test

Comments

• Options

Seems a bit harsh to drop Bird - his lbw dismissal of Cook at Durham was superb

2-125 off 42 up there suggests he's quite economical, but not exactly much of a wicket threat. None of their three supposed quicks have been anything other than average whenever they've bowled in this series (Pattinson, Starc or Bird). Siddle and Harris have been far and away their best bowlers.
  • Options
    When was the last time England went into a final Ashes test having the series wrapped up? In Oz two years ago we went into the last test knowing that The Aussies could still square the series.
  • Options
    What a joke selection, this Aussie management team are out for a laugh surely?

Choosing 17 players in a series is a farce, what exactly has Faulkner done to deserve a spot in the side? Nothing.

VERY long tail too, Haddin is not a Test class number six.

That's probably the end of the road for Khawaja, Hughes and Cowan - but they have nobody at all to replace them.
  • Options
    Starc is like the English bowlers of yesteryear (Chris Lewis, Defreitas etc) who were constantly being dropped and recalled!
  • Options
    I feel no sympathy for them, and I'd be disappointed if we played anything other than the strongest eleven

All of my memory until very recently has been filled with us getting humiliated by them convict settlers. I think we have not batted anywhere near our capabilities but pieterson is pretty obviously not fit or is he is, he is playing within himself so as not to hurt himself and his performance has suffered. Trott has been surprisingly bad, cook has had a rough time but I have complete confidence he will find form, bell has set his own standards a long time ago and is living up to them now.

Bowlers, Broad bowled brilliantly in spells as is his want, Anderson for whatever reason didn't seem as hostile as normal. Swann didn't pull any trees up but did what he had to do. I was really impressed by Bresnan whenever I saw him.

The only threatened places in my opinion are Root to open and Bairstow. His fielding and a decent score this week should save him though.

The aussies are screwed, they have an undermined leader and no confidence. We should capitalise
  • Options
    Lehmann is a sticking plaster over a gaping sore. Same old chopping and changing, headless, clueless rubbish. I'm enjoying this. It's like the 90s in reverse. Australia basically have a largish pool of similar mediocre players. changing them won't make a difference. Only Clarke would walk into any other team, Harris at a push. Watson has been up and down the batting lineup like a pole dancer. quite frankly, it's only some indifferent batting from England and a freak performance from Agar that have made our wins less resounding. We are probably one batsman and one bowler away from being as good as a full strength South Africa. Don't know who that batsman could be, but Finn could come good.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Topley is good, tall and left handed. Mills is a southpaw too, and can bowl 94mph, and had England in some trouble. He's still pretty raw but has the tools.

Reece topley is definitely worth keeping tabs on but even through my Essex tinted specs I can't see mills getting anywhere near a call up.
    He is extremely quick but lacks the control needed in the longer form of the game.
  • Options
    Woakes and Kerrigan play, no Bairstow, looks like Prior 6, Woakes 7, 5 bowlers, 2 spinners.
  • Options
    Now there's a surprising lineup! Wasn't expecting that. I like it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

McBobbin said:

Topley is good, tall and left handed. Mills is a southpaw too, and can bowl 94mph, and had England in some trouble. He's still pretty raw but has the tools.

Reece topley is definitely worth keeping tabs on but even through my Essex tinted specs I can't see mills getting anywhere near a call up.
    He is extremely quick but lacks the control needed in the longer form of the game.
    Tend to agree, and I support Essex as well. Both have played for the development squad I think, so it will be interesting to see how their careers pan out. England have their eye on them.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Now there's a surprising lineup! Wasn't expecting that. I like it.

Thinking about the future?

Expect to see Stuart Broad really fired up after the comments by Lehman today.
  • Options
    CHG said:

Woakes and Kerrigan play, no Bairstow, looks like Prior 6, Woakes 7, 5 bowlers, 2 spinners.

good selection .. have a look at some 'prospects' .. Bairstow will not be missed other than for his fielding ... Two spinners? .. good .. I am sure that Woakes is a lovely lad, BUT he does not convince me as a potential regular test player .. However, we will see, I wish them all the best
  • Options
    Aussies batting after winning the toss.
  • Options
    Woakes 6 Prior 7 apparently.
  • Options
    CHG said:

With 2 spinners England would have liked to bat first.

I wonder what Monty is thinking, as even with his poor form this summer he would have been the second spinner if it wasn't for his, ahem, personal issues
  • Options
    Panesar needs to prove his worth again. Hopefully at Essex (not currently happening). Good to see what others can do in a dead rubber... But I hope it's intense. Broad will be pissed off. It's not as if Haddin walked now is it? Lehmann is in over his head.

God I want 4-0. That would please me immensely
  • Options

Woakes 6 Prior 7 apparently.

Let's hope he can score enough runs there, it will balance the side beautifully if he can.

• Options
    What are Panesars personal issues? I know he got pissed up and had a slash somewhere but is that it? Seems a bit harsh.
  • Options

CHG said:

With 2 spinners England would have liked to bat first.

I wonder what Monty is thinking, as even with his poor form this summer he would have been the second spinner if it wasn't for his, ahem, personal issues
    He's been 'released' (sacked?) by Sussex. His career is in danger of disintegrating, that is if it hasn't already .. shame, he always seemed like such a gentleman .. the dangers of booze !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plaaayer said:

What are Panesars personal issues? I know he got pissed up and had a slash somewhere but is that it? Seems a bit harsh.

he had a slash 'on someone'

not normal behaviour!

Love Monty, hope he turns it around and leaps around soon! I love watching his reaction/celebration when he gets a wicket.
  • Options
    Panesar has had an unhappy time at Sussex, where he's not performed at all well.

I'm guessing that he's be on his own & maybe living in a hotel (only guessing).

It's quite likely that he's lonely, bored & homesick.

Culminating in him getting thrown out of a Brighton sea front club for harassing a number of women & then he went up above & pissed on the bouncers.

Well played I thought :-)
  • Options
    He split up with his missus.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

He split up with his missus.

has he been celebrating or drowning his sorrows do you think ? (:->)
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

Went though a messy divorce, and went off the rails a bit. Just been released by Sussex, and currently at Essex on loan
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    11-1

Warner c Prior b Anderson 6
  • Options
    Aussies will be lucky to get 100 on this pitch
  • Options
    might need to come up with a new plan for Saturday and Sunday at this rate as I won't be spending much time at The Oval!
  • Options

might need to come up with a new plan for Saturday and Sunday at this rate as I won't be spending much time at The Oval!

Its only 11-1, I wouldnt worry too much yet!

I am just happy that tomorrow is safe though......;)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Watson survives an LBW shout from Anderson.
    He's lucky because it should have been given out, although if we had reviewed, it wouldn't have been overturned.