Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Doncaster Rovers| Sat 24th Aug 2013| Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction

This weekend sees Paul (my) Dickov’s Doncaster Rovers visit the Valley hoping to continue their decent start to the season. While Doncaster have been turning a few heads after their recent displays, Chris Powell’s Addicks are still looking for their first win of the season.

However, after coming from 2-0 behind to draw with Barnsley, Charlton have a lot more belief that they can turn their disappointing start around with a win this weekend.

The Opposition

At the beginning of the season, it was looking like Doncaster were going to really struggle due to the lack of players within their squad and things didn't help when they lost 3-1 on the opening day to Blackpool which made them one of the favourites to go down.

However, since that defeat, Doncaster have looked impressive especially when they defeated Blackburn 2-0 with one of their latest recruits Theo Robinson scoring during the match. In addition, Dickov would have been delighted with his side’s performance and effort during their 2-2 away draw at Wigan even if Donny were 2-0 up during the game.

It’s more than likely that Doncaster will keep the same side that drew with Wigan last Tuesday, meaning that summer signing Dean Furman is likely to remain on the bench along with striker Billy Paynter as Robinson and Craig Brown will probably continue upfront.

Player to Watch

Striker Theo Robinson is my choice for player to watch this week as the ex-Millwall front-man as scored two goals in two games since his arrival from Derby earlier this month. Robinson possess great pace and definitely knows where the goal is. With Charlton yet to keep a clean sheet this season, we better be weary of the danger Robinson has to offer.

The Line –Up

Not for the first time in Chris Powell’s reign as Charlton manager, he has a major dilemma who to play in the middle of midfield. Mark Gower hasn’t impressed much so far this season and while Jackson is still a doubt for Saturday’s game it appears to be a difficult situation for Powell.

However, after coming on at Half-Time last week and scoring, youth protégée Jordan Cousins may get a starting place, highlighting again the Addicks strength in their academy following the emergence of Callum Harriott last season. Dale Stephens is another doubt while Andy Hughes will be pushing for a starting place in the middle along with Danny Hollands.

One positive piece of news is that Bradley Pritchard is available for selection again following a three-match suspension, meaning that Lawrie Wilson will probably miss out on the right wing.

At the back, despite Morro’s shaky start to the season, I expect him to continue in centre of defence alongside one of Dorian Dervite/Leon Cort although the latter would be my choice after his decent displays against Oxford and Barnsley.

Upfront, Simon Church is likely to continue alongside Yann Kermorgant after grabbing the equaliser last week away at Barnsley. This means that Marvin Sordell will probably be on the bench again for the Addicks.

The Prediction

2-1 victory for the Addicks.

Comments

• Options
    Pritchard Gower Cousins and Harriot seems a more balanced midfield but two young and inexperienced players plus Pritchard who needs to get back to his, excellent, form at the end of last season.

Tough game against a team we shouldn't take lightly. 2 - 1 to the Addicks. Just.
  • Options
    We win 2-0

Hamer
    Solly, Cort, Morro, Wiggins
    Pritchard, Dervite, Jackson, Harriott
    Kerm, Church
  • Options
    That team looks a bit more solid I think. Cousins should definitely be given a chance and Cort start at the back. 1-1.
  • Options
    We lose 2-1
  • Options
    On current form it looks like a win for Donny, 1-2 maybe.
  • Options
    Will be on one in Newcastle this weekend so it's bound to be a stormer of a game.

3-2 Charlton
  • Options
    1-2 to Doncaster.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    In think he will start with Gower and Cousins in centre midfield and Jackson on the bench.
  • Options
    Doncaster will fly a bit under the radar this season, the club has a few very tidy players and is well managed and funded.

My team: Hamer Solly Cort Morrison Wiggins .. Wilson Gower Cousins Harriott .. Kermorgant Church

Result?: CAFC 1 v Doncaster Rovers 1
  • Options
    I've been lucky to have been up the training ground this week with my 13 year old nephew whose on a summer camp. Ben Hamer looks to be out with a dislocated finger but JJ is very optimistic of playing and is promising the kids goals when he's back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    0 - 2
  • Options
    3-1 to CP's Red & white Army
  • Options
    I'm on holiday and not going so by rights we should win a cracking game 3-2 or 4-2......rights don't come into it though 0-2.
  • Options

SCP will never do it but is it time to drop Yann (who is clearly too fat) so we can pack the midfield and play Church on his own up front????
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Hamer
    Solly Cort Morro Wiggins
    Wilson Pritchard Gower Harriot
    Church Yann

2-1 addicks
  • Options
    Hamer
    Solly, Morrison, Cort, Evina,
    Pritch, Cousins, Gower, Jacko, Harriott,
    Church
  • Options
    Be happy with a win - dont care how we play!
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Hamer
    Solly, Morrison, Cort, Evina,
    Pritch, Cousins, Gower, Jacko, Harriott,
    Church

This - Yann is well overweight, it is sad to say. How the hell did that come about? Makes you wonder what went on pre season when you look at the likes of Wiggins and Solly looking similarly sluggish.

But like the previous poster said, CP will never do it.

And part of me worries about the previous failings of 4-5-1 at home. How about:

Hamer

Solly, Morro, Cort, Evina
    Pritch, Cousins, Jacko, Harriott
    Church, Sordell

Force us to play to feet more.
  • Options
    We will win with a decent display of attacking football and solid defending. 2-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We will win with a decent display of attacking football and solid defending. 2-0

What on earth would we moan about?
  • Options
    Don't think we've ironed out our problems yet so I'll go 1-2 Doncaster and a poor match.
  • Options
    Doncaster are playing with confidence and were not at the minute. 1-2 away win
  • Options
    Bound to be a tight old game low on quality, but having said that I'll go for the only goal in a 1-0 win.
  • Options
    0-0 written all over it
  • Options
    For me, I would drop Morrison. Far too many mistakes over the last year, complacent and doesn't think his place in the side is under threat. Cort is strong, solid and reliable, dervite had a good run once he got settled in the side at the back end of last season. Now we come to the middle of the park where we are weakest. Would love to see cousins start, but fear Powell will revert to captain slow coach Jackson. Yes he scores goals, but when the whole team is imbalanced to accommodate him, then I would expect him to score at least 10 a season. Pritchard probably back on the right (again we sacrifice natural width for the sake of Jackson). He's a good player, but we get the best out of him in the middle, but Powell has to persist with gower being one of only 4 signings this summer. Ideally I would go, hamer, solly, wiggins, dervite, cort, green/Pritchard, gower, cousins, Harriott, kermorgant, church. Players we should do all we can to ship out between now and the window are Wilson, Stephens, Hollands. Obviously only if we get replacements, but those 3 are poor players
  • Options
    Our opposition this weekend have aspirations to achieve promotion this season, so they won't be a pushover. I hope we can build on the draw we stole last weekend and steal another one this week. My hopeful prediction: 1-1.

Having said that, I won't be there, having agreed to play a gig (how did that happen?), so it'll probably be a 7-6 thriller and widely acknowledged as the game of the season. :-)
  • Options
    think it will be a 1-0 to the addicks....we need to get our season going....so Saturday is as good a place to start as any....match thread from 14:00.
  • Options
    1-2 doncaster
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I'm on holiday and not going so by rights we should win a cracking game 3-2 or 4-2......rights don't come into it though 0-2.

Likewise can't make this one and if last season is anything to go by likley to miss a cracker either 5-4 or 4-0