Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Doncaster Rovers| Sat 24th Aug 2013| Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    I reckon Stubley's team prediction is about right, except I think CP will stick with Gower in midfield and have Cousins come off the bench again.

No way will he drop Yann, and neither should he ffs. He scored that screamer at Bournemouth and set up Church's goal at Barnsley. Still not at his best but still the best we've got. We should not go with one striker at home and Sordell hasn't done anything to displace Yann yet.

My first game of he season after being away on holiday. Tough match, and I'm going 1-1.
  • Options
    if the rumour that Hamer has dislocated his finger is true then Pope will be in goal and who will be on the bench?
    I'm feeling optimistic so 1-0
  • Options
    Just heard on the radio that Arsenal Ladies beat Doncaster 6-0 last night...so might scrape a 0-0.
  • Options
    I'm under no illusions that this will be anything but a very tough game but I had a dream last night that we won 4-0 so I'll go with that.

Church with the opener from a defence-splitting Gower pass, Yann with a cracker of a free kick, Church gets a second with a deflected screamer and Sordell comes off the bench to get a tap in.

SCP also gives all his instructions from the dugout via the medium of interpretive dance.

I should probably stop eating cheese before bed.
  • Options
    Tough game I reckon a 1-0 either way just can't make my mind up. Hope it's a better game that the crap we had to watch against Boro
  • Options

I'm under no illusions that this will be anything but a very tough game but I had a dream last night that we won 4-0 so I'll go with that.

Church with the opener from a defence-splitting Gower pass, Yann with a cracker of a free kick, Church gets a second with a deflected screamer and Sordell comes off the bench to get a tap in.

SCP also gives all his instructions from the dugout via the medium of interpretive dance.

I should probably stop eating cheese before bed.

What type of cheese was it ? I wouldn't mind a Charlton winning 4-0 dream , it might be my only chance this season to watch the reds trounce a team.

• Options
    I think it looks like ' attacker Dickov against defender Powell ', and I am fearful of another poor performance at home. Please don't make me watch Morrison with his long high balls to their Centre Backs again, unless we have Joe Pigott up front. Come on CP, if he is good enough to be on the bench, he is good enough to be on the pitch.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I think it looks like ' attacker Dickov against defender Powell ', and I am fearful of another poor performance at home. Please don't make me watch Morrison with his long high balls to their Centre Backs again, unless we have Joe Pigott up front. Come on CP, if he is good enough to be on the bench, he is good enough to be on the pitch.

Happy memories of watching those attractive free flowing games of hoof-ball against Dickov's Oldham in League 1. It was like going to the dentist and having a wisdom tooth removed without anaesthetic.

Roll on Saturday and I am taking cheese rolls so I can dream through the second half if necessary.
  • Options
    Really dreading this game - already received phone calls dasking "are you scared??" from father in law when rovers went two up against Wigan. Everything crossed for a big convincing win or I'm hiding in the wardrobe til the Huddersfield game!
  • Options
    3-0 home win. Kermorgant with all 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 Charlton. Church to score both - and being a Church he will like lots of crosses.
  • Options
    FIRMANI9 said:

2-0 Charlton. Church to score both - and being a Church he will like lots of crosses.

boom boom .....
  • Options
    We usually pull out a good result when we least expect it. 3-1 charlton.
  • Options
    Ok Lincsaddick - how about being a Church he will bury all his chances ? No ? Please yerself !
  • Options
    like it ... and with Kermorgant .. a marriage made in heaven
  • Options
    My first game of the season... we will lose 2-0
  • Options
    5 nil to Doncaster back in either the RO or the Lib by 4 PM.
  • Options

5 nil to Doncaster back in either the RO or the Lib by 4 PM.

So if that's half-time score, what do you reckon by full-time?!

• Options
    0-2 Rovers win. (See the excellent 'Knowing Me, knowing You' article, and you too will be probably be scared)
  • Options
    Most games are won and lost in midfield. 4th game of the season and we still haven't sorted out the midfield. I reckon Hughes/ Jacko is our best Cent Mid partnership from the current bunch. If they aren't available, I'd look at Gower/Dervite as an alternative. Get the Cent Mid right and the rest of the team fits together.

Wouldn't be surprised if Doncaster look at the Boro game and come with a three man cent mid. In which case, no need to go 4-5-1, the Right Midfielder has to come inside to match up 3 v 3 (Wilson or Pritchard), or the second striker needs to drop deeper. Both Green and Kermorgant failed to do the job at different stages in the Boro game and we allowed them to play 3v2 for most of the game, so CP can't rely on those two to do the job. We ain't good enough to give opponents a one man advantage in the middle of the park, and in the Boro game we didn't have the leadership on the pitch to sort out the problem. I would expect us to shape up better this time.

Happy with any combination of Morrison / Cort / Dervite at CB, or any combination of the four strikers Kermorgant / Church / Sordell / Pigott.

If the midfield functions better, a 2-1 win. If it doesn't 0-0 or 0-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first game of the season so hoping for a nice 3-0 win and a few beers
  • Options
    Hope to see a midfield of Pritchard Gower Cousins Harriott. Don't rush Jackson back, if he's fit enough put him on the bench.

Cort at centre back, Yann and Church up front. Rest of the team picks itself, though could argue Dervite should play ahead of Morrison.
  • Options
    I would too go with 1 upfront, that being Church. Would go with Dervite and Cort at the back as both have impressed so far and Morrison unfortunately hasn't. Big fan of Morro but he needs to know his position in the team isn't safe.
  • Options
    The closer we get the worse i feel about this game.
  • Options

Oh dear! Have some faith, SWP! We've got to set about Donny Rovers with gusto, put them on the back foot right from the off. Surely we can't play worse than against Boro!

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Faith in what exactly? Our general home performances over the last few years (L1 promotion season excepted of course).

I stick with a 1-2 Donnie win and more pressure on Sir Chris to get the CAFC free scoring rip roaring bandwagon rolling for the Leicester game (by coincidence my debut this season).

ALWAYS happy to be wrong of course.
  • Options

Faith in what exactly? Our general home performances over the last few years (L1 promotion season excepted of course).

I stick with a 1-2 Donnie win and more pressure on Sir Chris to get the CAFC free scoring rip roaring bandwagon rolling for the Leicester game (by coincidence my debut this season).

ALWAYS happy to be wrong of course.

Yeah, I know only too well about our weak home performances last season. We've got to up the tempo, keep pressing the opposition and make some chances. I've a feeling we'll turn the screw and beat Donny on Saturday - though I'm not confident about Leicester next week, your first game back!

• Options

Just wait til half-time for that really acute suicidal feeling..
  • Options
    working so no doubt a barnstormin home win...
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Most games are won and lost in midfield. 4th game of the season and we still haven't sorted out the midfield. I reckon Hughes/ Jacko is our best Cent Mid partnership from the current bunch. If they aren't available, I'd look at Gower/Dervite as an alternative. Get the Cent Mid right and the rest of the team fits together.

Wouldn't be surprised if Doncaster look at the Boro game and come with a three man cent mid. In which case, no need to go 4-5-1, the Right Midfielder has to come inside to match up 3 v 3 (Wilson or Pritchard), or the second striker needs to drop deeper. Both Green and Kermorgant failed to do the job at different stages in the Boro game and we allowed them to play 3v2 for most of the game, so CP can't rely on those two to do the job. We ain't good enough to give opponents a one man advantage in the middle of the park, and in the Boro game we didn't have the leadership on the pitch to sort out the problem. I would expect us to shape up better this time.

Happy with any combination of Morrison / Cort / Dervite at CB, or any combination of the four strikers Kermorgant / Church / Sordell / Pigott.

If the midfield functions better, a 2-1 win. If it doesn't 0-0 or 0-1.

What a load of tosh.doncaster win 3.0 if we're lucky.