Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Doncaster Rovers| Sat 24th Aug 2013| Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Hope we come out of the starting blocks pretty quickly for this one. I'm sure Donny will be keen to take the game to us. First 20 minutes are going to be very important. Can't see us winning this but will plump for a 1-1.
  • Options
    I don't like playing 4-5-1 at home, too negative.

I have an alternative suggestion, though. How about trying 3-5-2?

It takes advantage of having Wood, a natural left footer in the squad.

My suggestion is to play Wood on the left, Dervite as the spare man, and either Cort or Morrison on the right. It will probably be Morro, as captain.

In midfield, the central midfield has Gower as the playmaker, with Cousins and Hollands doing the donkey work. These two have a natural balance as a right- and left-footer. Also, if Stephens and Jackson are available, they are natural alternatives to Hollands and Gower.

Out wide, you can play more attacking with Harriott and Green, or more defensively with Wilson and Evina. I know that may be sacrelige to some, dropping Solly and Wiggins, but they haven't exactly set the world alight so far this season.

That allows us to play 2 up front, the obvious 2 (at present) Yann and Church.

With Dervite at the spare man, if he carries the ball out from the back, in effect we have a 6 man midfield.
  • Options
    I think Cousins and Pritchard have to play in this one. Their energy wil hopefully give us th elift we need.
  • Options

If we don't get three points tomorrow try to avoid looking at the fixtures for October.

(Notts Forest, Blackpool, Blackburn, Wigan and then Birmingham and Leeds in early Nov).
  • Options

My suggestion is to play Wood on the left, Dervite as the spare man, and either Cort or Morrison on the right. It will probably be Morro, as captain.

In midfield, the central midfield has Gower as the playmaker, with Cousins and Hollands doing the donkey work. These two have a natural balance as a right- and left-footer. Also, if Stephens and Jackson are available, they are natural alternatives to Hollands and Gower.

Out wide, you can play more attacking with Harriott and Green, or more defensively with Wilson and Evina. I know that may be sacrelige to some, dropping Solly and Wiggins, but they haven't exactly set the world alight so far this season.

With Dervite at the spare man, if he carries the ball out from the back, in effect we have a 6 man midfield.

You'd essentially be sacraficing Wiggins and Solly for Wilson and Evina and or Green. Whilst the formation might be more exciting, you're replacing good players with average (or in Greens case, poor) which doesn't make much sense.

I do agree that 4-5-1 is too negative at home, it feels like asking for trouble. I'd go 4-4-2 with Dervite and possibly Court in the middle and Harriott, Cousins, Gower and Pritchard in midfield and Yann and Church upfront.
  • Options
    The problem with playing one up front at home is that it becomes easier for opponents to frustrate - the crowd loses patience and the players end up making rash decisions as a result.
  • Options
    2-0 early goal then ---------loads of donkeycaster chances all missed and we then score 4th min of added on time.

I thank you!!!!!

• Options
    0-6
  • Options
    Doncaster are no mugs. If we turn up we have a chance. If we play like we did against Boro we will lose.
  • Options
    For me, Cort has to start alongside Dervite. Think Morro would benefit from the wake-up call of being dropped.
    To get anything from this we really need to see more urgency and up-for-it-ness from the first whistle than what was on display at Barnsley.

1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doncaster are riding on the crest of a wave right now. League 1 champions and they have reinforced their team with some good summer signings. Also this week their chairman was hinting at more investment. I also seem to remember they effectively relegated us a few years ago and I think they will leave happy again. 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    Can't see anything beyond a Donny win, unfortunately.
  • Options
    I just hope that the players are a lot less negative than this thread
  • Options

It would work better as a 3-5-2/5-3-2 with Wiggins and Solly as wing backs.

Also I don't believe 4-5-1 is defensive at all. I'd rather play 4-5-1 and keep the ball than 4-4-2 and lose the midfield battle and spend most of the match defending. What's the point in having 2 strikers if they aren't going to see the ball? At least with 4-5-1 you have goal threats from the midfield Jackson, Harriott etc who are encouraged to push forward more to support the striker.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

For me, I would drop Morrison. Far too many mistakes over the last year, complacent and doesn't think his place in the side is under threat. Cort is strong, solid and reliable, dervite had a good run once he got settled in the side at the back end of last season. Now we come to the middle of the park where we are weakest. Would love to see cousins start, but fear Powell will revert to captain slow coach Jackson. Yes he scores goals, but when the whole team is imbalanced to accommodate him, then I would expect him to score at least 10 a season. Pritchard probably back on the right (again we sacrifice natural width for the sake of Jackson). He's a good player, but we get the best out of him in the middle, but Powell has to persist with gower being one of only 4 signings this summer. Ideally I would go, hamer, solly, wiggins, dervite, cort, green/Pritchard, gower, cousins, Harriott, kermorgant, church. Players we should do all we can to ship out between now and the window are Wilson, Stephens, Hollands. Obviously only if we get replacements, but those 3 are poor players

Have to agree with you about Morrison, would rather see Dervite and Cort in CM. I just hate Morro launching the ball up front where the opposition say ' thanks very much, we'll just launch it back again'.

• Options
    Agree with the comments that if we get the midfield right, then we will do ok. Stuff up the midfield combination and we won't. Doncaster are a hard working team and we need to match their work rate. Pritchard and Cousins to do the running around in midfield. Gower to play further up the midfield (if he is playing).

Hoping for a 2-1 win, though it could go the other way.
  • Options
    See you at the match vff. Need a win but would take a draw to stop the rot
  • Options
    Hopefully Cousins and Cort will start. I can see goals in this one what with our porous defence and all that. I'm going for a 3-2 Addicks win.
  • Options
    FIRMANI9 said:

2-0 Charlton. Church to score both - and being a Church he will like lots of crosses.

should do the tombstone celebration when he scores
  • Options
    strange isn't it. Neither I or Golfie have commented and yet it's all doom and gloom. What's the matter with you lot, moany buggers ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

strange isn't it. Neither I or Golfie have commented and yet it's all doom and gloom. What's the matter with you lot, moany buggers ;-)

Large - Like you and Golfie, I am a Charlton realist, as well as a Charlton romantic. Yes, I know it was only against Oxford United in the League Cup, but there was a period in the second half when we were absolutely ruthless: stretching their defence, then carving them open, them battering them, all in thirty seconds. And then we did it again; it was thrillingly merciless - we had Oxford by the throat. Today, we must do the same against Donny Rovers: stamp our authority, then pass and move - quickly.

• Options

Large - Like you and Golfie, I am a Charlton realist, as well as a Charlton romantic. Yes, I know it was only against Oxford United in the League Cup, but there was a period in the second half when we were absolutely ruthless: stretching their defence, then carving them open, them battering them, all in thirty seconds. And then we did it again; it was thrillingly merciless - we had Oxford by the throat. Today, we must do the same against Donny Rovers: stamp our authority, then pass and move - quickly.

OR... Morrow can hoof it up to Kermo

;0)

What you doing up? I thought i was an insomniac.

• Options
    Honeymoon season after promotion well and truly gone and the crest of a wave disintegrated into the memory banks the scary truth imo is we're gonna be scrapping for our lives all season
    I'd be happy with a point but fear a dull defeat to send the dwindling home support back from whence it came depressed and stressed about the reality of our situation
    0-2 and the knives will be sharpened

Pass me the Prozac
  • Options
    A 2-0 or 2-1 win. I'd like to see Cortand Dervite at the back and Cousins get a start.
    Incidentally, not only is today my 45th birthday it's also 39 years to the day since my first game at The Valley.
  • Options

A 2-0 or 2-1 win. I'd like to see Cortand Dervite at the back and Cousins get a start.
    Incidentally, not only is today my 45th birthday it's also 39 years to the day since my first game at The Valley.

Happy birthday mate. Hope you/we get 3 points for your present
  • Options
    Happy birthday Alan , what was result in your first match
  • Options
    Cheers fellas. We won 2-0 against Hereford. I think, though may be wrong, Richie Bowman scored a penalty
  • Options
    Well let's hope for the same result , have a good one Al
  • Options
    First game of the season and we are going to get all three points .... hopefully
  • Options
    Any chance of the weather intervening? Meant to be constant heavy rain all day, with some localised EXTREMELY heavy bursts according to the met office. Thinking back to Hull last year when it was as close to being called off as you could get. Has to be a consideration. Knowing our luck, we will be 3-0 up after 65 mins or something.