Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Debut for a CAFC player?

Who do you think has had the worst CAFC debut?

One comes to my mind is...

Djimi Traore

also special mention to Sasa Ilic for his West Ham debut.

Comments

• Options
    Oumar pouso...
  • Options

Oumar pouso...

Poor sod was on his own in midfield!
  • Options
    Leon Clarke looked absolutely dreadful when he came on as a sub for his first appearance. He picked up the ball on the half way line and we were 3 on 3 - yet he didn't seem to have the ability to run forwards with the ball at the same time, kept getting it stuck between his feet and completely scuffed it up.
  • Options
    Thought your username would give that away.
  • Options
    Tahar El Khalej
  • Options
    Goalkeeper Les Surman RIP - nightmare debut in 1965 including an own goal in the first minute. Died tragically young.
  • Options

Tahar El Khalej

This, all day long. I wish Mick Collins would come along to reproduce the exact words he used in his match report on the OS.

What was Curbs thinking of?

• Options
    Tahar El-Khalej is a great shout, truly dreadful.
  • Options
    Mikel Alonso.
  • Options
    Sweaty Balmer didn't cover himself in glory on his debut but certainly made up for it after.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jim Stannard. A nightmare one game on loan goalkeeping performance against soon to be relegated Cardiff at the Valley in March/April 1985. Conceded 4 in a 4-1 defeat, just 4 days after the fine comeback against Barnsley when 3-0 down and we won 5-3.

Took my wife to be to her first ever game and realise now it was Stannard who made it so memorable!
  • Options
    Was it Andy Hughes's debut at right back against Brentford in the JPT, he was awful in that game.
  • Options
    I often think players that make a poor - or at least underwhelming - debut can be the ones that go on to be very good, whereas those that have a great debut go downhill from there. Probably more true of midfielders and defenders than strikers, though, and not always true!
  • Options
    Mike Small - Millwall away
  • Options
    Tom Hovi - Bolton away I think - had a mare.
  • Options

Tom Hovi - Bolton away I think - had a mare.

Didnt do much better in his second game 3-4 defeat to Derby after being 3-1 up.

• Options
    Mike Small or Steve Dowman.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Steve Harrison full back 1982 was dire, ex Watford went on to be a respected coach and right hand man to Steve Mclaren.
  • Options
    Although previously posted re Jim Stannard, in reality it has to be Alonso v Brentford, two seasons ago.
  • Options
    Scott Sinclair. Did nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has to be Pouso - only played about 20 mins and then was subbed. As Brownie once said, he was "blowing out of his arse"
  • Options

Mikel Alonso.

Mikel instantly sprung to mind.

Was Leeds Tahar El-Khalej's début?
  • Options
    Tom Hovi played once for us at home to Derby I think. Hi sole contribution was slicing a clearance up into the air in his own box that was pounced on and scored by Gabbiadini.
  • Options

Has to be Pouso - only played about 20 mins and then was subbed. As Brownie once said, he was "blowing out of his arse"

57 mins to be exact ;)

• Options
    My mind jumped straight to El Khalej too.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Leon Clarke looked absolutely dreadful when he came on as a sub for his first appearance. He picked up the ball on the half way line and we were 3 on 3 - yet he didn't seem to have the ability to run forwards with the ball at the same time, kept getting it stuck between his feet and completely scuffed it up.

You know you had a bad game, when you come on as a sub and have to apologise for such a bad performance!
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs............... oh :-(
  • Options
    Jason Euell
  • Options
    Two candidates from me: the aforementioned Sweaty who had a shocker (and an own goal I believe?) and the legendary Bob Bolder who was truly awful away at Manchester City which I think was his debut.
    Of course both players went on to be fantastic servants of the club; unlike some others mentioned!
  • Options

Mikel Alonso.

Mikel instantly sprung to mind.

Was Leeds Tahar El-Khalej's début?
    El-Khalej probably shouldn't be in this list because his debut was the 3-0 win against Villa - 1-6 against Leeds was his second game.
    He may not have impressed in the Villa game, but I think we're all thinking of Leeds when we remember how shit he was.