Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Debut for a CAFC player?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Did he only get 1 game as sub? He must have been worse than I thought lol
  • Options
    Danny Seabourne looked pretty awful v Ipswich at home last season
  • Options
    Mike Small will forever be a legend for that one appearance for us. Truly awful, totally out of his depth on the day and to be fair he admits it if asked.
  • Options
    Not for Charlton but does anyone remember Woodgates debut for Real Madrid? Scored an own goal and got sent off for two yellows. Probably the worst debut I've seen in football.
  • Options

Danny Seabourne looked pretty awful v Ipswich at home last season

I think his debut was against Bristol City, where he was decent
  • Options
    Akpo Sodje - didn't do anything like it said on the tin!
  • Options

CH4RLTON said:

Eggert Jónsson worst performance think he touched the ball about twice in the first 20 minutes he was on the pitch

If his debut was the game away at Burnley then THIS !!!!!
    So shit its unreal and im being polite.

He had made two late substitute appearances already the season before, but when Scott Wagstaff made his first start (against Yeovil in the League Cup), he was truly diabolical and rightly taken off at HT.

Just don't remember this fella at all.
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20121207-jonsson-531094.aspx
    Like you, MOG, I also have absolutely no recollection of Eggert Jonsson. I wasn't at Burnley but saw the home win against Posh when apparently he came on as a late sub. The invisible man?

I agree with an earlier poster, nominating Mike Small as a useless debutant (on loan from West Ham). Remember watching him trundle around at the new Den in March 1994 - lost 2-1 (Nelson). Small appeared to have no understanding of the offside law.

• Options
    Eggert Jonsson/Mikel Alonso
  • Options
    Bob Bolder - away v Man City on a cold and wet Saturday in October, two goals were conceded and he was at fault for both.
  • Options

I might be wrong but didn't Darren Randolf fumble the ball into the net on his debut?

After first saving a penalty...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lee Harmsworth also away at Man City in 1985.
  • Options

Lee Harmsworth also away at Man City in 1985.

That wasn't quite his debut, which was at Carlisle the week before, but the poor lad was horribly outplayed in the Man City game (5-1). Senior keepers Nicky Johns, Tony Lange and John Vaughan were all injured.

• Options
    Changing the thread slightly, it might be interesting to list the worst players to play for Charlton, by position, from number one to number 11. I would start by nominating the worst CF that played for us - one Carl Leaburn. He had no pace whatsoever, couldn't trap a bag of cement and probably couldn't beat my grandmother in the air.
  • Options
    Another one I'm not sure if it was his debut or not - definitely one of his first games for us.

Pardew away to Bristol City, got sent off for spitting at an opponent.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Changing the thread slightly, it might be interesting to list the worst players to play for Charlton, by position, from number one to number 11. I would start by nominating the worst CF that played for us - one Carl Leaburn. He had no pace whatsoever, couldn't trap a bag of cement and probably couldn't beat my grandmother in the air.

Ha ha! I agree with you, Peter, but many on here do not. I remember a ball flashing across the box in a game when we were lodging at Sell-Out Park, and all Leaburn had to do was stay where he was and it would have struck his head and hit the net. He didn't even have to jump - but he ducked, the ball went sailing out for a throw-in, and the Holmesdale Road end erupted in laughter.

Another failure - Peter Shaw, with those shanked balls that went out for a throw....

• Options
    Never quite worked out how or why Peter Shaw played week after week, total of 105 appearances....mystery!
  • Options
    I should add that Carl Leaburn was two footed - he was useless with both!