Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just how serious is this?

This following Charlton malarkey.We've had highs and god have we had some lows.The dark days of selhurst,losing to Dagenham and Redbridge yada yada yada, but something about our current predicament has got me very concerned.Some might say worried. In fact more so than I think I've ever been.

So am I being a wet blanket? Or is this situation as bad if not worse than it's ever been?

Comments

• Options
    Only time will tell. Unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It's not as bad as it was at 3.20 this afternoon.
  • Options
    Charlton Pheonix F.C rising through non league is my prediction..........................
  • Options
    Worried too. The contract situation is dire and I don't sense the same togetherness or spirit as last year. May be wrong but without that desire and spirit we are serious relegation contenders.
  • Options
    Strange situation all round, no money yet we haven't sold anyone yet, owners asking for a unrealistic figure to sell, but they'll get considerably less if we are a league one side next season. Something will have to give in the next few months
  • Options

Worried too. The contract situation is dire and I don't sense the same togetherness or spirit as last year. May be wrong but without that desire and spirit we are serious relegation contenders.

It's not just the fear of relegation that's worrying me SJH. That comes with the Charlton territory.

• Options
    Crikey mate be careful some here would give Hamer MOM even if we lost 9-0....situation is as bad... as last year we did great but you need to progress every year...most teams have considerably strengthened, yes i know we havent got no dosh bottom 6 or prob bottom 3 is beckoning unless something drastic is done.
  • Options
    Source? : - )

I'm optimistic. Not because the situation is good, it's bad imo, but because it is coming to a head and I hope that will mean a sale to better, richer owners.

We shall see.
  • Options
    Progress isn't always required, just try not to go backwards, which we seem to be doing at the moment..................
  • Options

I'm optimistic. Not because the situation is good, it's bad imo, but because it is coming to a head and I hope that will mean a sale to better, richer owners.

We shall see.

This.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    progression is important as static means backwards.
  • Options

We shall see.

Maybe that's the problem.I've lost my dreaming reflex!

;-)

• Options
    Off the pitch shenanigans worry me a lot more than the playing side of things at the moment.
  • Options
    Its definitely not as bad or worse than it's ever been is it? That's a massive exaggeration.
  • Options

Its definitely not as bad or worse than it's ever been is it? That's a massive exaggeration.

Well not at this exact moment in time Norfolk ,no.

But it really does have some potential wouldn't you agree?

• Options
    IF the problem is the players' contracts all expiring in 9 months time, then there is a huge problem ahead. It may already be too late to convince many of the players to sign new contracts, even if they were offered. Why would anybody commit themselves to a club that could be fighting relegation this season / relegated back to Division 1 next season? They may prefer to let their existing contracts run down & take their chances next summer. This could lead to a total lack of commitment, team spirit, whatever you want to call it as the season progresses. And of course the manager is in exactly the same situation......
  • Options
    Bad very bad sjh is right although the team spirit is there but tgis is not a tight unit like it has been and this is because of the contract situation

Fractures are appearing where cracks once were

When the fractures become breaks we are in the shit and scp will bear the brunt
  • Options
    Being bad on the pitch is a worry, but its football, and thats what its all about. Its the off the field stuff that is (or isnt) going on. Its the lack of information. The what seems complete lack of understanding what the fans want in terms of communication and openness. We dont want to know every little detail, but a working plan which we can follow and gauge our progress off the pitch.
  • Options
    I think events relating to Charlton circa 1985 were worse!
  • Options
    There is something rotten in the State of Denmark.

Damn shame for all of us who hold this club of ours so dear. I do strive to "live life, love and be happy" concerning the Addicks despite my natural affiliation to the glass half empty brigade but we are sliding into a very dark place which I thought we would never see again in my lifetime. Painful.

Perhaps a couple wins? well maybe not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something seems very wrong and numerous players are underperforming. I can't remotely understand what our current owners are up to.....
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Always been a glass half full regarding our club. But that relates mainly to the stuff I see on the pitch. To be honest I have little idea as to how companies run and the terminology etc.

But now I see, this early into the season, a playing and coaching staff who look demoralised. And quite rightly. This could do short and long term harm to the club and the silence, arrogance and contempt of our board is hard to ignore.

Remember a few years ago when Slater wrote to all season ticket holders outlining his vision and aims. And how important and valued we, as supporters were? And what now? Silence, invisibility and disregard for the same people he was almost pleading with two years ago.

We have a great man managing our club. We have great players who, technically are inferior to most others in this league, give or take a couple but who would walk over hot coals for their manager, team mates and fans.

And we have us. And frankly we deserve better than the treatment we are currently receiving. As do the loyal and hardworking back room staff who have been so brutally and unceremoniously ditched.

So am I worried? Yes, most definitely. Because what I see on the pitch concerns me and we have pretty much the same personnel as last year so what has changed? I think we all know the answer to that.
  • Options
    Slater and tj with this contract stuff is killing our club
  • Options
    Al part of the play with infinite acts m8 :-)
  • Options
    Stig said:

It's not as bad as it was at 3.20 this afternoon.

true
  • Options

Well not at this exact moment in time Norfolk ,no.

But it really does have some potential wouldn't you agree?

Potential yes. But its only a worry still at the moment. Potentially we could be taken over by a very big hearted billionaire and everything will be wonderful.
  • Options
    NLA - unless you have definite word from the players involved who have told you that they are playing underpar because they are worried about their future, you are merely speculating about the effect of the contract situation but you are passing it off as indisputable truth and other people are following your lead. Personally, I think such speculation does not help.
  • Options

Always been a glass half full regarding our club. But that relates mainly to the stuff I see on the pitch. To be honest I have little idea as to how companies run and the terminology etc.

But now I see, this early into the season, a playing and coaching staff who look demoralised. And quite rightly. This could do short and long term harm to the club and the silence, arrogance and contempt of our board is hard to ignore.

Remember a few years ago when Slater wrote to all season ticket holders outlining his vision and aims. And how important and valued we, as supporters were? And what now? Silence, invisibility and disregard for the same people he was almost pleading with two years ago.

We have a great man managing our club. We have great players who, technically are inferior to most others in this league, give or take a couple but who would walk over hot coals for their manager, team mates and fans.

And we have us. And frankly we deserve better than the treatment we are currently receiving. As do the loyal and hardworking back room staff who have been so brutally and unceremoniously ditched.

So am I worried? Yes, most definitely. Because what I see on the pitch concerns me and we have pretty much the same personnel as last year so what has changed? I think we all know the answer to that.

I wrote Slater's letter!
  • Options
    Nadou said:

NLA - unless you have definite word from the players involved who have told you that they are playing underpar because they are worried about their future, you are merely speculating about the effect of the contract situation but you are passing it off as indisputable truth and other people are following your lead. Personally, I think such speculation does not help.

I'm 99% sure that at least one of our players is disillusioned after broken promises of a new contract and squad investment. Does that make him play worse than last season? Who knows, but I can see why it would have an effect.
  • Options
    Nadou said:

Don't you find it odd that nearly all of our playing staff have less than 12 months to run on their contracts?