Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just how serious is this?

Comments

• Options
    Ah but at least I'm a RED squirrel!
  • Options
    Welcome. You sure it's Suffolk and not Norfolk? Seems a bit Deliaesque to me... :-)
  • Options
    Welcome but perhaps you should have read various threads before posting. I was around in 1985, had a season ticket for the Selhurst years, contributed to Ronnie Moore, assisted during the Valley Party campaign etc. Things are getting bad. Do we just let them escalate until its too late? They are plenty on here well placed to comment being ex-staff, ex-directors etc. Nothing is being made up, we are in the sticky stuff. I can't see why we shouldn't be concerned about it.
  • Options

Welcome but perhaps you should have read various threads before posting. I was around in 1985, had a season ticket for the Selhurst years, contributed to Ronnie Moore, assisted during the Valley Party campaign etc. Things are getting bad. Do we just let them escalate until its too late? They are plenty on here well placed to comment being ex-staff, ex-directors etc. Nothing is being made up, we are in the sticky stuff. I can't see why we shouldn't be concerned about it.

Well said, Large.

• Options
    Blimey! Deliaesque. Now that's a word!
    However, Suffolk it is and I need a good reasons to take the wheels off f thew Tractor Boys so let's have some optimism.
  • Options

...Conversely, our own throw-ins are invariably slowly taken, unimaginative, and often defensive...

Interesting observation Viewfinder. I actually think that lots of ours are quite good. I would say they are imaginative, but we have a couple of players that can get nice long ones into the mixer. That's almost as good as a corner. Then again with our corners... ;-)
  • Options

Ok,, so this my first posting on this site and I apologise for not previously introducing myself.
    Right. Now let me get to the point. I have never read such a collection of negatve rubbish. Some of you should consider a career with those well known to us all, anti Charlton publications. Better still, write the programme notes for the Stripey Nigels or Smallwall. They'd love to read the verbal diarrohea being spewed by so called Charlton fans.
    How do some of you appear to 'know' so much about the goings on at the club? I bet you don't know half as much about the companies that pay your wages!
    If you are all so knowledgeable, how many of you can say that you are in managerial positions at the level of SCP and the board of directors?
    It isn't rocket science to understnd that the outgoings probably outweigh the income. Try spending your wages the way you think the club should use it's limited funds and see how long it is before you're sponsoring Newcastle United!
    You call yourselves supporters - get a dictionary.

You think this is tough? Speak to those of us who were around when we had a whip round to buy Ronnie Moore. Those of us that can remember 1985.

SCP is the current 'Lennie Lawrence'. Get behind him and the club like the supporters you claim to be.

Ffs, the hasn't got going yet and we're stil without half of our midfield.
    If the players take your negative attitude we might as well start planning the route to nowhere.
    Let's have a change of attitude and get of the anti-depressants.

Here we go again
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong wth being concerned. We all are. Is all this negatvity the right way to show it? Can't see any point or value. Perhas this is why we are where we are.
    The glass is haf full not haf empty!
  • Options

There's nothing wrong wth being concerned. We all are. Is all this negatvity the right way to show it? Can't see any point or value. Perhas this is why we are where we are.
    The glass is haf full not haf empty!

The point is, Afs, it's all about the haf and haf nots.

Trouble being that we are in the latter category..

• Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2013
    There's some good contributions on the thread. The team and CP can still do the best they can in difficult or stretched circumstances. That is the test of CPs management skills. There does come a point where lack of resources or weaknesses in the team can fatally undermine its confidence and ability of the team to pick up points.

TJ / MS may claim to be playing the long game with Financial Fair Play but that appears to rely on 3 worse teams emerging as a result of sanctions or fines. That would not appear to have an impact on preventing us being in or around the bottom 3. It would be helpful if they have a clear strategy that would clearly articulate it and communicate better with the supporters.

It would be folly to blindly ignore the state things that are going on and leave it to TJ / MS hands without any thought. That's how the club ended up at Selhurst Park without a ground.

There is still the core of players to make a decent fight of it.

It is possible to be realistic but positive without burying your head in the sand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We always haf been.
  • Options
    All I know about teams is that morale is enhanced within the group if after a season ending break the participants can see new faces and believe that future outcomes will be improved.

Clearly the sole recruitment of a 34 year old who was with us on loan didn't hit the spot when the boys returned from their summer break and the last minute dot com recruitment of two strikers was too little too late.

The emotional energy was never re-charged as evidenced by the lack of edge shown by key group players such as Quality, Wiggy, Yann and all.

The manager has a big final exam of his man management skills over the coming months!
  • Options
    Didn't palace lose there first 4 games last season? We are 3games in. I wouldn't worry at this stage. Look at the table after 12 games that's what I always do
  • Options
    Sounds a plan to me - just hope TJ & Co see it the same way.
  • Options

Ok,, so this my first posting on this site and I apologise for not previously introducing myself.
    Right. Now let me get to the point. I have never read such a collection of negatve rubbish. Some of you should consider a career with those well known to us all, anti Charlton publications. Better still, write the programme notes for the Stripey Nigels or Smallwall. They'd love to read the verbal diarrohea being spewed by so called Charlton fans.
    How do some of you appear to 'know' so much about the goings on at the club? I bet you don't know half as much about the companies that pay your wages!
    If you are all so knowledgeable, how many of you can say that you are in managerial positions at the level of SCP and the board of directors?
    It isn't rocket science to understnd that the outgoings probably outweigh the income. Try spending your wages the way you think the club should use it's limited funds and see how long it is before you're sponsoring Newcastle United!

You think this is tough? Speak to those of us who were around when we had a whip round to buy Ronnie Moore. Those of us that can remember 1985.

SCP is the current 'Lennie Lawrence'. Get behind him and the club like the supporters you claim to be.

If the players take your negative attitude we might as well start planning the route to nowhere.

I grant you the season is only 3 games old and it is far too early to say the team are in a relegation scrap.

But you must surely agree that the alledged lack of contracts being offered to players and Chris Powell is a massive concern. Even if the players and management achieve mid table security again, what happens at the end of the season? Wholesale changes in a football club, especially replacing a reliable manager, usually equals a lack of progress, if not worse.

It must be a very difficult situation to work in. If I were Powell id be feeling caught between a rock and a hard place- seemingly little cash to strengthen the squad unless a new owner is found, but that new owner could quite easily come in with the required cash, but give him the boot after a few dodgy results!!!

Likewise the players - 2 years of real progress and a desire to keep the momentum going as a cohesive unit, but no guaranteed reward of a new contract, even if a new owner is found. It must be unsettling to say the least.

All in my opinion.
  • Options

I grant you the season is only 3 games old and it is far too early to say the team are in a relegation scrap.

But you must surely agree that the alledged lack of contracts being offered to players and Chris Powell is a massive concern. Even if the players and management achieve mid table security again, what happens at the end of the season? Wholesale changes in a football club, especially replacing a reliable manager, usually equals a lack of progress, if not worse.

It must be a very difficult situation to work in. If I were Powell id be feeling caught between a rock and a hard place- seemingly little cash to strengthen the squad unless a new owner is found, but that new owner could quite easily come in with the required cash, but give him the boot after a few dodgy results!!!

Likewise the players - 2 years of real progress and a desire to keep the momentum going as a cohesive unit, but no guaranteed reward of a new contract, even if a new owner is found. It must be unsettling to say the least.

All in my opinion.
    It's not a bad opinion either in my opinion.

• Options
    Within the next few weeks the first managerial sackings of the season will begin. It's quite possible that SCP will be targeted by clubs looking for a new manager. In his position. offered a job with security and backing, what would you do? Of course it may not happen, but let's see.
  • Options

Yeah. Slater and Jimenez have got that ace under their sleeve. Haven't they?

• Options
    If you think this thread is negative and depressing then as a new member stay away this is a well thought out and balanced thread imo

• Options
    MSE7 said:

Didn't palace lose there first 4 games last season? We are 3games in. I wouldn't worry at this stage. Look at the table after 12 games that's what I always do

Yes. But we don't have Zaha and a 30 goal a season striker in Murray
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    _nam11 said:

MSE7 said:

Yes. But we don't have Zaha and a 30 goal a season striker in Murray
    We've got Harriot and Murray came from nowhere, so if Church keeps his rate up he'll get more than 30 :)
  • Options

If you think this thread is negative and depressing then as a new member stay away this is a well thought out and balanced thread imo

Quite so, NLA: we are all concerned and this thread contains important points concerning our weaknesses. It's not just the defeats that bother me, it's our poor standard of play. Being critical of our performances isn't the same as being "negative".

• Options
    If the players are wondering if they are going to be sold before the end of the window, then surely they'd want to play well, and get a move? The likes of Wiggins would, no doubt, leap at the chance if a PL club (e.g. palace) made an offer, but wouldn't exactly have impressed scouts yesterday.

The back 4 and keeper certainly seem to be collectively struggling, but then players go in and out of form. The Wednesday fans thought Morrison was rubbish, we thought he was great, though this season he's showing the form he had at Wednesday!

Going forward on Saturday we played well, and created plenty of chances, so you can hardly say attacking wise the team looked depressed?
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Quite so, NLA: we are all concerned and this thread contains important points concerning our weaknesses. It's not just the defeats that bother me, it's our poor standard of play. Being critical of our performances isn't the same as being "negative".

I think your missing the point a little bit mate. It isn't even about the performances for me. Believe it or not they've been quite good compared to some of the tripe I've seen served up over the years. No,its the bigger picture that has me most concerned.
    Which ill admit is probably having an adverse effect to performances on the pitch.

• Options
    MSE7 said:

Didn't Peterborough also lose their first four games last season ?

It's not that we've not had good results so far this season, it's the performances that are the worry. We've got players not giving their all, players not wanting the ball and not playing to the best of their abilities and that's new. That's something that's changed over the last seven or eight weeks since the 2012/13 season ended in such a spectacular run of form. Just to remind you - just twelve weeks ago we were rounding off a run that had seen us beat Bolton, Leeds, hammer Barnsley, Wolves with a comprehensive beating of Bristol City. What has changed ? It isn't really the players who are more or less the same. It's the attitudes and that's the worry. What has caused those attitudes to change so markedly in such a short space of time ? That, for me, is the real concern.

Pretending that everything will be ok because Palace lost a couple of games at the start of last season too is crazy - especially when you can see with your own eyes that things are very, very wrong. You can wait until November to worry if you like, but I'm worried now.

• Options
    I know this is a bit left field but here it is

maybe the current owners are waiting until the transfer window closes, then see who they have and offer new contracts accordingly when the terms might be less due to the impending new regulations on the financial side (can't remember what they are called)

I'm not suggesting this as support for the current regime as I think they are ruining our club.
  • Options
    I know I've mentioned FFP elsewhere but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that it is dawning on the players that, not only are they not going to get big pay rises, but their next contract could well see a significant pay cut.

Add into that the fact that many of our players will have been signed in league 1 with payrises on promotion. Those players that haven't raised their game enough are probably going to slip down the leagues again and that will, undoubtedly, mean less money.

All this will impact on the players individually, and as many of us on here know all too well, it is very hard to make changes to our lifestyle to account for a small drop in income, let alone a significant drop.

I'm not saying that the problems at the club are not having an impact, but I think all players outside of the Premier League will in, say five years, look back on today and bemoan just how good they had it!
  • Options

I think your missing the point a little bit mate. It isn't even about the performances for me. Believe it or not they've been quite good compared to some of the tripe I've seen served up over the years. No,its the bigger picture that has me most concerned.
    Which ill admit is probably having an adverse effect to performances on the pitch.

It's healthy that we Lifers have a range of opinions on the club's predicament. I hoped that our troubles off the pitch could remain separate from the performances on it; as you know, adversity can engender a toughened team spirit. Having watched Charlton for almost 50 years I assure you that I have seen some dross over the decades, too. This season we have the look of being lost - all at sea - that reminds me a bit of some desperately barren spells under Lennie Lawrence in the top flight in the 1980s. Against both Boro and Donny there were several instances were two of our players challenged for the same ball, resulting in comical collisions.

• Options
    se9addick said:

MSE7 said:

It's not that we've not had good results so far this season, it's the performances that are the worry. We've got players not giving their all, players not wanting the ball and not playing to the best of their abilities and that's new. That's something that's changed over the last seven or eight weeks since the 2012/13 season ended in such a spectacular run of form. Just to remind you - just twelve weeks ago we were rounding off a run that had seen us beat Bolton, Leeds, hammer Barnsley, Wolves with a comprehensive beating of Bristol City. What has changed ? It isn't really the players who are more or less the same. It's the attitudes and that's the worry. What has caused those attitudes to change so markedly in such a short space of time ? That, for me, is the real concern.

Pretending that everything will be ok because Palace lost a couple of games at the start of last season too is crazy - especially when you can see with your own eyes that things are very, very wrong. You can wait until November to worry if you like, but I'm worried now.

Hear, hear. Well said.

• Options

se9addick said:

MSE7 said:

Hear, hear. Well said.

If being very concerned about being 3-0 down against Doncaster Rovers within 18 mins at home makes you a manic-depressive who needs a dictionary, then we should start selling anti-depressants and the Oxford English Concise in the Valley superstore because there will be a long queue by the end of October.