Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just how serious is this?

Comments

• Options
    Nadou said:

NLA - unless you have definite word from the players involved who have told you that they are playing underpar because they are worried about their future, you are merely speculating about the effect of the contract situation but you are passing it off as indisputable truth and other people are following your lead. Personally, I think such speculation does not help.

Don't understand your thought process as surely the whole idea of a forum is to share thoughts and opinions however uncomfortable they may be!
  • Options
    Sorry but this is cr@p. If players are concerned about their future in 9 months they should be playing for a new contract. A lot of unemployed footballers out there.
  • Options

Sorry but this is cr@p. If players are concerned about their future in 9 months they should be playing for a new contract. A lot of unemployed footballers out there.

I don't think they're necessarily concerned about their future, it's more that they may believe it isn't going to be with us so their allegiance to the club dwindles. If your employees are mucking you around then the time will come that you stop working as hard for them.

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited August 2013
    That's exactly why their eye might be off the ball.

Times are changing in football below the Premier League. You're not guaranteed the £200,000 a year you were previously. You may play until you're 33 if you're lucky, what then? Security is needed, however short term it is.

Still a different world to many of us but many have mortgages/families that they will be considering and 'worrying' about. They're only human.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Not looking great . We have a team that lacks any real quality. Nobody who can put their foot on the ball and play that perfect pass. Our best hope is that there are three teams worse than us.
  • Options
    Believe what you want nadou i dont lie so if i post something its because i believe it to be true

Promises have been broken and deals have not been forth coming those players are now unsure what their or where their future lies

Players whether we like it or not are not able to always able to perform to their best ability like that

There is in bickering and there are players pissed off all of which imo scp is doing his best to contain

This is not too different in many clubs those clubs though achieve nothing

So yes the contract issue at our club is having a detrimental affect on the performance of the squad

• Options
    So Because the players contracts haven't been sorted out yet they all have to play like fucking idiots? Don't get me wrong the contract situation isn't ideal but If you run through the players today

Solly and Wigans could walk into most championship clubs and even a few prem club. Shouldn't be worried.

Morrison looking shakey for while time for him to prove his worth and earn a new contract. Cort wrong side of 30 needs to earn another extension.

Pritchard was playing non league football a couple of seasons ago he needs to prove he can get better and better. Should be loving every min of playing league football no excuse

Gower signed on a 1 year contract no excuse for being crap so far.

Cousins playing pro football for the first time should be enjoying every game and showing all what he can do and to be fair his doing that.

Harriot on a longer contract and still a lot to prove.

Church. New boy on 2 year contract

Kermit. Wrong side of 30 and has done enough to be able to walk into quite a few championship teams.

Jackson and Hughes wrong side of 30 should their contracts should be looked at in jan depending on how they are doing.

The rest all still need to prove themselves.
  • Options
    i dont give a shit about who has been promised what by whom and how much--------------we deserved better than that shit today----------we then fans.
  • Options
    Things are bad. The contract situation with the players is dire. TJ and MS seem to want play Russian roulette with their investment and our club. The team needs togetherness and team spirit to survive and without that it is league one standard. That spirit seems to be lacking.

Whatever happens to them as footballers, and whether they need to be plying their trade with Charlton or someone else, they need to work hard and show that they are employable. CP needs to motivate them with some backs against the wall fight. none of them or us knows whats going to happen, and whether they will be employed but we need to stand united, for the supporters and ignore whatever nonsense the owners are doing or not doing. By playing and performing at their best, will provide the best outcome.

If the miracle happens and a dawning sense of realisation gets into MS / TJ / skulls and they sell up at a reasonable price, and Charlton get some decent new owners, the players / manager will need to prove their worth to stay in the new set up, so pick it up and play as well as you can.
  • Options
    Personally, if I thought I'd shortly be looking for a new job and potential new employers could be watching me at any time I would be putting in good performances, not bad. Also, for my own peace of mind and sense of professionalism I would not want to turn in a bad performance. Why do football players act differently (assuming they do)?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Look i aint justifying it i have said i dont know how i feel about it but it is a big factor in what we are seeing

Players are pampered individuals and it dont take much to get them to drop ten or 15 % which imo is what we are seeing

Its not right its disrespectful to the fans eachother and the mgr but it is a huge factor
  • Options
    most look like they have given up
  • Options
    If senior players are worried about their contracts and its affecting their performance then they shouldn't be in the team imo , if they play well and are good enough they will get another contract elsewhere , get more kids in the 1st team who are hungry, and good enough to don the red shirt like Jordan Cousins, will be interesting to see what Tuesday nights lineups going to be , hope Piggy gets a run out.
  • Options
    I've feared for us (and believe me I'm not a doom merchant) all summer, we have, at best, a below average squad, we overachieved at the end of last season and we all truly know that, lack of team strengthening (for all the reasons quoted on CL so many times) put together with the scale of teams that are in the Championship this year added with those teams that have significant money all pointed to a tough season ahead, I see absolutely no shrewd of evidence so far that would allay my fears, I'm not saying we are doomed but it's looking like we have a tough road ahead, that said, we have a great set of supporters and we"ve been through tougher times.
  • Options
    Whos been performing on the pitch from what i have seen and read its

Cousins
    Church must be 4 goals in 4 games so itss not them who are below par and both dont have the contract issue hanging on them

Who else
  • Options
    All the time they're getting paid (which I'm assuming they are?) they should be giving 100% when they pull on the shirt. What is it with footballers claiming they're not in the right mindset to put in a shift...?

Look at Cabaye today refusing to play for Newcastle - it's an utter disgrace!
  • Options
    Its what happens though and your right its shit and wrong but it happens

It is a great thought drop the ones who are letting themselves down and evetyone else and put kids in but it will nevet happen
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    How many of our superstars deserve an extended contract. There's only a handful who I agree need to be sorted out. The other lot need to be looked at in jan and the rest need to play their nuts off and earn a new contract.
    Not sure I've missed any of the players on 1 year contracts but here is who I would like to keep and possibly bin depending on how season pans out

Hamer yes
    Solly yes
    Wiggins yes
    Morrison - needs to earn a new one decide in jan.
    Cort no
    Pritchard yes
    Gower no
    Kermogant getting on now wait till jan
    Green no
    Dervite wouldn't be fussed either way
    Wood same as above
    Evina same as above
    Jackson same as kermit
    Hughes no
    Hollands no
    Stephens no
    Cook no
    Wilson no
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You are bang on nicholas and i dont think i would disagree with anything or anyone you have suggested there except i would keep cort

But the players know that and thats why they seem to be playing below par
  • Options
    Surely the same thing is happening to most players in the football league so why does it seem to only effect us.

I agree there is something seriously wrong at the club at the moment but don't think the contracts is a major factor in it.

On the playing side of things that squad we have is good enough to finish half way up that league. So maybe the players manager and coaching staff are to blame for this awful start.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But what's changed from last year Nicholas? Same players, same coaches, same manager and we finished 9th.
  • Options
    WSS said:

But what's changed from last year Nicholas? Same players, same coaches, same manager and we finished 9th.

Probably the question on Chris Powell's lips when he wakes up screaming after another nightmare in which he dreams we are relegated to L1.
  • Options
    Who knows what they are feeling or thinking themselves or what promises were made to them that havent been reached or who they may lose before the window closes or who they hope to get in

I rhink once the window shuts things may become clearer but we could be bottom and sinking by then
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    WSS said:

I think our end of season run papered over a lot of cracks and gave us false hope , we need serious investment if we want to move forward, the current crop of players still have to prove that they are good enough to compete in this division imo , and that the end of season run wasn't a fluke.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Stailness ( if that's a word ! )
  • Options
    Maybe that's the problem. Same players for a 3rd season in a row. Everything has gone a bit stale. I think Gower in the middle has weakened us. I think Hollands Hughes Stephens must be pissed off that his come in after a couple of mediocre games last season and taken there place. Hughes come in and done well last season. Hollands has never been given a fair crack at the whip. Powell is a cautious manager his not really one for attacking teams he likes to defend well keep it tight and try and nick a goal so can't understand why he doesn't go back to 4-5-1 especially as we're so poor at the minute. Would much prefer us to play 4-4-2 and attack teams more but with the midfielders we have they all seem to be better playing alongside 2 others.
  • Options
    Get over it Carley. Not a great start to the season I will agree, but like other posts I encourage you to wait and see. Strange, in amongst the farce, that was today, I saw some good play. Doncaster had the rub of the water park, which according to their chairman was the best he has seen them play ever. He should find himself another team. I really believe we would have won the farce, sorry game, if it had gone all the way. However on a serious note I realise it could go either way, last years relatively high finish, relegation scrap, trapdoor. Keep the the faith
  • Options
    one day those crazy days of 9th will return
  • Options
    A little aprehensive but it's still early days. It's the Championship but time will tell.
  • Options
    Agree with what's been said about the players. Sod the board, you may not have a contract in July '14 but you have one now so man up. That is of course assuming they are being paid, and if they are not they should refuse to play and I'll be behind them. I'd rather they didn't play than have them play like spoilt kids who don't give a shit.