Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just how serious is this?

Comments

• Options
    Somebody said to me that just like the management did before our record breaking season in league one when they signed a whole new squad. That is the intention again at the end of this season. The board think that based on last seasons 9th place that this group will survive but they want wholesale change for next seasons push. Having no players in contract will help that.

I asked if this was just his opinion and he said no. He had been told.

Before the usual jumping down my throat. I don't have a source and what's more I don't actually believe it myself.

• Options

Somebody said to me that just like the management did before our record breaking season in league one when they signed a whole new squad. That is the intention again at the end of this season. The board think that based on last seasons 9th place that this group will survive but they want wholesale change for next seasons push. Having no players in contract will help that.

Before the usual jumping down my throat. I don't have a source and what's more I don't actually believe it myself.

Not jumping down your throat, but this would only make sense if players with decent re-sale values like Solly, Kerms etc (and the manager) had contracts and it was just they players who are only borderline good enough for this level that were without. That isn't the case.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Not jumping down your throat, but this would only make sense if players with decent re-sale values like Solly, Kerms etc (and the manager) had contracts and it was just they players who are only borderline good enough for this level that were without. That isn't the case.
    It's actually exactly what I said. Playing devils advocate for a moment I suppose they could be in discussion with the one or two they want to retain. Would we actually know ? I certainly don't. The major concern for me is the CP part of it. I am genuinely concerned that there is something very momentous on the horizon and I hope it's for good not bad.

• Options

se9addick said:

It's actually exactly what I said. Playing devils advocate for a moment I suppose they could be in discussion with the one or two they want to retain. Would we actually know ? I certainly don't. The major concern for me is the CP part of it. I am genuinely concerned that there is something very momentous on the horizon and I hope it's for good not bad.

My original hope was that we were waiting on the Sky TV money before getting new contracts sorted, but I'd imagine that's been received now and we still haven't seen anyone sign up.
  • Options
    Has anyone else considered the prospect that poor lickle norvern Doncaster Rovers could do a Southampton/Norwich this season? ..a well funded, motivated, skilful and tough group of players who will do well. They remind me of a certain CAFC group over the past two (especially the 1 before last) seasons.
    Our players have lost a lot of zip this season. Forget the troubles, contracts, uncertainties. It is a cliché that the best professionals would play the game for the love of it, irrespective of the money.
    Let our players show that this notion is a truism.

Last point: Chris Powell in recent interviews has looked, hang dog, cheesed off and down in the dumps. This is definitely not how a manager should appear on TV even in very bad times. The fans and players need cheering up and not to see that their 'leader' is in a state possibly of borderline apathy and defeatism
  • Options

Last point: Chris Powell in recent interviews has looked, hang dog, cheesed off and down in the dumps. This is definitely not how a manager should appear on TV even in very bad times. The fans and players need cheering up and not to see that their 'leader' is in a state possibly of borderline apathy and defeatism

I get where you're coming from on this. I am not sure it is apathy and defeatism though. One of the reasons we love Chris is his open nature, his honesty and enthusiasm. He is a feeling and sensitive bloke, witness the 'mums birthday' interview when we got promoted. Chris may be finding it hard to keep any kind of poker face because that is the kind of man he is.
    I think Chris has to rise to the challenge of seeing opportunity in adversity, the rise of the younger players may be one such opportunity, creating an 'us against the moneybags world' may be another. I certainly think Damian Matthew and Alex Dyer can also share the load in this respect.
    Yes our resources are thin, the future is uncertain, but we are still a good group, with a lot of good players, and we need to plough on and avoid excuses.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I get where you're coming from on this. I am not sure it is apathy and defeatism though. One of the reasons we love Chris is his open nature, his honesty and enthusiasm. He is a feeling and sensitive bloke, witness the 'mums birthday' interview when we got promoted. Chris may be finding it hard to keep any kind of poker face because that is the kind of man he is.
    I think Chris has to rise to the challenge of seeing opportunity in adversity, the rise of the younger players may be one such opportunity, creating an 'us against the moneybags world' may be another. I certainly think Damian Matthew and Alex Dyer can also share the load in this respect.
    Yes our resources are thin, the future is uncertain, but we are still a good group, with a lot of good players, and we need to plough on and avoid excuses.
    good points sethP..
  • Options

seth plum said:

good points sethP..
    As per usual.

• Options

I know I've mentioned FFP elsewhere but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that it is dawning on the players that, not only are they not going to get big pay rises, but their next contract could well see a significant pay cut.

Add into that the fact that many of our players will have been signed in league 1 with payrises on promotion. Those players that haven't raised their game enough are probably going to slip down the leagues again and that will, undoubtedly, mean less money.

All this will impact on the players individually, and as many of us on here know all too well, it is very hard to make changes to our lifestyle to account for a small drop in income, let alone a significant drop.

I'm not saying that the problems at the club are not having an impact, but I think all players outside of the Premier League will in, say five years, look back on today and bemoan just how good they had it!

Whether it is FFP or the owners (of all Championship clubs) looking to reduce the annual deficit there is definitely a downwards trend in player contracts. In the absence of any proof I think it best to look at the last close season to imagine how things might pan out next summer... some players offered and signed extensions quickly, some let go and some offered lower terms... the last group either found better terms elsewhere or signed on at CAFC for another year.

So for players to keep up their remuneration when the average might be falling they either have to make themselves indespensible or attractive to other clubs.

And the management have the challenge of getting the club through this phase...

All we have to do is give them 100% support.

• Options
    Players need to buck up. They are better than what i have seen this season and need to take responsibility for their poor performances.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Results have been disappointing so far, and I can't help but wonder whether our pre-season schedule wasn't testing enough. Aside from hosting Scotland's finest, we didn't really play anyone of any quality. It's one thing boosting morale by getting a few wins under the belt, but being able to boast that you were unbeaten in all but one friendly (btw what happened to the Havant & W. game?) may not be enough to prepare for the league. If we really want the team to be up to speed for Championship football, surely we need some opposition a bit more testing than Welling and Wombledon.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Results have been disappointing so far, and I can't help but wonder whether our pre-season schedule wasn't testing enough. Aside from hosting Scotland's finest, we didn't really play anyone of any quality. It's one thing boosting morale by getting a few wins under the belt, but being able to boast that you were unbeaten in all but one friendly (btw what happened to the Havant & W. game?) may not be enough to prepare for the league. If we really want the team to be up to speed for Championship football, surely we need some opposition a bit more testing than Welling and Wombledon.

Stig - the Havant & Waterlooville game (won 4-3 after being 1-3 down) was for the Under-21s and was reported briefly on CL with eight minutes of video highlights: grim viewing with shocking defending and a vacuous midfield! Sounds familiar? Interesting point you make about lower league opposition in pre-season friendlies - but we struggled quite badly even against AFC Wombles....

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Viewfinder. I must have missed that with all the excitement of the Middlesbrough game that day ;-)
  • Options

I know I've mentioned FFP elsewhere but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that it is dawning on the players that, not only are they not going to get big pay rises, but their next contract could well see a significant pay cut.

Add into that the fact that many of our players will have been signed in league 1 with payrises on promotion. Those players that haven't raised their game enough are probably going to slip down the leagues again and that will, undoubtedly, mean less money.

All this will impact on the players individually, and as many of us on here know all too well, it is very hard to make changes to our lifestyle to account for a small drop in income, let alone a significant drop.

I'm not saying that the problems at the club are not having an impact, but I think all players outside of the Premier League will in, say five years, look back on today and bemoan just how good they had it!

Whether it is FFP or the owners (of all Championship clubs) looking to reduce the annual deficit there is definitely a downwards trend in player contracts. In the absence of any proof I think it best to look at the last close season to imagine how things might pan out next summer... some players offered and signed extensions quickly, some let go and some offered lower terms... the last group either found better terms elsewhere or signed on at CAFC for another year.

So for players to keep up their remuneration when the average might be falling they either have to make themselves indespensible or attractive to other clubs.

And the management have the challenge of getting the club through this phase...

All we have to do is give them 100% support.

Within any squad there will be players moving forward in their careers and others fading or treading water. The contract situation should reflect that, regardless of what is happening across the wider market. At present there is at least one very serious pay anomaly within our squad that would stagger most people on here. I can't disclose it but I'm not at all surprised if that is affecting performances.
  • Options
    Why not disclose it, Airman? Isn't it the role of fanzines to dig and delve, then to expose? You evidently think the pay anomaly is affecting performances, so it's a serious matter that goes beyond financial confidentiality. The punters should be told!
  • Options
    I don't expect names Airman, but is it a perceived overpayment or underpayment?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Stig said:

Underpayment.
  • Options
    That explains Solly's poor form then?
  • Options

This!
    Been thinking this for a while but didnt want to be the one to "break the news" A lot of posters on here make the assumption that the board are stupid / don't know what they are doing.

My observation is that they are single minded and ruthless.

Players who do well this season may be kept on...it is very clear that some players will be let go.

The board are not going to explain what they are doing because they don't believe they have to... the irony is that if wheels start falling off then the change in direction they will have to take will be late, and much more expensive than simply adding quality to the squad over the close season.

Once again join the Trust
  • Options

Stig said:

Underpayment.
    Not good...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My suspicion is that our selling board song wSnt to cough up higher wages prior to a (hopefully) sale and will spin it to the prospective purchasers that they will have a nearly clean slate in order for the manager (whoever) to re build a squad if their choice from the existing squad and new signings.

My reference to the manager is because some new owners will favour a new broom (it happened with this mob re Parky) whilst others will let the existing gaffer get on with it.
  • Options
    @seriously_red:
    "My observation is that they are single minded and ruthless."

My observation is that the owner of virtually every football club is a businessman of sorts, and would doubtless describe himself as "single-minded and ruthless". Certainly you'd expect to use those terms to describe somebody who has made relatively big money in the security business.

The only relevant question is whether they have a strategy that is likely to be successful for CAFC. Or even, if the money has run out, whether they have a strategy at all. Of course it is simplistic and unhelpful to parrot "you don't know what you're doing". It is however reasonable to observe that what they are doing, in terms of pre-season squad assembly, is manifestly different to what they did in close season 2011; and since that strategy was very effective, its also reasonable to ask why it has changed.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

@seriously_red:
    "My observation is that they are single minded and ruthless."

My observation is that the owner of virtually every football club is a businessman of sorts, and would doubtless describe himself as "single-minded and ruthless". Certainly you'd expect to use those terms to describe somebody who has made relatively big money in the security business.

The only relevant question is whether they have a strategy that is likely to be successful for CAFC. Or even, if the money has run out, whether they have a strategy at all. Of course it is simplistic and unhelpful to parrot "you don't know what you're doing". It is however reasonable to observe that what they are doing, in terms of pre-season squad assembly, is manifestly different to what they did in close season 2011; and since that strategy was very effective, its also reasonable to ask why it has changed.

But it is no different to last summer 2012? And Shooters Hill Gurus rumour suggests a repeat of 2011 in 10 months time. So it's the obvious interpretation of what is going on - that the current / new owners have a clean slate to work on in summer 2014. Church, Harriott + perhaps 40-50% of the players whose contracts expire.

I could go further but it is up to the club to explain what their strategy is - attempting to interpret events as an implicit strategy in anything less than doom and gloom / shoot the board terminology is puts one at risk of being labelled as an apologist!

There are obvious downsides to all of this and off the back of the strong finish last season the obvious thing to do was to strengthen the weakest parts of the squad to keep the club competitive. And by not communicating with the fans it leaves them out of the loop and there is a vacuum for all kinds of "experts" to enter with their theories.

Once again there is no doubt in my mind that this season is going to be a very bumpy ride... here's hoping Kermorgant does his usual against Leicester!

• Options
    Let's keep this simple. I have been trying my damnedest to work out what is clever about having all your most saleable assets, and a capable, coveted manager, on contracts which run out in the summer, and with both a week of this window, and an entire January window, in which their agents can force a sale.

I could understand the strategy if either:

Footballers were machines, and a major technological breakthrough in the machines was expected next year,
    or

Footballers were low-cost labourers and new legislation was coming in next summer which meant the single-minded ruthless owners could sack them all and hire replacements at half the price.

However neither of these things are true, so I remain mystified.
  • Options

Let's keep this simple. I have been trying my damnedest to work out what is clever about having all your most saleable assets, and a capable, coveted manager, on contracts which run out in the summer, and with both a week of this window, and an entire January window, in which their agents can force a sale.

Footballers were machines, and a major technological breakthrough in the machines was expected next year,
    or

Footballers were low-cost labourers and new legislation was coming in next summer which meant the single-minded ruthless owners could sack them all and hire replacements at half the price.

Keeping it simple Prague.
    What if they ,the board,cannot afford to pay the raise in wages that players and staff would command with a new contract because they are completely potless?
  • Options

or

How about if you expect to pay most of them less than they are currently being paid, if you retain them at all that is? I accept that this won't apply to all of the players, but it might apply to most. Also, what do you do if you are relegated and can't offload your most highly paid players because nobody will pick up their wages?

In reality, agreeing new contracts is always going to be a fine balance; renewing players now for three years, say, is a two-way street. It has the potential to increase risk as well as to reduce it. It does appear that the Club is taking a hard line, but perhaps it's a calculated gamble that might come off? Who knows? What would we say if we heard next month that both Solly and Wiggins had been offered extensions? Would we still think the owners were nuts? I'm not saying the owners are doing the right thing. I simply don't know. I'm merely suggesting its not black and white.

It's the Manager's job to keep the players focused and motivated. I'm sure that's not easy when players have unrealistic expectations, with agents encouraging them to operate a "heads I win, tails you lose" strategy in which they'll happily take higher pay than they deserve if they underperform (bet Danny Green won't match his current pay next time around) or, alternatively, quickly push for an increase if they happen to develop, but it's an important part of the role.

I agree that it's not looking great, but we do need to retain a sense of perspective. A case can be made that we have, potentially, a better squad than last season (though we'll miss Fuller and need Sordell to deliver) whilst the players are obviously now more experienced at this level. If the Manager is as good as we all think he is, we'll be fine, but it's going to be another hard season.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

or

How about if you expect to pay most of them less than they are currently being paid, if you retain them at all that is? I accept that this won't apply to all of the players, but it might apply to most. Also, what do you do if you are relegated and can't offload your most highly paid players because nobody will pick up their wages?

In reality, agreeing new contracts is always going to be a fine balance; renewing players now for three years, say, is a two-way street. It has the potential to increase risk as well as to reduce it. It does appear that the Club is taking a hard line, but perhaps it's a calculated gamble that might come off? Who knows? What would we say if we heard next month that both Solly and Wiggins had been offered extensions? Would we still think the owners were nuts? I'm not saying the owners are doing the right thing. I simply don't know. I'm merely suggesting its not black and white.

It's the Manager's job to keep the players focused and motivated. I'm sure that's not easy when players have unrealistic expectations, with agents encouraging them to operate a "heads I win, tails you lose" strategy in which they'll happily take higher pay than they deserve if they underperform (bet Danny Green won't match his current pay next time around) or, alternatively, quickly push for an increase if they happen to develop, but it's an important part of the role.

I agree that it's not looking great, but we do need to retain a sense of perspective. A case can be made that we have, potentially, a better squad than last season (though we'll miss Fuller and need Sordell to deliver) whilst the players are obviously now more experienced at this level. If the Manager is as good as we all think he is, we'll be fine, but it's going to be another hard season.
    Good points, Mundell. As I said earlier on another thread, financial troubles and other off-pitch woes could have the effect of increasing team spirit: a sort of siege mentality: us against the world. But so far this season on the pitch we have looked disorganised to the point of being lost.
  • Options

or

Good points, Mundell. As I said earlier on another thread, financial troubles and other off-pitch woes could have the effect of increasing team spirit: a sort of siege mentality: us against the world. But so far this season on the pitch we have looked disorganised to the point of being lost.
    Perhaps, but we looked disorganised to the point of being lost at times last season too. Fortunately, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Let's see where we are after a dozen games or so.
  • Options

As I said earlier on another thread, financial troubles and other off-pitch woes could have the effect of increasing team spirit: a sort of siege mentality: us against the world.

But if you don't trust/believe in the people you're working for, it's easier to let down the people you're working with. The siege mentality works when you believe that those on your side are actually on your side!