Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just how serious is this?

Comments

• Options
    Solly (if it is him AB was referring to which I'm not 100% sure) signed a new deal in Jan 2012 so less than three years ago.
  • Options

masicat said:

No contracts means due diligence.

I'm a business knowledge vacuum. Please explain why you think this.

I 'think' Masicat is suggesting that if we were in the potential process of a sale / due dillegence phase, the 'old board' won't commit to new contracts (long-term spend) either directly on the say of the potential interested party, or indirectly to provide the most limited forward commitments.

Not fully sure i buy that though.

I could see it being their line when the manager has asked for new players or current players a new contract.

Whether it is actually happening or has been anywhere near to happening is a different matter.
  • Options

masicat said:

I 'think' Masicat is suggesting that if we were in the potential process of a sale / due dillegence phase, the 'old board' won't commit to new contracts (long-term spend) either directly on the say of the potential interested party, or indirectly to provide the most limited forward commitments.

I could see it being their line when the manager has asked for new players or current players a new contract.

Whether it is actually happening or has been anywhere near to happening is a different matter.
    It is logical to me that no contractual extensions would be financially prudent to the existing board and a requirement of serious potential purchaserswho would want a clean slate in terms of staff.
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

masicat said:

It is logical to me that no contractual extensions would be financially prudent to the existing board and a requirement of serious potential purchaserswho would want a clean slate in terms of staff.
    I doubt either the current owners or any potential purchasers want high value assets, worth possibly millions, leaving for free.
  • Options
    But if a possible deal is complted by Xmas the potential purchasers could sweeten the improved contract offers to those the (then) manager wants to keep and offload those on the B list.
  • Options
    But that is a very big "IF".

My worry is that TJ and MS only have one plan ie sell the Club. Beyond that there seems to be nothing.
  • Options

Is it grossly unfair if a young player signs say a 3-year contract on relatively low wages and then subsequently during the contract turns out to be a better player than the club (and possibly he) expected? For every player that would meet this description, there are several more who drift instead, perhaps even out of the game altogether (in a full-time sense).

The contract provides a type of insurance to the young player, enabling him to earn and save enough during the course of it to provide a financial foundation for whatever his career subsequently brings. It also provides insurance to the club should the player turn out instead to be a potential star (enabling them to use his services cheaply and earn a proper transfer fee if/when sold).

Surely one can only assess the gross unfairness of it at the time it is signed, not with the benefit of hindsight?

I don't think it is "grossly unfair". I think it is bloody stupid.

We put Lee Bowyer on a new four year contract, and then a year or so later sold him for what at the time was decent money, and which was needed to fund further development. This principle of dealing with talented ex Academy players is long -established, and I don't see any thing in the current climate which changes the basic sound business sense behind it. We should do the same for Chris Solly because he has proved himself. You don't do it for players like Cousins and Piggot yet because they have not remotely proved themselves.

I am baffled why intelligent posters are trying to pretend this policy is no longer the best one.

I wasn't suggesting it was necessarily good policy, just not 'grossly unfair' as an earlier poster had put it.

However the deflationary impact of FFP on wages is going to be very significant in my view, and the last people who will accept that fact will be the players (and their agents). It is therefore bound to be too early to get them to sign fairer 'post-FFP' type lower deals, and the club whether for cashflow reasons or 'due diligence' reasons is somewhat understandably not willing to sign deals at or better than current levels.

Solly may be a different case given his quality but as I understand it his age implies we can't lose him for free on a 'Bosman', whilst his agent is no doubt demanding top decile Championship wages for his player (and it's not clear why we would want to pay that in this environment, especially given there's no guarantee a satisfactory transfer bid would be forthcoming).
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

masicat said:

Handy that. ;-)

• Options
    Financial reality in the unsavoury world of modern day footy carly.
  • Options
    Forgive me if the Sun has got to me, but in my mind I am putting together a trio of Peter Varney, Ebsfleet Football Club, and some rich Kuwaiti's. My mind then wanders towards selling The Valley for building development, a 40,000 Stadium at Ebsfleet with its rail connections, and reversing the direction of the Charlton Coaches. I realise that I have now made a lot of people hate me, but go forward one generation and you see a different situation. I am not for one moment saying that I would want to see it, but at the moment we are completely in the dark. The sooner someone turns a light on the better !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lets use twitter to ask Solly what car he drives. Also, whether he has upgraded recently. That will give us an answer or two. :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2013

But that is a very big "IF".

My worry is that TJ and MS only have one plan ie sell the Club. Beyond that there seems to be nothing.

Personally I think that is exactly the situation. And if it is, then there is probably very little regard for what happens to the club, staff and players after the sale. There is little or no communication with fans because it does not matter, if you just want out. If players are not being paid properly then that is not a satisfactory thing for them and particularly not for CP who has to manage them. I think he is a man of integrity and that sort of s**t would probably hack him off no end. Especially with players who delivered the goods, some over and beyond, in the last two seasons. I expect it may well all get worse before it gets better.

• Options
    Granpa said:

Forgive me if the Sun has got to me, but in my mind I am putting together a trio of Peter Varney, Ebsfleet Football Club, and some rich Kuwaiti's. My mind then wanders towards selling The Valley for building development, a 40,000 Stadium at Ebsfleet with its rail connections, and reversing the direction of the Charlton Coaches. I realise that I have now made a lot of people hate me, but go forward one generation and you see a different situation. I am not for one moment saying that I would want to see it, but at the moment we are completely in the dark. The sooner someone turns a light on the better !

Explosive but if that's the nature of the beast then for me at least it would be plain stupid. Any re location would have to be to the peninsular. Better transport links and a bigger catchment potential.

• Options
    you never know granpa but I see us next to the O2 on the peninsular in the stadium earmarked in the Royal (?) Borough Development Plan.
  • Options
    I will say, reported money problems.

Danny Green has uploaded a pic to Instagram of him and Jordan Cook today, in the first class of a Virgin flight. Assuming they are travelling up to Hudders first class with Virgin.
  • Options
    I don't think it was a plane...
  • Options
    Fair point.

Ill keep my nose out of it
  • Options
    Err...a Virgin Train - but did look first class!
  • Options
    It is, ignore me
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

I will say, reported money problems.

Danny Green has uploaded a pic to Instagram of him and Jordan Cook today, in the first class of a Virgin flight. Assuming they are travelling up to Hudders first class with Virgin.

Did you see their tickets in the pic because they're probably bunking it !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

KHA

I am quite sure that Solly, Wiggins and possibly Hamer would be targets for PL clubs albeit those at the bottom. And Kermo is allegedly still of interest to Celtic. In which case all your salary assumptions go flying out of the window.

I fully respect your opinion, but I'm not, personally, convinced that any of those players will be in the Premier League in the next three seasons (the, realistic, contract length they can expect to be offered).

Kermorgant might, well, be a target for Celtic, but he chose us over them last summer (for a pay rise) and at 31 I'm not sure it makes sense to give him a much longer contract this side of Christmas.

Also, what does it do to team harmony if we give out contracts to just three players?

However, you are correct, if the players are much better than I rate them then my salary predictions are wrong - I just don't think they are.
  • Options
    Don't think its that far north that kermy will go
  • Options
    Incidentally, I'm not rubbishing our players and I have no desire for them to leave, I just think the standard of the Premier League is so much higher than the Championship.

Realistically, I'm more than happy in the second division, and on that basis I'd be delighted if we kept Solly and Wiggins.

Just before I get hammered for daring to 'criticise' Solly!
  • Options

Incidentally, I'm not rubbishing our players and I have no desire for them to leave, I just think the standard of the Premier League is so much higher than the Championship.

Realistically, I'm more than happy in the second division, and on that basis I'd be delighted if we kept Solly and Wiggins.

Just before I get hammered for daring to 'criticise' Solly!

You have to bear in mind that Prem club that comes in for Solly or Wiggins won't expect to throw them in straight away. Most of them can easily afford to bung 3-4m at a developing or 'cover' fullback, especially if their wages are moderate. And as we can see with the stripeys, the lesser clubs struggle to attract existing prem talent, even if they have the money.
  • Options

Please don't say such things. I've just got my signed Kerm shirt. Haven't even got it framed yet.

• Options

spill the beans nla

• Options
    Blackpool.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Blackpool.

If that happens I will send my signed shirt back to the person who gave it to me, with a request to shove it up Slater's arse

• Options
    I'd like to also say I don't think it will happen.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

This sounds like a great theory. We can change our name to the Charlton and Ebbsfleet Camels. name the new stadium the Northfleet Oasis and and all wear traditional Arab head-dress to home fixtures. Come on you Addicks Camels.