Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just how serious is this?

Comments

• Options
    WSS said:

I'd like to also say I don't think it will happen.

And to be fair to Michael Slater, who organised my shirt, I'm hoping against hope that if Kermo was off, Slater might have told my friend, who got it as a surprise for me, "maybe you might want to choose another player..."

Football. Sometimes I hate it that it consumes so much of my emotional energy

• Options

WSS said:

I'd like to also say I don't think it will happen.

Football. Sometimes I hate it that it consumes so much of my emotional energy

Well at least you are not wasting it on something unimportant....

• Options
    Just sat and read through this entire post. phew headache.

There is a lot of rumour/speculation/second hand info/ and possible insider knowledge on here which just adds to the whole confusion of our predicament.

We are clearly in trouble re contracts and player satisfaction/motivation. This is now having an adverse effect on our performance and subsequent results. The reason for this is mostly unknown. Yes we are up for sale but at what stage is this? - nothing on gumtree yet, I just looked.

Things behind the scenes are not going to change in the immediate future I feel, so that begs the question how will things on the pitch change?

As a fan it is a very frustrating time, I feel there is nothing I/we can do bar sit on our hands and wait. Cheering the lads on will help, but if they are not motivated it will invariably do little. Calling for the board to leave is pointless as that is precisely what they are trying to do.

Never in my time as a Charlton fan have I felt so helpless to our predicament.
  • Options

I feel there is nothing I/we can do bar sit on our hands and wait.

Charlton Life to sponsor a 100% support for the team blimp and have it anchored on the training ground the day before a match?
  • Options

Charlton Life to sponsor a 100% support for the team blimp and have it anchored on the training ground the day before a match?
    Sparrows Lane Lion will be in the garden with his air rifle
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Sparrows Lane Lion will be in the garden with his air rifle
    Lol, BIG_ROB !

I take danhughes99 points and agree it is proving to be a very difficult time for us, the fans.

I think we need to have faith in SCP regarding getting the boys' heads "sorted" if indeed the contract issues are playing a significant part in the performances on the pitch. We have to remember that he is in the same boat ( Titanic? ) and will have encountered plenty of challenging scenarios during his time as the PFA rep where he was called on to give advice to players. If there is anyone who can turn this around, it's our gaffer.

Not sure whether I should post this or even whether I have referred to it before, but when the POTY meeting with him took place last April, we spoke about the squad & young players stepping up to the plate. Callum and the way he'd taken his chance with both "feet" was discussed and SCP stated that " we nearly lost him earlier in the (last) season" ....He went on to say that he and Alex had worked tirelessly with the youngster to " get his head sorted again" and the result is there for us all to see. I took this as meaning that maybe Callum had needed help in getting those feet back on the ground , or something of a similar ilk and I believe that our Manager's man management skills are to be envied by others....unlike some previous managers we have known & "loved"!

So, we have to play our part in this as always by getting solidly behind whoever wears the shirt & help to drag this team up the league by positivity and encouragement. Apart from joining the Trust there is little else we can do but be assured that our part is not one of a minor character in this drama....Although we cannot claim to have the role of male/female lead, just imagine Les Mis without it's supporting cast ...

Let's do our utmost on Saturday to help transform this Les Mis into Happy Feet and get off this particular Carousel.

As BDL says " Let's make some ( SERIOUS!) noise !!!!!!

And keep the faith !

• Options
    Well said, Fanny.

And let's also hear the Red, Red, Robin loud and proud when the teams come out!
  • Options
    Indeed, Weegie.

Mr F found my old Dartford FC black & white wooden rattle in the garage whilst I was at the match last night.

Wondering whether to bring it on Saturday altho' the last time I used it, the head flew off and caught our goalie's fiancée bang on the knee...ouch !
  • Options
    Granpa said:

Forgive me if the Sun has got to me, but in my mind I am putting together a trio of Peter Varney, Ebsfleet Football Club, and some rich Kuwaiti's. My mind then wanders towards selling The Valley for building development, a 40,000 Stadium at Ebsfleet with its rail connections, and reversing the direction of the Charlton Coaches. I realise that I have now made a lot of people hate me, but go forward one generation and you see a different situation. I am not for one moment saying that I would want to see it, but at the moment we are completely in the dark. The sooner someone turns a light on the better !

Thats just it we are completely in the dark,until the court cases in september if infact it goes to court we could put afew more parts of the jigsaw together.People that were Charlton are elsewhere or have very little say in what is going on at board level.Still can not get my head around why Mr Murray is still with the club.
    Past Charlton men still have a big part to play with the future of this club when TJ and MS
    have sold the club on.Be that at The Valley or elsewhere.
  • Options
    Thats just it we are completely in the dark,until the court cases in september if infact it goes to court we could put afew more parts of the jigsaw together.People that were Charlton are elsewhere or have very little say in what is going on at board level.Still can not get my head around why Mr Murray is still with the club.
    Past Charlton men still have a big part to play with the future of this club when TJ and MS

RM still involved whilst he and the previous major shareholders have a dividend expectation on their shares whilst we are a tier 2 club and this increases to a full return of capital expectation upon being promoted to the Prem.

He is there to protect the full interests of all the shareholders with whom he did the considation deal back in the summer of 2010.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After 2 years and then not at all at once
  • Options
    Managed to talk to an "authority" on the situation re the contracts today (sorry I can't reveal whom, and up to you if you believe me or not, lets just talk about what was said)

There is no 'policy', other than to try and agree deals which reflect the reality that salaries outside the Prem. are falling through the floor. The implication of that is that Chris Solly and others are not being ignored, but rather in negotiation. There's a feeling that players and their agents are slow to grasp the new reality. I challenged this in the case of Solly, and it was agreed that he's an asset that ought to be secured - but no offer has come in for him so far this year. I was also told that Yann signed a 3 year contract last year (but this might need to be confirmed). Again no one in for him this year. Evina was cited as a case in point. Wanted twice as much as the club was prepared to offer, then came back a few weeks later with his tail between his legs.If he now steps up and replaces Wiggins, that looks like good business. Sordell is a relatively expensive player, but nowhere near as expensive as Fuller, it seems.
    So that's it. All about brinkmanship on salaries. Not saying I'm relaxed about it, not sure my source is either, but you can see the rationale. At least it seems the worst case - completely potless - is not the reality. For now. And yes, buyers are actively sought, and no, nothing appears to be imminent.
    It was also agreed that the communication from the club to the fans is lamentable, and in part they only have themselves to blame for some of the wilder speculation.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing Prague
  • Options
    Yann's new contract at the end of the League 1 season was announced as two years not three.

It is good to hear that negotiations are underway but that still doesn't mean that deals will be signed.

I'm also sceptical that Evina came back with his tail between his legs. If so why did CP make the statements he did and why did the deal nearly stall. I rate Ceddy but is he "replacing" Wiggins then? What's happenig to Rhoys then? Both their contracts run out at the same time.
  • Options

Yann's new contract at the end of the League 1 season was announced as two years not three.

It is good to hear that negotiations are underway but that still doesn't mean that deals will be signed.

I'm also sceptical that Evina came back with his tail between his legs. If so why did CP make the statements he did and why did the deal nearly stall. I rate Ceddy but is he "replacing" Wiggins then? What's happenig to Rhoys then? Both their contracts run out at the same time.

I was referring purely to Evina's apparently excellent performance on Tuesday. football comment!

• Options

Managed to talk to an "authority" on the situation re the contracts today (sorry I can't reveal whom, and up to you if you believe me or not, lets just talk about what was said)

There is no 'policy', other than to try and agree deals which reflect the reality that salaries outside the Prem. are falling through the floor. The implication of that is that Chris Solly and others are not being ignored, but rather in negotiation. There's a feeling that players and their agents are slow to grasp the new reality. I challenged this in the case of Solly, and it was agreed that he's an asset that ought to be secured - but no offer has come in for him so far this year. I was also told that Yann signed a 3 year contract last year (but this might need to be confirmed). Again no one in for him this year. Evina was cited as a case in point. Wanted twice as much as the club was prepared to offer, then came back a few weeks later with his tail between his legs.If he now steps up and replaces Wiggins, that looks like good business. Sordell is a relatively expensive player, but nowhere near as expensive as Fuller, it seems.
    So that's it. All about brinkmanship on salaries. Not saying I'm relaxed about it, not sure my source is either, but you can see the rationale. At least it seems the worst case - completely potless - is not the reality. For now. And yes, buyers are actively sought, and no, nothing appears to be imminent.
    It was also agreed that the communication from the club to the fans is lamentable, and in part they only have themselves to blame for some of the wilder speculation.

Amen.

Thanks very much for sharing this.

Whether we like it or not, it's reassuring
    that what's happening appears to be rational and more consistent with what might be described as logical speculation than sensationalist scaremongering.

If we can all remember that we might keep our respective blood pressures down and have shorter threads to catch up on!!
  • Options
    Mundell,

So when you like what Prague says it is "logical speculation" but when you don't like what Prague says it is "sensationalist scaremongering".

The reality is that the players whose contracts end in the summer have still to sign new contracts.
  • Options
    Was yanns contract enhanced/extended after the Celtic interest?
  • Options
    The Celtic interest was in the summer after the League 1 championship when Yann got an new and bigger contract that was announced as ending in summer 2014
  • Options

Haven't dared to read the whole thread. Is it my imagination, or is there an air of stagnation about the club at the moment - lacklustre performances on the pitch, the stadium looking not exactly shabby but definitely a bit weather-beaten, even the pitch itself looking merely respectable and certainly not as bright as it should do at the season's opening, and generally an air of tiredness, trepidation even.

Everything is crying out for freshening up, for revitalisation, but presumably that is beyond current owners already locked into a remorseless drain on their finances just to keep things going. The players' contracts situation, the VoTV Valleygate disclosures, and the constant volleys aimed at our leaders, whatever the justification combine to make uncomfortable reading at a time when all involved with the club in any way would expect to stand together in order firstly to survive and then hopefully to prosper.

Over many years the Glikstens were habitually abused for a benign neglect of the club and a highly damaging failure to invest in Charlton after the war, unlike, say, their enterprising approach in the 30s when the stadium received considerable development to accompany the club's great on-field success. Mark Hulyer and his immediate successors will be remembered with little fondness or respect. The regime which took us back to The Valley, followed by the golden Murray/Simons age, stand out as exceptions over the course of our history. Today we have a semi-detached owner who might know everything about Les Bordes but certainly knows nothing about Les Berry.

We can only trust that the efforts to find new investment are successful sooner rather than later, and that this present hiatus will shortly reach a merciful end. Normal service needs to resume asap, but time is getting alarmingly short.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mundell/Henry

I guess you both appreciate that I am reporting, not endorsing. I cannot even guarantee that this is the TJ position. And as Henry implies, even if it is, there is no guarantee that it will work. However at least I now understand what they seem to be doing, before I was completely baffled. Pity it has to come out this way.

The good thing is that it appears likely we will get to Saturday night without the loss of key playing assets. Then the test of whether what I've been told is true, will be what happens with Chris Solly next. We ought to expect a new contract soonish. If it happens, good work. If not, it will all kick off again here, and serve them bloody well right.

• Options
    edited August 2013

Mundell,

So when you like what Prague says it is "logical speculation" but when you don't like what Prague says it is "sensationalist scaremongering".

The reality is that the players whose contracts end in the summer have still to sign new contracts.

I am not aware of anything in Mundell's comment which points to Prague being guilty of "sensationalist scaremongering"! I think this was a generalist term which one can infer applies to a number of posts predicting plague, apocalypse and general visitation by four geezers on horseback!.Why try and put more spin on a situation when various people are trying to get an understanding? It is going to be a much bumpier ride this season and this is probably nothing compared to where things might go?

The reality is that in every season at every club there are players who approach the last year of their contract with a mixture of options and expectations.

From observing the last 12 months we have the benefit of seeing what the board did in terms of signing certain players early, with others being made offers at less generous terms - some accepted and some didn't. And of course some were made no offer at all - I would expect the same thing to happen next summer - anyone challenging that is speculating on the basis of... well actually no factual basis whatsoever!

It is clear that the board are cutting costs and hoping that the Academy will help fill gaps... I will remain consistent and not comment on the squad overall until I have seen a few more games and we see whether the board splashes out on any loan players and by some accounts loan players from the Premier League are not cheap.

Because the owners are looking at a sale, it is dissapointing that they are not considering building on last seasons finish which was the best at the club for six years. As Prague states, the board could be managing comms on this and other areas a lot better...

As GlassHalfFull writes let us hope that investment is found and the club can be steered back onto the upwards trajectory of the last 27 months.

• Options
    Does it explain the contract situation of Chris Powell though ?
  • Options

Flipping heck Guru, I was starting to rest a bit easier and now I've been forced to ponder that.

What about Chris?
  • Options
    Good question :-(

• Options

Mundell,

I am not aware of anything in Mundell's comment which points to Prague being guilty of "sensationalist scaremongering"! I think this was a generalist term which one can infer applies to a number of posts predicting plague, apocalypse and general visitation by four geezers on horseback!.Why try and put more spin on a situation when various people are trying to get an understanding? It is going to be a much bumpier ride this season and this is probably nothing compared to where things might go?

The reality is that in every season at every club there are players who approach the last year of their contract with a mixture of options and expectations.

From observing the last 12 months we have the benefit of seeing what the board did in terms of signing certain players early, with others being made offers at less generous terms - some accepted and some didn't. And of course some were made no offer at all - I would expect the same thing to happen next summer - anyone challenging that is speculating on the basis of... well actually no factual basis whatsoever!

It is clear that the board are cutting costs and hoping that the Academy will help fill gaps... I will remain consistent and not comment on the squad overall until I have seen a few more games and we see whether the board splashes out on any loan players and by some accounts loan players from the Premier League are not cheap.

Because the owners are looking at a sale, it is dissapointing that they are not considering building on last seasons finish which was the best at the club for six years. As Prague states, the board could be managing comms on this and other areas a lot better...

As GlassHalfFull writes let us hope that investment is found and the club can be steered back onto the upwards trajectory of the last 27 months.

LOL. Accusing me of spin annd then spinning the line you'e been sold hook line and sinker for all its worth.

But then you go on to speculate on what is going to happen in the summer before accusing anyone who dares to challenge you as basing it on nothing at all. So OK for you to speculate but no one else.

Mundell used the term "sensationalist scaremongering" about the rest of the thread on which prague has commented frequently, not me.

It is not clear at all what the board are doing other than desperately hoping they can sell the Club at an inflated price.

And where, as SHG asks, does this leave Powell? Maybe the board will offer him less money when his contract runs out as well.
  • Options

Mundell,

I thought Prague's very interesting post was reporting a conversation rather than "speculating", logically or otherwise, or "scaremongering". Please clarify if I've misunderstood.

I was reassured by what Prague said simply because I believe that rational decision making is better than muddled or random and potentially illogical decision making. That doesn't mean it will work.

You don't say.

• Options

Out of 2,252 fans surveyed last May the fans gave a massive approval rating to extending Chris Powell's contract

castrust.org/2013/08/saturday-tnt-back-bg/

• Options
    Come on guys. No need to fight. Let's wait, watch, and learn. First target date is Saturday 2.30, the team sheet. Chris Solly's name needs to be on it.
  • Options
    I do say because you seemed to have ignored that rather important FACT while you were "logically speculating"