Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favorite Old Ground

I don't know if its just me but don't you just love an old school ground? None of this new rubbish that's been built in the last decade. I am talking old school. One of my favourite old skool grounds is Griffin Park. Whats yours? These old grounds will never be replaced, I remember going to the old Victoria park - Stoke. That was another ground which again had loads of character. The heart and sole of stoke that ground was...

Comments

• Options
    I quite liked Filbert Street.

No idea why.
  • Options
    Highbury with the vast terraces on the north bank and the clock end.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I quite liked Filbert Street.

No idea why.

Seconded Len. Close to the pitch and always a proper atmosphere in my experience.
  • Options
    Baseball Ground
  • Options
    Not strictly an old ground but Ewood Park before it was redeveloped. Stadia at it's finest.
  • Options
    I liked the old Manor Ground. It amused me that the stand was built in about five sections all completely different.
  • Options
    Upton Park
  • Options
    Gay Meadow. Was a lovely little ground, near station and town centre
  • Options
    I can still smell the coal fires from the terraced houses at the Prestfield Stadium
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

I don't know if its just me but don't you just love an old school ground? None of this new rubbish that's been built in the last decade. I am talking old school. One of my favourite old skool grounds is Griffin Park. Whats yours? These old grounds will never be replaced, I remember going to the old Victoria park - Stoke. That was another ground which again had loads of character. The heart and sole of stoke that ground was...

The kop behind the goal at Stoke's Victoria Ground was always impressive when full. The large terraces at Leeds Road, the Long Side Turf Moor and the Kippax Maine Road were also magic.

Burnden Park used to make me laugh with the super market built over half the away end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Gay Meadow. Was a lovely little ground, near station and town centre

This
  • Options
    I liked White Hart Lane, when there was standing on the terraces and Old Trafford and Fratton Park and the City Ground.

But not as much as the Valley.
  • Options
    Playing 50 a side football in the car park at Gay meadow....lovely little ground with the little old guy collecting footballs from the river in a little coracle
  • Options
    Elm Park Reading. Only ever stood on the away terracing but I heard it said that the away seats were often covered in bird shit.
  • Options
    Fratton Park & West Ham
  • Options
    I'll second Gay Meadow. Lovely little ground, lovely town.
  • Options
    Good question. My favourites were Highbury, Goodison & The Victoria Ground (cracking atmosphere behind that home goal).

Of the smaller clubs - always had a soft spot for Aldershot's Rec.
  • Options
    Northampton's old ground with just three sides - the fourth side "housed" the county cricket area.
  • Options
    Plough Lane, the pitch was worse than Bostal Heath!
  • Options
    The Manor Ground and THAT alleyway.

Roker Park and The Dell deserve honourable mentions
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Craven Cottage, Maine Road, The Den, Baseball Ground, Hillsborough, St James Park.

Really all of the old grounds before all-seater, were good in their own way (well, maybe not Luton....). As well as terraces, they all had proper floodlight pylons and proper goal-nets, where the ball actually stayed in the goal rather than bouncing all the way back to the half-way line!

• Options
    Roker Park and Filbert Street.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I liked the old Manor Ground. It amused me that the stand was built in about five sections all completely different.

My sentiments entirely, Stig. The Manor Ground was as far from Oxford's dreaming spires as you could get, both physically and spiritually. It was three miles from the city centre, at Headington: down a narrow alley off the street, wedged between terraced houses and gardens. And as Stig says: ramshackle old stands, each different from the rest. I was there on Boxing Day 1980 when we lost 1-0 to end a 15-game unbeaten run in our Division Three promotion season.

• Options
    Maine Road, Highbury and the Baseball ground.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Playing 50 a side football in the car park at Gay meadow....lovely little ground with the little old guy collecting footballs from the river in a little coracle

Yes, a quaint little ground in a beautiful town. But Shropshire can be bitterly cold in winter: I recall freezing my nuts off at a 1-1 draw (Robinson) in November 1983. In December 1981, Shawbury, not far from Shrewsbury, recorded the lowest temperature ever recorded in England: minus 25.2 degrees Centigrade.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Anyone ever go to Salter Gate?
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

Anyone ever go to Salter Gate?

Yes, did that in January 1981, won 1-0 (Hales): a characterful old ground just off the main street. Chesterfield is an interesting town with the famous crooked spire on the parish church.

• Options
    Standing on the Kop at Anfield as a 15 year old is a football memory I'll always smile at.
  • Options
    Hillsbrough and Elland Road
  • Options
    Highbury and Upton Park before the redevelopment