Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favorite Old Ground

124»

Comments

• Options
    this site http://www.footballgroundguide.com/old-grounds-and-stands/ has got loads of great pictures from most of the grounds mentioned here
  • Options
    If you are on Twitter @groundtastic is a good one to follow.

Lots of stuff like this:

• Options
    cafckev said:

Filbert St was a good ground. Always loved the way the stewards had to lay down to stop them getting in the way when a game was being played but would jump at when a goal was scored or half/full time

Didn't jump quick enough when I got on the pitch when Leaburn scored a late equaliser there in the 90's. Got dragged out through the home end whilst being coined and spat on.
  • Options

cafckev said:

Filbert St was a good ground. Always loved the way the stewards had to lay down to stop them getting in the way when a game was being played but would jump at when a goal was scored or half/full time

Didn't jump quick enough when I got on the pitch when Leaburn scored a late equaliser there in the 90's. Got dragged out through the home end whilst being coined and spat on.
    I saw a clip of this game on YouTube you can see two lads on the pitch getting grabbed by stewards, whilst the rest of the away shouted LEABURN! Support looked quality
  • Options

cafckev said:

I saw a clip of this game on YouTube you can see two lads on the pitch getting grabbed by stewards, whilst the rest of the away shouted LEABURN! Support looked quality
    I'll have to look to that!
  • Options
    Brunton Park 1986
  • Options
    Not me in the hat, from memory there were 3 of us on the pitch. It was the week after I'd split up with my ex. Bumped into tavern at eltham station and got hammered in the pub opposite the station (the ship?) won a load of money at the fruit machine and spent it all on shorts. Said to mate at half time tha if w score I'm going on the pitch. When a scored we just looked at each other and went for it.
  • Options

I was lucky to go to most of the old grounds before they were either developed or demolished with their often uncovered terraces. I especially liked Stoke, Boro and Sunderland. When the home team scored it was always bedlam in the large terraces, you really could celebrate a goal better in the old days.

Its much better to say as a lad that you stood on the East Terrace, Gallowgate, Kop, Kippax or Holte End rather than sat in the McDonalds family Stand at some soul-less plastic bowl of a ground with a sponsors name dumped in an industrial park miles from the town centre lending itself to none of the identity or history of the club whatsoever.

Good post, totally agree.

• Options
    I quite like Kenilworth Road that's pretty old skool. They have had a full from grace! remember going there in the old 1st division!