Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favorite Old Ground

Comments

• Options
    Gay Meadow for me too. Fond memories of the away end.

NYA, Baseball Ground OK but easily the worst pitch I have seen along with QPR pre-plastic
  • Options
    used to go to Layer Road a fair bit when I lived in Colchester. Certainly had character, which is more than can be said for the abomination that replaced it
  • Options
    Can I just say what a brilliant thread this is. Even though I haven't been to even a 10th of the grounds mentioned I find it most interesting. Well done to whoever posted it.
  • Options
    Incidentally I quite liked Crawleys old ground ( can't remember the name mind)
  • Options
    edited August 2013

E-cafc said:

Went there in 1981 promotion season, we were both right up at the top challenging and they beat us 3.0 that day. Remember Phil Warman missing a penalty when it was 0.2 and I think Killer hit the post as well, it wasn`t to be our day! We took a fair few up there though and if I remember rightly a lot of the older Charlton lads managed to get in the little side terrace bit with their lot which made it interesting lol. We didn`t have a great record at Millmoor.

Was that 81? I do recall going to that game but thought it was a year or 2 later then that....and agree we did take a fair few up there that day.
    Yes it was the promotion season from Div 3, can`t believe it`s over 30 years ago. We both got promoted in the end, think they were champions and played them up there the next season, not 100% certain but think we took the lead through Killer and then they fought back and won either 2.1 or 4.1. We went up on the soccer special that we used to have in those days.

Rotherham were a good team in those days, think they beat Chelsea 6.0 that season(82-83)

• Options
    McBobbin said:

used to go to Layer Road a fair bit when I lived in Colchester. Certainly had character, which is more than can be said for the abomination that replaced it

Went there in the cup once...can't remember the year (maybe 82/83), we won 1-0 but were very lucky to say the least. I think an OG settled it.

• Options
    E-cafc said:

E-cafc said:

Went there in 1981 promotion season, we were both right up at the top challenging and they beat us 3.0 that day. Remember Phil Warman missing a penalty when it was 0.2 and I think Killer hit the post as well, it wasn`t to be our day! We took a fair few up there though and if I remember rightly a lot of the older Charlton lads managed to get in the little side terrace bit with their lot which made it interesting lol. We didn`t have a great record at Millmoor.

Was that 81? I do recall going to that game but thought it was a year or 2 later then that....and agree we did take a fair few up there that day.
    Yes it was the promotion season from Div 3, can`t believe it`s over 30 years ago. We both got promoted in the end, think they were champions and played them up there the next season, not 100% certain but think we took the lead through Killer and then they fought back and won either 2.1 or 4.1. We went up on the soccer special that we used to have in those days.

Rotherham were a good team in those days, think they beat Chelsea 6.0 that season(82-83)

OK I think I must have gone up there for the 82-83 season and not the one when we went up from the old div 3. I think I'm right in saying it was us and the 3 Yorkshire teams who were at the top of the old div 3 (80-81).....Barnsley, Huddersfield and Rotherham.
  • Options
    Highbury by an absolute country mile.

It had everything. Like The Valley, in amongst the backstreets of terraced houses, then suddenly the smells of the football ground, and its big imposing stands overlooking the houses hits you.

Oozed class with its entrance, marble halls, Chapman bust etc, great architecture of the main stands, atmospheric terraced North Bank, open Clock End, and the pitch tight to the stands.

Modern day football don't hold a patch to when grounds were like this.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yes spot on, we scraped home in 3rd after end of season promotion jitters and got promoted with our win at Carlisle 2.1.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Yes spot on, we scraped home in 3rd after end of season promotion jitters and got promoted with our win at Carlisle 2.1.

To this day I have always detested Rotherham because of that miserable day at their dump - the day they stole our title due to us getting embroiled in a cup run (remember them?). Loved that season and went every game after Barnsley away on 1 October(ish).

Following year we lost 3-1 after Hales put us one up just 10 seconds after hitting the post from a penalty. Penalty was at our end as was Warman's penalty. I can still visualise Warman's miss and the noise as his penalty skidded on the wet muddy surface and thudded into the boardings to the right of the keeper's right hand post!

As you can tell I hold a grudge for a very long time!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Filbert St was a good ground. Always loved the way the stewards had to lay down to stop them getting in the way when a game was being played but would jump at when a goal was scored or half/full time
  • Options
    I watched an interview with Jason Lee. They asked him whats the worst ground you have ever played at? He said Saltergate. Whats the worst Changing rooms? Saltergate. Worst pitch? Saltergate...That place was proper old skool. Respect
  • Options
    Home Park Plymouth for me but then I'm biased as they're my second team (dad was Cornish and always went there when staying with cousins) after that definitely Maine Road.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    MSE7 said:

I can still smell the coal fires burning tyres from the terraced houses at the Prestfield Stadium

Fixed it for you.

• Options
    Always liked Ashton Gate. Old ground that's been modernised. A bit like The Valley.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    imageimageimage

Loved Oakwell on my first visit there, looked something like this.

• Options

imageimageimage

Loved Oakwell on my first visit there, looked something like this.

Blimey, I'm surprised they don't have more games called off, the way the pitch slopes towards the centre :-)
  • Options
    Edith and Belvedere; crap in a special kind of way!
  • Options
    Edith? Lol, meant Erith.
  • Options
    Like going to goodison the fans also bring something special to the ground
    Fond memories of park view when I was a lad !
    If only I knew what lay ahead!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Highbury for me, mainly for the 4-2 but was also lucky to see some European nights there.

Emirates does not compare for atmosphere.
  • Options
    not much of a fan of the sport but Bath's rugby ground looks pretty nice with the church and the old buildings surrounding it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Has to be Highbury for me....I was there when we took the North Bank..but outside of that I liked the ground as good old fashioned ground..never been to the Emirates but looks sterile to me.
  • Options
    I was lucky to go to most of the old grounds before they were either developed or demolished with their often uncovered terraces. I especially liked Stoke, Boro and Sunderland. When the home team scored it was always bedlam in the large terraces, you really could celebrate a goal better in the old days.

Its much better to say as a lad that you stood on the East Terrace, Gallowgate, Kop, Kippax or Holte End rather than sat in the McDonalds family Stand at some soul-less plastic bowl of a ground with a sponsors name dumped in an industrial park miles from the town centre lending itself to none of the identity or history of the club whatsoever.
  • Options
    Highbury ???????????????????????????? i shit it ---------in fact its why they had to move .
  • Options

not much of a fan of the sport but Bath's rugby ground looks pretty nice with the church and the old buildings surrounding it.

Was in Bath last Friday and admired the setting of the rugby ground, just as you say, and right by the River Avon.

• Options

I was lucky to go to most of the old grounds before they were either developed or demolished with their often uncovered terraces. I especially liked Stoke, Boro and Sunderland. When the home team scored it was always bedlam in the large terraces, you really could celebrate a goal better in the old days.

Its much better to say as a lad that you stood on the East Terrace, Gallowgate, Kop, Kippax or Holte End rather than sat in the McDonalds family Stand at some soul-less plastic bowl of a ground with a sponsors name dumped in an industrial park miles from the town centre lending itself to none of the identity or history of the club whatsoever.

Yes!

• Options
    Always had a soft spot for the Manor ground, few great away days there.

Drove past the Dell last week, as you drive past the pub and the turning to the ground you get to the next turning so soon it's amazing to think a football ground could fit between the two.
  • Options
    First ever game was at The Shay, very old school even in the 70's. Also did Millmoor, Saltergate, Baseball, Filbert Street, London Road (Hudds) was a good old ground. Enjoyed Halifax a few years ago. Saltergate was in a very poor state when we went in the cup a couple ago. Very large rust holes in the side of the stand.

I like Grimsby's ground. Small and compact with fans close to pitch. Remember a great Mendonca night up there. 5-2 I think?

Really enjoyed the promotion season as managed to get to 14 away games all over the north. Hope we don't need to go to many of them any time soon!
  • Options

E-cafc said:

E-cafc said:

OK I think I must have gone up there for the 82-83 season and not the one when we went up from the old div 3. I think I'm right in saying it was us and the 3 Yorkshire teams who were at the top of the old div 3 (80-81).....Barnsley, Huddersfield and Rotherham.
    Correct, Huddersfield beat Charlton at the valley near the end of that season, but missed out and finished fourth (no play offs then) - Leeds Road was a fantastic ground, had a huge side terrace (I reckon only the Valley bigger, but Towns was covered in the 50s), a Leitch main stand but a fairly small terrace behind the goal. I do think though the John Smiths is one of the better newish grounds (nearly 20 years old now), and thankfully was built only 200 yards from the old Leeds Road, you could see the progress over the open corner between the away end and the main stand, rather than miles away in an industial estate.

Anothe cracking ground wea the Baseball Ground