Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favorite Old Ground

Comments

• Options
    Definitely Highbury, because of memories of a great 2-2 draw there, Steve Mackenzie getting a great equaliser. Also an unlucky 2-0 cup defeat in the late 60's, with the likes of Charlie Wright and Paul Went!
  • Options
    Baseball Ground, Goodison Park, The Dell.
  • Options
    Goldstone
  • Options
    Goodison park
    Craven cottage
    Hillsborough
    Leeds road
  • Options
    The Goldstone Ground
    The Baseball Ground
    Upton Park
    The Dell
  • Options

MSE7 said:

Anyone ever go to Salter Gate?

Yes, did that in January 1981, won 1-0 (Hales): a characterful old ground just off the main street. Chesterfield is an interesting town with the famous crooked spire on the parish church.

As you probably know I now live in Chesterfield and have witnessed the old ground being bulldozed and a Barratts Housing estate being built on it, very sad. It was a great example of an old style football ground with an unique and at times quite hostile atmostphere.

Chesterfield is a good place to live in with most of the pubs being a 'Real Ale' paradise, with a good train service in to London for our home matches.
  • Options

MSE7 said:

Yes, did that in January 1981, won 1-0 (Hales): a characterful old ground just off the main street. Chesterfield is an interesting town with the famous crooked spire on the parish church.

As you probably know I now live in Chesterfield and have witnessed the old ground being bulldozed and a Barratts Housing estate being built on it, very sad. It was a great example of an old style football ground with an unique and at times quite hostile atmostphere.

Chesterfield is a good place to live in with most of the pubs being a 'Real Ale' paradise, with a good train service in to London for our home matches.
    Didn't know you live in Chesterfield, Willie - lucky man! I recall it as a town full of architectural character - and as you say, a wide range of real ales in the pubs. Was sad to pass through on the train a few years back and see a new road severing the station from the town. Will come and explore again one day....

• Options
    Mmm, I notice for some reason no one has mentioned Ayresome Park... wonder why?

;-)
  • Options
    Some great grounds in this thread. But probably only great in hindsight, many seemed dreadful at the time!

Locally, Erith & Belvedere's ground is another. Now of course the club has upped sticks and paid for the new stand at Welling
  • Options
    Wembley and Clive's hatrick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

MSE7 said:

Asprobably know I now live in Chesterfield and have witnessed the old ground being bulldozed and a Barratts Housing estate being built on it, very sad. It was a great example of an old style football ground with an unique and at times quite hostile atmostphere.

Didn't know you live in Chesterfield, Willie - lucky man! I recall it as a town full of architectural character - and as you say, a wide range of real ales in the pubs. Was sad to pass through on the train a few years back and see a new road severing the station from the town. Will come and explore again one day....

Viewfinder If and when you are up here give us a message near the time. There are two pubs locally to me which are a real ale paradise, we could share a jar or three!.

I moved up here 18 months ago after my wife passed away after a long illness. My Daughter husband and three Grand kids keep me busy.
    The locals are very friendly, lots of banter in the pub between Spirerights, Blades and Wendies and a sole Cockney!
  • Options

MSE7 said:

Asprobably know I now live in Chesterfield and have witnessed the old ground being bulldozed and a Barratts Housing estate being built on it, very sad. It was a great example of an old style football ground with an unique and at times quite hostile atmostphere.

Viewfinder If and when you are up here give us a message near the time. There are two pubs locally to me which are a real ale paradise, we could share a jar or three!.

I moved up here 18 months ago after my wife passed away after a long illness. My Daughter husband and three Grand kids keep me busy.
    The locals are very friendly, lots of banter in the pub between Spirerights, Blades and Wendies and a sole Cockney!
    Sounds like a good life, Willie. Thanks for the offer, and yes, I'll be in touch if I'm heading Chesterfield way.

• Options
    I am not sure about the best, but the worst would easilly be the old Southampton ground with a terrible away end and the strange shaped home end behind the goal.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    White Hart Lane, terraces on the Shelf, Wembley, liked The Dell and Eastville. Didn't like Victoria Ground because we had to walk through home fans to get to coaches
  • Options
    cafckev said:

I am not sure about the best, but the worst would easilly be the old Southampton ground with a terrible away end and the strange shaped home end behind the goal.

Yes, The Dell was pretty basic. But one of the worst has got to be the old Den, access across waste land at the Ilderton Road end, then craning our necks in a corner behind a floodlight pylon and fences. And we always lost!

• Options
    Always liked Upton Park back in the old days as used to go quite a lot with some Hammers mates.
  • Options
    Roker Park was a great old school ground, as said Filbert Street always a cracking atmosphere under the roof next to the home fans. Always liked Victoria Ground, Maine Road, Highfield Road, Leeds Road, Goldstone Ground, Fratton park, The Dell, The old Goodison Park, Upton Park, Griffin Park, Brisbane Road, the old Roots Hall, the old Brammall Lane, Hillsborough, Millmoor, the old Bloomfield Road, Boothferry Park, Eastville, Abbey Stadium(remember the donkeys outside lol), the old Hawthorns, Baseball Ground, The old Meadow Lane was a strange old ground!,

Loads more to mention from over the years, brings back some great memories and some nightmares too from away games!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    red_murph said:

Always liked Upton Park back in the old days as used to go quite a lot with some Hammers mates.

Always liked the closeness of the pitch - you could pat the winger on the back as he was taking a corner. Good memories of Upton Park: Simon Webster playing an absolute blinder, and Jimmy Melrose scoring after nine seconds. But when we lodged there we managed to lose to Cambridge United, and to Bury in the League Cup.

• Options

red_murph said:

Always liked the closeness of the pitch - you could pat the winger on the back as he was taking a corner. Good memories of Upton Park: Simon Webster playing an absolute blinder, and Jimmy Melrose scoring after nine seconds. But when we lodged there we managed to lose to Cambridge United, and to Bury in the League Cup.

Not to forget David Whyte's goal versus Leicester. Loved Webster, proper defender.
  • Options
    Webbo was a proper old school defender, also scored a few crackers for us(Bristol City at Upton Park/Swindon away just a couple)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    red_murph said:

red_murph said:

Not to forget David Whyte's goal versus Leicester. Loved Webster, proper defender.
    Don't think I saw Whyte's goal, but agree with you about Simon Webster: a terrific player. Recall him winning every header going when we were under the cosh in one game at Upton Park - and West Ham bought him from us soon after. Career tragically shortened by injury.

• Options
    The old Wembley and Elm Park.
  • Options
    Just loved that walk from the 53 to the Den,the way their crowd tried to intimidate opposition players and fans alike the only ground for that atmosphere in the country worth a goal a game at least to them.
  • Options
    I'm pleased I got to all of the old Victorian non league grounds before they disappeared.

The Old Champion Hill - Dulwich Hamlet.
    Sandy Lane - Tooting & Mitcham
    Granleigh Road - Leytonstone
    Lynn Road - Ilford
    Green Pond Road - Walthamstow Avenue
    Upper Richmond Road - Kingstonian
    Spotted Dog - Clapton FC

Lots of atmosphere and all had different characteristics.
    I remember watching a game at Leytonstone on a misty night. People waiting for a train on the elevated platform at Leytonstone High Road Station could look down on the football.
  • Options
    Wested Meadow is a Proper Old Skool ground
  • Options

Stig said:

I liked the old Manor Ground. It amused me that the stand was built in about five sections all completely different.

My sentiments entirely, Stig. The Manor Ground was as far from Oxford's dreaming spires as you could get, both physically and spiritually. It was three miles from the city centre, at Headington: down a narrow alley off the street, wedged between terraced houses and gardens. And as Stig says: ramshackle old stands, each different from the rest. I was there on Boxing Day 1980 when we lost 1-0 to end a 15-game unbeaten run in our Division Three promotion season.

Could be describing Rotherhams old ground Millmoor which had a variety of different stands and enclosures down one side. No dreamy spires within ten miles of the place though. And it wasn't great there.

• Options

Stig said:

I liked the old Manor Ground. It amused me that the stand was built in about five sections all completely different.

My sentiments entirely, Stig. The Manor Ground was as far from Oxford's dreaming spires as you could get, both physically and spiritually. It was three miles from the city centre, at Headington: down a narrow alley off the street, wedged between terraced houses and gardens. And as Stig says: ramshackle old stands, each different from the rest. I was there on Boxing Day 1980 when we lost 1-0 to end a 15-game unbeaten run in our Division Three promotion season.

Could be describing Rotherhams old ground Millmoor which had a variety of different stands and enclosures down one side. No dreamy spires within ten miles of the place though. And it wasn't great there.

Yes, and scrapyards on a couple of sides of the ground at Millmoor. You could see old BR diesel locos and London Underground trains piled up above the walls.

• Options
    Went there in 1981 promotion season, we were both right up at the top challenging and they beat us 3.0 that day. Remember Phil Warman missing a penalty when it was 0.2 and I think Killer hit the post as well, it wasn`t to be our day! We took a fair few up there though and if I remember rightly a lot of the older Charlton lads managed to get in the little side terrace bit with their lot which made it interesting lol. We didn`t have a great record at Millmoor.
  • Options
    Agree with most of the above...where are Shrewsbury playing now (if not gay Meadow) ? Also liked the Vetch Field at Swansea.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Went there in 1981 promotion season, we were both right up at the top challenging and they beat us 3.0 that day. Remember Phil Warman missing a penalty when it was 0.2 and I think Killer hit the post as well, it wasn`t to be our day! We took a fair few up there though and if I remember rightly a lot of the older Charlton lads managed to get in the little side terrace bit with their lot which made it interesting lol. We didn`t have a great record at Millmoor.

Was that 81? I do recall going to that game but thought it was a year or 2 later then that....and agree we did take a fair few up there that day.