Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:

are road bikes really that much faster on tarmac?

In one word, yes.

Take into consideration less drag & resistance (thinner tyres and a more aerodynamic position) and a much bigger chainwheel on the front, you're going to go a lot faster.

You'd feel the difference on a MTB going from full knobblies to a semi-slick tyre to a slick.
    That was what eventually got me into road cycling. I started on a MTB first.
  • I have thought about getting road tires, as my commute doesn't exactly require off road traction.

Would I need to change wheel too though as then it starts getting costly!
  • No, you can still get slicks for a MTB. Will make a huge difference to riding knobblies.
    You wait until you try a road bike for the first time. You wont believe the difference it makes.
  • has anyone here done the Dunwich Dynamo? I've agreed to do it in a couple of months, 120 miles through the night from London to the coast somewhere north of Ipswich. I'm not sure I've ever done over 20 miles in one go so this could be interesting. I'm doing the 30 mile option at Ride Chartridge in a couple of weeks and will commute a bit more but basically I'm going to be horribly underprepared
  • Friend of mine just fell off his mountain bike and broke his spine at C5 - not looking good :(

Stay safe out there
  • rina said:

has anyone here done the Dunwich Dynamo? I've agreed to do it in a couple of months, 120 miles through the night from London to the coast somewhere north of Ipswich. I'm not sure I've ever done over 20 miles in one go so this could be interesting. I'm doing the 30 mile option at Ride Chartridge in a couple of weeks and will commute a bit more but basically I'm going to be horribly underprepared

Yeah, did it last year. Horrendous weather - but the ride itself is easy because it's almost flat the entire way.

One thing about the DD you should be aware of - it's almost impossible to get a train back, so you either have to have transport arranged for you and your bike (there are coaches you can book onto) or do what we did and ride back to Ipswich (about 50km)
  • Dazzler21 said:

Not a road cyclist, but an off road mountain biker, are road bikes really that much faster on tarmac?

Just started cycling to work (only about 6 miles) but it means I can exercise without shin splint worries.

Very much faster on a road bike - thinner tyres less contact with the road and probably a lighter frame, you are also able to ride with a lower profile so more aerodynamic....
  • Oakster said:

Friend of mine just fell off his mountain bike and broke his spine at C5 - not looking good :(

Stay safe out there

Oh shit, that's brutal. Hope he's OK :(
  • rina said:

has anyone here done the Dunwich Dynamo? I've agreed to do it in a couple of months, 120 miles through the night from London to the coast somewhere north of Ipswich. I'm not sure I've ever done over 20 miles in one go so this could be interesting. I'm doing the 30 mile option at Ride Chartridge in a couple of weeks and will commute a bit more but basically I'm going to be horribly underprepared

Yeah, did it last year. Horrendous weather - but the ride itself is easy because it's almost flat the entire way.

One thing about the DD you should be aware of - it's almost impossible to get a train back, so you either have to have transport arranged for you and your bike (there are coaches you can book onto) or do what we did and ride back to Ipswich (about 50km)
    I've got a coach booked plus lorry for the bike for £25

Glad to hear it's flat
  • rina said:

I also did it last year, as Leroy said for the distance it is pretty much pan flat, I clocked up 1,300 meters of climbing from my house to the coast which was 200km, and for that length thats a very small amount of climbing.

I wouldn't worried about being underprepared either, obviously training for or cycling generally would help. But you get a huge mix of different types of cyclists doing it on all different types of bikes, some people literally turn up on the day without 'training' for it and do it, you've got all night so there's no rush. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm sure you will to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Late to this but @rina I've heard some horror stories from the Dunwich Dynamo...mostly about people having inadequate lights (it's pitch black, you need something decent, not just a regular 'flasher') causing a few accidents with other cyclists and also about people literally falling asleep/not paying attention to those around them due to tiredness, resulting in accidents... It's also a long time to be in the saddle if you're not used to it...you need to do a bit of bum training! Ride safe and good luck.
  • Was at the Velodrome in Manchester today to see Alex Dowsett take the world hour record. Phenomenal effort - paced it perfectly - ramped it up a huge amount in the last fifteen minutes. Chapeau to anyone who can cycle almost 53 KM in an hour. Ridiculous!
  • Commuting in the rain on a road bike - just take it slow or avoid altogether?
  • jamescafc said:

Commuting in the rain on a road bike - just take it slow or avoid altogether?

Rule 5 and rule 9

• Opinions needed chaps. I came in this morning to work and had to take evasive action to avoid hitting a van which decided to turn right straight into my path. I managed to avoid him, but had to go onto the pavement and hit a bollard which knocked me down. I managed to get contact details for the driver of the van (once i'd managed to calm myself down and not shout too much at him) and also of a witness, alongside grabbing a few photos of the spot. I managed to graze myself, but have come out okay, and the bike has managed to survive albeit apart from a broken cleat and a twisted brake caliper. BUT should this be reported to the police/insurance companies etc? I'm just unsure on what procedure is, and anything I've looked up seems to deal with accidents that have been slightly more "serious" if you like. Many thanks
  • @CAFC Luke My opinion is that yes, report it to the police, especially if you have the van drivers details, as he may have a record of doing this but I'd then leave it at that.. You could try and claim for the cleat/caliper from him but chances are that it's not worth the hassle and - very sorry to say this - that it's likely you'll just have to take it on the chin (as well as the grazed legs..). If there was worse injury then you could claim compensation from his insurance but as you're OK, then I'd leave it for when you really aren't (which unfortunately is also likely to happen at some point, given the stats on commuting/likelihood of an accident...).
    Ride safe sir.
  • It's also a long time to be in the saddle if you're not used to it...you need to do a bit of bum training! Ride safe and good luck.

I just got back in the saddle for the first time in about 18 months this week and it's definitely the bum which is suffering most. I'm surprised that the legs aren't worse, bit maybe having lost 10kg is helping.

• You know what? You might actually need a different saddle after losing that amount of weight. It affects your sit bones a lot more than people realise. If you have the time, try going to a local bike shop and asking to try out some different saddles. They're a lot more varied than they used to be.
  • Alright guys?

I've got a mountain bike atm but I'm gonna buy a hybrid.
    The one I want weighs in at 13.4 kg, is that lighter than a standard mountain bike? Or is it about the same?
  • Or does it even really matter?
    I want a faster, lighter commuting bike. My price range is £200 so that takes out most of the options!
    The one I've seen that looks alright is the Pendleton Drake http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/pendleton-drake-hybrid-bike .
    700cc tyres and the weight I mentioned.

Will it really make any difference time/enjoyment wise?

P.s I'm a small girl, so the fact it has 16" frame is good.
  • Sponsored links:

• EastStand said:

Or does it even really matter?
    I want a faster, lighter commuting bike. My price range is £200 so that takes out most of the options!
    The one I've seen that looks alright is the Pendleton Drake http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/pendleton-drake-hybrid-bike .
    700cc tyres and the weight I mentioned.

Will it really make any difference time/enjoyment wise?

P.s I'm a small girl, so the fact it has 16" frame is good.

Give it a good test ride. If you are use to the gearing range on a mountain bike you might find the gearing range on this bike a bit restrictive. Is your commute completely flat. Also, you might find 700 wheels a bit more cumbersome than the 26 inch wheels on a moutainbike.
  • Also, if your commute is all flat have a look for a second hand Specialized langster single speed bike. They go for between £150/200
  • Not completely flat, but no major hills. Just general slopes. New X into the City. But I will be using it for other trips.
  • edited May 2015
    If you are not going to use a road bike to commute I would stick with a mountain bike so long as it does not have tail suspension and you put smooth tyres on and keep a proper pump at home so you can keep the tyres pumped to 80 psi at all times. A mountain bike is a lot more fun to ride than a hybrid and a lot better when using river, canal and other dedicated cycle paths.
  • Thanks for the tip Leroy, I didn't think of that!
    It's a public holiday here today so I'm off out for a ride!
  • I've finally cashed in my cycle to work voucher (which was restricted to Halfords) and have gone for a hybrid Boardman Pro. I'm picking the bike up tonight and Halfords called today to tell me that whilst doing their checks they noticed some scratches on the frame. They have offered £50 off the price for this (the bike costs £1,000). Is this a reasonable offer do you think?
  • Usually yes. Provided they're just surface scratches and nothing more serious. That's an aluminium bike isn't it? Not a carbon one? Because seemingly inconsequential scratches can weaken a carbon frame if they're in the wrong place

Best thing you can do is take a look at it and, if they aren't bad scratches, I'd go for it
  • Being pedantic, it's not your call. Until you pay everything off and satisfy the rules about the scheme the bike belongs to your employer. Have a word with them if they are nit picking about money stuff and/or terms and conditions.
  • Thanks Leroy. Yeah, it's an aluminium bike.
  • Would be interested to hear your views on the bike. Have just registered for the cycle to work scheme. Think I can select between a few retailers and looking to be spend about £1000. Cycle about 40kms per day so was thinking of going for a road bike.