Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• My son learnt to ride on the Thames Path round the 02...is great round there...just watch out for pedestrians who don't realise that part of it is a cycle path!

At the other end of the scale, I am cycling from just north of Milan to Venice next week (starting Thursday)...5 days in the Alps/Dolomites and I can't bloomin' wait...

Safe cycling!
  • edited June 2015

seth plum said:

Thanks to Plumstead Micky and iainment for the info. Might go to the Thames barrier today and finish the journey, what happens in the Blackwell tunnel area, does the path simply continue riverside, or is it a diversion, and yes it was at Clancy's pub I got lost.
    I admit to owning a Brompton, so my adventures tend to be local and modest, anybody got any other suggestions for other local rides?

I can't quite remember the Blackwall tunnel part, I think there is a pedestrian bridge with ramps over the approach road, then you get into Greenwich proper and past the Pelton Arms, the Cutty Sark and the power station.
    Look up Sustrans and their maps for route ideas. There is a national cycle route south from Greenwich down through Deptford, Lewisham and on to Elmers End and beyond. I'm also sure that you can order cycle maps for free from TFL to give you some more ideas.
    You don't need to use that bridge anymore. The cycle path goes all the way around the O2.
    Spoiler alert! Was going to ride it on Sunday and discover it for myself!

;-)
    Very funny!

When I cycle past the new driving range I can't help feeling that there is absolutely no logic to building a driving range in the middle of one of the prime residential building developments in London. I have come to the conclusion that it is temporary and that within 5 years there will be a sports stadium there. With the new grass and double decker driving bays even now I can imagine a new football stadium.
  • My son learnt to ride on the Thames Path round the 02...is great round there...just watch out for pedestrians who don't realise that part of it is a cycle path!

At the other end of the scale, I am cycling from just north of Milan to Venice next week (starting Thursday)...5 days in the Alps/Dolomites and I can't bloomin' wait...

Safe cycling!

My commute is peppered with peds being told by me 'this is a cycle path'
    Very frustrating at times.
  • edited June 2015
    Yes I get bit annoyed at that but I also get annoyed about the way some cyclist behave on the path as you get towards Greenwich. This part of the path is shared with pedestrians but cyclists should give way at all times to pedestrians. I hate it when I see cyclists speeding along here ringing their bells expecting pedestrians to immediately jump out of their way.
  • Yes I get bit annoyed at that but I also get annoyed about the way some cyclist behave on the path as you get towards Greenwich. This part of the path is shared with pedestrians but cyclists should give way at all times to pedestrians. I hate it when I see cyclists speeding along here ringing their bells expecting pedestrians to immediately jump out of their way.

I agree if it's a shared path then peds have right of way, and I give them that always. My gripe is about designated cycle paths, then I don't give up my right of way without telling them to use the footpath.
  • Sail before steam.
  • Simple equation for cycle paths: If you cycle at more than 12mph, use the road.
  • edited June 2015
    seth plum said:

Thanks to Plumstead Micky and iainment for the info. Might go to the Thames barrier today and finish the journey, what happens in the Blackwell tunnel area, does the path simply continue riverside, or is it a diversion, and yes it was at Clancy's pub I got lost.
    I admit to owning a Brompton, so my adventures tend to be local and modest, anybody got any other suggestions for other local rides?

Nowt wrong with a Brompton, Seth. We've done the London to Brighton on one, (well, one each) and good fun it was too.

Fit nicely in the back of the car, and great to take out with you.
  • Simple equation for cycle paths: If you cycle at more than 12mph, use the road.

Or slow down. I use the greenway and the road alternatives are not appealing.
  • seth plum said:

Nowt wrong with a Brompton, Seth. We've done the London to Brighton on one, (well, one each) and good fun it was too.

Fit nicely in the back of the car, and great to take out with you.
    And if you have a terraced house.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2015

I've recently got into this cycling lark although you bike snobs will disagree it's the same thing. I Boris bike it from Northumberland Avenue to South Wharf Road every day via The Mall, Constitution Hill and Hyde Park. 5k each way. Love that when i get into work at 7.45am I've already done a mini work out. pb is 22 mins to work and 19 mins from work. Much quicker and more enjoyable than the tube. And I get a seat. sort of.

I do this a lot, boris bike from notting hill gate to the post office tower. 5k each way on such a heavy bike is a great workout and it saves a decent amount of cash by rarely using the tube in zone 1
  • iainment said:

Simple equation for cycle paths: If you cycle at more than 12mph, use the road.

Or slow down. I use the greenway and the road alternatives are not appealing.
    Yep. Either one works. Slow down to less than 12mph or cycle on the road.
  • 205 miles on Saturday - starting at Sheppey and ending in Burnham on Sea. Sheppey is actually quite nice at 4.30am

Anybody who likes to cycle absolutely has to do the Cheddar Gorge descent. I think it's the most fun I've ever had on a bike
  • Just bought a Garmin Edge 200 - cheapest Garmin I could find and very basic but does the job and quite happy for £70.

Now to find some decent clothing - had a look on Evans and had an immediate heart attack.

Anyone planning to go and see some of the Tour this year?
  • jamescafc said:

Just bought a Garmin Edge 200 - cheapest Garmin I could find and very basic but does the job and quite happy for £70.

Now to find some decent clothing - had a look on Evans and had an immediate heart attack.

I have the edge 200. Brilliant bit of kit.
    Cheap cycle clothing - Aldi, Lidl, decathlon, wiggle and sports direct. The main thing you must get is padded shorts or undershorts and padded gloves.
  • iainment said:

jamescafc said:

Just bought a Garmin Edge 200 - cheapest Garmin I could find and very basic but does the job and quite happy for £70.

Cheap cycle clothing - Aldi, Lidl, decathlon, wiggle and sports direct. The main thing you must get is padded shorts or undershorts and padded gloves.
    Aldi's next lot of cycling gear comes in on Sunday, it's always pretty decent

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sun-28-june/
  • don't scrimp on the cycling shorts - it's not worth the chafing! Reasonably priced all round brand is dhb, exclusive (i.e.' made by') www.wiggle.co.uk
  • +1 for dhb bib shorts. Got 5 pairs hanging up in the wardrobe and got me through thousands of miles in the last 5-6 years.
  • iainment said:

jamescafc said:

Only frustrating thing so far is that I haven't find a way to stop the clock moving when I'm stationary at lights. This reduces my average pace a lot, especially when cycling in town.
  • jamescafc said:

iainment said:

jamescafc said:

Only frustrating thing so far is that I haven't find a way to stop the clock moving when I'm stationary at lights. This reduces my average pace a lot, especially when cycling in town.
    that's because your average is slower... does it not have a ride pause button?
  • Sponsored links:

• There is an auto pause on the 200

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUnwnahUpJc
  • Rothko said:

There is an auto pause on the 200

Yup. Set it to sonething like 5km/h - cos it will take a few seconds for the autopause to kick in.
  • Rothko said:

There is an auto pause on the 200

Thanks - I was relying on strava to show actual moving averages.
  • 205 miles on Saturday - starting at Sheppey and ending in Burnham on Sea. Sheppey is actually quite nice at 4.30am

Anybody who likes to cycle absolutely has to do the Cheddar Gorge descent. I think it's the most fun I've ever had on a bike

205 miles in one day. Chapeau, I managed 80 on Sunday as my last long cycle before I do the Ring of Kerry mass ride on 4 July.
  • I really must get back on my bike again one day.

Yeah, well done Leroy. My longest ever ride was only 137.5 miles. I have to admit, I have no wish to ever spend that amount of time in the saddle ever again lol.
  • Furthest I've done so far is 25 miles, aside from my daily commute from Danson Park to CW, taking in Botsom Hill in Framingham and that was tough on the legs so god knows how you guys do 80+.

Current average pace is around 16.5mph so aiming to push that up to 19-20 and then start increasing social rides to 30-35 miles.
  • Done London to Brighton on Sunday longest ride I've done and it killed me but I loved it
  • Anyone know a decent club near bexleyheath and what standard you have to be to join
  • Well-done mate how's the nads
  • fine