Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• edited July 2015
    @Dazzler21 - I agree with CC. The main difference between the road bike and a MTB is the gearing. If you get a road bike with a compact chain set, you'll get a 50/34 combo, ie a 50 tooth big chain ring and a 34 tooth small ring. The big ring on a MTB is much smaller than a road bike. Thats where the speed really comes from. If you pedal a 90rpm on a 50 tooth chain ring and do the same on a 34, you'll cover a lot further distance in the same amount of time etc. Changing from knobblies to a semi slick or slick MTB tyre will help but nowhere near what you would do if you went to a road bike.
  • Orbea bikes are great. Mate had one and rode it into the ground - he had nothing but good things to say about it. Last time I was in Barcelona my hotel was right opposite an Orbea shop - they do some lovely custom builds. The new Orca is gorgeous - the Super Record version looks the nuts, but I could do without the neon pink detailing :smiley:

Replace those Visions with a decent wheelset and that's an excellent value bike at 1100 quid
  • Right I've decided to stop pussying around and get a road bike. Wanted a British make and still under my £500 limit. I know this cuts out anything super fancy but I found this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-r40-sora-2015/

And I can get it through cycle to work scheme so I'm set on it. Never ridden a road bike, and the one time I tried the frame was far too big for me (I'm 5'4 with short legs, stupid genetics) so I'm a bit nervous but with practice I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Can't wait to train up and head out on proper rides.
  • Good man. What size frame did you go for, BTW? I'm 5'9 and ride a 54 - I'd reckon you'll be a 51 at 5'4.

My mate had real trouble finding a frame that fit him properly - he's 5'5 and ended up with a 50 - but all frames are different, so one frame in a size 50 might end up markedly different to another one.
  • Good man. What size frame did you go for, BTW? I'm 5'9 and ride a 54 - I'd reckon you'll be a 51 at 5'4.

My mate had real trouble finding a frame that fit him properly - he's 5'5 and ended up with a 50 - but all frames are different, so one frame in a size 50 might end up markedly different to another one.

I think East Stand is a girl...
  • I am a girl :)

I got 52 as it was the smallest they had. I can lower the seat right down if I have to.

Will take a while for it all to come through with the voucher system, but I'm really excited. Fed up of peddling away and watching road bikes pass me with less effort.
  • LenGlover said:

Good man. What size frame did you go for, BTW? I'm 5'9 and ride a 54 - I'd reckon you'll be a 51 at 5'4.

Hahaha - assumption is the mother of all f***-ups...

That said, the same principle applies - frames are various geometries so just getting sized based on height isn't ideal. There is a much better selection of frames now designed specifically for women - like the Specialized Amira - that take into account the different (ahem) 'layout' of women's bodies. Not sure that Eastway is a women's frame though.
  • LenGlover said:

Good man. What size frame did you go for, BTW? I'm 5'9 and ride a 54 - I'd reckon you'll be a 51 at 5'4.

Hahaha - assumption is the mother of all f***-ups...

That said, the same principle applies - frames are various geometries so just getting sized based on height isn't ideal. There is a much better selection of frames now designed specifically for women - like the Specialized Amira - that take into account the different (ahem) 'layout' of women's bodies. Not sure that Eastway is a women's frame though.
    I think the issue with that is women generally have longer legs and shorter backs.I'm the opposite as it seems I was built wrong in the baby shop.

Otherwise apart from the saddle shape I can't see what else is too different!
  • That's the general idea - shorter torsos mean extended reach is needed for men's frames. The geometry of the frame is therefore markedly different. There are also things like smaller hands (so smaller reach on shifters/brake levers) to take into consideration - this can affect bar length, width etc

Also, you should be very wary of ever riding a bike that you need to lower the saddle too much on to feel comfortable. Low saddle positions are notorious for causing chronic knee problems in cyclists. I found this to be true to my cost this year after not raising my saddle to the proper height in Mallorca when I rebuilt the bike out of the bike box - rode 100km up mountains with it 3cm too low and totally screwed my knee up
  • Sponsored links:

• Also, you should be very wary of ever riding a bike that you need to lower the saddle too much on to feel comfortable. Low saddle positions are notorious for causing chronic knee problems in cyclists. I found this to be true to my cost this year after not raising my saddle to the proper height in Mallorca when I rebuilt the bike out of the bike box - rode 100km up mountains with it 3cm too low and totally screwed my knee up

This all day long. My saddle was too low and fcuked up my right knee and was the main cause of tendonitis and resulted in me missing the inaugral RideLondon100.
    May be worth a proper bike fit or if you dont want to stretch to that, there's a bike fit app you can get on iPhone which is quite good to check stuff like that.

• @Dazzler 21 - you will go much faster on a road bike...18/19 mph is a 'cruising'/commuting speed on a road bike (depending how hard you pedal of course!)....new tyres on an MTB will only add the 1 or 2 mph you talk about I reckon...

18/19mph! Average! I feel so humbled. I average about 13mph on my commute. Although my bike is not a true road bike but what Specialized call a gravel bike - a Doverge. I seem to pass most other cyclists on my way so perhaps I'm just on a slow route. And I'm older than nearly all the other cyclists on my route.
  • So can I tap mine and @RedArmySE7 fellow cyclists for some donations? For Ride London and the Lymphoma Association?

Link is here, we're nearly at half way

http://m.virginmoneygiving.com/mt/uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=sachaandjames100&un_jtt_redirect
  • Anyone else using the Strava app?

I've never used anything like it before, its really useful getting info on speed, elevation, calories burned and distance.
    Only just got it but will use it as I get more into cycling.
  • EastStand said:

Anyone else using the Strava app?

I've never used anything like it before, its really useful getting info on speed, elevation, calories burned and distance.
    Only just got it but will use it as I get more into cycling.

I use strava, it's brilliant as a log of what you've done and as a motivator to get things done if you're training for something.
  • Strava is great. There's a Charlton Life club on there for all us pathetic MAMILs - join up!

Agree about the motivational aspect of it - I often ride the same routes and it's good to see where I've improved over time, or where I slack off and need a bit of a gee-up (strangely oftn after climbs as opposed to during them, when I guess I recover and coast for a bit)
  • Strava is great. There's a Charlton Life club on there for all us pathetic MAMILs - join up!

Agree about the motivational aspect of it - I often ride the same routes and it's good to see where I've improved over time, or where I slack off and need a bit of a gee-up (strangely oftn after climbs as opposed to during them, when I guess I recover and coast for a bit)

Sure, whats it called?

Don't judge me though, I've only just started trying to cycle properly. And I'm still on my 100 tonne MTB.
  • EastStand said:

Strava is great. There's a Charlton Life club on there for all us pathetic MAMILs - join up!

Sure, whats it called?

Don't judge me though, I've only just started trying to cycle properly. And I'm still on my 100 tonne MTB.
    Doesnt matter in the slightest. Its more than what the couch potato is doing. Well done for getting out there.

I think Strava is actually more helpful than Garmin Connect tbh in the way you can see how quickly you're covering segments. Granted I'm using it more for running these days but still extremely helpful. The matched runs feature is bloody genius. So you can see a trend developing of how you're improving (or not) over time over the same run each time.

• Sweet. Signed up.

I think seeing how much better other people are doing will encourage me.
  • EastStand said:

Sweet. Signed up.

I think seeing how much better other people are doing will encourage me.

I remember looking at segments when I first got a bike. I was way off some of the times being set.

It's surprising how quickly you find yourself creeping up the leaderboards though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Strava segments should be taken with a pinch of salt. A lot of the fastest times are set with heavy wind assistance or in a fast group. There's also that weirdest of cycling character - the 'segment hunter' who will literally find local segments and ride them over and over to get or keep the kom.

I use them to gauge performance over time, or for bragging rights over mates, but i don't take them remotely seriously. It's also a bit soul destroying to take a kom on a nice long segment with 1200 other riders, only to receive an email a few weeks later and log on to see a pro (Taylor Phinney) haa smashed it out of sight on a training run
  • Have started to use Garmin Connect but agree with JohnBoyUK that Strava is slightly better. Is there a way to sync Strava to your Garmin?
  • Yep. Garmin Connect will automatically sync with Strava. Can't remember exactly where to set it up but it shouldn't be too difficult to locate
  • jamescafc said:

Have started to use Garmin Connect but agree with JohnBoyUK that Strava is slightly better. Is there a way to sync Strava to your Garmin?

Try this..

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/48729094-Uploading-to-Strava-from-a-Garmin-device
  • Right I've got a target now.
    Gonna do Bristol to Weston-super-Mare beginning of September with a mate.

Great excuse for 2 days at the seaside :)
  • So is it worth getting a Garmin Edge 200 or just using Strava on my IPhone only problem is it seems to cane the battery.
  • fatrob said:

So is it worth getting a Garmin Edge 200 or just using Strava on my IPhone only problem is it seems to cane the battery.

I've used a Garmin Edge for two years and its absolutely fine for what I want/need.

I appear to be a bit of an exception to the rule in as much as I don't really like Strava. No particular reason.
  • EastStand said:

Right I've got a target now.
    Gonna do Bristol to Weston-super-Mare beginning of September with a mate.

Great excuse for 2 days at the seaside :)

Have you been to Bristol (or Weston-super-Mare for that matter)?

Take your bike locks and pepper spray... :smiley:
  • I went to watch the Red Hook Criterium on Saturday. Have never seen so many fixed-gear bikes, nor tattoos. Lovely weather, and a big crowd. Meantime beer for sale at £5 a pint. Boo to that. Did anyone else attend?
  • I saw some of the qualifying in the afternoon. Quite enjoyed it and will time it better if its on again next year.

Saw a big pile up on the final corner as well which would have hurt the 4 riders who crashed into the bails and then into each other.

Had a good feel about the event as well and a couple of pints of pale ale was very welcome.