Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• So people are aware they also do sizes XXL 44-46, XXXL 46-48, XXXXL 48-50.
  • I might be back in then!
  • If it helps get it out of the starting blocks then I would buy a shirt, even though I have more kit then I can ever possibly use now...like the idea of something red for city riding (usually wear one of a few red rapha tops..)

Re: strava app on mobile vs Garmin, a few of the blokes I was in Italy with used the app on their phone and all of them apparently completed up to 1000m of climbing more each day than the rest of us using a Garmin, even tho we each climbed the same mountains...so there may be accuracy issues..

Strava ignores any altitude data from a phone and uses it's own measurements. However, it will use the altitude from a Garmin etc.

Many articles on the web about this.

The most in-depth one I found is here http://regex.info/blog/2015-05-09/2568
  • Have got the design back from Milltag and have contacted the Club for their i.p approval.
  • So people are aware they also do sizes XXL 44-46, XXXL 46-48, XXXXL 48-50.

I might well be back in as well. Seemed to only go up to 42-44 on the link posted earlier.
  • I told the guy at Milltag, as I saw the same. Superb service from these guys, gave em the info and got the design back within 4 hours.
  • Well played falconwood.

I can't add the group on Strava. Do I need to be a premium member? I am searching via the Find Friends search facility but no luck.
  • edited July 2015
    @jamescafc and anyone else who is looking for the strava group: https://www.strava.com/clubs/charltonlife
  • I am riding the London to Southend competition on Sunday. Normally I ride with just orange squash in my water bottle. Never ridden this far before so can anyone recommend a decent energy drink or foods to carry on board for some quick energy bursts.
  • @jamescafc if I was you, I would stick to what you know and keep with the orange juice... If you have two water bottles, then you might want to put a rehydration tab ('nuun' are good, or 'zero'..) in the second (I would recommend two water bottles if you only have one, unless there are drinks stops?).. As for energy, it's all down to how your stomach copes with different foods but I wouldn't go experimenting now.. Have a flapjack/trek powerbar/similar or two in your pocket, plus maybe a couple of small packets of haribo/jelly babies. You could buy a single gel (I like the Torque ones) but I wouldn't recommend going over board on those as they can cause an upset stomach, which you really don't want mid-ride... Have fun and ride safe.
  • Sponsored links:

• @jamescafc if I was you, I would stick to what you know and keep with the orange juice... If you have two water bottles, then you might want to put a rehydration tab ('nuun' are good, or 'zero'..) in the second (I would recommend two water bottles if you only have one, unless there are drinks stops?).. As for energy, it's all down to how your stomach copes with different foods but I wouldn't go experimenting now.. Have a flapjack/trek powerbar/similar or two in your pocket, plus maybe a couple of small packets of haribo/jelly babies. You could buy a single gel (I like the Torque ones) but I wouldn't recommend going over board on those as they can cause an upset stomach, which you really don't want mid-ride... Have fun and ride safe.

Yeah, dont try gels without practice. Trust me, I speak from experience.

Flapjacks are brilliant for cycling. Banana's are also good.

Drink-wise, when you start cycling longer distances, try High 5 4:1. Its like rocket fuel but because it contains protein, you need to be careful with your stomach again. I agree with CC, stick with what you're used to for the time being.

The BHF London to Southend ride was my first ever 50 miler about 6 years ago now. Done it on a MTB. Really enjoyed it. Its reasonably flat too. A couple of lumps but nothing to worry about. You'll love it.

• jamescafc said:

I am riding the London to Southend competition on Sunday. Normally I ride with just orange squash in my water bottle. Never ridden this far before so can anyone recommend a decent energy drink or foods to carry on board for some quick energy bursts.

James, there is an excellent article in last weeks cycling Weekly (9 July) all about nutrition and hydration and how to approach it. Obviously you, (or anyone else on here) would need to adapt it to suit your circumstances.

I doubt you'll be needing 7000 calories to reach Southend ;-)

• JohnBoyUK said:

@jamescafc if I was you, I would stick to what you know and keep with the orange juice... If you have two water bottles, then you might want to put a rehydration tab ('nuun' are good, or 'zero'..) in the second (I would recommend two water bottles if you only have one, unless there are drinks stops?).. As for energy, it's all down to how your stomach copes with different foods but I wouldn't go experimenting now.. Have a flapjack/trek powerbar/similar or two in your pocket, plus maybe a couple of small packets of haribo/jelly babies. You could buy a single gel (I like the Torque ones) but I wouldn't recommend going over board on those as they can cause an upset stomach, which you really don't want mid-ride... Have fun and ride safe.

Drink-wise, when you start cycling longer distances, try High 5 4:1. Its like rocket fuel but because it contains protein, you need to be careful with your stomach again. I agree with CC, stick with what you're used to for the time being.

The BHF London to Southend ride was my first ever 50 miler about 6 years ago now. Done it on a MTB. Really enjoyed it. Its reasonably flat too. A couple of lumps but nothing to worry about. You'll love it.

Intestinal transaction on the bike JB?

• JohnBoyUK said:

@jamescafc if I was you, I would stick to what you know and keep with the orange juice... If you have two water bottles, then you might want to put a rehydration tab ('nuun' are good, or 'zero'..) in the second (I would recommend two water bottles if you only have one, unless there are drinks stops?).. As for energy, it's all down to how your stomach copes with different foods but I wouldn't go experimenting now.. Have a flapjack/trek powerbar/similar or two in your pocket, plus maybe a couple of small packets of haribo/jelly babies. You could buy a single gel (I like the Torque ones) but I wouldn't recommend going over board on those as they can cause an upset stomach, which you really don't want mid-ride... Have fun and ride safe.

Intestinal transaction on the bike JB?

My first ever sportive. Down at the New Forest. 85 miles or something like that. Had 2 gels after 60 miles. My stomach let go after 62 miles and literally had to remain on the saddle for the next 20 odd miles for fear of having an 'incident'. Rode straight to the finish line and into the building for the toilets. Remember the scene in the film Dumb & Dumber? Was like that re-enacted. Horrible. Am prone to a dicky tummy on gels unfortunately. Not ideal for a marathon runner, is it? lol.

• Yay! Finally got the new bike.

If anyone is thinking of ordering off Wiggle BEWARE. They use these cowboys as delivery on large items: http://ow.ly/PQexG
    Check the google reviews on them, they are a nightmare. My bike was supposed to come friday, took the day off work. Waited until 11 am and got a call saying the driver came by and I "wasn't in". I was 1 of 3 people in the house all day. Lying sh*ts.

Anyway, new bike. Lovely. Did 30 mph without breaking a sweat. Completely different feel to my old MTB. It'll take me some getting used to!

Only one problem - seat height. I'm fine at a stop, can just about reach the ground, have to lean the bike (but I'm used to that, not a problem). I've lowered the saddle as much as the post allows but there is still about a half to a full inch I'd like off. I'd like to be able to have kids one day!

I could take it to the local bike shop tomorrow, they said they are happy to saw an inch off. Is this ok? Or should I buy a new, shorter post?

Cheers guys.
  • edited July 2015
    Neighbor has an Orbea road bike he is selling for £250 with carbon fibre forks and clip in shoe thingys.... Worth it?
    I've taken it out for a spin and it's a good size for me.
  • @EastStand do you mean saw some from the seat post, so that it can fit further down into the seat tube on your bike, or do you mean take something off the bike itself? I am presuming the former, in which case, yes, is fine to do BUT are you sure you're on the right bike in the first place? Can you/should you return it (sh!tty delivery company or not) amd get one that fits in the first place?

@Dazzler 21 - no idea - suggest you get the model name/year and do a google search to see how much it is new and then go from there...
  • edited July 2015

@EastStand do you mean saw some from the seat post, so that it can fit further down into the seat tube on your bike, or do you mean take something off the bike itself? I am presuming the former, in which case, yes, is fine to do BUT are you sure you're on the right bike in the first place? Can you/should you return it (sh!tty delivery company or not) amd get one that fits in the first place?

@Dazzler 21 - no idea - suggest you get the model name/year and do a google search to see how much it is new and then go from there...

Yeah its fine, its pretty much as small as they go. The rest is a good fit its just the seat post. Its 350 when I need a 250.
    Had it chopped this morning and it is much, much better. Feels completely different from the MTB.

Also had my first commuter crash today :)
    On the outside of traffic on Tooley St behind some bint going at 4 mph when she decides to cut between the bumpers of 2 taxis without warning. My front wheel goes into the back of hers and I go over on my side.

Taxi driver has a go because I could've scratched his paint, bint has a go as I was "too close". Yes, too close at rush hour in London. Maybe, YOU SHOULD'VE INDICATED YOU STUPID C*NT.

But its, fine. Not a scratch on me or the bike, just annoyed at the stupidity of people.
  • @EastStand - what time was that? I commute along Tooley St every morning and it is a nightmare..was actually going to post something about the number of cyclist commuters who don't look where they are going, pull out when they want, don't signal (or if they do, they give a flick of a little finger, which I'm meant to notice..).. I genuinely think that the biggest threat to cyclists is other cyclists in the morning....I have several close encounters every day... What bike did you buy in the end an dam very glad that the bike shop sorted it...
  • Yeah I know, its a nightmare that street! Taxis, tour busses and nutcase cyclists!

It was around 9:30. Just couldn't believe she didn't think she'd done anything wrong. I apologised for going into her and said "you didn't indicate, I didn't know you were turning" and she came out with "you should know people make those decisions". No sh*t but they normally let others know when they do! I stick my whole arm out and wave it for a good 5 seconds at least. Geez.

Anyway, ended up with the Eastway R.40. Its an alloy but really light, 9.4 kg for the medium. Mines XS so I don't know the exact weight. Just what I wanted, drop handle, a good amount of gears and a old school finish. I got the Sora group set instead of the Sram so that took the price down to my level :)

Are you on the CL Strava Charlie? I've been beaten on a few of my commuting segments by someone. Not for long though... ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• v

I genuinely think that the biggest threat to cyclists is other cyclists in the morning....

That and Prius drivers. I started counting recently and had 7 straight encounters with a prius in central London before another type of vehicle caused me a problem
  • I'll see your Prius and raise you Addison Lee drivers!
  • 2 of the 7 were addison lee priuses (is that the plural)

Can't wait for them to lose their congestion zone exemption
  • Why am I not surprised?!?!?!?
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I'll see your Prius and raise you Addison Lee drivers!

L drivers on mopeds.
    Its like they come into the bus lane to TRY to take you out.
  • EastStand said:

JohnBoyUK said:

L drivers on mopeds.
    but on a more serious note..
    give skip and tipper lorries a lot of respect. Never get up their inside at lights.

They are driven by strange men.
  • EastStand said:

JohnBoyUK said:

L drivers on mopeds.
    give skip and tipper lorries a lot of respect. Never get up their inside at lights.

Oh I know. Just stay behind them all the way, even at a stop.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Addison Lee don't employ drivers, they employ zombies
  • EastStand said:

JohnBoyUK said:

L drivers on mopeds.

This

In fact, just this morning I almost witnessed a statistic. I was in a 2 up sprint down Chelsea Embankment with a rapid guy on a lovely looking Canyon - neck and neck up to Chelsea Bridge then saw a tipper truck ahead coming up to Chelsea Bridge. My spidey senses tingled - even though there was a car's worth of room on the inside, so I backed off - Canyonman didn't (presumably too proud to lose the sprint) and zipped through... sure enough, less than a second later the truck turned sharp left, straight across the lane, without indicating and without looking. Literally a second earlier and the bloke was pancaked. Tipper truck drivers are almost universally imbeciles - though Jihaddison Lee rival them in sheer arseholery, but you're more likeky to survive a crash with one of them than you are with a ten ton tipper truck driven by an illiterate maniac
  • Just put my name down to do London to Paris next April just wondering if anyone has done it also is it flat or hilly the other side of the channel