Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• I'm gonna stick to basic pedals for now, I'm having to adjust enough as it is!
  • I'm ok getting out of them, but do struggle to clip in straight away, which worries me a bit as I tend to look down to find them and end up flailing about across the road!
  • I can't get on with them, especially on the commute, but I have to say there's nothing more satisfying than the click when they engage... until you reach the next set of lights.

• edited July 2015
    Got caught out with the clips in once when on a ride in Wales.
    Was a frosty day on a big old road. Dog came out of nowhere right into my path with no time to react.
    Bosh.
  • This evening rule 9 confirmed that I am a badass. It's biblical out there
  • Sorry to be a pain for someone who is buying cycle shoes for the first time is there any difference between spd and spa sl is their an easier one to use
  • There is a difference. SPD are smaller and enable you to clip in both sides. SPD-SL are larger and only engage when the pedals are oriented face up. In reality, this doesn't really make a big difference, but it might be easier to start off with SPD if you're not that confident as picking up the knack of kicking the pedals round takes marginally longer

I started on SPD-SL and it took me less than a couple of rides to get used to them.
  • I am changing to clipless imminently. I was given a voucher for a bike shop and got shimano spd pedals, pd-m520 actually. And then got some cheap but highly rated shoes from decathlon.
    So this weekend I'll change them.
    I'm hoping that having used toe clips for some years I'll have an awareness that you wouldn't have from flat pedals. Which will minimise the toppling over.
    Having said that I've had a couple of falls where my feet got caught in my toe straps.
  • Have my 2013 Cube Peloton Pro available for sale if anyone is after a decent entry level road bike.

Few little upgrades, plus I'll throw in the Garmin Cadence and Speed monitors. In pretty decent nick, and looking for £350 for it. If you're interested or want to know more, send me a message
  • iainment said:

I am changing to clipless imminently. I was given a voucher for a bike shop and got shimano spd pedals, pd-m520 actually. And then got some cheap but highly rated shoes from decathlon.
    So this weekend I'll change them.
    I'm hoping that having used toe clips for some years I'll have an awareness that you wouldn't have from flat pedals. Which will minimise the toppling over.
    Having said that I've had a couple of falls where my feet got caught in my toe straps.

We'll obviously need a complete description of the first couple of falls :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• with spd sl being larger they work better as a flat pedal when you want to ride in normal shoes/trainers. you still need to have them the right way up though
  • rina said:

with spd sl being larger they work better as a flat pedal when you want to ride in normal shoes/trainers. you still need to have them the right way up though

Aye - like when you leave your Venge at work and decide to ride it to Waterloo at 11.00 at night with no lights, no helmet, drunk and wearing jeans & brogues...
  • Rothko said:

Have my 2013 Cube Peloton Pro available for sale if anyone is after a decent entry level road bike.

Few little upgrades, plus I'll throw in the Garmin Cadence and Speed monitors. In pretty decent nick, and looking for £350 for it. If you're interested or want to know more, send me a message

Size?

• Any news on the CL tops
  • 56 cm frame
  • Q - what do you guys use to clean your bikes?
  • Soapy water and a dry cloth. Wet Ride (or Dry Ride) lube.
  • The cycle cleaner from poundland. Not sure what it's called.
    Works a treat
  • Reading all this is putting me in 2 minds whether i made the right decision to put grifter seat and handle bars on a Raleigh chopper.
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

jamescafc said:

Just signed up for the london duathlon at Richmond park. 10k run, 44k ride, 5k run. Anyone else done this before?

Good luck with that. I havent done a tri or a duathlon but I've done a good few brick sessions, from bike to run and vice-verca. I just cant describe how my legs feel when I start running after just getting off the bike. Its a bit like you look down, see that the legs are moving but you cant feel them. Its bloody hilarious. Have lost my balance a good few times and fell over, just as if like I was drunk. Not so bad from run to bike but bike to run is a killer for me lol.

So I only ended up riding about 25km on Saturday morning due to the wind and rain. This was before my local Parkrun which ends up being around 9km once I've run there and back. Didn't feel too bad afterwards. Woke up this morning though and could barely walk down the stairs. The combination of riding and running must not be good for the legs!
  • jamescafc said:

Q - what do you guys use to clean your bikes?

My kids
  • jamescafc said:

JohnBoyUK said:

jamescafc said:

Just signed up for the london duathlon at Richmond park. 10k run, 44k ride, 5k run. Anyone else done this before?

Good luck with that. I havent done a tri or a duathlon but I've done a good few brick sessions, from bike to run and vice-verca. I just cant describe how my legs feel when I start running after just getting off the bike. Its a bit like you look down, see that the legs are moving but you cant feel them. Its bloody hilarious. Have lost my balance a good few times and fell over, just as if like I was drunk. Not so bad from run to bike but bike to run is a killer for me lol.

So I only ended up riding about 25km on Saturday morning due to the wind and rain. This was before my local Parkrun which ends up being around 9km once I've run there and back. Didn't feel too bad afterwards. Woke up this morning though and could barely walk down the stairs. The combination of riding and running must not be good for the legs!
    Quite the opposite, it's very, very good for the legs
  • jamescafc said:

JohnBoyUK said:

jamescafc said:

Rule 42
  • Leroy, Rule 1.
    RULE #1 || Disobey The Rules
  • Ha ha this list is brilliant.

RULE #1 || Disobey The Rules.
    RULE #2 || Don’t use anybody else as your example. Go your own way and knowingly flout The Rules.

RULE #3 || Uninitiate the initiated. Lead them astray.

RULE #4 || Forget the bike. It’s all about the ride. Anyone who says otherwise is obviously not a cyclist.

RULE #5 || Harden The Fuck Up and stop living your life by rules.

RULE #6 || Use your mind and never follow. Lead. You are not a sheep.

RULE #7 || Tan lines look ridiculous and mark only your self-neglect. Your skin is an organ just like your lungs, respect it.

RULE #8 || Saddles, bars, and tires can be any colour you wish. Valid options are any that make you feel good.

RULE #9 || If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are either unlucky or an idiot. Don’t be a member of that special club of people who feel smug for enduring unpleasantness.

“Any fool can make a rule and any fool will mind it”
    Henry David Thoreau

RULE #10 || It gets easier if you go slower.

RULE #11 || Family comes first, not the bike. Unless you enjoy microwave meals for one. And sex with your seat post.

RULE #12 || The correct number of bikes to own is L-1, where L is the number of legs you own. The minimum number of bikes one should own is one. Obviously.

RULE #13 || If you draw race number 13, remember you don’t believe in superstition. Or Santa Claus. Or riders who dope.

RULE #14 || Shorts should be clean. Nobody wants to see you itch down there.

RULE #15 || Don’t worry about what shorts to wear with the leader’s jersey. You are not a pro let alone the leader of a race.

RULE #16 || Respect the jersey. Championship and race leader jerseys must only be worn to annoy a particular breed of cyclist who thinks you should have won the corresponding race. These folk also eschew baseball hats because they haven’t played Major League Baseball and all leather goods because they’ve never been a cow.

RULE #17 || Team kit is for sale in most shops. Buy it and wear it if you like.

RULE #18 || Know what to wear. Otherwise you’ll get cold or arrested. Unless it is world naked cycling day.

RULE #19 || Introduce Yourself. Don’t worry if others don’t like your kit or bike.

“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.”
    Pablo Picasso

RULE #20 || There are only three remedies for pain. These are rest, alcohol and painkillers. Any combination of the three will do the job.

RULE #21 || Cold weather gear is for when you feel cold.

RULE #22 || Even when not riding, cycling caps will keep your head warm, keep the sun out of your eyes and save you brushing your hair.

RULE #23 || You may employ the aerodynamic tuck whenever you like because you understand the laws of aerodynamics.

RULE #24 || Speeds and distances shall be referred to and measured in whichever measurement system you or your audience is familiar with.

RULE #25 || The bikes on top of your car should be well secured.

RULE #26 || Make your bike photogenic if you must, just don’t share it on social media. Nobody cares.

RULE #27 || Shorts and socks can be any length you wish so long as they don’t get caught in your chainset.

RULE #28 || Socks can be any damn colour you like. They’re just socks.

RULE #29 || Saddle bags belong on the bike to carry the things that look stupid and feel uncomfortable in your jersey pockets. Just ask anybody who has crashed and landed on the mini-tool in their jersey pocket.

“The golden rule is that there are no golden rules”
    George Bernard Shaw

RULE #30 || Some pumps fit on frames. That’s why they are sold with frame mounts. Use them.

RULE #31 || Spare tubes, multi-tools and repair kits should be stored in a saddle bag. That’s what saddlebags are for. See rule #29.

RULE #32 || Hydration packs are never seen on a thirsty road rider’s body.

RULE #33 || Shave your legs if you wish, just remember nobody will believe any half-baked excuse you give for such an action. Similarly there’s no excuse for referring to your legs as guns.

RULE #34 || Mountain bike shoes and pedals have their place on a road bike. For example, commuting in a busy city.

RULE #35 || No visors on the road. They will get scratched. Leave them attached to your helmet.

RULE #36 || Eyewear shall protect your eyes first and foremost. If they make you look cool, consider it a bonus.

RULE #37 || The arms of the eyewear shall always be placed on or near your ears. That’s how they work.

RULE #38 || Play Leap Frog if you must. You’re a hero in your own mind only but if it makes you smile then so be it.

RULE #39 || Never listen to anybody who refers to glasses as eyewear.

“The best way to reconnect with your freedom is to look at the rules you have that govern your freedom”
    Steve Maraboli

RULE #40 || Tires are to be mounted any which way you manage to get the bloody things on. You are not a pro mechanic. And even if you were a pro racer you’d simply swap wheels making redundant any arguments of saving seconds by quickly finding valves.

RULE #41 || Quick-release levers are to be sufficiently tightened lest you lose your wheel.

RULE #42 || A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run. That’s why they have separate events called triathlons. Can’t see how you’d confuse the two very different things really.

RULE #43 || Be a jackass if it raises a smile and makes others laugh. Don’t confuse jackass with badass.

RULE #44 || Position matters and is as unique to you as your body. Comfort is your only worry.

RULE #45 || Slam your stem if it means the bike fits you. Spacers are the difference between comfort and a bad back.

RULE #46 || Keep your bars for after the ride. Drink riding ain’t cool.

RULE #47 || Ride triples if you were drinking triples the night before.

RULE #48 || Saddles must be comfortable. Take the advice of your bike fitter not your stylist.

RULE #49 || Turn the bike upside down when getting the frame security stamped by the police. Don’t make them crawl.

“Gonna change my way of thinking. Make myself a different set of rules”
    Bob Dylan

• RULE #50 || Facial hair is as natural as the hairs on your legs. Grow it, shave it, groom it.

RULE #51 || Livestrong wristbands are no longer associated with cycling. For some reason.

RULE #52 || Drink when you are thirsty, preferably just before. Water bottles are only to be referred to as bidons if you’re French or pretentious.

RULE #53 || Keep your kit clean and new but don’t be afraid to ride through puddles. You’re double hard remember?

RULE #54 || No aerobars on road bikes unless of course you understand the rules of aerodynamics. See also rule #23.

RULE #55 || Employ powered transportation on mountain climbs for the cheap thrill of descending or to practise your descending.

RULE #56 || Take your coffee like you take life, not too seriously and any which way you like.

RULE #57 || Stick whatever you wish to your bike, you paid for it.

RULE #58 || Buy online if you’re on a budget or don’t have time to go to your local bike shop or if the service in the LBS terrible.

RULE #59 || Hold your line except when faced with a car, animal, pothole, pedestrian or any other impediment. Otherwise you might wake up staring at a very different line. Beep, beep, beep.

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else”
    Albert Einstein

RULE #60 || Use the washer-nut and valve-stem cap when changing inner tubes. They each serve a purpose even you can figure out.

RULE #61 || Keep your saddle smooth and hard should you so wish. Just don’t complain to anybody the next day when you’re hurting.

RULE #62 || You shall not ride with earphones. That’s what portable speakers were invented for.

RULE #63 || Point in the direction you’re turning using the full extension of your arm so people can actually see it.

RULE #64 || Cornering confidence increases with thicker tyres and the correct tyre pressure.

RULE #65 || Maintain and respect your bike by riding it. You should not clean or lubricate it more than you do yourself. Do not refer to the bike as your machine. That’s your name, remember?

RULE #66 || No mirrors. Mirrors are for your bedroom ceiling so you can admire your chiselled calves and muscular thighs. Just never look above the waist.

RULE #67 || Hide from the wind as much as you can because you understand aerodynamics. Riding wheels and jumping past at the end is one thing and one thing only: smart.

RULE #68 || Rides are to be measured by how much you enjoyed it.

RULE #69 || Cycling shoes and bicycles are made for riding. Of course, you may need to walk at some point when on a ride. This is fine. Just don’t wear your cleats on your wedding day.

“Integrity has no need of rules”
    Albert Camus

RULE #70 || The purpose of competing is to talk about it loudly at your next cafe stop.

RULE #71 || Ride Properly. It is unlikely most of you are actually training despite your claims to the contrary. And if you are, respect others.

RULE #72 || Legs do not speak louder than words for they cannot speak. Crying and wailing out in agony is often louder than words.

RULE #73 || Gear and brake cables should shift your gears and pull your brakes. If you think length is important then you’re talking about the wrong thing.

RULE #74 || Data from power meters, heart rate monitors and your GPS will keep you entertained when you’re not riding.

RULE #75 || Race numbers are for posting to your favourites social media channels so everybody can see how much of a hero you are.

RULE #76 || Helmets are to be worn on the head or to be debated endlessly on internet forums.

RULE #77 || Respect the earth; cycle.

RULE #78 || Remove unnecessary gear. Remember, a seat is not unnecessary even if you want to save weight and you plan on standing up for your entire hill climb.

RULE #79 || Fight your town lines if anybody quotes The Rules at you.

“You are remembered for the rules you break”
    Douglas MacArthur

RULE #80 || Waiting for others pre-ride or at the start line pre-race, you must be patient. A group ride is exactly that. A group. Ride solo if impatient.

RULE #81 || Talk about rides and crashes as it may make you appear friendly. You may even learn something.

RULE #82 || Whilst riding in the cold wear what keeps you warm. Worry only about the gap between you and the nearest bike rider, the curb and passing vehicles.

RULE #83 || Be self-sufficient. Bring a bike to the group ride. Piggy backs are little fun.

RULE #84 || Follow the Code of Don’t Be A Dick. Stop when your fellow rider punctures. You are not riding the tour.

RULE #85 || Descend like a Pro. Unless that pro is Bradley Wiggins in the 2013 Giro.

RULE #86 || Don’t half-wheel. You’ll not get very far.

RULE #87 || The Ride starts when everyone has arrived. Remember, there is life outside of cycling.

RULE #88 || Don’t surge. Unless you’re in an imaginary race on the Champs-Élysées trying to beat Mark Cavendish to the line.

RULE #89 || Don’t put on dodgy accents when trying to pronounce the names of international races.

“The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions”
    Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr

RULE #90 || Never Get Out of the Big Ring when cycling downhill.

RULE #91 || No Food On Rides. The exception being when you’re hungry.

RULE #92 || No Sprinting From the Hoods. Unless the hoods are carrying guns or knives.

RULE #93 || Descents are not for recovery, they’re to shout ‘Weeeeeeeeeee’

Live life by your own rules
  • edited July 2015
    Hold on a minute. The 'rules' above are heavily edited!

These are the proper rules!

Honestly, I cant believe someone has had the cheek to edit and amend the rules. That deserves a full on flogging :smile:
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Hold on a minute. The 'rules' above are heavily edited!

These are the proper rules!

Honestly, I cant believe someone has had the cheek to edit and amend the rules. That deserves a full on flogging :smile:

Yeah I'm really not comfortable with that heavily edited version of the rules... the amount of rules broken by editing the rules in the first place causes serious consternation with me, and should be treated with the cyclists punishment as laid out in the proper rules I.e Whipping by mini hand pump
  • Ha ha ha I did wonder why the first few were mugging off rules!