Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• I'll happily buy a CL cycling top. Not seen an update after the idea was originally mentioned a few weeks back. I can only assume the club haven't given the rights to use the badge?
  • jamescafc said:

I'll happily buy a CL cycling top. Not seen an update after the idea was originally mentioned a few weeks back. I can only assume the club haven't given the rights to use the badge?

Waiting for a reply, but it is their busy time of the season eh.

There are sofa spaces to be sold....
  • jamescafc said:

I'll happily buy a CL cycling top. Not seen an update after the idea was originally mentioned a few weeks back. I can only assume the club haven't given the rights to use the badge?

Depends how it looks but i'd consider it. I only own one dedicated cycling top.
  • Finally decided on my new bike. Ordered this today. 2-3 days for delivery. #kidatxmas

Sale price is cracking value.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-SuperSix-EVO-Carbon-SRAM-Rival-2015-Road-Bike_73598.htm
  • New bike is arriving tomorrow so am selling my current steed. Thought I'd offer it on here before putting it on Ebay.

Forme Reflex 58" frame. (Suit 5.11 - 6.2)
    Full Carbon
    Full Shimano 105 11spd
    Look Keo Pedals.

Few small scratches on the frame (all from where the lock has rubbed against it).

Have the original receipt from 2 years ago (cost £1500.00) new. Looking for a quick sale so will let it go for £300.00 if anyone is interested.

In decent nick, rear deraileur needs adjusting, but will pay to get that done or knock £15.00 off the price if the buyer wants to sort it out.

Picture is from when it was new. Bar tape is now marked up.
  • Where you based? Will probably take that, just wouldn't mind trying for size.
  • Sidcup. Send me a PM if you are interested and we can sort out a test ride etc.
  • Another bike to shift on here as replaced by a new bit of carbon, going for £275 including a Garmin 200. Cube Peloton Pro 2013, 56CM frame so (5'8 to 5'11), in pretty decent nick apart from a couple of little nicks. Comes with the Garmin, plus Gatorskin Hardshell tyres for robust riding on the roads. Has been recently serviced, so new cables have been installed.

Full Tiagra
    Speedplay pedals and I'll chuck a set of cleats in (Pedals and cleats are £100 alone)
    Freshly serviced

• Dazzler21 said:

After a couple of weeks cycling my balls are in agony... Does it not ease off?

Yep, after about 3 years.
  • EastStand said:

Because of this thread I had a panic dream last night about my tires going flat with no way to fix/replace them.

I have that dream regularly. Especially after taking part in the London Triathlon a couple of years back doing the cycling leg, I decided in my wisdom to carry a gas bottle in case of punctures which I thought would be lighter than a pump.

Sure enough I punctured on the second lap, used the gas bottle to fix it and off I went.
    Managed to get onto lap 3 and guess what happened?

The dream normally ends up with me in a shop buying a pump!

• Sponsored links:

• EastStand said:

Because of this thread I had a panic dream last night about my tires going flat with no way to fix/replace them.

I have that dream regularly. Especially after taking part in the London Triathlon a couple of years back doing the cycling leg, I decided in my wisdom to carry a gas bottle in case of punctures which I thought would be lighter than a pump.

Sure enough I punctured on the second lap, used the gas bottle to fix it and off I went.

I'm going on a long ride with a cycling group in a few weeks and I'll need a flat repair kit. Can you guys recommend one? Something light I can strap onto the frame with a decent enough pump. Under £30 would be nice!
  • EastStand said:

EastStand said:

I'm going on a long ride with a cycling group in a few weeks and I'll need a flat repair kit. Can you guys recommend one? Something light I can strap onto the frame with a decent enough pump. Under £30 would be nice!
    Erm, if you think you're gonna have time to do a puncture repair at the side of the road, you're in for a rude awakening lol. Just stock up on inner tubes. Carry two or three in your cycling jersey pockets and repair any puncture ones at home if you so wish. If you buy online, you can get them pretty cheap to make them almost disposable. Dont forget tyre levers and a pump.

• JohnBoyUK said:

EastStand said:

EastStand said:

Erm, if you think you're gonna have time to do a puncture repair at the side of the road, you're in for a rude awakening lol. Just stock up on inner tubes. Carry two or three in your cycling jersey pockets and repair any puncture ones at home if you so wish. If you buy online, you can get them pretty cheap to make them almost disposable. Dont forget tyre levers and a pump.

This.

Buy in bulk from ebay. I never repair puntures just chuck the tube away.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

EastStand said:

EastStand said:

This.

Buy in bulk from ebay. I never repair puntures just chuck the tube away.
    I have to say, the look of horror on my old man's face when he saw me chuck away half a dozen punctured inner tubes was priceless!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

EastStand said:

EastStand said:

This. I wouldn't even consider a repair kit. Take some tubes, and get good ones.
  • New bike is arriving tomorrow so am selling my current steed. Thought I'd offer it on here before putting it on Ebay.

Full Carbon
    Full Shimano 105 11spd
    Look Keo Pedals.

Few small scratches on the frame (all from where the lock has rubbed against it).

Have the original receipt from 2 years ago (cost £1500.00) new. Looking for a quick sale so will let it go for £300.00 if anyone is interested.

In decent nick, rear deraileur needs adjusting, but will pay to get that done or knock £15.00 off the price if the buyer wants to sort it out.

Clem, did you buy that from Sidcup Cycles originally?
  • Haha fair enough, thanks guys!

Full Carbon
    Full Shimano 105 11spd
    Look Keo Pedals.

Yes. Got it on Cycle to Work 2 years ago. Traded my old Cube against it.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

EastStand said:

EastStand said:

This. I wouldn't even consider a repair kit. Take some tubes, and get good ones.
    Definitely agree about just replacing the tubes but if you puncture a couple of times than having a small puncture repair kit as well is another backup or its a taxi.

Have a look at

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-rescue-box/rp-prod74903

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-metal-patch-kit/rp-prod36295

They take up hardly any room and no glue required.

CO2 is much better than a mini pump as well. But I have a combined mini pump / CO2 to cover running out of CO2 as well. Topeak and Bontrager do some of these.

• New baby has arrived. Treated myself to new pedals from Wiggle which will be here tomorrow. Calf tattoo finished today so unlikely to get a ride before Monday.

Now, if someone could explain how SRAM double-click shifters work I'd appreciate it!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2015
    Oooh, now thats a nice looking bike Clem. What are you going to call it her?
  • Never used the double tap sram but they sound simple enough - sure you'll get used to it.

Lovely looking bike - get those reflectors off her quick sharp!

@EastStand I've got a parktool mini tool which has built in tyre levers - cracking little bit of kit: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-rescue-tool-mtb-7/rp-prod5096?gs=1&gclid=CLf78qCIo8cCFRK3Gwodj_oGXA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Remember to check inside (and out) of your tyres when replacing a tube - i didn't in the pissing rain a few weeks back and ended up with an hour walk home in cleats after my second tube went flat too. yippie!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Oooh, now thats a nice looking bike Clem. What are you going to call it her?

Can't assign a name until after the maiden voyage!
    olster said:

Never used the double tap sram but they sound simple enough - sure you'll get used to it.

Lovely looking bike - get those reflectors off her quick sharp!

@EastStand I've got a parktool mini tool which has built in tyre levers - cracking little bit of kit: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-rescue-tool-mtb-7/rp-prod5096?gs=1&gclid=CLf78qCIo8cCFRK3Gwodj_oGXA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Remember to check inside (and out) of your tyres when replacing a tube - i didn't in the pissing rain a few weeks back and ended up with an hour walk home in cleats after my second tube went flat too. yippie!

Reflectors off is on my list of things to do today!
  • Why take reflectors off?
  • edited August 2015
    Dazzler21 said:

Why take reflectors off?

Because they look terrible and I use lights if I am riding at night!
  • Dazzler21 said:

Why take reflectors off?

Because they look terrible and I use lights if I am riding at night!
    They don't make her look better in fairness.

Awesome looking bike.

Full Carbon
    Full Shimano 105 11spd
    Look Keo Pedals.

Yes. Got it on Cycle to Work 2 years ago. Traded my old Cube against it.

I bought my BH from there some time ago, and have had no complaints at all. Nigel always does good bikes.

• Dazzler21 said:

Why take reflectors off?

Every gram counts. No reflectors = more pork pies instead. :smile:
  • Determined to giving commuting in autumn/winter a go this year and lose my tag as a fair weather cyclist. Can anyone recommend a decent website to buy some kit? I had a look in Evans yday and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the cost of the winter clothing range.
  • jamescafc said:

Determined to giving commuting in autumn/winter a go this year and lose my tag as a fair weather cyclist. Can anyone recommend a decent website to buy some kit? I had a look in Evans yday and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the cost of the winter clothing range.

James, you get what you pay for. There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Go for the best you can afford and I look at it from the angle that this should last me 5/6 years. Get something that is comfortable and breathable if your budget runs to it, and get it from a shop where you can try it on. There's some real crap on the interweb thingy.

At all costs keep your feet dry with some good overshoes, and don't forget your bike. You may want to consider some short guards to stop the spray going up your aris on wet days.

Above all remember, you can never have too many cycling clothes :-)

Good luck.