Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• 24 hours? Or longer? Did it in 2013 - doing it again this year (was supposed to have been in July but cancelled because of the shenanigans in Calais, now scheduled for first weekend in September)

Two hills to talk of on this side of the channel - one near Charing and the other at Dover. Three or four in France, spread over the route. None of them are higher than about 200 metres. I think the total elevation was about 3500 metres over 440km, so not hilly at all really

Its only a real challenge if you do it in 24 hours - simply staying awake that long and turning the pedals over for that amount of time is difficult. The three day tours are easy as pie - You'll do about 150km a day, at an average of around 18km/h
  • During the three day
  • fatrob said:

Just put my name down to do London to Paris next April just wondering if anyone has done it also is it flat or hilly the other side of the channel

A friend did it a couple of years ago. Terrain isn't too bad but the wind is an absolute killer apparently.
  • fatrob said:

Just put my name down to do London to Paris next April just wondering if anyone has done it also is it flat or hilly the other side of the channel

A friend did it a couple of years ago. Terrain isn't too bad but the wind is an absolute killer apparently.
    Gels?
  • We done L2P over 3.5 days back in 201...erm...2? Or what was it 2013? No must have been 2012 now.

Day 1: Sidcup to Dover and ferry to Calais (87 miles)
    Day 2: Calais to Arras (75 miles)
    Day 3: Arras to Compiegene (75 miles)
    Day 4: Compiegene to Paris (57 miles).

It was a privately arranged trip by a few friends raising money for various charities. We had a back up van and it was very leisurely tbh. Most days we were trundling along in a 20-man peloton at 14-15mph with very little effort.

Can only remember two hills. One was at Dover. Seemed to go on forever. The other was about 30 mins into our ride on Day 2, just outside Calais. There were a few other little bumps here and there but nothing to worry about. There was a bit on Day 3, not sure exactly where it was but it a downhill stretch for a good 4-5 miles on freshly laid tarmac and I can say without doubt, that was the highlight of my cycling career.

Seriously, as long as you do the miles beforehand and get used to doing big rides on consecutive days, you'll have no issue at all. It really isnt strenuous at all.
  • I'm thinking of attempting the Greenwich Mean Climb audax in September. 300k around Kent over the Downs and to the sea (twice).
    Am I being realistic? The furthest I've ridden is 180k 3 weeks ago. Have I enough time to be fit enough for this?
    Thank you.
  • What time did you do 180km in? Without knowing you and what your speed/distance workload has been like the last few months it's not easy to make an assessment, but that ought to give some clue as to your ability to complete it in the time allotted
  • Yeah, I've looked into it a bit more and I think it's a bit too far, too soon. So I'll do it next year and look for some 200k rides instead. But thanks.
  • So i think it's one of these from memory:

It's an Orbea Line with Mavic cxp wheels and a elite magnetic turbo trainer. All for £250.00.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Can only remember two hills. One was at Dover. Seemed to go on forever. The other was about 30 mins into our ride on Day 2, just outside Calais. There were a few other little bumps here and there but nothing to worry about. There was a bit on Day 3, not sure exactly where it was but it a downhill stretch for a good 4-5 miles on freshly laid tarmac and I can say without doubt, that was the highlight of my cycling career.

Dover Hill is horrendous. One of those peculiarly British climbs that is far, far more spiteful than it looks. I've done climbs far harder than that but I always remember it as painful and unpleasant.

I think I know the descent you're talking about in France - it was smooth as a baby's bum, long and straight and had a roundabout at the bottom (far enough away from the end of the descent not to be dangerous)
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Neighbor has an Orbea road bike he is selling for £250 with carbon fibre forks and clip in shoe thingys.... Worth it?
    I've taken it out for a spin and it's a good size for me.

(it's planned to be a starter bike)
  • edited July 2015
    p.s i really don't know if anything i've just said is actually any use to anyone... just looking for some general advice.
  • Dazzler21 said:

So i think it's one of these from memory:

It's an Orbea Line with Mavic cxp wheels and a elite magnetic turbo trainer. All for £250.00.

To be honest, even without looking at the full spec of the bike - if it's that one and in good nick, I'd say it's worth it. You'd need to know what groupset is on it, what sort of condition all the components are in, how the wheels look etc but even if you have to replace the chain & cassette, put new cables on and get the wheels trued, provided nothing is 'wrong' with the bike it looks like a decent purchase. That's said with caution though, because unless I actually looked at a bike and rode it beforehand I'd never buy it!
  • Dazzler21 said:

So i think it's one of these from memory:

To be honest, even without looking at the full spec of the bike - if it's that one and in good nick, I'd say it's worth it. You'd need to know what groupset is on it, what sort of condition all the components are in, how the wheels look etc but even if you have to replace the chain & cassette, put new cables on and get the wheels trued, provided nothing is 'wrong' with the bike it looks like a decent purchase. That's said with caution though, because unless I actually looked at a bike and rode it beforehand I'd never buy it!
    Going by the MTB knowledge it all looks good, it rides very nicely.

Screw it i'm gonna do it caution to the wind.

• How are the Charlton cycling tops coming along?
  • Can anyone recommend a decent pair of cycling shoes and pedals
  • fatrob said:

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of cycling shoes and pedals

I use Look pedals. I find them much easier to clip in and out of than standard spd's.

If you go for look then make sure you get some cleat protectors for when you are walking around. The cleats do not last very long if you drag them along pavements.

You also need to consider what colour cleats you use. Each colour determines how much float there is when you clip in (how much your foot will move around). I use grey cleats which are the least rigid. My right knee is knackered so I need to be able to move my foot a bit to stay comfortable.

You can get the basic look pedals and cleats for about £45 - £50 if you shop around.

In terms of shoes I use Garneau. They cost £95 but have lasted me 2 years and are just starting to wear out on the back now. If you go for Look pedals you need to ensure the shoe you buy is compatible with Look cleats. Most road shoes are.

Only other word of advice. Practice, Practice Practice before heading out. Can be a bit of a mare trying to clip in at traffic lights with cars all around you.
  • Shimano r170 shoes and spd/sl yellow cleats.

Spd/sl and look keo cleats are very similar, and most shoes have a fit pattern that will accept both
  • Just signed up for the london duathlon at Richmond park. 10k run, 44k ride, 5k run. Anyone else done this before?
  • I use speedplay pedals (double sided, no messing around) and Sidi Genius 6.6 shoes (lasted approx. 5 years, which is just as well, as they were bloody expensive).. Definitely get cleat covers..
  • Sponsored links:

• jamescafc said:

Just signed up for the london duathlon at Richmond park. 10k run, 44k ride, 5k run. Anyone else done this before?

Good luck with that. I havent done a tri or a duathlon but I've done a good few brick sessions, from bike to run and vice-verca. I just cant describe how my legs feel when I start running after just getting off the bike. Its a bit like you look down, see that the legs are moving but you cant feel them. Its bloody hilarious. Have lost my balance a good few times and fell over, just as if like I was drunk. Not so bad from run to bike but bike to run is a killer for me lol.

• Haha should be interesting tomorrow then as I'm planning on a 40km ride followed by my local Parkrun at 9am. Will be the first time I have run straight after a ride so will let you know how I get on.
  • Cleat Covers are a great buy and something I need to get hold of, as I am getting through a pair of these every four months or so. I'm using Exustar pedals which are a slightly cheaper model than Look, but work just as well, and accept Look cleats. Although the greatest piece of advice given so far has to be practice practice practice with these shoes! I learnt this the hard way and had numerous embarrassing moments on my own in traffic, and on club rides!
  • jamescafc said:

Just signed up for the london duathlon at Richmond park. 10k run, 44k ride, 5k run. Anyone else done this before?

Done a few Olympic Sprint Tri's. - 500m swim/20kbike and 5k run. There's some well organized events in Kent.

• CAFC Luke said:

Cleat Covers are a great buy and something I need to get hold of, as I am getting through a pair of these every four months or so. I'm using Exustar pedals which are a slightly cheaper model than Look, but work just as well, and accept Look cleats. Although the greatest piece of advice given so far has to be practice practice practice with these shoes! I learnt this the hard way and had numerous embarrassing moments on my own in traffic, and on club rides!

You're not a proper cyclist until you've fallen over sideways when clipped in :)
  • JohnBoyUK said:

CAFC Luke said:

Cleat Covers are a great buy and something I need to get hold of, as I am getting through a pair of these every four months or so. I'm using Exustar pedals which are a slightly cheaper model than Look, but work just as well, and accept Look cleats. Although the greatest piece of advice given so far has to be practice practice practice with these shoes! I learnt this the hard way and had numerous embarrassing moments on my own in traffic, and on club rides!

You're not a proper cyclist until you've fallen over sideways when clipped in :)
    yeah this is true... The worst one left me with a nasty 5 tooth cut on my leg from the chainset which I now have to pass off as a bear attack. The real reason is far too painful to tell
  • JohnBoyUK said:

CAFC Luke said:

Or onto a motorcyclist waiting at the lights in The Old Kent Road :-) Ha ha, he did give me a mouthful of abuse.

• JohnBoyUK said:

CAFC Luke said:

My worst one was my first commute using them. Junction of Bexley Rd and Westmount Rd lights. Couldn't get my left foot in as I went to pull away, panic set in and over I went. Smacked my head on the curb and a driver jumped out as he thought I'd really hurt myself. Being in a state of utter shame I shunned his offers of help, re-mounted and tried to get away as quickly as possible. What I hadn't noticed was my chain had fallen off! So you've guessed it, I promptly went over again!!! This time clipped in. Opened a huge gash just above my ankle.

I went home and called in sick!
  • I still laugh over my worst experience.

Had come flying down Knatts Valley Road to the junction with Eynsford Road. The junction is on the hill so you need to be careful.

Anyhow, came to a stop and managed to get my right foot unclipped but the left foot was totally stuck. Think the overshoe had got stuck in the cleat.

I tried and tried to budge it but couldnt so thought to myself ok, will just have to stay like that until I got home.

Went to put my weight on the left pedal to cycle away but it totally swayed my weight from right to left and I was a gonna.

In slow motion, I flapped away with my right hand at the air trying to get back upright and to switch my weight back. 10-20 seconds of flapping, got a bit back but not enough. Looked up, smiled at the onlooking cars waiting to turn into the junction and shouted timber on the way down.

Knew I was going so was able to spin and lift the bike at the same time. Ended up on my back on the tarmac, still clipped in, bike facing towards the sky.

I was pissing myself laughing, so were the car drivers. 3 guys got out to help me up and get the bike off me. So embarrasing but so bloody funny thinking back, even 3-4 years later.

Thank god I didnt have the helmet cam on that day lol.
  • My funniest was just after I bought my first 'real' bike a couple of years ago. I had just come down a long hill between Redhill and Reigate on the drops. Felt really proud of myself and thought I looked the dogs bollocks on my fancy bike. Slowed down at traffic lights at the bottom of the hill, and a pretty girl in a fancy convertible caught my eye. Gliding suavely to a stop alongside I failed to disengage my cleat, and promptly toppled over almost into her passenger seat. She wasn't amused... But the old dear in the car the other side of me absolutely pissed herself.

Everyone falls. Everyone. But it's amazing how quickly you get used to them.