Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• fatrob said:

So is it worth getting a Garmin Edge 200 or just using Strava on my IPhone only problem is it seems to cane the battery.

I've used a Garmin Edge for two years and its absolutely fine for what I want/need.

I appear to be a bit of an exception to the rule in as much as I don't really like Strava. No particular reason.
    I'm in the same camp. My Garmin does exactly what I need it to do, HR,Cadence, Speed, Distance etc., it's what suits you best. I'm reluctant to change for the sake of it.

Mind you, I'd be grateful if I could get on my bike at the moment, frigging knee problem all year won't go away.

• fatrob said:

So is it worth getting a Garmin Edge 200 or just using Strava on my IPhone only problem is it seems to cane the battery.

If you use your phone then as long as you have the screen switched off the battery drain is ok. Put it on though and it will be gone in a flash.

Where will you have the phone? On the bars - what case etc. and are you prepared with a good case for the wet and possible crash. If in a back pocket then get yourself a ziplock bag or something to put it in as well.

I use a Garmin 500 as its waterproof and pretty bombproof. Have to sync is manually to a computer to upload the files which is a minor irritant. Will be upgrading to a 520 or 820\900 if announced soon which then can sync to the phone.

The 200 cannot connect to any speed \ cadence etc. so this may or may not be an issue.

There are the new Edge 20\25 as well now to replace the 200.
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/garmin-edge-20-25.html

The DC Rainmaker site is brilliant for in depth reviews of all the cycling tech so everything you need to know is probably in there somewhere..

• fatrob said:

This is the exact reason I started using the Garmin. The Edge 200 only cost me around £70 on Amazon. I also found that the GPS connection with Strava to be a little hit and miss, although that may be due to my iPhone and not the app.
  • Anyone else having problems synching their Garmin with Strava at the moment? My 800 doesn't auto synch anymore and I have to upload all files manually, one at a time, which is chuffing annoying..
  • I had this a few months ago. So went into Strava and removed the connection to Garmin. Then set it up again and since then they have sync'd over in a few seconds from loading up to Garmin.
  • Was thinking about approaching Milltag.cc to do a Charlton cycling jersey. What do people reckon?

• I'll have a few. How much we looking at?
  • Was thinking about approaching Milltag.cc to do a Charlton cycling jersey. What do people reckon?

Nice subtle design - red with a white band on one arm and the badge somewhere on the front and I'm interested
  • So with ten of us in, that'd be 43 quid each? Not bad - though Milltage jerseys aren't your Sunday Best, they're still decent enough quality. Wonder if there are any other clubs out there with cycling fanbases? Maybe we could have a stage race :smiley:

Actually scratch that - we're probably the only club sad enough to have as many MAMILs as we have on here :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Ooh, I know I haven't been contributing to this thread but I'd be up for the shirt.
  • Make em a round £50 and the £7 goes to the Upstarts.

Keep em Raphaesque basic in design as Leroy said.

Like the idea of 'Charlton CC' in an Italian style font somewhere on the shirt (top of the back)
  • Depending on the size options, I'm a big bastard, I'm in.
  • Make em a round £50 and the £7 goes to the Upstarts.

Keep em Raphaesque basic in design as Leroy said.

Like the idea of 'Charlton CC' in an Italian style font somewhere on the shirt (top of the back)

Happy with this. Everyone's a winner!
  • Looked at the sizes - I'm out. :-(
  • I'll get something mocked up and will stick it on here.

Will keep it as above so there's not the expected 10 page thread on where the pockets should go...

Will ask the club for permission to use the badge if it gets off the ground.

If it sold well could do other cycling bits and raise some cash for the Upbeats.
  • iainment said:

Depending on the size options, I'm a big bastard, I'm in.

Yeah I'll need 'Dartplayer' size myself at the moment
  • Strava is great. There's a Charlton Life club on there for all us pathetic MAMILs - join up!

Agree about the motivational aspect of it - I often ride the same routes and it's good to see where I've improved over time, or where I slack off and need a bit of a gee-up (strangely oftn after climbs as opposed to during them, when I guess I recover and coast for a bit)

What's the Strava group called?
  • It's just called Charlton Life
  • jamescafc said:

Strava is great. There's a Charlton Life club on there for all us pathetic MAMILs - join up!

Agree about the motivational aspect of it - I often ride the same routes and it's good to see where I've improved over time, or where I slack off and need a bit of a gee-up (strangely oftn after climbs as opposed to during them, when I guess I recover and coast for a bit)

What's the Strava group called?
    Search for it through all clubs not just cycling clubs ticked. Thats the problem I had yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• I should contribute to this page way more than I do, Considering the amount of riding I do, although it nowhere near compares to what you manage Leroy! I'd be more than up for having a Charlton Jersey made up and think the idea to support the Upbeats is great as well. Who knows, if it takes off they may even stock them in the club shop.

I'm also looking at getting a garmin having used strava on my phone for a number of years, but what are the real benefits of having this over using the map tool built into strava? would be good to know to see whether the purchase is worth the money before committing
  • iainment said:

Depending on the size options, I'm a big bastard, I'm in.

Yeah I'll need 'Dartplayer' size myself at the moment
    Like the idea and would have been interested. Just seen the sizes! XXXL 42-44!!!! I'm out.....

Perhaps Fat Bloke At The Back will don one?
  • A bit late to the conversation but have been following it over the last few months , my name is mick and im a MAMIL ! .Mainly commuting from Thamesmead to ALDWYCH six days a week, but occasionally get to ride around the roads of ESSEX south woodhams . My ride is a Specialized Roubaix Sl4 , a nice ride but looking to upgrade some parts later .
  • If it helps get it out of the starting blocks then I would buy a shirt, even though I have more kit then I can ever possibly use now...like the idea of something red for city riding (usually wear one of a few red rapha tops..)

Re: strava app on mobile vs Garmin, a few of the blokes I was in Italy with used the app on their phone and all of them apparently completed up to 1000m of climbing more each day than the rest of us using a Garmin, even tho we each climbed the same mountains...so there may be accuracy issues..
  • Spoken to Milltag and things are under way. They are in talks with another football club also at the moment.

Will put the design up when I get it.
  • Spoken to Milltag and things are under way. They are in talks with another football club also at the moment.

Another Football team you say? Maybe there is race potential behind Leroy's initial Ideas!
  • edited July 2015
    I'd buy one!
  • I'll be up for a shirt if it gets off the ground
  • CAFC Luke said:

Spoken to Milltag and things are under way. They are in talks with another football club also at the moment.

Another Football team you say? Maybe there is race potential behind Leroy's initial Ideas!
    That'd actually be really fun. If we could get a team of six together (big ask, I know) then I'm pretty sure there will be at least a couple more teams out there with enough fans interested to do it. We could make it a chairty thing too - for the Upbeats for us and whichever charities the other teams have links with.

That said, it'd probably be bloody difficult to organise - it's hard enough for me to get my mates organised for a Sunday pootle!
  • edited July 2015
    Put me down for one as well, please.

S