Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Got the approval from the Club to use the badge on the cycling jerseys. Many thanks to them for coming back so quickly.

Will upload final design, sizes and final price for the jersey.

Hopefully will be able to raise a few quid for The Upbeats also.

Who is their contact on the forum? (Curb_It??)

• Got the approval from the Club to use the badge on the cycling jerseys. Many thanks to them for coming back so quickly.

Will upload final design, sizes and final price for the jersey.

Hopefully will be able to raise a few quid for The Upbeats also.

Who is their contact on the forum? (Curb_It??)

Can't remember if this was already answered, are they going to be available in fat bastard sizes?
  • Yes mate

Cheers.
  • jamescafc said:

Determined to giving commuting in autumn/winter a go this year and lose my tag as a fair weather cyclist. Can anyone recommend a decent website to buy some kit? I had a look in Evans yday and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the cost of the winter clothing range.

chainreactioncycles have a flash sale on at the moment, lots of clothing bargains.
  • @jamescafc if you're patient, you can pick up decent hardly used kit on gumtree/ebay for tuppence.
  • edited August 2015
    So given there are 30 plus people buying the shirt how about a sponsored ride to an away game?
    Reading 17 October if the shirts are in or Brighton 5 December.
    Or Ipswich next year 5 April.
  • edited August 2015
    iainment said:

So given there are 30 plus people buying the shirt how about a sponsored ride to an away game?

nice idea but some little scrote would love to find 30 high end bikes chained to a lamp post.
  • edited August 2015

iainment said:

nice idea but some little scrote would love to find 30 high end bikes chained to a lamp post.
    I work on a place with loads of scrotes and have never had my bike nicked.
    If it was a sanctioned ride by charlton I'm sure the away club would find somewhere safe to park the bikes.
    Anyway it doesn't have to be a high end bike for the sort of distances I'm proposing.
  • edited August 2015
    iainment said:

I was thinking of the same kind of thing. Think it would be better to give it quite a bit of time so people can plan work and life, and others who may be newer to cycling as there are on here can prepare.

Regarding the bikes..... the away club may be accommodating for storing them if given notice of what's happening.
  • Sponsored links:

• jamescafc said:

Determined to giving commuting in autumn/winter a go this year and lose my tag as a fair weather cyclist. Can anyone recommend a decent website to buy some kit? I had a look in Evans yday and nearly had a heart attack when I saw the cost of the winter clothing range.

Go to decathlon at Surrey quays good cheap clothing. It has all you need.
  • DRAddick said:

iainment said:

I was thinking of the same kind of thing. Think it would be better to give it quite a bit of time so people can plan work and life, and others who may be newer to cycling as there are on here can prepare.

Regarding the bikes..... the away club may be accommodating for storing them if given notice of what's happening.
    I'd be well up for that and would be happy to help prepare/recce a route.
  • Preparing a route is fairly easy I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't already audax routes to Ipswich from London
  • iainment said:

I'm in. I can plan a good route if it's Reading - Ipswich would porbably be the Dunwich Dynamo route - and Brighton really takes care of itself
  • iainment said:

I'm in. I can plan a good route if it's Reading - Ipswich would porbably be the Dunwich Dynamo route - and Brighton really takes care of itself
    We'll have to make you carry a backpack with weights in so we can keep up!
  • jamescafc said:

iainment said:

We'll have to make you carry a backpack with weights in so we can keep up!
    Ha

Nah - I'll just pull on the front all day :smiley:
  • If there are showers before I sit down to watch a game, I'm in....not so keen to sit in sweaty lycra for 90 mins otherwise (not good for the people next to me either...). :-)
  • I vote Reading or Brighton. I don't know if my little legs could keep up all the way to Ipswich!
  • EastStand said:

I vote Reading or Brighton. I don't know if my little legs could keep up all the way to Ipswich!

I wouldn't make it to Ipswich. Brighton would be my preference and a good date to do something CAFC related.
  • Sponsored links:

• If there are showers before I sit down to watch a game, I'm in....not so keen to sit in sweaty lycra for 90 mins otherwise (not good for the people next to me either...). :-)

they'll all be in sweaty Lycra too won't they ;o)

Babywipes man, babywipes. Most essential item in a pannier bag.
  • Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

the Brighton fans are gonna love you lot.
  • iainment said:

Preparing a route is fairly easy I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't already audax routes to Ipswich from London

yep - but if there's a sizable continginet then it's worth speaking to probable cafe/pub stop(s) along the way.
  • Tyre question. Its getting wetter and I mostly use my bike to commute on shit London roads.

Continental Grand Prix 4 Season - these are the daddy right? 28mm is good for tough roads (I'm not racing) and will fit any (700cc) road wheel correct?
  • olster said:

iainment said:

Preparing a route is fairly easy I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't already audax routes to Ipswich from London

yep - but if there's a sizable continginet then it's worth speaking to probable cafe/pub stop(s) along the way.
    True
  • EastStand said:

Tyre question. Its getting wetter and I mostly use my bike to commute on shit London roads.

Continental Grand Prix 4 Season - these are the daddy right? 28mm is good for tough roads (I'm not racing) and will fit any (700cc) road wheel correct?

I always found Gatorskins (23mm) to be the best all round tyre.
  • EastStand said:

Tyre question. Its getting wetter and I mostly use my bike to commute on shit London roads.

Marathon plus for me.
  • EastStand said:

Specialized Armadillo 25mm here. Tough as old boots and - unlike the contis - don't require fingers like a rock climber to get on and off the rim. Be careful with 28mm - they'll fit most bikes, but not all. Generally tends to be higher end bikes that have problems accommodating a fatter tyre though, so you should be fine
  • It'd be good if we could arrange a van or something with some support. That way we could all bring a day bag with a change of clothes