Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Ok cool, thanks guys. I've got the slicks that came with the nike on atm, and they worry me. Used to MTB tyres.
  • EastStand said:

Tyre question. Its getting wetter and I mostly use my bike to commute on shit London roads.

Continental Grand Prix 4 Season - these are the daddy right? 28mm is good for tough roads (I'm not racing) and will fit any (700cc) road wheel correct?

Specialized Armadillo 25mm here. Tough as old boots and - unlike the contis - don't require fingers like a rock climber to get on and off the rim. Be careful with 28mm - they'll fit most bikes, but not all. Generally tends to be higher end bikes that have problems accommodating a fatter tyre though, so you should be fine
    good point about the ease which tyres can be removed. Gatorskins are hard work and it's a well known fact that you always get punctures when it's cold, wet and on your way to work.
  • On Sunday I cycled the South Downs Way in a day ............100 miles with 11,500 feet of climb. It was a significant challenge , the last 15 miles being particularly brutal. Anyone else conquered said route in a day ?

• Specialized Armadillo 25mm here. Tough as old boots and - unlike the contis - don't require fingers like a rock climber to get on and off the rim. Be careful with 28mm - they'll fit most bikes, but not all. Generally tends to be higher end bikes that have problems accommodating a fatter tyre though, so you should be fine

Used to ride Armadillo's about ten years ago, they felt awful real heavy. Swapped to Michelin Krylion's and they had a bit more joy about them. The new Michelin winter tyres aren't very reliable. What are the recent Armadillo's like?

• Anyone seen the stretch of 'dedicated cycle lane' on Embankment that's been opened? Jesus wept - it's narrow enough now, when it's painted to split it east/west you'll have difficulty getting past anyone on it. Think I'll just avoid Embankment completely - if I need to use an east/west route in London I'll go via back streets - you just know this is going to make it open season on cyclists using the 'real' road there.
  • ColinTat said:

Specialized Armadillo 25mm here. Tough as old boots and - unlike the contis - don't require fingers like a rock climber to get on and off the rim. Be careful with 28mm - they'll fit most bikes, but not all. Generally tends to be higher end bikes that have problems accommodating a fatter tyre though, so you should be fine

Used to ride Armadillo's about ten years ago, they felt awful real heavy. Swapped to Michelin Krylion's and they had a bit more joy about them. The new Michelin winter tyres aren't very reliable. What are the recent Armadillo's like?

Light compared to other 'hard wearing' tyres, but they're perfect as training/commuting tyres. I wouldn't race on 'em, but I have no problems climbing on them - unlike cheaper 'durable' tyres. I run Schwalbe Durano with latex tubes for 'fast stuff', but Armadillos are great for commuting.
  • Careful now - that bloke looks really 'ard

What an absolute fuckstain of a human being
  • So, we will shortly have the shirts. What about the ride?
    Is there still interest?
    If so do we go before or after the new year?
  • I'm interested. Realistically it will probably be the new year as it'll take that long to get anything worthwhile organised, but after this th (London to Paris on Saturday and 24 hour time trial at Brands Hatch weekend after next) I'm pretty much clear of events for the rest of the year
  • Sponsored links:

• Lack of localish away games in the new year, other then Ipswich on a Tuesday, and Brentford.
  • I still think the ride would be great! if we can organise the troops soon there's the possibility of Reading in October, but this obviously depends when the shirts will arrive otherwise there's potential for a chilly trip to Brighton in December? other than those, there is certainly a lack of "localish" games to make it to.
  • I think that Brighton looks the best bet.
    The shirts should be here, it's not too far, there's enough time to organise it and also to get sponsors and it should be relatively easy to get back.
  • Brighton is a nice run out - but it can be bitterly cold out on the south downs in December. I'm willing to rule 9 that shit, but if the weather is poor I would expect the turnout to be pretty grim. Just sayin'.
  • Not sure if anyone went out this morning but left the house just after 6am and it was freezing. Had to get my winter gear out. Had really hoped this would be the year where I stopped being a fair weather commuter but suspect the bike will be put away by mid October.
  • jamescafc said:

Not sure if anyone went out this morning but left the house just after 6am and it was freezing. Had to get my winter gear out. Had really hoped this would be the year where I stopped being a fair weather commuter but suspect the bike will be put away by mid October.

I went out at just after 8 and it took a good mile or so to warm up. Had mits on and my fingers were bloody freezing when I got to work.
  • edited September 2015
    ITV said It's dropping to 5C tonight lads. Although BBC says 10C.
  • Definitely a chilly one this morning on the way to work. Although I'd take that every morning compared to the Monsoon downpour I got caught in on the way home.

Rule 9 is certainly starting to be reapplied to my thinking at the moment Leroy, so I'm wondering whether it's worth putting something together for Brighton, but on a fairly informal basis and then picking something come the back end of the season to unite everyone and have a big ride out and raise some more money for the upbeats. What do people think?
  • The main concern for me would be if we have a support vehicle. Don't fancy cycling with a bag on my bag of clothes to change into as I do not want to watch the game in probable wet Lycra freezing my nuts off !

The journey back would be in the dark and even colder unless you opt for a train etc.

• London to Brighton in December really wouldn't be much fun. Potential for rain, wind and very low temps.

Agree re: a support vehicle as well. Would definitely want to get changed at the other end and if possible take a shower! Imagine the smell in the away end if 20-30 of us turned up in sweaty lycra.

Have to say I wouldn't be riding home in the dark either. It'd be the train for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• So maybe a ride to an away game this year isn't possible for the reasons mentioned.
    What about a ride from the Valley to the Valley for a home game? We could work out a 50 mile or so route and do that. Perhaps to Rochester and back.
  • You might be on to something here though lads.
    Cycle to the train station after the game, got to be the quickest option out of that stadium?
  • If anyone does fancy a cycle ride on a Sunday morning 8am-ish (i.e. that is nothing to do with a football game), I try and get out most weekends and have a good few 50 mile or so routes around Kent, starting and ending in Blackheath...just drop me a line and I'll let you know any details...not been out for weeks so am currently 4kg over weight and likely to be very slow (am old too, so not likely to be getting any faster...)
  • edited September 2015
    I'd be up for cycling to brighton even if it was only a few of us...

No such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing...
  • olster said:

I'd be up for cycling to brighton even if it was only a few of us...

No such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing...

There bloody is if you live up North... :smiley:

I'm up for Brighton anyway whatever the weather
  • iainment said:

I am changing to clipless imminently. I was given a voucher for a bike shop and got shimano spd pedals, pd-m520 actually. And then got some cheap but highly rated shoes from decathlon.
    So this weekend I'll change them.
    I'm hoping that having used toe clips for some years I'll have an awareness that you wouldn't have from flat pedals. Which will minimise the toppling over.
    Having said that I've had a couple of falls where my feet got caught in my toe straps.

We'll obviously need a complete description of the first couple of falls :-)
    Finally fitted my spd pedals yesterday. Had a practice for an hour or so. Rode my 10 mile commute this morning and as yet I've not had a problem.
    I'm sure it's just a matter of time though.
  • Birth
    Tax
    Death

SPD incident in front of a large audience.

They all happen :smiley:
  • Birth
    Tax
    Death

SPD incident in front of a large audience.

They all happen :smiley:

and you must get up as quick as you can whilst smiling at no one in particular. Do not make eye contact. Ride off at least 100 mtrs and say fuck it.
  • I was cycling home uphill a few years ago. The road was narrowed due to gas works and there was only room for one way traffic. A car decided I had no right of way and barrelled down forcing me to wobble to the side and stop. Which is when my feet got caught up in my toe straps and I slowly toppled to the left, fell against the temporary fencing that had been put up and then fell the other way as I struggled with my feet. So I'd fallen left and then right and then hit the ground.
    I got out of my straps of course on the ground bounced up remounted and squeezed past the car. The driver was having a really good laugh.
    So I know what to expect.
  • I'd have made sure I hit the bloody car as it went past, putting a decent dent/scratch in it....