Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• edited May 2015
    That's a lot for 25 miles a day.
  • You can get a really good road bike for a grand. However unless you're also using it for weekend riding and/or you really enjoy cycling as a hobby rather than just for commuting, it's a lot to spend
  • jamescafc said:

Would be interested to hear your views on the bike. Have just registered for the cycle to work scheme. Think I can select between a few retailers and looking to be spend about £1000. Cycle about 40kms per day so was thinking of going for a road bike.

I've only taken the new bike round the block so far (Boardman Hybrid Pro) and the gear changing is easy and I got a lot more return from less effort. The ride does feel a bit firm, but this is all compared to my old 'racer' bike with the gear levers on the frame and no doubt incorrectly inflated tyres.

Leroy - the one scratch they showed me is just something that has broken the paint on the fork. Fair play for them offering £50 off in my opinion.
  • edited May 2015
    Can anyone recommend a wheel builder in SE London?
    Or a good 32 or 36 spoke ready made wheel.
  • iainment said:

Can anyone recommend a wheel builder in SE London?
    Or a good 32 or 36 spoke ready made wheel.

Like everything else on a bike it depends on loads of different things - how much you want to spend, what you;re looking to ride it for/on, weight etc.

I'd recommend Vaidas Bicycles in Honor Oak/Forest Hill. WHen I was in Croydon they were my Local Bike Shop, despite being a good few miles away and having about five others to choose from far closer. Great service, the owner really knows what he's doing and he won't try and sell you shite you don't want/need. Pop in there and have a chat - if you give him an idea of what you;re after, he'll see you right
  • Thanks
  • Doing LEJOG this September, will be an ace experience i'm sure.
  • Can anyone recommend a decent gps device to track rides, performance etc?
  • jamescafc said:

Can anyone recommend a decent gps device to track rides, performance etc?

I use a Garmin 510, pretty good value for money unit, and the bundles with cadence monitor and Heart rate monitor are good.

• Sponsored links:

• Echo what Rothko says. The 810 is what I use, but I have maps loaded onto it for navigation too (510 only does rudimentary turn by turn). If you don't need maps, than the 510 will be fine - and the battery lasts a little bit longer too (though you won't do many rides longer than 14 hours, which is how long my 810 lasts)
  • Cheers guys and are there any decent local stores you'd recommend? Just got my cycle to work vouchers through and would rather spend it in a independent store rather than the likes of Evans and halfords. Looks like sidcup cycles has my vote so far
  • jamescafc said:

Cheers guys and are there any decent local stores you'd recommend? Just got my cycle to work vouchers through and would rather spend it in a independent store rather than the likes of Evans and halfords. Looks like sidcup cycles has my vote so far

Sidcup are ok if you want a Merida, they've really cut back on what they stock there. Most other stuff is 2-3 years old and not really discounted. Other thing to remember is that you won't get the discounted price if paying by cycle to work vouchers.

Not sure if you are planning on buying the Garmin with vouchers, but you won't be able to if you are. Its classified as a "racing" item and you won't be able to use the voucher to pay for it.

Bromley Bikes take the vouchers. Personally I've always found Cycles Uk pretty good. The one in Greenwich always has a decent choice.
  • Does your cycle to work scheme not restrict you to a specific retailer/retailers? I thought most of them did - though I guess employers may be different. All the ones I've been at (never uses it btw) have made you buy at either Halfords (eurgh) or Evans (double eurgh)

Also I'm pretty sure Clem is right - most schemes restrict 'accessories' to 'safety equipment' like hi-vis and lights
  • Anyone doing London to Brighton this week I leave Clapham at 6.30
  • jamescafc said:

Cheers guys and are there any decent local stores you'd recommend? Just got my cycle to work vouchers through and would rather spend it in a independent store rather than the likes of Evans and halfords. Looks like sidcup cycles has my vote so far

Sidcup are ok if you want a Merida, they've really cut back on what they stock there. Most other stuff is 2-3 years old and not really discounted. Other thing to remember is that you won't get the discounted price if paying by cycle to work vouchers.

Not sure if you are planning on buying the Garmin with vouchers, but you won't be able to if you are. Its classified as a "racing" item and you won't be able to use the voucher to pay for it.

Bromley Bikes take the vouchers. Personally I've always found Cycles Uk pretty good. The one in Greenwich always has a decent choice.
    Cycles uk Greenwich is excellent, good range of makes and staff are good too. They're also very good on the after sales.
    Got my diverge there, which is an excellent bike for commuting.
  • Bought a new set of carbon wheels for racing - Swiss Side Hadron 625. The difference at speeds over 20-22mph is ludicrous. Its almost like cheating. I used to think aero wheels were just something ponces put on to look and sound good - I didn't think they'd actually make much difference outside the pro/senior amateur level, but I was clearly wrong.

Only problem is trying to ride them in a crosswind. Almost got pulled across Chelsea Embankment and dumped into the Thames the other night :worried:
  • Got the train to Edith on Tuesday, and pootled along the Thames path as far as the Woolwich Ferry before I got lost, has intended to continue around Greenwich peninsular to Greenwich.
    Enjoyed it, mind you there was a bit of a pong by the sewage works, but a nice little journey, beautiful in an industrial fused with nature kind of way.
  • I've recently got into this cycling lark although you bike snobs will disagree it's the same thing. I Boris bike it from Northumberland Avenue to South Wharf Road every day via The Mall, Constitution Hill and Hyde Park. 5k each way. Love that when i get into work at 7.45am I've already done a mini work out. pb is 22 mins to work and 19 mins from work. Much quicker and more enjoyable than the tube. And I get a seat. sort of.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

Got the train to Edith on Tuesday, and pootled along the Thames path as far as the Woolwich Ferry before I got lost, has intended to continue around Greenwich peninsular to Greenwich.
    Enjoyed it, mind you there was a bit of a pong by the sewage works, but a nice little journey, beautiful in an industrial fused with nature kind of way.

That path crosses the ferry approach road then goes past the overflow car park and the old docks. It then turns into the housing estate for a bit and you come out by Clancy's pub. It then goes along the lower road a bit before in turns back in towards the Thames, past the old Thames Barrier pub. Just in case you do it again...
    You're right about the rich aromas along the way!
  • seth plum said:

Got the train to Edith on Tuesday, and pootled along the Thames path as far as the Woolwich Ferry before I got lost, has intended to continue around Greenwich peninsular to Greenwich.

I cycle from woolwich to erith along the Thames path and then on to rochester on ncn1 most weekends. It is a nice spin along the river.
    To get on the path further on you need to rejoin the river at the Thames barrier and then it's uninterrupted to Greenwich.
  • I've recently got into this cycling lark although you bike snobs will disagree it's the same thing. I Boris bike it from Northumberland Avenue to South Wharf Road every day via The Mall, Constitution Hill and Hyde Park. 5k each way. Love that when i get into work at 7.45am I've already done a mini work out. pb is 22 mins to work and 19 mins from work. Much quicker and more enjoyable than the tube. And I get a seat. sort of.

Any cycling is good, so if anyone judges just ignore them.
  • Thanks to Plumstead Micky and iainment for the info. Might go to the Thames barrier today and finish the journey, what happens in the Blackwell tunnel area, does the path simply continue riverside, or is it a diversion, and yes it was at Clancy's pub I got lost.
    I admit to owning a Brompton, so my adventures tend to be local and modest, anybody got any other suggestions for other local rides?
  • From the Thames barrier you go along the river past the Anchor & Hope, past the Greenwich Yacht club, under the cable car, around the O2, past the new golf driving range then a 150 yard bit which is a bit rutted and sandy so you have to be careful and then all the way to Greenwich. And now there is an extra bit with a new bridge that takes you over Deptford creek. The thames path stops about 200 yards past Deptford Creek but it resumes again about 1/4 mile further along and then you can cycle all the way to Tower bridge.
  • seth plum said:

Thanks to Plumstead Micky and iainment for the info. Might go to the Thames barrier today and finish the journey, what happens in the Blackwell tunnel area, does the path simply continue riverside, or is it a diversion, and yes it was at Clancy's pub I got lost.
    I admit to owning a Brompton, so my adventures tend to be local and modest, anybody got any other suggestions for other local rides?

I can't quite remember the Blackwall tunnel part, I think there is a pedestrian bridge with ramps over the approach road, then you get into Greenwich proper and past the Pelton Arms, the Cutty Sark and the power station.
    Look up Sustrans and their maps for route ideas. There is a national cycle route south from Greenwich down through Deptford, Lewisham and on to Elmers End and beyond. I'm also sure that you can order cycle maps for free from TFL to give you some more ideas.
  • seth plum said:

Thanks to Plumstead Micky and iainment for the info. Might go to the Thames barrier today and finish the journey, what happens in the Blackwell tunnel area, does the path simply continue riverside, or is it a diversion, and yes it was at Clancy's pub I got lost.

I can't quite remember the Blackwall tunnel part, I think there is a pedestrian bridge with ramps over the approach road, then you get into Greenwich proper and past the Pelton Arms, the Cutty Sark and the power station.
    Look up Sustrans and their maps for route ideas. There is a national cycle route south from Greenwich down through Deptford, Lewisham and on to Elmers End and beyond. I'm also sure that you can order cycle maps for free from TFL to give you some more ideas.
    You don't need to use that bridge anymore. The cycle path goes all the way around the O2.

Good on yer Suzi. I used them when they first appeared to get from Charing Cross to Victoria and they were much better than using the tube or bus. Won't use them where I presently work in Camden, the roads are akin to a demolition derby round here.

• From the Thames barrier you go along the river past the Anchor & Hope, past the Greenwich Yacht club, under the cable car, around the O2, past the new golf driving range then a 150 yard bit which is a bit rutted and sandy so you have to be careful and then all the way to Greenwich. And now there is an extra bit with a new bridge that takes you over Deptford creek. The thames path stops about 200 yards past Deptford Creek but it resumes again about 1/4 mile further along and then you can cycle all the way to Tower bridge.

Nice one Red, I'll have to do this route again. I went from Erith to Tower Bridge (some time ago) and back along the Thames on the other side crossing back to Greenwich via the foot tunnel. Great way to see London.
  • seth plum said:

You don't need to use that bridge anymore. The cycle path goes all the way around the O2.
    Spoiler alert! Was going to ride it on Sunday and discover it for myself!

;-)