Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• I may have just rewarded my London to Paris exploits with a new bike......

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Agree-C-62-SLT-Disc-2017-Road-Bike_97421.htm#

I'm rather excited about this.
  • That's a nice looking bike.

I've promised myself a new one once I reach 10,000km on my current bike.

Hoping to hit in in a few months so should be able to pick up a decent 2017 model in the sales
  • This of course means that my trusty Cannondale Supersix Evo will be upnfor sale sometime soon. Not sure what price I'll be looking at but would hope to get £500 - £600
  • Anyone use a garmin edge 810e?

I've been having trouble with the navigation side of it in that I can't seem to locate how to use postcode search anymore , it seems that unless I'm going mad the software has changed since I last used it.
  • I should've been doing the ride london 100 today but deferred as I'm not fit and wouldn't have enjoyed it. have rewarded my laziness by buying myself a new mountain bike
  • This of course means that my trusty Cannondale Supersix Evo will be upnfor sale sometime soon. Not sure what price I'll be looking at but would hope to get £500 - £600

I think your current bike looks much nicer than the one you are looking at getting. What size is it?

Disc brakes on road bikes just seems very wrong to me. Is it a trend that will continue?

I think your current bike looks much nicer than the one you are looking at getting. What size is it?

Disc brakes on road bikes just seems very wrong to me. Is it a trend that will continue?
    Yep. Performance is better, simple as that. Also, bike companies will use it as an excuse to sell you more shit.
  • rina said:

I should've been doing the ride london 100 today but deferred as I'm not fit and wouldn't have enjoyed it. have rewarded my laziness by buying myself a new mountain bike

Should have done it. It was great and the weather perfect, not too hot. Managed to complete the course in 5 hours 39 mins.

Not looking at getting. Got.

If you are a fan of the old one, you can always make me an offer.
  • IT_Andy said:

rina said:

I should've been doing the ride london 100 today but deferred as I'm not fit and wouldn't have enjoyed it. have rewarded my laziness by buying myself a new mountain bike

Should have done it. It was great and the weather perfect, not too hot. Managed to complete the course in 5 hours 39 mins.
    Went for an early morning ride up to London today to watch a bit and couldn't resist sneaking on and joining in. Managed to join at Tower Bridge and snuck off a few KM passed Knightsbridge
  • Sponsored links:

• jamescafc said:

If anyone fancies tracking @olster progress in the TCR, here is the link. He's race number is 209.

http://trackleaders.com/transconrace17f.php

He's also posting pictures and updates on both Twitter and Instagram.

T: @Sbmooco
    I: @omcoombs

Good luck Oli!

He's past checkpoint 1, and on his way to Italy. Nice tracking service.

Those look like evil ascents to the checkpoints.

Clem, you were supposed to hand the London to Paris sponsorship money over to the organisers! :smile:
  • I've just completed "ride the dragon" ......... and off roader from Myrthyr Tidfil South Wales to Mount Snowdon including riding (sort of) up to the summit and down.

190 odd miles 26,000 ft of climb over four days. Great fun !
  • jamescafc said:

If anyone fancies tracking @olster progress in the TCR, here is the link. He's race number is 209.

http://trackleaders.com/transconrace17f.php

He's also posting pictures and updates on both Twitter and Instagram.

T: @Sbmooco
    I: @omcoombs

Good luck Oli!

He's past checkpoint 1, and on his way to Italy. Nice tracking service.

Those look like evil ascents to the checkpoints.
    Yeah, they're not fucking about with the climbing are they! Hope he's going well. Sad news that one of the riders was killed yesterday, seems to be a never ending stream of bad news with these ultra distance events in the last couple of years :disappointed:

Clem, you were supposed to hand the London to Paris sponsorship money over to the organisers! :smile:
    Slightly concerned that you are about the 10th person to make that joke in the last 24hrs!!!
  • @olster you absolute legend. Only just noticed what you're doing. You absolute nutter lol. Full of admiration for a proper feat like that. Good luck with the rest of it!
  • rina said:

I should've been doing the ride london 100 today but deferred as I'm not fit

Doesn't stop most of those doing it.
  • Dazzler21 said:

rina said:

I should've been doing the ride london 100 today but deferred as I'm not fit

Doesn't stop most of those doing it.
    that is true but that's because most of them will never be any fitter so may as well do it. I'm hoping to be back to being properly fit, as a runner, by this time next year so may as well wait and do the 100 when I can actually enjoy it and do a decent time
  • Not a dig, just a statement on some of the absolute messes I saw doing it!
  • Dazzler21 said:

Not a dig, just a statement on some of the absolute messes I saw doing it!

Worse than that are the cheeky no hopers attempting to game the system for a fast time by lying about their expected finish time. Last year I lost count of the number of useless choppers who hadn't a hope of finishing inside 5 hours who had obviously put down a 4 hours 15 minute expected finish time and got a 6am start. I spent almost 80% of the fucking ride soloing up to, through, and past groups.

No issue with people doing it as a challenge - 100 miles isn't to be sniffed at even for a lot of regular club riders, but the only reason I did it was to try and get a fast time with a good working group of riders, but got nowhere near the faster working groups because I was realistic about my finishing time. Even getting out at 6:20 meant I had no chance of finishing inside 4:15, which was my target.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hate those people, you get them in both cycling and running... They royally pee me off! I have to work my way through waves of slower people just because I was realistic and honest about my pace...

You can always see who's going to do it too...
  • Had my London Marathon fucked up in 2007 thanks to those types!!

Set myself an honest time which meant I started further back, by the time I got the Isle of Dogs I was having to mess with my pace because I was having to time my running for gaps between the idiots just strolling down the middle of the road!!

Got to 18mile and hit the wall because my pacing went out the window thanks to them
  • I was in town yesterday, and you could tell how the ride went from quick to ropey as hell in the space of 90 minutes, from decent groups riding quickly, to your choppers who were struggling on Whitehall.

Couple of mates left at 7.30 and got round sub 6, and were livid with the behaviour of a lot of people riding yesterday
  • edited August 2017

Had my London Marathon fucked up in 2007 thanks to those types!!

Set myself an honest time which meant I started further back, by the time I got the Isle of Dogs I was having to mess with my pace because I was having to time my running for gaps between the idiots just strolling down the middle of the road!!

Got to 18mile and hit the wall because my pacing went out the window thanks to them

I've done both the London Marathon (2013) and Ride London this year, both events are aimed at raisng money for charties and not for gaining good times.

There are plenty of other marathons or cycling events where good times can be achieved but in saying that I couldn't run the marathon at a decent pace because of slow runners, which was probably my fault for a slow start.

Ride London was really enjoyable and started at 7.40am, rode solo and did plenty of overtaking. I just expected it and like a few large particpated charity events, it will always happen.

Having got annoid and arguing whilst running the London Marathon ( water bottles chucked right in front of me) and London to Brighton off road (people jumping a queue) this was something I was not doing for Ride London.

If your a very good cyclist then best to avoid attempting a good time, unless you get an early slot.
  • That's true - but that's what the early slots are for. There's even a club challenge, where cyclists from clubs who wish to ride it as a training event, or as a club - taking advantage of the rarity of closed roads through London. The issue is with people talking bollocks about their predicted finishing times and fucking it up for people who end up getting pushed to a later starting slot, defeating the object of the ride for many. Not really sure if there's a solution to be honest - other than maybe having a limited number of slots early on open just for people holding a BC/TLI race license
  • That's true - but that's what the early slots are for. There's even a club challenge, where cyclists from clubs who wish to ride it as a training event, or as a club - taking advantage of the rarity of closed roads through London. The issue is with people talking bollocks about their predicted finishing times and fucking it up for people who end up getting pushed to a later starting slot, defeating the object of the ride for many. Not really sure if there's a solution to be honest - other than maybe having a limited number of slots early on open just for people holding a BC/TLI race license

There is a way. Marathoners have to provide proof of qualification times for certain marathons worldwide. Same for London. To qualify for a good for age place, a championship place, whatever, you have to provide proof of times. That jumps you in front. If you aren't good enough, you start in the masses.

The same should apply for Ride London. Provide proof of times for previous races/sportives*. If you can provide proof, you go at the right time slot with people of similar ability. If not, you start with the masses at the back.

*general 'sportives are not a race' disclaimer applies ;)
  • IT_Andy said:

I've done both the London Marathon (2013) and Ride London this year, both events are aimed at raisng money for charties and not for gaining good times.
    Then why do they have time pens? Why do they allow non-charity runners? Why did this guy get a PB that made him faster than any british professional this year?

I just don't think people know or understand the distance, or get the middle 30 miles is hardwork for a lot of people. London Marathon could help this when people sign up, but don't. Having previous on the ride does change your start time, so I've gone from 8.45 in 2013, to a 7am start this year (fucking injury)

The bit for me on Ride London which is the problem, is there is no resilience in the route, especially once you go past Newlands Corner, one accident balls it up, or as was the problem on Sunday, is that the majority of those riding can't get up Leith. I would personally pull it from the route, and adapt the run in to London to find the miles.
  • edited August 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

IT_Andy said:

Then why do they have time pens? Why do they allow non-charity runners? Why did this guy get a PB that made him faster than any british professional this year?

Never heard about PB's but from what you said that is stupid. Like Leroy suggested, perhaps proof of times is needed for elite riders, so they get early slots but the organisers do emphasize
    its not a race.
  • Problem is, removing Leith removes the one 'challenge' on the route - the rest is either pan flat, or can be got up at about 15mph by even average club riders (Newlands, Box). Also, it isn't really easy to get out to Box (the only real reason the ride exists is to ride up Box Hill 'like in the Olympics') and keep it at 100 miles unless you chuck in a quick loop of Woking or go out to Guildford and back up to Newlands that way