Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Problem is, removing Leith removes the one 'challenge' on the route - the rest is either pan flat, or can be got up at about 15mph by even average club riders (Newlands, Box). Also, it isn't really easy to get out to Box (the only real reason the ride exists is to ride up Box Hill 'like in the Olympics') and keep it at 100 miles unless you chuck in a quick loop of Woking or go out to Guildford and back up to Newlands that way

It's also the biggest problem on route, by dropping it, you lose 10 mile I think, which you could make up with a loop out to Woking or Epsom. They could also make the 46 a bigger thing.

By all accounts it a phenomenally expensive event to put on, so if they could cut costs and make it flow better, then this might be the option.
  • Yeah - last year I could see why the bottleneck builds up there. Even getting to it before 9 there were hundreds of people walking up it - I was pleased I managed to weave round them all without having to clip out. Same at the Tour of Flanders with the Koppenberg. If they took it out and moved it to a loop round Woking or Guildford some fucker would nick some of my KOMs so I'm fervently against that... :lol:
  • This of course means that my trusty Cannondale Supersix Evo will be upnfor sale sometime soon. Not sure what price I'll be looking at but would hope to get £500 - £600

I think your current bike looks much nicer than the one you are looking at getting. What size is it?

Disc brakes on road bikes just seems very wrong to me. Is it a trend that will continue?
    Just noticed that you asked the size on the old one. Its a 56cm.
  • edited August 2017
    Has anyone come across the Bike channel, Channel 464. How long has that been going?

Just checked wiki. It started in Italy in 2013 and has been transmitted in the U.K. Since December 2015.
  • Has anyone come across the Bike channel, Channel 464. How long has that been going?

Just checked wiki. It started in Italy in 2013 and has been transmitted in the U.K. Since December 2015.

Some good stuff on there.
  • Thinking of cycling to the game Saturday, anyone know a safe place to leave my bike at or near the ground?
  • edited August 2017

Thinking of cycling to the game Saturday, anyone know a safe place to leave my bike at or near the ground?

There are sheffield racks at the entrance next to the superstore.
  • Thanks Danny
  • Sponsored links:

• olster said:

I'm bored of cycling

Hahaha

Sucks to be you then - you've still got about 2000KM to go!

Seriously - fantastic achievement so far, keep it up. You've got to set a target for me to aim at for the future so I can go for the CharltonLife TCR record :lol:
  • olster said:

I'm bored of cycling

If the tracking and the underlying map are accurate, it's pizza time in Lutschaun.
  • Anyone in South France next week, me and 12 mates are going to have a crack at the The Cinglés Club 3 x up Mt Ventoux. We are staying at Sault, which is the easiest assent. So doing the easiest first then malaucene and bedoin last.,......so it will be great to finish and find out we have beaten Bristol 6-1.
  • SESEVEN said:

Anyone in South France next week, me and 12 mates are going to have a crack at the The Cinglés Club 3 x up Mt Ventoux. We are staying at Sault, which is the easiest assent. So doing the easiest first then malaucene and bedoin last.,......so it will be great to finish and find out we have beaten Bristol 6-1.

Best of luck seseven
  • edited August 2017
    @SESEVEN - I did this in 2014...we did it in reverse to you...saved the easiest til last, when you need the legs... It's good fun but blimey it's a bleak place...we started at 6am in Bedoin, got our stamps and were at the top at about 7.45am, where it was freezing fog, howling wind and bitterly cold... Thawed out as we descended for b'fast but despite glorious weather all day at ground level, the weather at the top never changed...be prepared! Here's one of my mate's account of the day (needless to say I was about half an hour in front of him on each ascent! :-) ) https://lesveloistesgentils.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/ventoux-three-attempting-to-join-the-club-des-cingles/

Good luck!
  • Does anyone here ride a Giant Propel just thinking of getting one wondering what they are like
  • Bloke I race with has one. Unforgiving like all aero bikes, but he says his seems to be exceptionally so - more than the Venge he used to ride. Depends what you want it for I suppose - he's pretty quick on it, so if it's speed you're after it'll probably tick that box. Not sure I'd want to do a century on it mind - whereas I did 200 miles on my S5 the week after I bought it and it was fine
  • Just bought my first bike! Last one was a birthday present 20 years ago. The limit of my cycling ambition so far is following my six year old slowly along cycle paths and round the park, but you need to start somewhere. It's a second hand Apollo Evade... A Halfords jobbie, but the guy I bought it from services bikes so it's in good nick (or so I'm told). I've only ridden it once but it was a lot of fun! Question for now... Does the saddle ever stop cutting you in half?
  • Olster. Legend.
  • McBobbin said:

Just bought my first bike! Last one was a birthday present 20 years ago. The limit of my cycling ambition so far is following my six year old slowly along cycle paths and round the park, but you need to start somewhere. It's a second hand Apollo Evade... A Halfords jobbie, but the guy I bought it from services bikes so it's in good nick (or so I'm told). I've only ridden it once but it was a lot of fun! Question for now... Does the saddle ever stop cutting you in half?

Yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:

Just bought my first bike! Last one was a birthday present 20 years ago. The limit of my cycling ambition so far is following my six year old slowly along cycle paths and round the park, but you need to start somewhere. It's a second hand Apollo Evade... A Halfords jobbie, but the guy I bought it from services bikes so it's in good nick (or so I'm told). I've only ridden it once but it was a lot of fun! Question for now... Does the saddle ever stop cutting you in half?

Get some cheap padded cycling shorts.
  • ummm.

Funnily enough, within reason, the narrower the saddle the more comfortable it is. A wider saddle will cause severe chafing on the inside of your thighs and your perineum. To answer the original question, yes it will get 'easier' to ride a road saddle. You just need to get your arse cheek muscles and perineum used to it (like when you first start playing the guitar - until your fingers develop calluses they hurt like fuck, but once they're used to it you don't even notice)
  • Thanks folks. The inside of my thighs.stung quite a bit, but glad to hear it will get better. I'm sure I'll get the paste for riding... Just need to find the time!
  • McBobbin said:

Thanks folks. The inside of my thighs.stung quite a bit, but glad to hear it will get better. I'm sure I'll get the paste for riding... Just need to find the time!

Freudian slip there - you meant taste, but actually paste would help you! More specifically, chamois cream - available in a tub or tube. Sounds weird when you say it, but once you buy a decent pair of cycling shorts with a pad in them, don't wear underwear with them and put chamois cream on your nether regions. No chafing.
  • I certainly dispensed with underpants when running... Chafing will be the end of me
  • edited August 2017
    Hi, folks. I have been catching up on this thread over the past half-hour.
    Best wishes to @olster in his foreign endeavours.

Sadly, I shall not be attending tomorrow's opener at The Valley. As some of you will know, I am upset by what has gone on at CAFC and, although it might be a case of 'cutting off the nose to spite the face', I shall be continuing in my boycott.

Instead, I intend to ride to Herne Hill Velodrome to watch August's 'Open Season' meeting, hosted by CS Grupetto. Top Billing is the return of an old event - the Roadman's 25 miler. (That's 90 laps of the 450m circuit. Directions: Turn left, turn left, turn left...)

For those not attending at SE7 and who have the option of getting out, here are the details:
    hernehillvelodrome.com/grupettoopen/
  • Horsfield 9 and Charlton Charlie, cheers Gents. Yep currently pretty similar weather there at the moment, glorious sunshine 36° at the bottom but howelling at the top. COYR
  • My old Cannondale Supersix Evo is now on Ebay.

56 frame.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222603141397

Anyone interested feel free to inbox me.
  • ummm.

Funnily enough, within reason, the narrower the saddle the more comfortable it is. A wider saddle will cause severe chafing on the inside of your thighs and your perineum. To answer the original question, yes it will get 'easier' to ride a road saddle. You just need to get your arse cheek muscles and perineum used to it (like when you first start playing the guitar - until your fingers develop calluses they hurt like fuck, but once they're used to it you don't even notice)
    it's actually very comfortable, the best I've had. I haven't done any long distance on it but the initial 'feel' is good.