Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BEN HAMER

Comments

• Options
    Let's dig the keeper out one of the best in the championship I bet everyone digging him out has never played in goal in there life remind me how many shots we had today ? Without Kermo we don't even look like scoring hamer distribution is one of the best he is a good young keeper
    Alnwick is a good number 2 but hamer is head and shoulders above him.
    What we have in front of Ben isn't good enough club needs investment in the playing squad
    And with the owners not looking to put there money in to the team we will struggle
    Sordell he must be one of the highest paid players in the squad I'd rather have got macheda or sharp if I'm honest if kermo isn't fit nothing against piggy but I'd have started Marvin with churchy I'm not a fan also of 3-5-2 we look un balanced should have gone 4-4-2 to say started Stewart & Harriott lots of attacking pace going at the full backs play Jackson as a holding roll allowing Stephens to pull the strings

Team morale is low attendance was poor if no investors come in then you will have to look to offload solly I know best right back in the league but the club needs funds to bring fresh faces to the squad perhaps even Stephens who we all understand is home sick.

Let's hope we get what we all want championship survival
  • Options
    Apparently he got stick from our a fan in our crowd and told him to f off. If that is true, time for him to f-off. Decent keeper though.
  • Options
    He wernt happy with me telling him to retain possession after he booted the ball out of play for the 3rd time

But it was only his deliveries that were shit he had fuck all else to do
  • Options
    LOUD NOISES !!!!!
  • Options
    Agree with him, Hamer that is. Also heard Piggott slagged off big time, the Valley is getting back to the bad , not so old days, of players being scared to play there normal game. Equally pissed off as you today.
  • Options
    Pricks slagging of piggott aint got a clue about football all expect too much too soon

Hamer is different he aint a young kid he knows the game and needs to sort out his distribution
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hamer is a keeper that isn't far off being top class. The question is whether he has it in him to make the step or will he go backwards. If you asked me that question last season I would have said the former but I am starting to doubt it.

Now is an important stage of his career where he has to dedicate himself to his position and take in as much advice as he can get and really work on his weaknesses. Just speculating - but he may be a person who enjoys life a little bit to much to really focus on a difficult but achievable goal.
  • Options
    His distribution is a darn site better then Deano's (with two player of the years)
  • Options
    Sometimes his distribution looks bad because he is a bit too ambitious with it. I think he is one of the better Charlton keepers in terms of his distribution abilities.
  • Options
    I never have and probably never will be a hamer fan

But he wasn't at fault yesterday. Couple of times he looked for a quick pass and Wilson and wiggins weren't interested

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Hamer is a keeper that isn't far off being top class. The question is whether he has it in him to make the step or will he go backwards. If you asked me that question last season I would have said the former but I am starting to doubt it.

Now is an important stage of his career where he has to dedicate himself to his position and take in as much advice as he can get and really work on his weaknesses. Just speculating - but he may be a person who enjoys life a little bit to much to really focus on a difficult but achievable goal.

Too busy with his "banter"
  • Options
    nla, I don't think anyone has been slagging off Joe Pigott. As you say expecting too much too soon is I think yesterday the fault of SCP not the fans. Lad was out of his comfort zone so much it was painful but to his credit he didn't hide or shirk but that doesn't mask the fact he should have been withdrawn much earlier for the sake of the team and to protect him.
  • Options
    My beef with Ben Hamer is not particularly about his distribution it's about the times when he switches off and just scuffs the ball to anywhere. Often low and often to an opponent. He did it twice yesterday and he also mis controlled one in front of the Millwall fans much to his embarrassment. Agree with Muttley. He has all the potential but at this point is just too damned cocky to learn.
  • Options
    I heard it with my own ears shg and prob from the same dickwads who post on here

Its not he was out of depth he was just as poor as every other bstd gutless swine who pulled on that jersey
  • Options

I heard it with my own ears shg and prob from the same dickwads who post on here

Its not he was out of depth he was just as poor as every other bstd gutless swine who pulled on that jersey

Yes I heard people slagging off JP during the game but no more than the slagging every other player also got. Yesterday was a train crash from top to bottom and JP was as you suggest no worse than others but I do agree that this game would not have been my choice to give him his first real start and once it wasn't working I would have withdrawn him at HT. More to the point I am dumbfounded that SCP thought that a Joe Pigott and Simon Church pairing was a decent shout.

• Options
    Personally don't think he's good enough long term. Makes me nervous.
  • Options
    I have never liked him he is over rated and a cocky goal keeper that flaps to much I don't trust him and we need a new one as well as a midfield
  • Options
    Makes me laugh if people think his twitter account has anything to do with his football form
  • Options
    Not very confident in him tbh, gets beaten from distance too often, and his distribution which was excellent in L1 has gone downhill.
  • Options
    First thought he would be a club icon. His distribution when he joined was a revelation.

Now I have four concerns:

1. He does not command his area at set pieces well enough.

2. He is always looking for someone else to blame (ref, lino, own team-mates).

3. He sometimes gets beaten from distance and you wonder if he might have done better. Example was at Peterborough.

4, Dont like the tendency to argue with and harangue refs, prats that they may sometimes be.

I think he is still a good keeper but let's be frank, a lot of the time our defence has kept pressure off him. Look how many times on player marks it is said "didn't have much to do". Will he be that icon? I'm not so sure. He is not a Deano.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    His distribution was below par yesterday, but when your kicking it to the flanks and Wilson is missing headers and Wiggins is dawdling up the line with his back to Hamer, there's not a lot you can do. He's clearly been told by Powell to play to the flanks or roll it short to a centre back, it's hardly his fault if they then roll it straight back to him whilst he's under pressure. Good shot stopper, positional sense is great too, flaps at the odd corner but he's good enough, shame the rest of them aren't
  • Options
    He always looks up for it and plays with great enthusiasm which is more than can be said for the majority of the players lately. He's a good keeper, by no means the best we have had or indeed the best in this division at the moment .. but he is a bit more than OK .. stick with it Ben
  • Options
    Am not a huge fan, makes too many mistakes and too often causes problems with poor decision making.

Have not seen enough of Alnwick to suggest he is an improvement and after yesterday, we have worse problems than in goal.
  • Options
    cafcdan18 said:

Am not a huge fan, makes too many mistakes and too often causes problems with poor decision making.

Have not seen enough of Alnwick to suggest he is an improvement and after yesterday, we have worse problems than in goal.

Wise words

• Options
    One of the better players in our squad i think and is only a little touch away from being properly good. Everyone's just looking for a scapegoat for yesterday at the moment and every players getting smeared on this site atm for any and every reason.
  • Options
    I think he is very nervous and lacks self confidence with his string of poor performances, and he disguises this with arrogance.
  • Options
    Not up to the task I am afraid.

Arrogant - think he is better than he is

Not brave enough

Always getting beaten by long shots hence Millwall's shoot on sight tactics yesterday. Other teams can see it but apparently his supporters can't. That wonder Hudders goal. My honest view is it was two yards inside the post, Hamer was one yard off his line. How could it go over his head.

The players do not trust him either eg Morrison Scunthorpe away

• Options
    I remember Wilson shouting at him to sort it out a couple of times yesterday. I don't think his distribution is the biggest problem I think the defenders aren't confident in his decision making.
  • Options

I remember Wilson shouting at him to sort it out a couple of times yesterday. I don't think his distribution is the biggest problem I think the defenders aren't confident in his decision making.

Heard him screaming at him (I sit at the half way line in the East stand) effing and blinding at him. I don't think his defenders are confident in him, you're right, and I don't know if I can blame them sometimes. He tends to be quite flappy.
  • Options
    Keepers look good when they have a defence in front of them that looks strong, they look bad when they have a poor defence which is lacking in confidence .... which one do we have at the moment?

Hamer is a young keeper who is developing and is well beyond the peak, he'll get better and he will continue to make the odd mistake like all keepers.