Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BEN HAMER

Comments

• Options
    I thought our defence were ok yesterday. Morrison was shaky for the first couple of games but since then I think our defence has been quite strong.
  • Options
    And I'm not digging Hamer our I think when he's on form he is one of our best players but something has happened to him in the last 6 months. He's still young to be fair to him.
  • Options
    What did he do wrong yesterday? Looking at the marks it seems i have missed something.
  • Options

I thought our defence were ok yesterday. Morrison was shaky for the first couple of games but since then I think our defence has been quite strong.

Agree. They (Millwall) never actually looked like scoring but got the reward for actually daring to have a shot. We on the other hand were devoid of any threat throughout.

• Options

Also agree, I would say our defence is the area where we have the best depth in the whole squad, depending on your opinion of Evina.

Cort, Morrison, Dervite and (possibly) Wood all seem decent.

Solly with Wilson as cover is decent.

Wiggins with (possibly) evina is decent.

Midfield, almost everyone would agree looks weak even at full strength.

Forwards, as soon as Kermorgant is injured the alternatives seem worrying...

• Options
    Quick question.

What is it about his demeanour etc that makes him arrogant?

• Options
    His Amish beard
  • Options
    our team is worrying me at the moment, it is choping and changing all the time. problems are popping up everywhere. Hamer used to be my faourite player and i though he was great but now he is not playing great. forget selling button we should have sold hamer. anyways i think powell brought in alnwick because he realised hamer was getting cocky. bring him down a notch by dropping him. is it me or did stephens play rubbish again. cousins seems to have way more of an idea but doesn't play, yet pigott does. if this is our team without solly and kermo than we are screwed. dervite was amazing last year but has now regressed. id say the iwn against leicester was a false dawn. the team is still not ready. wiggins is decent, wilson is atleast getting in people's faces and trying stuff, same with jackson and stewart. morrison is playing well now, harriot is great. the team agaisnt burnley must have atleast 3 changes or we are doomed.
  • Options

I never have and probably never will be a hamer fan

But he wasn't at fault yesterday. Couple of times he looked for a quick pass and Wilson and wiggins weren't interested

Finally someone else who realises that you can only distribute quickly if other players give you an option....
  • Options
    Agreed len but on other occasions played a ball to quickly when retaining possession was more important and it went out of play or too far away from a red shirt
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does seem to get beaten by long shots more often than I ever remember Jeff Wood, Nicky Johns, Bob Bolder or Deano getting beaten. Don't like the way he sometimes doesn't seem to bother attempting to dive and watches the ball fly in.
  • Options
    I do not swear that often but for FUCKS sake.
    Hamer is a work in progress. He is improving year on year. He has a lot to learn but he has the winning mentality that I would like to see in all our players.
  • Options
    Hamer is the least of our concerns.
  • Options

Keepers divide opinion greatly.

The debate about Robbie rolled on here for years and now it is Hamer's turn.

My view is that his best recent spell was when he returned after last seasons game against the Spanners and being dropped made him respond positively.

We now have an experienced and competent deputy in Ben Alnwick,maybe it is time for Hamer to step aside again and hope that this will be the shock he needs. It worked last season.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Also agree, I would say our defence is the area where we have the best depth in the whole squad, depending on your opinion of Evina.

Cort, Morrison, Dervite and (possibly) Wood all seem decent.

Solly with Wilson as cover is decent.

Wiggins with (possibly) evina is decent.

Midfield, almost everyone would agree looks weak even at full strength.

Forwards, as soon as Kermorgant is injured the alternatives seem worrying...

I think Wiggins has been far from decent this season.
  • Options

Now is an important stage of his career where he has to dedicate himself to his position and take in as much advice as he can get and really work on his weaknesses. Just speculating - but he may be a person who enjoys life a little bit to much to really focus on a difficult but achievable goal.

I remember an interview Danny Green did a while back when he was asked who the best and worst trainers at the club were. Green said Hamer was the worst and that he basically just mucks around in training and does not take it seriously. May or may not be true but did come straight from a team mate's mouth.

• Options
    Not the most amazing player, but he's not the problem.
  • Options
    Hamer twice picked out Wiggins in space with quick accurate passes. How many opposition goalkeepers have better distribution?

Questioning attitude and maturity fine but he claimed every cross yesterday, made a good save and was unlucky with the goal. If the percentage for finding a red shirt per kick was calculated I bet it wouldn't be that bad.

Why do hamer, Stephens and Wiggins constantly get stick on here when . Others can't do wrong, Stephens won more tackles and made more passes than Pritchard and Jackson yesterday but he still gets abuse. Wiggins played out of position and has more to offer than Evina. Hamer is our best keeper but maybe instead of being Mr nice, Powell should be harsh on him and keep him level he
  • Options
    Todd nail on head number two we saw the same game
  • Options

Two posts and two agreements from you, you are my new bestow for life!

Going for the hatrick, £2.70 for a sausage roll in the ground!! As scandalous as Pritchard passing yesterday!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Two posts and two agreements from you, you are my new bestow for life!

Going for the hatrick, £2.70 for a sausage roll in the ground!! As scandalous as Pritchard passing yesterday!!
    Todds that is outrages I payed £2.70 for 4 sausage rolls from Greggs on Friday
  • Options
    "Ben Hamer has stopped developing because he thinks he's already there"

"Ben Hamer has too much arrogance"

Always makes me laugh how some seem to make such assumptions based on watching a bloke standing in a goal from sitting in a stadium. If he was a perfect keeper then he wouldn't be playing for Charlton.

He's been very good for us on the whole. We had the same moaning this time last year, and when he was dropped for Button, the same moaners couldn't wait to get him back in!
  • Options
    Hamer is okay - we could do a lot worse.
  • Options

I think hamer has reached a point where he needs to think more about his distribution and work on it

He gave the ball away and slowed us down at times and played the ball too fast in other situations

He done everything else fine and to have an arrogant keeper is good

could not agree more.
  • Options

I think hamer has reached a point where he needs to think more about his distribution and work on it

He gave the ball away and slowed us down at times and played the ball too fast in other situations

He done everything else fine and to have an arrogant keeper is good

could not agree more.
    Arrogance is one thing. Blinkeredness (if there is such a word) is another. Ever seen him hold his hands up and say "Sorry, my bad!"? It's always someone else's fault with him. I have no problem with him bollocking his defenders or anyone else if they have cocked up but not from someone who won't accept any blame if they do the same thing.
  • Options
    Hamer is not our biggest problem. We are a mid-low Championship side so our keeper is not going to be completely perfect I'm afraid. He didn't do much wrong on Saturday, wasn't at fault for the goal.

Agree that his distribution is not as good as it was, and we have seen him concede a few suspect goals from range.

However his arrogance is not necessarily a bad thing for a keeper, as long as he uses it in the right way. He is still young and will only get better.

He could probably do with a spell on the bench, but we all said that last season after he conceded a couple from distance, Button came in & let in a 45 yard free kick against Millwall!
  • Options

Hamer is not our biggest problem. We are a mid-low Championship side so our keeper is not going to be completely perfect I'm afraid. He didn't do much wrong on Saturday, wasn't at fault for the goal.

Agree that his distribution is not as good as it was, and we have seen him concede a few suspect goals from range.

However his arrogance is not necessarily a bad thing for a keeper, as long as he uses it in the right way. He is still young and will only get better.

He could probably do with a spell on the bench, but we all said that last season after he conceded a couple from distance, Button came in & let in a 45 yard free kick against Millwall!

My point is that after that spell on the sidelines Hamer looked superb and was a key man in our late season surge,so it worked out well for him and us in the end.

Is Alnwick a better Keeper than Button was?There is only one way to find out.
  • Options
    Regardless he don't half moan and groan a lot he may be a good keeper, although I am not convinced as he flaps a lot, but he does come across as a big tart! Sorry he just does.
  • Options
    Has CharltonBoy calmed down yet? He was scaring me with those big letters!
  • Options
    Did the likes of Peter Schmeichel ever hold his hands up and say "sorry"? Not really - and it doesn't really matter.

Did moaning at the ref ever stop the likes of Scott Wagstaff and John Robinson working their nuts off and giving it 100% to try and improve their game for as long as they could? No.