Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BEN HAMER

124»

Comments

• Options
    I get wound up with the people who seem to find it a requirement to single out a player to give stick to. Be it the idiot behind me during a few games of the L1 winning season who would make inane comments about Cort and Pritch, or those who enjoy doing it to Hamer.

Against Leicester I moved back a few rows as the guy beside me wouldn't relent on shouting unfathomable crap at him. When Hamer did pull of some truly brilliant saves he just went quiet, not even the decency for a quick "That's more like it", or even an acknowledgement to his mate. I relished the Ben Hamer song being sung shortly after. (At the risk of going off on a tangent, his son also appeared to be the spawn of satan; I tried to tone down any of my outbursts as his kid was nearby, but his kid (about 8 or 9) was putting to me to shame at some points.)

Unfortunately that's not the first time I've wanted to move because I've been surrounded by muppets either.

I sat in North Lower with a broken toe (didn't want to risk the stairs up to the NU) back in January and had to endure similar rubbish, and although Hamer wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders back in Jan - I just found it pathetic that Hamer could be doing -nothing- wrong and still draw in abuse from people about 10 yards behind him. The guys were even shouting about how "shit and gay" his beard looked - this coming from two blokes who looked like they'd just left an explosion at a clothing stall based at a comic book convention, and sounded like they'd just left one too.

Sometimes it seems as though people go to these games purely to have a bit of a reciprocal-jerk with their friends over what they can shout at their least favourite players. I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of doing it, it's just an observation I've come to recently.

If you're one of those "fans" then please zip it shut - it's not like we'll miss anything if you refrain from opening your mouth, as generally those who take the most joy from yelling idiotic comments are the ones who take the least joy in singing and providing anything of value to the atmosphere of a game. Case in point; early leavers against the likes of Cardiff and the second half off the Notts game during the L1 season.

Oh, and I can assure you that stern looks were handed out to both of the guilty parties mentioned above... ;)
  • Options
    Hamer is out of contract at Charlton at the end of the season and has yet to be agree a new deal to extend his stay at The Valley.

The news has alerted a number of clubs to Hamer's possible availability on a free transfer in the summer.

The 26-year-old has impressed at Charlton since joining the club from Reading in the summer of 2011 and has established himself as one of the best young keepers outside the Premier League.

The likes of West Brom, Fulham, Leicester and Burnley are all thought to be keeping tabs on Hamer as they weigh up moves for the athletic shot-stopper in the summer.
  • Options
    as I said on the andy ansah thread with 20 or more players soon out of contract roland needs to get his finger out the poachers are getting ready
  • Options
    Maybe the time has come for some of those out of contrcat players to go - as long as there is a coherant plan to replace them - which is something I am less confident about!
  • Options
    We need to hang on to Hamer, he's a good Championship keeper. Target of the boo boys but well worth his place
  • Options
    He will go .........no way will we keep him if we go down
  • Options
    Gotta soft spot for the fella and a better keeper than the majority of us give him credit for. Will be Charlton's loss if they lose him on a free in the summer
  • Options
    I'm not convinced by him gets beaten at range far too often, but he's a better option than Thuram so he's our number one till the end of the season.

I have no doubt Roland will loan us Ujpest's\Bari's\that Spanish clubs 2nd/3rd choice keeper in the summer so we won't miss him.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I've watched Barnsley's 2nd goal a dozen times & have come to the conclusion that Hamer was very unlucky.

Hamer was positioned to take the ball about chest height & it certainly looked the right decision, as the ball left the Barnsley player's foot.

I can only assume the ball must have deflected off of Solly & looped up over Hamer.

The ball went so quickly, I can't be sure, but that is my take on it.

NB I just read Tom Kennedy the Barnsley player saying it was a cross that hit a bobble.
  • Options
    When then does he duck?

If it took a bobble or a deflection then why didn't Hamer even lift his hands to block it?

He messed up big time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never his fault merchant.
  • Options
    He messed up in the lead up to their second goal. He came out too far and took up a very poor position to receive the ball back from the defender (Wood?). He had to take the ball on his right foot and conceded the throw from which they set up the goal. All round, he was pretty poor in his judgement when coming off his line on Tuesday night and got it wrong 3 or 4 times.
  • Options
    Like the beard
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Like the beard

I'll have you know THAT beard saved the penalty at Elland Road....

BTW When did we last have a penalty ?

• Options

Like the beard

WARNING: This is what happens when you let your wife near your computer without logging out! At least I know what look to go for to get some nooky this Easter!
  • Options
    edited April 2014

When then does he duck?

If it took a bobble or a deflection then why didn't Hamer even lift his hands to block it?

He messed up big time

Hamer ducked/took a position to take the ball to his chest, which looked correct.

The intended cross hit a bobble and Kennedy was about to put his hands on his head as he'd ballsed up. However, the ball took a bobble and looped up and over Hamer.(according to their player).

I'm not saying Hamer was great, but he was unlucky.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11713/9269339/sky-bet-championship-barnsley-match-winner-tom-kennedy-grateful-to-bobble
  • Options
    It only lopped over him because he ducked.

If he sticks his hands over his head he stops the ball.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9268543/charlton-1-2-barnsley

I still thinked he ducked/crouched to collect the ball at chest height.

But for me the ball deflected off Solly and looped up over his head, before he could react.
  • Options
    Just watched that half a dozen times and really can't see anyone other than Hamer to blame. Even if it did take a deflection, which I'm not convinced about, Hamer only needed not to duck and it goes straight at him.
  • Options
    The ball isn't moving that fast.

It's not that Hamer doesn't have time to react he chooses not to react. He has misjudged the ball and doesn't do the basic thing of bringing his hands up.

Just look at how the defenders react. They know Hamer has ballsed up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Better get the french geezer in then,then you can slag him tomorrow. Ben Hamer is much the better keeper, passing out much improved and did'nt he save a penalty recently.
  • Options
    cblock said:

Better get the french geezer in then,then you can slag him tomorrow. Ben Hamer is much the better keeper, passing out much improved and did'nt he save a penalty recently.

Agreed... Lets all sign Yohann Thuram Charlton's number one tomorrow!!

Wasnt just the Leeds game Hamer won for us but the Forest one two if you remember some of his saves... fickle bunch of so called supporters
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yes Hamer was at fault. But I still think he was a shade unlucky.

The ball was not heading upwards & Hamer was positioning himself accordingly.

The ball hit a bobble according to their player and Hamer couldn't/didn't change from a downward moving position to an upward moving position.

I saw similar last year in cricket, when a ball was heading downwards & the wicketkeeper started to "go" accordingly, only to be wrong footed by a misplaced shot sending the ball upwards.

Yes, Hamer could have done better, but yes he was unfortunate and made to look foolish.
  • Options
    Inconsistent, cocky and replaceable.

" When he was good he was very very good, but when he was bad he was horrid!"
  • Options

What's fickle about saying he made an horrendous mistake?

It's not a black and white world where you have to either love or hate a player.

He does well in some games and badly in others.

He saves penalties and points at Leeds and misses soft cross and costs points v Barnsley.

Would rather have Alnwick but that's not an option.

If Thuram had ducked out of the way of the ball the way Hamer did you would be crucifying him.

So we're in a predicament so the best way forward is to get on the players backs and hound them for every little mistake... Footballers are human and are going to make mistakes so why should we pick up on every little one that a player does

I dont crucify players never have never will my first sentence in this post clears that as had you been next to me at Barnsley whilst the fans were booing and criticizing everything Harriott did for example I was shouting at him to keep his head up, not to lose confidence and to learn from what he did wrong
  • Options
    Come on.

I'm not "hounding" him. Me and CE are discussing his error.

It wasn't a "little" mistake either. It was a huge game and perhaps season defining mistake.

You say you don't crucify players but you were happy to dig out Thuram when it was Hamer's mistake.
  • Options
    That's the thing with Hamer, he wins us the points at Leeds and then let's soft goals in against Yeovil, Barnsley and Brighton

It's the consistency and concentration that infuriates me but that's probably why we are in the bottom 4 he isn't the only one.

When he came back in the side the concentration was spot on but he slips back into the old ways too easily

He is the best we currently have though so hope he plays well today