Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How far can england go in Brazil 2014?

Comments

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

English people in England aren't allowed to get too excited about big competitions or TalkSport will do a phone-in about the over confident English, then all the sweaty socks and paddy's (living in England) call in moaning about us going on about it.

It is "paddies" in English.

As a sweaty sock living in London I've alway enjoyed the massive overconfidence that accompanies an English qualification (we've only got 8 world class players, we'd be happy with the semi finals). It's got a lot more realistic over the last few years unfortunately, but I still imagine there will be plently hilarious over excitement. Before the last world cup the Sun did an "analysis" of the best player in each position. They reckoned five of them were English. I'm not sure there's ever been a team that has had the five best players, the last England squad had one at most, more likely nil. And the last World Cup was probably the one with the most realistic expectations. That's why outsiders view the whole car crash with amusement/irritation.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

BIG_ROB said:

English people in England aren't allowed to get too excited about big competitions or TalkSport will do a phone-in about the over confident English, then all the sweaty socks and paddy's (living in England) call in moaning about us going on about it.

As a sweaty sock living in London I've alway enjoyed the massive overconfidence that accompanies an English qualification (we've only got 8 world class players, we'd be happy with the semi finals). It's got a lot more realistic over the last few years unfortunately, but I still imagine there will be plently hilarious over excitement. Before the last world cup the Sun did an "analysis" of the best player in each position. They reckoned five of them were English. I'm not sure there's ever been a team that has had the five best players, the last England squad had one at most, more likely nil. And the last World Cup was probably the one with the most realistic expectations. That's why outsiders view the whole car crash with amusement/irritation.
    I agree Morts , but at least we're there! :-0

By the way , i want all the 'British' teams to do well , and wished they'd all qualified as its far more interesting.

• Options
    Was just looking at who else has qualified. Can only hope we get the might international powerhouses of Iran, Bosnia-Herzawossname and Honduras!
  • Options
    Bosnia are decent. I wouldnt underestimate them.

Agree with Morts points, but anyone that knows about English football would have us as a QF standard side. The people that go over the top and think we can win it are the ones that get all excited at a major tournament and you wont hear from them again until the next one.
  • Options
    England played a lot better yesterday. There was some nice pace around the team. Passing was good. It would be big mistake to start any England will win the world cup hype, as they are QF material at best.

The additional pressure is not needed for the players either. The team played without fear for the most part yesterday. If they can play like that, they will be enjoyable to watch in the World Cup. Too high expectations will not help at all.

England supporters should try and enjoy the moment.
  • Options
    Teams that have definitely qualifed so far:

Australia, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Switzerland, England, Spain, Russia, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Costa Rica, United States, Honduras, Argentina, Brazil (hosts), Colombia, Ecuador and Chile.
  • Options
    I hope we are in a group with the Aussies, they are shite!
  • Options
    I have always thought that Hodgson was underated, but it was a shame to watch him anticipating the fate of becoming an umbrella carrying turnip. Personally I rate him much more highly than most of the journalists in this country.
  • Options
    happy getting to the knock out stages.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I have always thought that Hodgson was underated, but it was a shame to watch him anticipating the fate of becoming an umbrella carrying turnip. Personally I rate him much more highly than most of the journalists in this country.

Was pleased for him too. At least it'll keep Redknapp's smug journo mates off his back until next summer at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

Missed my point completely there, but cheers for the spelling correction pal
  • Options
    Knocked out by Germany on penalties...Guaranteed!
  • Options
    struggle through the group, knocked out next round
  • Options
    Granpa said:

and Ray Lew is a top coach too, under-rated and a good, decent guy. Congrats mate, you deserve it.

• Options
    Better to be over excited, than to be sitting at home with no excitement at all I suppose.
  • Options
    I said in the original post that the world cup could be more unpredictable then we are used to seeing from England in final tournaments, nothing about actually winning. Unpredictable leaves it more open to the imagination.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

This. Our defence might not be world class on paper but we are hard to beat. We pick up draws when playing badly or under par. An important asset to have.

Italy can't feel great at the moment they drew 2-2 at home last night to Armenia.

Drew with Italy at the Euro's, drew in Brazil in the summer, beat Belgium at wembley last year, Uruguay are poor apart from Suarez and Cavani. Portugal and/or France might not even be there. Mexico are awful.

On our day, not many sides will beat us. We hardly ever lose and aside from 2010 we nearly always go out on penalties. As poor as everyone says we are, if we were good at penalties we'd have reached a world cup final, a Euro final and 2-3 semi finals since 1990.

Spain, Argentina and Germany are the only sides i'd say would comfortably beat us.

Can't believe that drawing with Italy at the Euros has been listed as a credible result, Italy outplayed England so much is was embarrassing should have been 3-0. As for last night they qualified with 2 games to spare! Hardly any of the regulars played. Brazil showed in the Confederations Cup that they are going to be strong with massive home field advantage, Spain and Germany will be there, Belgium will do well but as said lack of experience may go against them. France is probably a bit of an unknown but surely will do better after their recent tournament and you can group Argentina and Holland along with them. Portugal always seem to do well and another team to watch that's not been mentioned is Chile think they will do well.

Add at least Italy and Brazil to that list.
  • Options
    Italy qualified early more down to the other teams in their group beating each other rather than complete dominance. Their record was the same as Englands.
  • Options
    From 3rd in the group to the QFs, all depends on our draw.
  • Options

Italy qualified early more down to the other teams in their group beating each other rather than complete dominance. Their record was the same as Englands.

Fair point, but still very very good team top 4 in the World IMO with Spain and Brazil ahead of them and I'd say level with Germany.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Dave2l said:

This. Our defence might not be world class on paper but we are hard to beat. We pick up draws when playing badly or under par. An important asset to have.

Italy can't feel great at the moment they drew 2-2 at home last night to Armenia.

Drew with Italy at the Euro's, drew in Brazil in the summer, beat Belgium at wembley last year, Uruguay are poor apart from Suarez and Cavani. Portugal and/or France might not even be there. Mexico are awful.

On our day, not many sides will beat us. We hardly ever lose and aside from 2010 we nearly always go out on penalties. As poor as everyone says we are, if we were good at penalties we'd have reached a world cup final, a Euro final and 2-3 semi finals since 1990.

Spain, Argentina and Germany are the only sides i'd say would comfortably beat us.

Can't believe that drawing with Italy at the Euros has been listed as a credible result, Italy outplayed England so much is was embarrassing should have been 3-0. As for last night they qualified with 2 games to spare! Hardly any of the regulars played. Brazil showed in the Confederations Cup that they are going to be strong with massive home field advantage, Spain and Germany will be there, Belgium will do well but as said lack of experience may go against them. France is probably a bit of an unknown but surely will do better after their recent tournament and you can group Argentina and Holland along with them. Portugal always seem to do well and another team to watch that's not been mentioned is Chile think they will do well.

Add at least Italy and Brazil to that list.

I mentioned the italy draw as an example of a top side failing to beat us. We are hard to beat.

France have to qualify first.
  • Options
    Let football be football and don't write us off until the tournament has actually started. Strange things happen in football...Celtic beating Barcelona, Bradford making the capital one cup final after beating 3 premier league sides, Chelsea winning the champions league with a caretaker manager beating Barcelona over two legs in the semi and Munich in the final.
    Luck comes into those stories...but heart and passion was what carried those teams. Those underdog victories are only recent years too. There are plenty more.

England have not properly had the heart and passion (for reasons listed) over the last ten years it was all just deluded nonsense, but with less egos in the side along with no more baffling expectation, it could be different.

• Options

Dave2l said:

Can't believe that drawing with Italy at the Euros has been listed as a credible result, Italy outplayed England so much is was embarrassing should have been 3-0.

But it wasn't. Tournaments are a results based business, and the truth is we were a couple of penalty kicks away from beating Italy.

The same can be said about 1990, 1996, 1998, 2004 and 2006. It really is amazing how close we have been to getting to Semis and to Finals had it not been for penalty kicks.

To this day I still maintain that we would have won Euro '96 had it not been for that Southgate miss.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

To this day I still maintain that we would have won Euro '96 had it not been for that Southgate miss.

At least he had the guts to take the penalty. Paul "The Guv'nor" Ince was doing his very best to become invisible in the centre circle at that point.

• Options
    Gazza missed the easiest chance of the whole tournament. Should never have gone to pens!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    True, even when I see that footage now of Gazza's miss, part of me still thinks its going to go in. Seemed easier to miss.

Not to mention the other chance where our player laying down on the floor managed to hook it onto the post.

I recall that tournament being the first time I ever had that nail shredding fan experience with Football. I was only 8 at the time, and I balled my eyes out when we lost those penalties!
  • Options
    We're gonna win one, lose one, draw the easy one, scrape into the knockout stage and then go out on penalties again :-)
    http://t.co/GAoUTUoObm
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

I don't get the expectation of being a world cup winning side. Just because we invented the game doesn't give us some god-given right to beat the rest of the world. If we get to the last 8 I think it would be a major achievement. Winning it is just unrealistic.

If we get to the last 8 then we have a big chance. The biggest oppo will no doubt be the heat- I always think that's why Latin countries (inc Spain) pass endlessly.

My gripe is the countless yobos and phoney England fans who come out during the world cup. Much prefer club football, even though I love my country.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Dave2l said:

Can't believe that drawing with Italy at the Euros has been listed as a credible result, Italy outplayed England so much is was embarrassing should have been 3-0.
    But it wasn't. Tournaments are a results based business, and the truth is we were a couple of penalty kicks away from beating Italy.

The same can be said about 1990, 1996, 1998, 2004 and 2006. It really is amazing how close we have been to getting to Semis and to Finals had it not been for penalty kicks.

Contradicted yourself from start to finish.

If you say that it's a results based business then England still lost those matches... So I don't quite get your point.

Your claim that on our day not many teams can beat us, I disagree. I think Spain, Italy, France, Germany, holland, Brazil, Argentina would definitely beat us. I think Portugal and Belgium probably would too. Mexico (as its in SAmerica), Colombia, Chile would also give us a good match that could go either way. So I think everyone is getting carried away again.

I support England whatever, but I agree with forzajuve that it was embarrassing to watch us lose to Italy in the Euros. I think this tournament will be a bit more exciting as we have a bit more heart in the team. Less expectation is exactly what we need and that is why this thread needs a level head like mine. Everyone need to calm down, have a beer, and just enjoy supporting the three lions like we do Charlton.
  • Options
    It does make me laugh,
    Rizzo said:

I don't get the expectation of being a world cup winning side. Just because we invented the game doesn't give us some god-given right to beat the rest of the world. If we get to the last 8 I think it would be a major achievement. Winning it is just unrealistic.

With an attitude like that, why even bother getting on the pissing plane?