Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How far can england go in Brazil 2014?

12346»

Comments

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

Well put it this way pal, weirder things have happened. And if the worst does happen and we do well, I garantee most of you neighsayers will be in the boozer jumping on the bandwagon. England have let us all down in the past, but who know what will happen next year? Ffs

I don't think we will win it Rob, but your point is spot on. I think there are several people on here would love to see England fail so they can say "I told you so". Their egos are more important to them than the happiness of the nation's football fans.
    Can't speak for anyone else, but the question was about our expectations, and realistically, we're unlikely to win it. Of course I hope that we do, but if we stagger through the group stage and then go out on penalties I'll shrug and say "oh well" rather than acting like it's a national tragedy. And if we win, I'll be as happy as anybody - happier probably, cos they'll have wildly exceeded what I expected. The triumph of hope over expectation is part of what being a football fan is all about, isn't it?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Dave2l said:

Club/country favouritism would be more of an open debate for me if our England team wernt so stupidly overpaid and hyped up.

Never turn your back on your country I love world cups etc to death but Charlton is Charlton and will always be number one whatever state we are in.

Looks like we are about to finish the job at Blackburn!

I presume you still wanted Charlton to win every game and do well when Dowie and Pardew had the biggest load of overpaid shite in our history??

We had plenty of players that played for a pound note rather than the shirt.

I think it's too easy for people to roll out that line.

Love the three lions whoever is wearing the shirt, just like cafc.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

BIG_ROB said:

Well put it this way pal, weirder things have happened. And if the worst does happen and we do well, I garantee most of you neighsayers will be in the boozer jumping on the bandwagon. England have let us all down in the past, but who know what will happen next year? Ffs

I don't think we will win it Rob, but your point is spot on. I think there are several people on here would love to see England fail so they can say "I told you so". Their egos are more important to them than the happiness of the nation's football fans.
    Can't speak for anyone else, but the question was about our expectations, and realistically, we're unlikely to win it. Of course I hope that we do, but if we stagger through the group stage and then go out on penalties I'll shrug and say "oh well" rather than acting like it's a national tragedy. And if we win, I'll be as happy as anybody - happier probably, cos they'll have wildly exceeded what I expected. The triumph of hope over expectation is part of what being a football fan is all about, isn't it?
    Don't quite get why you quoted my post to make that point ali, but I have to say I agree with you.
  • Options
    We keep giving the ball away but we try things. We're either going to get completely hammered by the better teams or see great games of football against them. Either way I'd prefer that than limping out on penalties.
  • Options

Dave2l said:

Club/country favouritism would be more of an open debate for me if our England team wernt so stupidly overpaid and hyped up.

Never turn your back on your country I love world cups etc to death but Charlton is Charlton and will always be number one whatever state we are in.

Looks like we are about to finish the job at Blackburn!

I presume you still wanted Charlton to win every game and do well when Dowie and Pardew had the biggest load of overpaid shite in our history??

We had plenty of players that played for a pound note rather than the shirt.

I think it's too easy for people to roll out that line.

Love the three lions whoever is wearing the shirt, just like cafc.
    I'm not saying it's as simple as how much someone gets paid whether you like them or not. It's the difference of our England team as players (not as much now) having an almost celebrity status.

JFH will go down in history as one of charltons worst players for a number of reasons but he is one of few and doesn't even need to be associated with Charlton anymore.

• Options

I think that we have got the weakest collection of individual players in my lifetime, but the best manager. What will happen in Brazil is anyone's guess but I think that where we get drawn will prove to be more important than who we get drawn against. And the winner will be from Brazil, Argentina or Germany.

Wow! Does that include Carlton Palmer and Lee Carsley? ;-)

• Options

I think that we have got the weakest collection of individual players in my lifetime, but the best manager. What will happen in Brazil is anyone's guess but I think that where we get drawn will prove to be more important than who we get drawn against. And the winner will be from Brazil, Argentina or Germany.

No. I said the weakest collection of individuals, not the weakest individual. I think only Gerrard would possibly get into one of the Big Five's (Italy, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Brazil) teams.
  • Options
    Why are Italy rated in your top 5? There qualifying was same record as us in a very similar standard of group.
  • Options
    There is quality in the squad and in high volume. Some players are a little more average then we are used to (cough) James Milner but, if played the right way and to our strengths, we can be very effective at the world cup.
  • Options
    England will win the World Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It will happen and the nation will go berserk.
  • Options

No. I said the weakest collection of individuals, not the weakest individual. I think only Gerrard would possibly get into one of the Big Five's (Italy, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Brazil) teams.

Hahahahah don't make me laugh. Gerrard getting into those teams. Hahahahhaha. I need a lay down.
  • Options
    The only one of those teams Gerrard would have even a prayer of getting into is Italy - and even then only if Pirlo got lost on the way back from the pension office. The only player who is world class is Cole.

However, that doesn't mean England can't do well - Greece won the European championships with a frankly shite team playing frankly atrocious football.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I am a correct forecaster and I have given the same in other areas so be attentive and you can make a lot of money.

money.
  • Options
    I wonder how many including The Board will get this.................Ha Ha
  • Options
    advice is available terrymarcoons@gmail.com but its not free.........but

well worth it for those who know...........
  • Options

I'll take your Palmer & Carsley and raise you:

Bentley (7 Caps, 0 goals)
    Wright-Phillips (36,6)
    Downing (34, 0)
    Dyer (33,0)
    Wise (21,1).

;-)

• Options

advice is available terrymarcoons@gmail.com but its not free.........but

well worth it for those who know...........

Shouldn't these posts be on the "Being drunk" thread?
  • Options

The only one of those teams Gerrard would have even a prayer of getting into is Italy - and even then only if Pirlo got lost on the way back from the pension office. The only player who is world class is Cole.

However, that doesn't mean England can't do well - Greece won the European championships with a frankly shite team playing frankly atrocious football.

What ahead of Pirlo, De Rossi, Marchisio, Montolivo and players coming through like Verratti... No chance.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Yes, there is always the argument that if Greece can do what they did, England certainly can. Difficult to argue with that and the answer is probably that England can certainly win the world cup if everything goes their way and they defend very well, but it is not a likely outcome. Spain, Germany, Brazil, Argentina and even Italy are all well ahead of England in terms of likliehood to achieve this!

I think it would be a good thing if we go into this one with low expectations! It may take some pressure of the players for a start!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like repetitive nonsense in a way but...

In reference to Greece they won the Euro fair and square it was all about heart, organisation and belief.

If England have that feeling above other teams along with a bit of luck....we can win the world cup.