Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How far can england go in Brazil 2014?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2013
    With a favourable draw and a bit of luck, we can make a semi-final. Much more likely though is to struggle through our group and get knocked out by Colombia/Uruguay/Chile in the next round.
  • Options

The last time we lost was against Sweden in Stockholm, 4-2 and Ibrahimovic scored four.

The last time we lost at home was against the Netherlands just before Euro 2012. Stuart Pearce was caretaker and we lost 3-2 with Robben scoring twice. Before that, we lost to France at Wembley shortly after the 2010 World Cup: 2-1.

The last time we lost a competitive game was against Germany at the last World Cup. 4-1 and we got humiliated. Before even that, we lost 1-0 in a friendly in Qatar against Brazil while Ukraine beat us 1-0 in WCQ in Ukraine in October 2009.

Spain beat us 2-0 in Sevilla in 2009 and France beat us 1-0 in Paris in 2008.

Our combined Capello/Pearce/Hodgson (post-Euro-2008-failure) is W41 D15 L8

Since 2006 Spain are W89 D8 L7
    So Spain have lost only one less game than England, interesting...
  • Options
    Hope we get the Jocks or Paddies in our group. Oh wait.
  • Options

Hope we get the Jocks or Paddies in our group. Oh wait.

What?
  • Options
    edited October 2013

The last time we lost was against Sweden in Stockholm, 4-2 and Ibrahimovic scored four.

The last time we lost at home was against the Netherlands just before Euro 2012. Stuart Pearce was caretaker and we lost 3-2 with Robben scoring twice. Before that, we lost to France at Wembley shortly after the 2010 World Cup: 2-1.

The last time we lost a competitive game was against Germany at the last World Cup. 4-1 and we got humiliated. Before even that, we lost 1-0 in a friendly in Qatar against Brazil while Ukraine beat us 1-0 in WCQ in Ukraine in October 2009.

Yeah and only won only 3 major tournaments more.
  • Options
    If the worst does happen and we do well, or heaven forbid w
    Rizzo said:

BIG_ROB said:

It does make me laugh,

Rizzo said:

I don't get the expectation of being a world cup winning side. Just because we invented the game doesn't give us some god-given right to beat the rest of the world. If we get to the last 8 I think it would be a major achievement. Winning it is just unrealistic.

With an attitude like that, why even bother getting on the pissing plane?

So do you think we're going to win it? Or even that we have a realistic chance of doing so?

Well put it this way pal, weirder things have happened. And if the worst does happen and we do well, I garantee most of you neighsayers will be in the boozer jumping on the bandwagon. England have let us all down in the past, but who know what will happen next year? Ffs
  • Options

There was no subtext to what I wrote, I thought in the light of some of the comments on here that it was genuinely interesting that England really are a hard team to beat.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Rizzo said:

BIG_ROB said:

It does make me laugh,

Rizzo said:

I don't get the expectation of being a world cup winning side. Just because we invented the game doesn't give us some god-given right to beat the rest of the world. If we get to the last 8 I think it would be a major achievement. Winning it is just unrealistic.

So do you think we're going to win it? Or even that we have a realistic chance of doing so?

Well put it this way pal, weirder things have happened. And if the worst does happen and we do well, I garantee most of you neighsayers will be in the boozer jumping on the bandwagon. England have let us all down in the past, but who know what will happen next year? Ffs
    I don't think we will win it Rob, but your point is spot on. I think there are several people on here would love to see England fail so they can say "I told you so". Their egos are more important to them than the happiness of the nation's football fans.
  • Options

There was no subtext to what I wrote, I thought in the light of some of the comments on here that it was genuinely interesting that England really are a hard team to beat.
    More of a dig at the gulf between the two nations and not at you.

We are hard to beat the stats don't lie. But we are no nearer winning a major tournament which is a shame.
  • Options
    I ain't gonna say we won't win as much as I ain't gonna say we will.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any idea what time of day, over here, the games kick-off ?
    Breakfast in the pub times ?
  • Options
    about 4pm - 7pm - 9pm - 11pm
  • Options
    I don't think we'll get past the quarters for a few reasons.

1. As a team we're not good enough

2. England players do not seem to cope well with long tournaments away from home. They don't build momentum and improve over games as others appears to do

3. We do often take unfit players and expect them to perform

But I hope that I'm wrong and we get to a semi or even the final.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Rizzo said:

BIG_ROB said:

It does make me laugh,

Rizzo said:

I don't think we will win it Rob, but your point is spot on. I think there are several people on here would love to see England fail so they can say "I told you so". Their egos are more important to them than the happiness of the nation's football fans.
    Absolutely spot on.

I get the feeling that those who get excited about England in the World Cup or god forbid even think they can do well seem subjected to some sort of ridicule. Its the biggest Footballing spectacle going, and it comes around once every four years. Realistically speaking, we aren't contenders, but why do people have to try and put a dampener on it all.

Dreaming about England winning the World Cup is what being a Football fan is all about. I really do feel sorry for those who just cannot help themselves in complaining about other people's excitement.
  • Options

about 4pm - 7pm - 9pm - 11pm

Thanks.

• Options
    It would be nice, for once, to go to a major tournament without any of our key players injured.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    "Will I be able to watch on TV or will I be working/sleeping?

If you like your evenings full of non-stop football and don't mind a late night, then you are very much in luck. After Brazil's opening day game, there follows a 10-day period with three matches per day, kicking off at 17:00 BST, 20:00 BST and 23:00 BST.

The second-round matches take place at 17:00 and 21:00 BST, the quarter-finals at 17:00 and 21:00 BST, the semi-finals at 21:00 BST and the final at 20:00 BST."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24518819
  • Options
    Perfect game times
  • Options
    I just get the feeling that England are 'due' at a major tournament, not necessarily to win it but to maybe get to the semis and once you get there then anything can happen.

As others have pointed out the line between success and failure is TINY, you are talking about the width of a goal post sometimes, if you get the rub of the green then anything can happen.

Of course, we are not going to outplay Spain or Brazil but we can still find a way to beat them, the critical thing is to give ourselves a chance which means no silly goals (Germany 2010) or sending offs (Portugal 2006).
  • Options
    The build up in the media is going to be painful. England expects .... Blah blah. In reality I'm glad we're there but I can't see past the first knockout round if were really playing ok. QF would be immense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England always find new ways to get knocked out of tournaments. As such, I predict we will get knocked out at half time of the 2nd group game.
  • Options
    England have a very significantly better chance of winning next summer's World Cup than Wigan had of winning last season's FA Cup.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    5761.84 miles or 9272.52 K
  • Options
    remember you only get between 15 and 20 world cups/ euros in your life time so how many have there been in your life so far

I am desperate for England to win one
  • Options

remember you only get between 15 and 20 world cups/ euros in your life time so how many have there been in your life so far

I am desperate for England to win one

Been there seen it done it NLA, comes highly recommended. Would love to experience it again though :0)
  • Options
    very envious of that mate can only imagine how great it mustve felt
  • Options

very envious of that mate can only imagine how great it mustve felt

Very similar emotions to the play off win over Sunderland but the latter topped it, pure Roy of the Rovers stuff. I love my country but my club is number one!
  • Options
    would for go all cafc achievements to witness England winning myself, I love my club but my country comes first for me
  • Options
    Club/country favouritism would be more of an open debate for me if our England team wernt so stupidly overpaid and hyped up.

Never turn your back on your country I love world cups etc to death but Charlton is Charlton and will always be number one whatever state we are in.

Looks like we are about to finish the job at Blackburn!
  • Options
    I think that we have got the weakest collection of individual players in my lifetime, but the best manager. What will happen in Brazil is anyone's guess but I think that where we get drawn will prove to be more important than who we get drawn against. And the winner will be from Brazil, Argentina or Germany.