Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How far can england go in Brazil 2014?

Comments

• Options
    What a surprise it comes just at a time when people are starting to feel positive about Roy Hodgson and the job he has done, plus the name on everyone's lips - Andros Townsend.

I despise the Football media in this country sometimes.
  • Options
    I think I can probably save the FA some money here whilst also meeting the demands of the prat in charge of Kick it Out, who has said ""All the FA has to do is examine the facts and make a statement."

Well, the facts are that Woy told a story involving a monkey in order to get a point across. The two people that the story was for the benefit of were black. Neither was offended by the comments as they were clearly not meant, or taken, in any racist context.

Job done. I reckon £100k should cover my costs for that.
  • Options
    Roy has apologised for any offence anyone would of had over this joke...

"Nasa decided they'd finally send a man up in a capsule after sending only monkeys in the earlier missions. They fire the man and the monkey into space. The intercom crackles: 'Monkey, fire the retros.' A little later: 'Monkey, check the solid fuel supply.' Later still: 'Monkey, check the life support systems for the man.' The astronaut takes umbrage and radios Nasa: 'When do I get to do something?' Nasa replies: 'In 15 minutes – feed the monkey.'"

Pathetic... and I don't mean the joke...
  • Options
    far too sensible Rizzo, there's no place for you in modern society.
  • Options
    The player who reported it was obviously too thick to understand the analogy. It's a shame Roy has seen fit to apologise for any offence.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    andros townsend ‏@andros_townsend 2h
    I don't know what all this fuss is about. No offence was meant and none was taken! It's not even news worthy!

James Maw ‏@JamesMawFFT 1h
    SSN have had the phrase "it's not even newsworthy" on their yellow 'breaking news' ticker for half an hour.
  • Options
    Probably Defoe the little judas grass.

Bet Sol is doing his beans this morning.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I see we're back up to 10th in the FIFA world rankings, not quite enough to get ourselves seeded sadly.

The seeds will be Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Switzerland and probably Uruguay although they have to win their play-off with Jordan. If not, the Netherlands will be seeded ahead of Italy and ourselves.

Anyone hoping we get drawn into Switzerland's group?
  • Options
    Could go into a group with Colombia/Uruguay/Switzerland, who i think we are stronger than. Be interesting.
  • Options
    The last time we lost was against Sweden in Stockholm, 4-2 and Ibrahimovic scored four.

The last time we lost at home was against the Netherlands just before Euro 2012. Stuart Pearce was caretaker and we lost 3-2 with Robben scoring twice. Before that, we lost to France at Wembley shortly after the 2010 World Cup: 2-1.

The last time we lost a competitive game was against Germany at the last World Cup. 4-1 and we got humiliated. Before even that, we lost 1-0 in a friendly in Qatar against Brazil while Ukraine beat us 1-0 in WCQ in Ukraine in October 2009.

Spain beat us 2-0 in Sevilla in 2009 and France beat us 1-0 in Paris in 2008.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amusing that we're ranked higher than Brazil.
  • Options
    I believe that is mainly a result of Brazil not playing any qualifiers.
  • Options

The last time we lost was against Sweden in Stockholm, 4-2 and Ibrahimovic scored four.

The last time we lost at home was against the Netherlands just before Euro 2012. Stuart Pearce was caretaker and we lost 3-2 with Robben scoring twice. Before that, we lost to France at Wembley shortly after the 2010 World Cup: 2-1.

The last time we lost a competitive game was against Germany at the last World Cup. 4-1 and we got humiliated. Before even that, we lost 1-0 in a friendly in Qatar against Brazil while Ukraine beat us 1-0 in WCQ in Ukraine in October 2009.

Our combined Capello/Pearce/Hodgson (post-Euro-2008-failure) is W41 D15 L8

• Options
    England now have some pace and trickery in the side I feel, so I think we will be in much better shape than recent competitions, as long as we have a bit of luck this time around; and I'm not talking about penalties. I mean all our key players fit and no stings by our beloved press on the manager (ala The News of the World on Ericsson).

In fact if the press kept their noses out and just limited their reports to the scores, it would be better! I mean all the stuff The S(c)um has come out with in the past, bowing out the way we have before almost seems a comeuppance.

Come on England! I'm optimistic we will make the knock out stage as we currently are and further still if Roy improves our defence.
  • Options

Our combined Capello/Pearce/Hodgson (post-Euro-2008-failure) is W41 D15 L8

Since 2006 Spain are W89 D8 L7
  • Options
    Im not sure anyone here is trying to compare us to Spain
  • Options
    Can't believe some people are getting so het up over such unimportant issues as where we will finish and how good we are!

The only important issue now is who's gonna do our song?
  • Options
    David Brent?
  • Options

David Brent?

No, but he is doing the official England WC 2014 interpretive dance.

• Options
    The Monkees ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Win the thing.

rooney and barkley (2 peas from the same pod) to take our game to a new.level and jordan cousins to boss the.middle.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Couple of friendlies announced for next month: Chile and Germany, both at Wembley. Would have loved the Argies or Aussies over the Chileans as the FA wanted but should still be good tests!
  • Options
    edited October 2013

England are terrible and had to wait for the last game in a shockingly weak group to qualify. The football played is shocking compared to other Nations.........and I don't just mean Spain, Brazil et al, I mean The 'lower ranked' nations. Hodgson was being criticised by everyone until the last two games, all of a sudden he's a hero!
    Obviously depending on the draw, England will be lucky to get out of the Group stages. The football played will be boring. Rooney, Gerrard etc will have another poor tournament. It will be balmed on the number of foreigners in the Premier etc etc etc.......we all know the story already.

• Options
    Any team can over achieve and that could happen to England. The thing is, we shouldn't expect to overachieve. We will need to be lucky with injuries and players on form to have any sort of chance of making an impact. Far more likely we will gert through our group stage then face a decent side and get knocked out.
  • Options
    Really excited about seeing Chile actually...they play some lovely Keegan-esque all out attack football with proper wing backs, should be a cracker
  • Options

Couple of friendlies announced for next month: Chile and Germany, both at Wembley. Would have loved the Argies or Aussies over the Chileans as the FA wanted but should still be good tests!

Not much point in playing the Aussies, they are abslute sh*te at the moment. Chile will be a good game, they play great football.

• Options
    Chile will be a good game - True that Argentina would have made more money! But, maybe easier to get a decent priced ticket for Chile.
  • Options
    Arrivals lounge..
  • Options
    How far can England go? Could win it. I rather doubt it and won't bet on it, but I'm glad to be there.

How must it feel to be a sweaty and keep having to watch England on the big stage...? Oh, hang on, a bit like being Charlton and watching Nigels and Spanners playing at Wembley last season perhaps?

As an Addick I am glad to be involved in a cup competition for once and I am going to enjoy it, win lose or draw.
  • Options
    Absolutely. It hurts when we get knocked out but some of the best piss ups I've had have been down the pub watching England at major tournaments with mates.