Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• As unfortunate as this is I did have to chuckle at the irony of " Rufus is listed as a “financial consultant” in view of his bankruptcy.

Wish him well and hope he can get back on his financial feet very soon.
  • Sad news. I wonder if it has anything to do with the failed business venture with Elliott?
  • God will provide

seriously, all time favorite player so wish u well roof
  • Very sad for Rufus. Classiest defender I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt and that goal at Wembley was immense.

I do believe that top footballers are overpaid these days, but there's a lot in recent years who are not in RR's class who probably "earned" more in a year than he did in his whole career.

Hope he gets himself sorted soon.
  • Horrible news. :(
  • Hope he gets back on his feet. Sad news, hope the club can come to his aid in some way.
  • Mendonca, Rufus ... not the luckiest play off team ever. Did he ever get a testimonial?
  • Sad to hear and hope he gets back on his feet soon.

However I don't have any more sympathy, indeed less, than I do for any old Joe out there. I agree that he wasn't financially rewarded anywhere near what the average PL player does these days BUT he was rewarded more handsomely than most on here and shouldn't be in the position he is now.
  • Kap10 said:

Mendonca, Rufus ... not the luckiest play off team ever. Did he ever get a testimonial?

Thinking about it, most of our shirt sponsors gone under over the years as well!
  • What a shame. My fav all time player. Hope he turns it around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Best centre back I have seen play for the club. At 29 it was a cruel age to retire for such a player of his talent. Could have easily played well into his mid to late thirties injuries permitting. Should have got an England call up around the same time as Powell.

Sorry to hear this. Hope he gets back on his feet soon. All the best Richard.
  • Unlike Mendonca Rufus never got a benefit match. Irrespective of this latest development this should be something which should have occurred particularly as he played 'nearly' the 10 year normal qualifying period.
  • He would have been paid (even when injured obviously) as a Premiership player for 4-5 seasons, as well as reasonable wages in the old First Division prior - however I agree that in the past decade, wages even for the smaller Premiership clubs have skyrocketed. Presumably he would also have had an insurance payout however.

However it must be a strange position for anyone of that age to be in when you go from being high-earning (but surely having a large pot of savings/investments) to a position where you have virtually no earnings power whatsoever. You are thus probably forced to invest that pot in a fairly aggressive way to try to generate the income and gains required to maintain a decent quality of life, yet you have no experience in that area (and are prime fodder to be fleeced).

Interesting to note from that site that others have have gone bust recently include John Carew, Lee Hendrie and Roy Carroll.
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Unlike Mendonca Rufus never got a benefit match. Irrespective of this latest development this should be something which should have occurred particularly as he played 'nearly' the 10 year normal qualifying period.

Some years ago when the Main Branch of CASC had morphed into Greenwich & Bexley CASC , it was announced by one of their committee that this was a planned event....

Unfortunately, we are still waiting as is Richard.

• JohnnyH2 said:

Unlike Mendonca Rufus never got a benefit match. Irrespective of this latest development this should be something which should have occurred particularly as he played 'nearly' the 10 year normal qualifying period.

Some years ago when the Main Branch of CASC had morphed into Greenwich & Bexley CASC , it was announced by one of their committee that this was a planned event....

Unfortunately, we are still waiting as is Richard.

I would certainly support a testimonial for him, however its not a real cash generator, our players (and groundsmen) have rarely benefited significantly from testimonial pay outs. Still be good to have one to honour his contribution.
  • edited October 2013
    The evening before CP was called up to the England squad for the first time He was at a LewishamCASC meeting in Sydenham. The rumours going round was that a CAFC player was going to be called up for the first time and it was generally agreed that it would be Richard. Obviously I, and many others, were well pleased that CP was called up but always thought that Richard would be in that group of 24 too.
  • NYA mentions Lee Hendrie above. He was featured in the programme Clarke Carlisle made about ex footballers and depression. Hendrie hit rock bottom and tried to take his life twice. He also lost homes, cars etc that he had bought for others such as his parents and it turned their lives upside down as well as his. He was so ashamed he didn't want to be here anymore. Thankfully he came through it and is trying to put his life back together but it's a sobering thought. I wonder what Gordon Taylor does for his massive annual salary?
  • Gutted for him :( Best defender I seen in a Charlton shirt
  • Very sad news. He didn't strike me as the sort of person to be reckless with his cash.
  • TelMc32 said:

Very sad for Rufus. Classiest defender I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt and that goal at Wembley was immense.

I do believe that top footballers are overpaid these days, but there's a lot in recent years who are not in RR's class who probably "earned" more in a year than he did in his whole career.

Hope he gets himself sorted soon.

This. Good luck Richard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think we need the bear in mind Richard's son posts on here.
  • Sad news wasn't there a thread a little while ago about him coaching the u10s? Not going to make him a millionaire I know but..
  • edited October 2013

Think we need the bear in mind Richard's son posts on here.

that is considerate of you

i hope he would be proud of the universal love of richard rufus

what a player what a clubman

the wembley goal was roof of the rovers stuff. You could not have made it up.

We have had lots of threads on rufus moments so why not some more. Henry gave him some tough times with ballskills when roof was back peddling, but i do remember seeing one straight 60m footrace between them once at the valley

Richard skinned him. Made my week ricky rufus skinned Henry
  • A true Charlton legend, should be on the coaching staff.
  • All the best Ruf.
  • Gorgeous guy, so very friendly, huggy and chatty, he was in Legends a while back. All the very best to him.
  • We've just had a 2nd testimonial for Paddy, it's not too late to have one for Sir Richard. He'd always be in my all-time Charlton back 4.
  • Roo-fuss Roo-fuss

good luck to RR - absolutely loved him as a player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCyvHIBSPV4

1min 25 secs in the above, amongst others
  • What wages can he have been on. Must have been 10k even back then?
  • That tackle against Spurs.....